• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

Flying Witch - (ongoing) Impression

This is a very comfy SoL. Probably the closest one to Yotsubato! execution in its SoL formula. Daily occurrence where the characters just interacting with each other, some occasional witch-stuff but nothing too serious. So definitely much better than that SoL I've read some months ago and ended up pretty subpar due to the amount of drama and serious plot and unnatural infodump. The girls are cute, the story and the art is comfy. Go read it if you like cute girls and haven't already.

This is all I can say.

Akane best brown onee-chan
Inukai (nonhuman) is a cutie

This is a very comfy SoL. Probably the closest one to Yotsubato! execution in its SoL formula. Daily occurrence where the characters just interacting with each other, some occasional witch-stuff but nothing too serious. So definitely much better than that SoL I've read some months ago and ended up pretty subpar due to the amount of drama and serious plot and unnatural infodump. The girls are cute, the story and the art is comfy. Go read it if you like cute girls and haven't already.

This is all I can say.

This makes me highly look forward to the upcoming anime.

Reading this current Flashback for Freezing and man that shit was just cold as fuck (freezing? :/)

Aoi Genjo might have surpassed Lelouch as the true magnificent Bastard LOLOLOLOL

upandaway

This is all I can say.

It's one of my favorite ongoing series right now, so nice. Anime will hopefully be amazing (hopefully there's enough material for it)

Saike Mata Shitemo 15-16

dTp1YTQ.jpg

this cover is so good

and this main character is the childhood friend to end all childhood friends
he redoes a day 42 times so she can get the perfect haircut
each day having to run over and over again
my god, no one can possbiliy compare to his determination here
best mc

and then cats

Lain

Taoist (Entre Ciel Et Terre / Tra Cielo E Terra) volume 1 by Golo Zhao

The story starts off by showing us a young girl, XiaoBa, who has just lost her mother. She's left with her grandmother and most people in the village badmouth her, saying she brings misfortune and that's why her mother died. Only one kid, Ming, a bit older than XiaoBa, is friend with her, helping her and her grandma.

The nastiness of the villagers in the story is disturbing. The adults are shown laughing at XiaoBa's struggle while badmouthing her, while the kids throw rocks at her or try to beat her up, because of all the misfortune badmouthing from the adults.

Initially I thought this was going to be a story about XiaoBa and her struggles as she grew up, given how she was the center piece in the narration but after a certain event in the story everything changes and it became the story of Ming, how he's living after
XiaoBa's mysterious disappearance
and the interaction with supernatural creatures.

After I finished reading the first volume I felt a sense of uneasiness. Firstly, I wanted to know more of the story and the characters introduced in the second half of the volume. Secondly, I wanted to see certain characters suffer because of their actions.
The event that changed the focus of the story was XiaoBa's mysterious disappearance. Initially it is shown that XiaoBa supposedly went up a giant tree to try and reach the stars (as she believed her mother had become a star in the sky and kept looking on her daughter from up there) and the only thing left behind, on the giant tree, are her shoes. Later on it is shown that the three asshole kids that wanted to beat her up actually killed her and buried her body while one of them went up the tree to leave her shoes up top.
Sadly I'll have to wait for later volumes to get what I want.

So, I liked the story and I liked the direction of the story. I also liked the art. There is a nice amount of details put in both the characters and the backgrounds. The character designs, or I should maybe say their faces, feel somewhat simple yet expressive. Certain close-ups kinda remind me of Asano for some reasons.

From what I know, this work is available in France and in Italy. Not sure if it's available somewhere else but it gets a recommendation from me as a worthwhile read, in case you can get your hands on it.

Spent the last few days reading through 100ish yuri doujins. I need an adult. Or an onee-sama.

Fortune Arterial 1-43 (END)
An [MC] transfers to an island school with waifus and vampires and vampire waifus, then proceeds to have meaningful [MC] relationships with them. It's a generic VN setup with generic VN characters, and if I had more common sense I would've dropped it <10 chapters in. But for some reason I persevered, and that probably wasn't a mistake, since I found the 'villain' interesting enough for the endgame to be fairly entertaining. No real inclination to check out the source material or anime though.

UQ Holder 12-98

After putting this down for like a year, I finally got caught up. The harem game isn't as strong with Touta as with Negi.

True but the series is also going for battle shonen with nods to romcom as opposed to romcom jk half battle shonen half romcom jk battle shonen with nods to romcom. Touta's harem also has been adding girls 1 by 1 as opposed to Negima that started with 31 girls chapter 1.

Shengar

Taoist (Entre Ciel Et Terre / Tra Cielo E Terra) volume 1 by Golo Zhao

The story starts off by showing us a young girl, XiaoBa, who has just lost her mother. She's left with her grandmother and most people in the village badmouth her, saying she brings misfortune and that's why her mother died. Only one kid, Ming, a bit older than XiaoBa, is friend with her, helping her and her grandma.

The nastiness of the villagers in the story is disturbing. The adults are shown laughing at XiaoBa's struggle while badmouthing her, while the kids throw rocks at her or try to beat her up, because of all the misfortune badmouthing from the adults.

Initially I thought this was going to be a story about XiaoBa and her struggles as she grew up, given how she was the center piece in the narration but after a certain event in the story everything changes and it became the story of Ming, how he's living after
XiaoBa's mysterious disappearance
and the interaction with supernatural creatures.

After I finished reading the first volume I felt a sense of uneasiness. Firstly, I wanted to know more of the story and the characters introduced in the second half of the volume. Secondly, I wanted to see certain characters suffer because of their actions.
The event that changed the focus of the story was XiaoBa's mysterious disappearance. Initially it is shown that XiaoBa supposedly went up a giant tree to try and reach the stars (as she believed her mother had become a star in the sky and kept looking on her daughter from up there) and the only thing left behind, on the giant tree, are her shoes. Later on it is shown that the three asshole kids that wanted to beat her up actually killed her and buried her body while one of them went up the tree to leave her shoes up top.
Sadly I'll have to wait for later volumes to get what I want.

So, I liked the story and I liked the direction of the story. I also liked the art. There is a nice amount of details put in both the characters and the backgrounds. The character designs, or I should maybe say their faces, feel somewhat simple yet expressive. Certain close-ups kinda remind me of Asano for some reasons.

From what I know, this work is available in France and in Italy. Not sure if it's available somewhere else but it gets a recommendation from me as a worthwhile read, in case you can get your hands on it.
Well this is depressing

Zweizer

Banned

This is all I can say.

One of the most relaxing SoL series around~
If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you also check out Hinamatsuri, if you want a different kind of slice of life. I'm sure you'll love it.

Meh, I envy Lain for being able to buy obscure stuff translated in a langauge he is proficient in.

I'd have thought it was available in Chinese as well, but apparently not? Huh.

Spent the last few days reading through 100ish yuri doujins. I need an adult. Or an onee-sama.

You'll be perfectly fine~

Is it just me or has there been an increase in it lately? It feels like there's a lot more than before.

Well, you certainly won't see me complaining~

True but the series is also going for battle shonen with nods to romcom as opposed to romcom jk half battle shonen half romcom jk battle shonen with nods to romcom. Touta's harem also has been adding girls 1 by 1 as opposed to Negima that started with 31 girls chapter 1.

yeah, I think I prefer it being more battle focused with the the romcom on the side. Either way, I like both series though.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul :re 50

Jeeez
Souta
send them off in a more humane way would you ? It was really hard for me to believe in this theory when it surfaced and I can't quite believe Ishida chose to put this reveal in such a mundane place. I thought
we wouldn't learn of Souta's identity till near the very end. How does he pass through CCG detectors without triggering them ? Unless he really isn't a ghoul but then how would that even work.

Not a fan of skipping again a major point of a fight. Needed a few secs to figure wth happened. I suppose that ending means Kanae arrived.

Ed: Kijima getting up after having his head cleaved in half was a bit too much. Unless he
was a ghoul too.

B.O.O.M

Black Clover 35

Finally a good chapter again. Didn't see that coming to be honest...glad it strayed from the normal flow of events of a shounen story line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom