• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
KCtn3PS.png

Swap Hisako with Ikumi Mito (Meat) and we're good, also yeah French glasses guy has to die in a fire.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - 471
Another godlike panel.

UberTag

Gakkou Gurashi 52

This was easily one of the best and most tense chapters since the anime cutoff point at Chapter 30.
It's been a couple of years since I've had this much anxiety reading Gakkou Gurashi. It's a welcome feeling.

I stopped reading just after the Solomon flashback and have been waiting for it to end to catch up. The battle of Magnostadt was when I felt the tone shift hard and the series lost its Luster for me. Up until that point, I was all in. I even remember when the series was a thread darling, but a lot of readers seem to have dropped it too.

I honestly don't post about it much because it doesn't get an official simulpub release and I've gotten into the habit of reading manga at consistent times each week when Viz Jump and Crunchy update. I end up reading magi in chunks with the other irregular update manga.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch471

Still trying to deny it.

Car Graffiti JK ch14

SUV drivers are the worst.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch8

I think they forgot something. Well, it doesn't look like they'll be able to hide it for much longer anyways.

Moaradin

Demon's Plan 1

Wasn't really feeling this one at all. Where's the hook? It was pretty generic and nothing about the world or characters were interesting.

Red Sprite 13

This fight with the Ash Soldier guy is actually kinda cool. Too little too late I guess.

Shokugeki no Soma 192

I actually was hoping they''d go for the Elite 10 soon. It could provide a good shake up this manga needs right now. Also, Rindo continues to be the best.

The Promised Neverland 16

Don you idiot.

My Hero Academia 116

Bakugou has been on Deku's ass about his quirk for a while now. Hopefully this is the payoff I've been waiting for.

JulianImp

Helck - #1 (barely started)
Man, I love how Vermillio repeatedly calls out that something's fishy with Helck, and the next couple panels always have him doing some absolutely non-threatening thing, almost as if he was conciously messing with her.

I also got #3 for ¥108, but don't have #2, so I'll probably have to wait until I can pick that volume up for cheap (ie: not for ¥310 unless I can't help it).

Helck is some good shit. Makes you laugh, makes you sad, makes you sadly laugh...basically those two emotions. Remember, Helck is a gag manga!

I also think after reading Magicalize (shut up, I know) I've added to the hypothesis I was working on and taking from that Film Daily article in that while men in Japan saw women as a sign of escapism and freedom that they did not have they also were jealous/angry at them for having that freedom simultaneously. As such while the female characters are strong or have their own motivations they often ended up naked or sexualized or in compromising situations because while men longed for that freedom they didn't like that women had it and so wanted to keep a reminder that women were "under them" or lesser or they were still the ones in control or in power. Unfortunately I think it has continued to this day and been shaped somewhat by women becoming more aggressive and entering the workspace of men so it's taken on a much stronger "id" driven tilt where their anger at their freedom being gone and then the objects of their envy usurping or breaking the illusion by joining the same workforce.

I mean, how many times have you seen a strong female character end up need rescuing by either a weak male stand-in or the overpowered 'I am strong when rescuing a woman' character? How many of those times have had the woman drawn to emphasize her body? How often have they been captured or defeated or not kicked a dude's ass by something such as getting groped on a train? Asking for someone, anyone to save them even though they are more than capable of doing it themself but "can't" due to nothing at all? What about when a woman's arm is held behind her back and suddenly "all my strength is gone" or "my head is feeling funny"? While in the real world there are definitely situations where a woman is scared to speak up or do something when taken advantage of by someone, how often does this go against a female character's...um...character in a manga or anime?

