• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

All at the same time? Woah.

It seems they over-published a bit? The market wasn't strong enough to support all these series.

If only that was all it was. It's not that the publisher dropped them because of (low) sales, which is annoying as well when it happens. It's that the re-negotiation to keep the licenses (that Kodansha gave to an entity -GP Manga- that got absorbed by another -BD Edizioni- making matters complicated I guess) failed (for whatever reasons) so they lost the licenses on all Kodansha titles (they can keep selling already printed volumes until the 30 of June for some of them, after which all leftover volumes will be destroyed).

Over publishing is the main sport for manga publishers in Italy I'd say. To give this a little context, last November 157 manga volumes were published. Number of volumes can and do vary month by month. But they wouldn't stop over publishing unless they were going under, and even then...

graphics-fire-engine-934450.gif

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

ME AND THE DEVIL BLUES CHAPTER 29

I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A FUCKING DRILL.

graphics-fire-engine-934450.gif

Lest you ever forgot the intensity of Hiramoto's art before he did Prison School, this chapter will be a damn good reminder. Honestly this man is unbelievable. Two extremely distinct 9/10 or even 10/10 series running at the same time, both with downright spectacular and distinct art? One a raunchy sex comedy with the most overblown proportions ever and the other a historical drama manga about a black musician in the 1920s? What kind of combo is that even? Are you even allowed to be this good???

Zweizer

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues ch29

I've never read a recap chapter that flow so naturally before.

Still as gripping as ever. Hiramoto da god.

Erigu

[...]
Two extremely distinct 9/10 or even 10/10 series running at the same time, both with downright spectacular and distinct art?
Note that that particular episode you've just read was actually published back in 2007, well before Prison School.

Famassu

Hmm... Me and the Devil Blues sounds intriguing. Is it worth getting into? Does it seem like something that will have some kind of end at some point in the next 5-10 years? Seems like there was some big gap/slower release period between 2007-2015 where it didn't advance all that much and only the (pre-)2007 volumes 1-4 have been released in English so far.

Zweizer

Banned
Note that that particular episode you've just read was actually published back in 2007, well before Prison School.

Ah, that's good to know. At which chapter did the series interrupt originally?

Hmm... Me and the Devil Blues sounds intriguing. Is it worth getting into? Does it seem like something that will have some kind of end at some point in the next 5-10 years? Seems like there was some big gap/slower release period between 2007-2015 where it didn't advance all that much and only the (pre-)2007 volumes 1-4 have been released in English so far.

It's definitely very much worth your time. Great story set in an underused setting with incredible art. No idea if it'll end soon, but I'd personally prefer that it does not, and don't regret hopping onto this ride.

Erigu

[Me and the Devil Blues]
At which chapter did the series interrupt originally?
I'm not entirely sure. Going by the way the volumes number them, it should be episode 31 or 32 (meaning 32 or 33 would be the first "new" episode from last year).

Zweizer

Banned
[Me and the Devil Blues]

I'm not entirely sure. Going by the way the volumes number them, it should be episode 31 or 32 (meaning 32 or 33 would be the first "new" episode from last year).

I see, thanks for the information. Guess we'll still have to wait a bit before we get to see if the art evolved.

Zweizer

Banned
Welcome! Enjoy your stay~

You should consider picking up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and One Punch-Man if you're into actions series, or Prison School, Solanin and Yotsuba&! if you'd like something a bit different.

Zushin

Welcome! Enjoy your stay~

You should consider picking up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and One Punch-Man if you're into actions series, or Prison School, Solanin and Yotsuba&! if you'd like something a bit different.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check those out. If I'm looking for something with a samurai flavour, my googling around has led me to believe Lone Wolf and Cub would be a good choice. Opinions?

Zweizer

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check those out. If I'm looking for something with a samurai flavour, my googling around has led me to believe Lone Wolf and Cub would be a good choice. Opinions?

Haven't read it yet, but Usobuko seems to love it, along with Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal.

I think it is one of the greatest comics ever created. It was written 45 years ago but it holds up very well. You will be hard pressed to find comics that depict motion better even today.

Dark Horse's new omnibus editions are quite decent too though I would recommend reading it digitally.

Zushin

Haven't read it yet, but Usobuko seems to love it, along with Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal.

I think it is one of the greatest comics ever created. It was written 45 years ago but it holds up very well. You will be hard pressed to find comics that depict motion better even today.

Dark Horse's new omnibus editions are quite decent too though I would recommend reading it digitally.

Fantastic. Thanks guys! Really looking forward to digging in.

Usobuko

Banned

It's a classic.

I don't think you would go wrong if you seek more prominent samurai theme manga too. Stuff like Blade of the Immortal, Vagabond, Takemitsu Zamurai etc.

Keijo 77

Reminds me of that scene at the end of the 2nd TTGL movie when the drills clash and it zooms out to the scope of the universe, but the drills are breasts

Fire Brigade of Flames 17-18

Worms, flames, salvation, worms, pain, BURN, worms HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
No Hope..... NANI?
basically in a nutshell he overcomes her rant with willpower and I expect later on she will have a thing for him due to him ranting he will do this for her

Lain

Keijo ch77

Who said boobs were underpowered?

Those pesky "boobs are lesser butts" infidels.

Keijo 77

Awwww. I guess it was to be expected, as the way it was going would have made the third race somewhat pointless otherwise.
I trust Nozomi will pull off something crazy cool in the next chapters and win the whole thing, plus add new members to her growing harem.

bobohoro

Keijo 77

Expected outcome, unexpectedly awesome match.
Still, drilling boobs aren't all that attractive. I mean, that got to get your skin out of shape rather quickly.

Tomo-chan 251

Mangaka really needs to stop drawing Misuzu with her hair down in meticulously perfect sex hair detail. It's really fucking distracting.

Furyous

Reincarnator 32 and 33

Hansoo keeps pissing off the clans and galvanized his own force for the battle ahead. Now it's a situation where the clans are pissed off and have a special forces ready to fight him.

This web novel is survival horror mixed with the reincarnation element of SAO mixed with strategy found in mangas. It's a great web novel and worth the read IMHO.

Nisekoi 205

I mean we really don't need to waste chapters on these false build ups now... just slice through all the rejected Harem members as quickly as possible

Famassu

Uzumaki: End

Uuumh. Really liked a lot of this manga. There were some silly aspects that were a bit too ridiculous & kind of ruined the tension at times (the whole hair-thing and gangs riding the tornadoes), but there was enough creepiness throughout to hold my interest. The art was really nice, some truly disturbing images all over the manga. The finale got maybe a bit... boring? There was no more sense of danger past a certain point and really no more new, inventive threats introduced, just re-treading some of the old stuff.

And then it just kinda... ended. Explanation found. The End. Felt a bit anticlimactic. All in all something I'm happy I read, but maaaybe doesn't enter my all time favorite mangas.

Uzumaki: End

Uuumh. Really liked a lot of this manga. There were some silly aspects that were a bit too ridiculous & kind of ruined the tension at times (the whole hair-thing and gangs riding the tornadoes), but there was enough creepiness throughout to hold my interest. The art was really nice, some truly disturbing images all over the manga. The finale got maybe a bit... boring? There was no more sense of danger past a certain point and really no more new, inventive threats introduced, just re-treading some of the old stuff.

And then it just kinda... ended. Explanation found. The End. Felt a bit anticlimactic. All in all something I'm happy I read, but maaaybe doesn't enter my all time favorite mangas.

Ito kind of sucks at endings.

Gintama 574-575

them metal tank slicing swords lol... I get the Yato but everyone is basically a mini navy fleet in uber power

ships, tanks, platoons of people all are nothing to them.... UmiBouzo is another beast entirely

Kamui killing the 1st division guy and taking is Buster Sword is amusing to say the least... doesn't even care about what is currently going on with the war and stuff but instead took this opportunity to face of against his pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom