• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man shoots bald eagle for hunting on his property, then runs it over with an ATV

ssunnamedjpg-c748a9_1280w-e1455768765791.jpg

Haha

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bald eagles were removed from the endangered species list 10 years ago, so I'm curious what law he broke?

Not saying what he did was right by any means, just curious why police are involved when the animal is not endangered. Can we not kill wild animals on our property at all?

Edit - Oh he didn't kill it with the gun, he used the ATV. That's probably considered animal torture.

all birds of prey are still protected federally, its illegal to even have a feather of one unless you are native american or a specially licensed falconer.

Phu

Banned
The Justice Department said the 62-year-old Smithfield resident Allen H. Thacker shot the eagle, according to a statement of facts filed with his plea agreement, because "he was upset it had been hunting and taking fish from a pond located on his property."

So he was upset the eagle was trying to live its life.

darscot

Send him to Canada

Say what? How rare are Eagles in the US now. I see one all the time on my drive to work. It does move around but when it's there I'll see it for a few weeks. I think it's a good hunting spot during a certain season. This is also in Surrey, BC which is pretty populated. How anyone could think of killing one is beyond me.

evil ways

For "stealing" fucking fish from a pond. Does this old coot even know how nature works?

I mean its not like the eagle flew and broke into the henhouse to eat chickens or pecked a cow to death.

zelas

Ahh, thank you!

It wasnt a permit to kill but a permit to "harass." The government also reimburses farmers. This guy could have started an eagle tourism business like this guy too lol.

GOLDSTEIN: But, Will says, even when the eagles fly away, they always come back later to eat more chickens. There is another way Will might be able to keep this chicken business going, it's a federal program that pays farmers whose livestock are killed by protected animals like, say, bald eagles.

Has the government given you any money for the eagles killing your chickens?

HARRIS: No.

GOLDSTEIN: Not one dollar?

HARRIS: Not one dollar.

GOLDSTEIN: How much do you think they should give you?

HARRIS: The maximum is $125,000 per year. And they owe me that for '15 and '16.

GOLDSTEIN: A government spokesperson told me the case is under review by the local office, and they're not allowed to discuss the details. But Will Harris is clearly resourceful, and now he's trying something new. At one point as we're driving around the farm, Will stops to talk to the driver of a pickup truck.

HARRIS: Hey. How are y'all?

GOLDSTEIN: In the bed there's a photographer with a camera with this giant telephoto lens. People come to the farm now to see the eagles. Will had an eagle day just before I visited. He also rents out cabins to visitors.

Redd

I see multiple bald eagles on lamp posts and power lines just about every where here in Virginia. Would never kill them because they look very cool and they're our nations bird.

I wonder what they'll do to this guy. He deserves some sort of punishment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was driving on the 520 bridge the morning one of the Bridge's mated pair of Bald Eagles got fuckin' creamed by a bus.

Freedom died that day, and it made the local news, but was reborn as it turns out Bald Eagles are like fucking pigeons up here. In fact, I LITERALLY see more Bald Eagles than pigeons here.

Top Bottom