This ties into what 4 is a cutie asked before about the differences in ecchi and I think this clarified it a bit for me. There is a HUGE difference between the ecchi you would see in Mai Ball and the ecchi you would see in Magicalize. There is an undercurrent of "violence" attached to bad ecchi, and I'm only using the term violence because I can't think of a more proper term at the moment, but it's nudity and sexuality directed at a female body because of anger or frustration of some sort. Mai Ball nudity is light and fluffy and sexy; no one is being hurt, it's often kept comedic and the angles and nudity while some may find objectifying or unnecessary also do not detract from the characters or hurt their personalities in any way. In Magicalize they try to play it for laughs but the situations are often with molesters, rapists, situations the girls do not want to be in but the angles and drawing still sexualizes the body. One can still draw scenes of rape or cruelty or such, especially if one is going for a certain tone or wants to tackle those issues but if you sexualize the target of a rape or molestation while it's ongoing it removes any sense of a point you may have had and destroys the tone and atmosphere. It's the difference between filming a rape scene like Monica Belluci's in Irreversible and the rape scenes in the manga trash. where it focuses on the breasts or ass or motions of a body when the act occurs.

So I'd say the bad type is a type of ecchi in which men still want to assert their control and power; so in Magicalize you'll have strong women trying to stop sex crimes against women but at the end of the day they end up naked or molested themselves because they still need to be put in their place.

I need to flesh this out some more and I'm just writing this stream of consciousness but I think it's attached to some really accurate shit, if I say so myself.

JulianImp

So I'd say the bad type is a type of ecchi in which men still want to assert their control and power; so in Magicalize you'll have strong women trying to stop sex crimes against women but at the end of the day they end up naked or molested themselves because they still need to be put in their place.

I need to flesh this out some more and I'm just writing this stream of consciousness but I think it's attached to some really accurate shit, if I say so myself.

Well, I also just posted about the Izetta anime in the other thread, sharing my woes of how the writers apparently found it necessary to have at least one gratuitous fanservice scene per episode. The choice of framing to focus on the girls' figures and/or "assets" is petty as hell there, and ill-fits a show that's all about a witch fighting definitely-not-Germans.

It's like the show wants me to respect the girls for being strong and self-sufficient, but at the same time preys upon its female characters in voyeuristic and tasteless ways... it kind of fits your description of "the girls are strong, except when we make them sexually vulnerable because... well, because", and is one of the things I find sad in anime-style fiction.

Speaking of another manga that used rape and nudity in pretty disgusting ways...

For like 20 chapters (it felt like) Wolf Guy was just "Check out these slammin' titties getting gangbanged, oh yeah, of course rape is bad but lookit those titties"

Well, I also just posted about the Izetta anime in the other thread, sharing my woes of how the writers apparently found it necessary to have at least one gratuitous fanservice scene per episode. The choice of framing to focus on the girls' figures and/or "assets" is petty as hell there, and ill-fits a show that's all about a witch fighting definitely-not-Germans.

It's like the show wants me to respect the girls for being strong and self-sufficient, but at the same time preys upon its female characters in voyeuristic and tasteless ways... it kind of fits your description of "the girls are strong, except when we make them sexually vulnerable because... well, because", and is one of the things I find sad in anime-style fiction.

I think just because of the smaller amount of anime it's also more noticeable, but it's also MUCH more noticeable when the source material does not sexualize or frame bodies in a sexual manner and then the anime does because they're...afraid it won't sell blu-rays? I dunno, I'm a little less educated on the specifics of anime but I'd imagine it's a lot of "Well this is really popular so you know what would make it more popular? Fat titties flopping around"

I shudder at the Sket Dance adaptation because I think I can count on one hand the number of ecchi scenes in the manga but HOLY SHIT did they sexualize Himeko so much in the anime adaptation that it made me quit watching the damn thing.

Man, Sket Dance was awesome.

Kingdom - Coalition War Arc

I read this arc start to finish whenever I'm bored or can't decide what manga I want to read. It's such a great arc and the only thing that can keep my hype in check for the upcoming arc.

Speaking of another manga that used rape and nudity in pretty disgusting ways...

For like 20 chapters (it felt like) Wolf Guy was just "Check out these slammin' titties getting gangbanged, oh yeah, of course rape is bad but lookit those titties"

I think just because of the smaller amount of anime it's also more noticeable, but it's also MUCH more noticeable when the source material does not sexualize or frame bodies in a sexual manner and then the anime does because they're...afraid it won't sell blu-rays? I dunno, I'm a little less educated on the specifics of anime but I'd imagine it's a lot of "Well this is really popular so you know what would make it more popular? Fat titties flopping around"

I shudder at the Sket Dance adaptation because I think I can count on one hand the number of ecchi scenes in the manga but HOLY SHIT did they sexualize Himeko so much in the anime adaptation that it made me quit watching the damn thing.

Man, Sket Dance was awesome.

What SketDan were you watching? I dont remember it ever being pervy.

bobohoro

Mai Ball 62

I mean, I get what they are going for, but it might be a bit much to play whole tournaments with just 11 players. Despite that, the freeflowing playstyle is pretty fun and legit scary for opponents, it also offers quite a bit of potential for creative play/writing in the future.

And that princess carry at the end might have broken a few spectators.

Shengar

Kingdom's art isn't very good is it

It's very divisive I think. The style is a blend between hyper-masculine and exaggerated anatomy which makes it looks kinda unsettling or bad for people who haven't read it regularly. While Hara's art isn't as appealing as Makoto's, he have uncanny skill in composition and paneling where he could gave reader a lasting impact with his spread page or peak moment in the story.

I only recommend it as a read if you interested in Chinese history, since the framework of the narrative is made from Chinese epic.

Big One

Banned
Kingdom's art is amazing. It just looks badass as fuck. Yes the characters look silly but that's what makes it badass and awesome. We don't see too many manga like Kingdom anymore.

Kieli

I stopped reading just after the Solomon flashback and have been waiting for it to end to catch up. The battle of Magnostadt was when I felt the tone shift hard and the series lost its Luster for me. Up until that point, I was all in. I even remember when the series was a thread darling, but a lot of readers seem to have dropped it too.

It lost me at the that battle too. Actually, I was all-in right up until all of the major players were Extreme-Magicking the blob that was being summoned. Haven't been back since. :\

Edit: Gotdamn, Thorfinn still got it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah ogre girls are dull. They can't shapeshift. Their limbs don't come off. They have two eyes like some kind of normie. All they have going for them is being big and having a horn. All the girls from Ookii Onnanoko are better than Ogre girl.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The rule of thumb is, if you can cosplay it with some string and a piece of construction paper, it's a low tier monster girl.

Corpse Party: Another Child 15
SHOCKING NEWS: Saki was responsible for the corpse party. And of course Tamaki doesn't consider the merits of having a psychotic gothic lolita guardian angel and just freaks out. Well, seeing her husbando disembowelled in front of her ought to make her appreciate Saki's merits. Possibly. Ok maybe not.

You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead 5

I thought there was a rule that crazy live-in stalkers had to be cute. Otherwise the whole situation just becomes creepy, which is a totally inappropriate atmosphere for a horror series. Totally.

hamchan

Bought the Rurouni Kenshin Vizbigs 1-9.

First time owning a Vizbig and wow these are great. Good value for three volumes in one, bigger size and great quality paper. Probably going to buy the Vagabond vizbigs now that I'm a fan.

I wish Viz made more series in this format but unfortunately it seems like they're pushing the cheaper 3-in-1 omnibus more, which is a shame since those are clearly the budget line with poor quality paper.

bobohoro

The rule of thumb is, if you can cosplay it with some string and a piece of construction paper, it's a low tier monster girl.

Life lesson learned.

Prison School 234

Stooooooop draaaaaaaging thiiiiiiiiis ooooouuuuuuut.
I hope the next arc somehow finds the magic again.

Tomo-chan 472

Jun will just pretend nothing ever happened the day after.
I gave up hope for progress.

Purgatory Dead Roll 5
dat strategy tho. The possibility of tactical murder from anyone other than the actual killer never occurred to me, so gg. Shirahime could've been highly relevant to my interests under different circumstances, but yeah, bullying Kagamiya is inherently wrong. Even if she's bullying/killing you.

Nordicus

Hazuki Kanon wa Amakunai 37

zc1LAjD.jpg

Wow. So he was never being purely platonic when he said "I like you" after all, he's just absolutely terrible at expressing that?

Jintor

https://cycomi.com/title.php?title_id=45

This comic appears to be called "Futari Monologue" and seems to be about a gloomy girl and a gal whose roles have switched since first-year elementary school and 2nd year high school.

It looks decently funny but I haven't actually sat down and read it yet...

i'm a sucker for anything where it's just two people being super embarrassed at each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom