• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lola's marriage partner has to be a Tenryuubito. That's the only thing of that magnitude.

Unless she was being married to the Giants so Big Mom could get her hands on a poneglyph

bobohoro

How do you figure she regressed as a character? Like what are you even talking about?

She went from having confidence in her friends and the abilities of their group (at least that's how I see the Follow Me speach) to dismissing Soma's plan and crawling back to her daddy's feet. Could have easily done the same development without that bit.

Corpse Party: Another Child 14
u1LDWrP.jpg

something something gyaru joke. I wouldn't have felt bad for her even without the release gap, so yeah, RIP or whatever. The whodunnit cliffhanger should be resolved pretty promptly during the next chapter.

Monster Girl Encyclopedia Vol. 2

...god fucking dammit.

Proof that hentai is ruining my sexual tastes.
Don't worry, the mindflayers'll fix that for you.

(NSFW) Orc girls love handsome guys by Odd

Seems like it's the author's first h-doujinshi. Still, the art is pretty good, and orc girls are love~
Orcs are bottom tier monster girls along with centaurs, cow girls and probably a few others. C'mon man, I expected better from you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She went from having confidence in her friends and the abilities of their group (at least that's how I see the Follow Me speach) to dismissing Soma's plan and crawling back to her daddy's feet. Could have easily done the same development without that bit.

She asked her dad to reverse having all of her friends expelled which is in fact a completely realistic thing to do if your dad is the principal.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 847

Lola was supposed to marry a giant is my guess. Considering Big Mom was irked over the giants being brought up, and then exploded over Lola, saying she dodged a very important marriage.

I Am A Hero ch. 247

This volume's gonna end with her attempting to kill him, right? Then another long ass wait. Oh boy.

bobohoro

She asked her dad to reverse having all of her friends expelled which is in fact a completely realistic thing to do if your dad is the principal.

But she herself knew best how unrelenting, cold-hearted and egoistical her father is and she already build up the confidence to run away, seek comfort in her friends and unite with a group opposing said father. Wouldn't it have been far more interesting to see her stand shoulder to shoulder with Soma in leading the team fighting for the majority in the Elite-10 rather than going back to being the crying child without confidence in herself or her friends? And needing Soma to once more back her up and speak up for her, declaring the intent for battle involving Erina without her consent?

Sure, might be more realistic, but it also kinda sets back her development of the last couple dozen of chapters and kinda squanders her potential to be a strong female lead going forward. And again, it was kinda unneeded, because the story could have arrived at the same point without her pleading for nothing.

Shokugeki no Soma 193

Ugh... They are pushing the SomaxNakiri shipping as fast as this arc climax. Oh well... I guess my wishes of a SomaxMegumi shipping are cold dead.

phaze

Tower of God

Came back after having it dropped since the end of train arc, a lot of it is probably just the benefit of getting to marathon a bunch of chapters but I thought this new arc that just ended/ is in the process of ending was a substantial improvement. It's still a silly ass shounen with wet fish as protagonist, severe pacing, asspull and character count issues but here at least Bam didn't get more silly power ups and I actually really enjoyed the villain's motivation and backstory.

Grand Blue 3-17

Been a while since a manga made me laugh out loud several times and chuckle even more. It's a bit repetitive in terms of gags and character faces but still a really fun romp overall.

---
Speaking of comedies, anybody has any idea what's up with D-Frag ? Is lack of new chapters a translation issue or is it on hiatus ?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But she herself knew best how unrelenting, cold-hearted and egoistical her father is and she already build up the confidence to run away, seek comfort in her friends and unite with a group opposing said father. Wouldn't it have been far more interesting to see her stand shoulder to shoulder with Soma in leading the team fighting for the majority in the Elite-10 rather than going back to being the crying child without confidence in herself or her friends? And needing Soma to once more back her up and speak up for her, declaring the intent for battle involving Erina without her consent?

Sure, might be more realistic, but it also kinda sets back her development of the last couple dozen of chapters and kinda squanders her potential to be a strong female lead going forward. And again, it was kinda unneeded, because the story could have arrived at the same point without her pleading for nothing.
It only "sets back her development" if you're willing to grasp at straws to make the argument that it somehow weakened the character. Erina being upset that her friends got expelled isn't a big deal with regard to character development. Like, at all.

Soma's idea was completely nonsensical until Jouchirou randomly appeared to make it happen.

bobohoro

It only "sets back her development" if you're willing to grasp at straws to make the argument that it somehow weakened the character. Erina being upset that her friends got expelled isn't a big deal with regard to character development. Like, at all.

Soma's idea was completely nonsensical until Jouchirou randomly appeared to make it happen.

You do realise that I'm not arguing that her caring about her friends is the problem I have, but the way she expresses this concern? English is not my primary language, so I might just not bring my point across as I intend to.

Otherwise, yes, I do think the relapse into turning to Azami instead of joining Soma for a solution weakens her character and is a set back and I can't see how I am grasping at straws here. Presenting an alternative scenario: She could have been upset about her friends being expelled but ultimately joins Soma in his grand rebellion, maybe pointing out the ridiculousness and opting for some other solution. She could have easily played an active part in oppossing Azami and the Elite Ten to get her friends back this way, instead of playing the passive female lead that needs encouragement once again. She could have confronted Azami in a forceful way instead of pleading. And Azami could have still turned them down and the principal/Soma's dad could have still shown up to force the battle.

Ascheroth

You do realise that I'm not arguing that her caring about her friends is the problem I have, but the way she expresses this concern? English is not my primary language, so I might just not bring my point across as I intend to.

Otherwise, yes, I do think the relapse into turning to Azami instead of joining Soma for a solution weakens her character and is a set back and I can't see how I am grasping at straws here. Presenting an alternative scenario: She could have been upset about her friends being expelled but ultimately joins Soma in his grand rebellion, maybe pointing out the ridiculousness and opting for some other solution. She could have easily played an active part in oppossing Azami and the Elite Ten to get her friends back this way, instead of playing the passive female lead that needs encouragement once again. She could have confronted Azami in a forceful way instead of pleading. And Azami could have still turned them down and the principal/Soma's dad could have still shown up to force the battle.

Dou you remember how god damn terrified she was of Azami at the beginning of this arc?
I wouldn't call it character regression when she actually seeked him out on her own volition to plead for her friends.

Hell yes, Bungaku Shoujo is the OP rec read it read it read it read it READ IT. If you see this dramatis, you linked to the wrong impressions post (I think this was the one you were looking for). Add mine too if you want!

Yuzumori-san 10
Chapter 11 will be Mimika's funeral, because there's no way she's surviving that last page, irrespective of the intention behind Yuzumori's words. Not sure how this series will function with a dead MC.

Arabesque

How can you be against it if it enabled a soma taku e10 seats.

Only failed potential was again not showing the prince of smoke cooking battle...

Maybe if Takumi was actually doing something useful or notable throughout this entire arc, rather than being in the background until Tsukuda remembered people wanted him on the elite 10?

As for failed potentials, this entire arc is just littered with them.

Shokugeki no Soma

Megumi, Elite 10 concept still making me laugh. Apparently Megumi agrees it's absurd.

Sure it is, but it's what the audience wants so

F' it, she ends up on the elite 10 seats, apparently.

"This is the elite 10 you choose" indeed ...

I don't think it's a regression in her character so much that this is just how Erina will continue acting with Azami until maybe the end of the manga. It makes sense because she had been abused to the point she is terrified of him, and even though she had all the set up "look at how glorious she is as the architect of the resistance, the Jeanne D'Arc" and her "Follow me" speech, as grand as they were, do not change the fact she's still afraid of her father. I feel bad for Erina still, and don't like she can't tell Azami to eat a shoe like Hayama kept on doing, but this seems to be a long way still.

Where any regression might be is with how the story is more or less back at how it was when Soma challenged Eizan, and Erina was hopeless and clueless about she should do about the situation, while Soma (same as now) went ahead and challenged Eizan despite all the odds being against him. All the set up of the exam being halfway, of Erina's stand against Central's ideals, of her being called leader, had been thrown away while the answer to the problem is, as it was during the start of this arc, is to "Follow Soma".

I'm still waiting to see what will happen now on this team battle, but I feel like she might be put on the sidelines away from the fight so that Isshiki or Kuga might join the team (thus having 4 people + Erina being on a seat already to make a supermajority). I hope I'm wrong and she does fight back against Azami directly but I doubt this is where it's heading.

Dio

Banned
Magi 329 Now I remember why i always lose track of these chapters... Anyway, Sinbad must have take real offense to the "You're human, just like me!" comment.

This chapter was really fucking weird. I felt like Sinbad suddenly acted like some sort of strawman comic character.

zMDNoSt.png

Just replace that with this:

gzFLyT4.jpg'

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Bah, Sinbad's reaction isn't normal to us, sure. But it's not that unreasonable. Think about the last little arc of him getting to the sacred palace. It was basically a crisis of faith where Sinbad was wondering "Am I really that great?" and basically climaxed in God telling him "Sinbad you're not that great." And then Sinbad won thus proving he is in fact that great. How dare these people come in trying to tell him otherwise!

Sinbad doesn't have a God complex right now, he's proven he's better than God.

This chapter was really fucking weird. I felt like Sinbad suddenly acted like some sort of strawman comic character.

zMDNoSt.png

Just replace that with this:

gzFLyT4.jpg'

Sinbad isn't normal. The guy's arrogance was so great he defied death and came back as a God. The universe hasn't proven him wrong yet. Sinbad has gone completely insane, just like Ugo.Then again Sinbad has always been this way.

Wiseblade

I think its still great, but it didn't handle the transition from fun adventure to hard battle shonen very well.
I stopped reading just after the Solomon flashback and have been waiting for it to end to catch up. The battle of Magnostadt was when I felt the tone shift hard and the series lost its Luster for me. Up until that point, I was all in. I even remember when the series was a thread darling, but a lot of readers seem to have dropped it too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You never go full beamspam.

When I close my eyes I still see X-TREEM MAGIC.

Maybe if Takumi was actually doing something useful or notable throughout this entire arc, rather than being in the background until Tsukuda remembered people wanted him on the elite 10?

I'm still waiting to see what will happen now on this team battle, but I feel like she might be put on the sidelines away from the fight so that Isshiki or Kuga might join the team (thus having 4 people + Erina being on a seat already to make a supermajority). I hope I'm wrong and she does fight back against Azami directly but I doubt this is where it's heading.

Yeah, Takumi doesn't seem to get much screen time. And when he does its usually just as a background character. It would have made more sense to have Alice and/or Kurokiba as people who survived, as they've been shown to be better cooks, and have just had more development. Oh well, I guess its his time to shine now.

I don't think Erina will be put too much on the sidelines. I see it more of Soma and Erina as the leaders of their group. Though then again she doesn't really have much need to fight in any cooking battles as she's already on the E-10. I think her battle will be more against her father and be a little separated from what the group is doing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
WHY DOES HE STILL HAVE HIS OWN SPINOFF

GIVE DOUJIMA SPINOFF WHERE HE HAS STRIPPING ADVENTURES WITH THE CHAIRMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom