• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 182

okay it's most likely not going to be an incest angle
although it could happen if that's all they have left to extend the story

Shun

AKB49 ending in few more issues, does anyone recommend good seitenkan comic?

AKB49 did seitenkan differently and well, something like that if possible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I googled seitenkan and now i'm on my way to jail thanks shun.

Shun

Have you read Prunus Girl?

No. But I'm open to recommendation and I'm probably going to check stuff out the weekend. AKB49 is just an exception and I was wondering if anything similar to it.

I'll ask my local kino, one of the workers reads this stuff.

Edit: I've watched Host because my girlfriend asked me to but I've never read it...

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
One of those instances where I had seen clips of the anime around and decided to eschew watching that and go for the source material. Basic premise is main girl Kobeni wakes up on her 16th birthday to find she's been engaged to a man and said man Hakuya (with his little sister Mashiro) ends up living with her. And then there's the older sister Benio that is a crazed sis con that has all sorts of problems with this scenario.

I've read up through chapter 56 and it's been pretty decent. Plus, I appreciate this being a 4 koma manga that manages to fit in gags regularly while continuing to tell a sometimes serious story. The most surprising part though is that while I had always gotten the impression that at least demons or aliens were involved, the fact they're there and exist disguised as humans is pretty subdued. Like, there's no overtly supernatural bullshit that is being abused in the open, aside form the occasional character leaping from rooftops with ease. Just a couple of Youkai up from the mountains doing their best to appear as subtle and human as possible.

Though in all honesty, Benio's antics and absurd sis con tendencies are why I've stuck with it thus far. She has provided most of the entertainment for me, and has even snapped a couple times into yandere mode (though it is rather tame) whenever Kobeni and Hakuya get too close. As always, it's the crazy ones that end up being the main appeal for me.

Busaiku

thank you for correction I'm not familiar with this genre. I read pervert male shit like prison school and okusan.

josou/dansou genre recommendation would be appreciated.
New one started up, Boy Skirt.
It's pretty good so far, but it's really early on.

Mononofu 01-06

8Mg0Om6.jpg

Shouji is amazing!

Jump attempts to make shouji the next big thing and from this series by golly I hope they do.

The main character is very likable. An earnest kid who suddenly found something he's being praised for and a group of people who like him after years of being shunned. Does a good job building his character and making it so the reader likes him.

Also, does a good job on explaining shouji to people without overwhelming them. It's not the most action packed game but it does a good job of having the reader interested in it.

I really do hope this series goes far, cause I'm really enjoying it.
now someone can tell me it's doing absolutely terribly in the rankings to crush me

The thing with Toriko is I care for the old dudes more then the main cast

since the author is really good in world building but has yet to release the flashback for any of the 4HK

I mean bloody Yuda and Komatsu's friend got a flashback and Toriko has yet to receive one

On another note the villain groups need more characterization..... He was going somewhere with the Bishokukai (showcasing their interactions with one another and so on) but Neo is super lacking.... We don't know who is under mind control and who is willing to be part of Neo and we don't see those people interact with each other.

He should've just continued on with the Bishokukai since they had class and actually felt like a good manga villain group.... hence why they have more fan art then the 4HK let alone Neo lol

What I would do is kill off Neo completely.... make Acacia go to space or something for evil purposes..... Have Midora regroup his Bishokukai and give them more panel time again..... and bloody give us back stories for the 4HK

I say that rant about Toriko but at least they had the Bishokukai as classy mofos

I fear for Boku no Hero.... so far the villians are lukewarm with the exception of the big bad that I don't know enough to judge

hopefully it finds a path to take

edit: I guess it is just series that have to many groups..... even OP suffered from this

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tomo-chan 203

Shit's heavy in Tomo's house.

Ippo 1116

Oh shit, I completely forgot about Takamura's rage mode. RIP Bison, you had a good life.

Tomo-chan 203

Shit's heavy in Tomo's house.

Ippo 1116

Oh shit, I completely forgot about Takamura's rage mode. RIP Bison, you had a good life.

A lot of people are saying how BS it is that Takamura is still standing after taking so many hits and I'm like; "Did you guys read his fight with Hawk?" He probably got a worse beating in that fight then he did in this one.

Droplet

Gisèle Alain 10-21

Gisèle continues to do odd jobs, helping out a cute couple with their crepe shop, convincing some ship repairman to do his job, and babysitting at a circus. The 'odd jobs' premise works quite well here, as I'm not sure Gisèle on her own would be so interesting without the help of the changing cast of side characters and settings, and if anything seems iffy it's usually done within a chapter or two. It's definitely a fun series for leisure reading, in any case, as it's pretty easy to pick up or put down, and personally I enjoy looking at the pretty clothes and backgrounds.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Gunslinger Girl - fin.

Italy's Social Welfare Agency claims to help rehabilitate the physically injured, but it's a front for scooping up dying or disabled young girls, rebuilding them through experimental brainwashing drugs and cybernetic tech, and sending them out to combat the Padania, a powerful right-wing terrorist group who threaten to rip the country apart.

Gunslinger Girl is really, really good, even if the basic setup sounds admittedly silly for something played so serious. The backbone to the story is Jean and Jose Croce, brothers who lost their family to terrorists, and now act as handlers to the girls. Jean is cold and bitter, even to his cyborg, Rico, and Jose dotes a little too much on his cyborg, Henrietta, making him wonder if he's subconsciously replacing his and Jean's dead kid sister with her. How the brothers grow, especially in the final volumes, kind of surprised me. Elsewhere, the story is peppered with a number of flashbacks, how all the important characters came to be and whatnot. They're well-told, paced nicely, and often depressing as hell. One of the girls, Petra, who we see a good bit of in her pre-cyborg life, comes off like a real teenage girl, and her path to the agency was quite harsh.

The character art in this is a little so-so in the first few volumes, but the mangaka improves greatly after a certain point. Backdrops are gorgeous and detailed, some wonderfully drawn panels of Italy. Action scenes, while not always the focus in GS, are still fantastic. Panels are clear and concise. Gunshots, gun wounds, and angry / pained faces were all done well. The last few volumes are very chaotic, but everything looks clean and is easy to follow.

There's some minor things I could complain about, like the very final chapter laying it on a little too thick, but the story already had a proper conclusion by that point, so I can just write that one off. Some stylistic choice (I'm assuming) with not drawing one eye at times is kind of weird too, but those nitpicks are all w/e. Gunslinger Girl was an excellent read, with the right amounts of tragedy, politics, and bullets.

Pachael

AKB49 ending in few more issues, does anyone recommend good seitenkan comic?

AKB49 did seitenkan differently and well, something like that if possible.

That term should apply to Boku Girl (gender transformed)

Have you read Prunus Girl?

This and Kuragehime for 'josou' (boy crossdressing)

Guess there's Ouran and Hanakimi for 'dansou'. (girl crossdressing)

F-Compo has both (Tsukasa Hojo of City Hunter fame)

Premax, but it isn't translated though. It runs in You g Jump. I have the volumes.

Well this does fit the initial question.

Shun

That term should apply to Boku Girl (gender transformed)

This and Kuragehime for 'josou' (boy crossdressing)

Guess there's Ouran and Hanakimi for 'dansou'. (girl crossdressing)

F-Compo has both (Tsukasa Hojo of City Hunter fame)

Well this does fit the initial question.

Thank you, yeah mistake I fix earlier. I don't read these genre often at all.

AKB49 Ch. 254

(´;д;`)

My heart I can't take it anymore... I love how they're wrapping up Minoru and Hiroko relationship.

Arisu's arc was painful enough last year since it coincided with koe no katachi, so many tears then already...

8 chapters left...

kinger256

Gunslinger Girl - fin.

Italy's Social Welfare Agency claims to help rehabilitate the physically injured, but it's a front for scooping up dying or disabled young girls, rebuilding them through experimental brainwashing drugs and cybernetic tech, and sending them out to combat the Padania, a powerful right-wing terrorist group who threaten to rip the country apart.

Gunslinger Girl is really, really good, even if the basic setup sounds admittedly silly for something played so serious. The backbone to the story is Jean and Jose Croce, brothers who lost their family to terrorists, and now act as handlers to the girls. Jean is cold and bitter, even to his cyborg, Rico, and Jose dotes a little too much on his cyborg, Henrietta, making him wonder if he's subconsciously replacing his and Jean's dead kid sister with her. How the brothers grow, especially in the final volumes, kind of surprised me. Elsewhere, the story is peppered with a number of flashbacks, how all the important characters came to be and whatnot. They're well-told, paced nicely, and often depressing as hell. One of the girls, Petra, who we see a good bit of in her pre-cyborg life, comes off like a real teenage girl, and her path to the agency was quite harsh.

The character art in this is a little so-so in the first few volumes, but the mangaka improves greatly after a certain point. Backdrops are gorgeous and detailed, some wonderfully drawn panels of Italy. Action scenes, while not always the focus in GS, are still fantastic. Panels are clear and concise. Gunshots, gun wounds, and angry / pained faces were all done well. The last few volumes are very chaotic, but everything looks clean and is easy to follow.

There's some minor things I could complain about, like the very final chapter laying it on a little too thick, but the story already had a proper conclusion by that point, so I can just write that one off. Some stylistic choice (I'm assuming) with not drawing one eye at times is kind of weird too, but those nitpicks are all w/e. Gunslinger Girl was an excellent read, with the right amounts of tragedy, politics, and bullets.

I remember being numb from reading through all of this in 3 days. Some of the most touching and heart-wrenching moments I've ever read. The concluding chapters after the final fight were a of a letdown though. The ending was especially ridiculous and stupid. It didn't fit with the rest of the story and felt like a forced a bittersweet ending.

I also didn't care for Petrushka and Sandro as much as I did the other handlers. Never could figure out why.

Zweizer

Banned
thank you for correction I'm not familiar with this genre. I read pervert male shit like prison school and okusan.

josou/dansou genre recommendation would be appreciated.

On top of Prunus Girl, Oto Koi should fit the bill as well, though it's composed of simple short stories.

Shun

AKB49 254 again.

After revisiting past episodes back to 254 I still crying. At first I didn't like how they were going about the whole reveal, but reading back it's better this way since the slightest opening can destroy all the work you've built up. One mess up and jenga tower falls. They did a great job conveying how all the accumulated pressure came crashing down on Minori. To see all the support but at the same time all the pain of going out not on your own terms. It hurts. Takamina's reaction and resolve...

How Hiroko has developed post NMB and post Sousenkyo and her resolve after her realization and accumulated experience. Her turn to save.

It's like when Minori learned sign language for Arisu and did whatever she could to help Arisu... Regardless of the inconsistencies the whole series was always about the character relationship and development. It is touching. 8 issues of crying left..

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kiss My Ass ch12.5

Oh c'mon.

The disappointment. First few pages, i was happy, then i reach the end... Ending could kiss my ass!

UQ Holder 101

My oh my Kuromaru... yes please.

Biorg Trinity 1-13

From the author of Jorge Joestar and the artist of Air Gear, come this weird but kinda fascinating manga. Not gonna lie, the introduction is confusing. There's giant monster rampaging in the background, but protag and the other treat it like it's a normal occurrence, cloned police, mandragora teacher, protagonist suddenly having a heart shaped hole in hand, girl turning into spider for some reason, and other mindfuckery. Only after the introduction that the story start shaping into something coherent and become much more enjoyable. The artwork is great and detailed, though it sometime looks very busy and could confuse reader on what the hell going on.

The premise, sometime in the future, there's a disease called bio bug that cause it victim having a hole in their hand. The hole granted it owner the ability to absorb any object they like, that include living thing. The object can fuse with its owner and manifest the way the user want it. For example, one of the character can change any part of her body into a bike, transforming her breast into headlight, even transform into a bike. World war III happen due to several bio bug victim to abusing their power, and after the great war, the whole world start stabilize. Bio bug victim, now dubber burglar can now live normally and even implement their power for their own convenience under government supervision. Of course any burglar that decide to abuse their power will be hunted by a certain organization that specialized in killing burglar.

The main plot started around chapter 5, with the goal of several character explained, and protagonist fusing with an object and start using his power to fight. At that point, i start enjoying the story more and more. And the artwork, man that artwork sure is something. Oh Great is great when drawing character movement, detailed machinery, or high speed battle.

So yeah, it's enjoyable. I think i'm in for the ride.

The disappointment. First few pages, i was happy, then i reach the end... Ending could kiss my ass!

UQ Holder 101

My oh my Kuromaru... yes please.

Biorg Trinity 1-13

From the author of Jorge Joestar and the artist of Air Gear, come this weird but kinda fascinating manga. Not gonna lie, the introduction is confusing. There's giant monster rampaging in the background, but protag and the other treat it like it's a normal occurrence, cloned police, mandragora teacher, protagonist suddenly having a heart shaped hole in hand, girl turning into spider for some reason, and other mindfuckery. Only after the introduction that the story start shaping into something coherent and become much more enjoyable. The artwork is great and detailed, though it sometime looks very busy and could confuse reader on what the hell going on.

The premise, sometime in the future, there's a disease called bio bug that cause it victim having a hole in their hand. The hole granted it owner the ability to absorb any object they like, that include living thing. The object can fuse with its owner and manifest the way the user want it. For example, one of the character can change any part of her body into a bike, transforming her breast into headlight, even transform into a bike. World war III happen due to several bio bug victim to abusing their power, and after the great war, the whole world start stabilize. Bio bug victim, now dubber burglar can now live normally and even implement their power for their own convenience under government supervision. Of course any burglar that decide to abuse their power will be hunted by a certain organization that specialized in killing burglar.

The main plot started around chapter 5, with the goal of several character explained, and protagonist fusing with an object and start using his power to fight. At that point, i start enjoying the story more and more. And the artwork, man that artwork sure is something. Oh Great is great when drawing character movement, detailed machinery, or high speed battle.

So yeah, it's enjoyable. I think i'm in for the ride.

Finally someone else is reading best seinen.

----

Best BLack Clover cosplays sill doing it. I love the Yuno so much.
CTiYoRcVAAA-aWn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom