• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
That last page. I'm still trying to scroll down fast each time I see Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso in the title. It's too difficult since I'm getting a glimpse of things. Going to just read it after it finishes up the season.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hayate no Gotoku 474

lol That was a great chapter. It wasn't short, it had Aika, and it actually had a pretty good punchline at the end.

dani_dc

Laughter in The End of The World

This came off as a decent start to a shounen series.

Main character sure knows how to act self important, and there's the usual "humanity is actually evil" angle to it (I'm sure the demon appearing would eventually be ties to this).
A lot of time was spent in this angle (most of the chapters really), and I could see it getting old really fast, but for a short series it didn't hurt too much.
The battle sequence was weak. But the twist was rather nice. The fact that the one having dreams about demons was the MC (a human) and not his sister (demon) seems to tie up with the above.

All in all I could see this having potentially to be interesting, it would need quite a bit of work to become a long running series but the potential is there. As a short series, it had enough to keep me interested and curious about the world to keep going.

Witchcraft Works Vol.01

sec1tS7l.jpg

It's pretty fun rereading series I'm deeply in and seeing all the hints scattered around. And this series is pretty damn good at that. You can see imouto stalking their first date, there's a lot of just little clues I never caught up on the first time reading through.

I also like the notes at the end of the volume giving more detail to the characters. There's a good bunch of characters in this volume we really don't get much info on and we'll probably never will. It's a shame since a lot of them have pretty cool design.

Keijo

i wouldn't be surprised if the test isn't exactly what they think it is lol

Nobelsse

Lets see the fruits of their labor.

Hopefully it will be fucking worth it.

Watamote 69
Making a mountain out of a molehill right there and really thought there would be progress. At least a possible new character tease?

dani_dc

Itoshi no Karin 19

So now she's planning to move to his town in 5+ years from present time?
That sounds like an awful idea. But since this is a manga we'll just get a time skip to 5 years from now and they'll both end happy together.

Revo

Yamada and the Seven Witches 136

TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

Joshi Kausei

That trek for the story.

dani_dc

Girl VS Curry 1

When people said it was literally curry sex, I didn't expect them to mean it was literally curry sex.

Girl VS Curry 2

I expected more curry sex, instead I got curry gore.

Revo

Ojojojo 27

You were so, so close Chris.

Noblesse 347

Hopefully they can prove their worth now. Or at least some of it.

Revo

Dear, Only You Don't Know 53

That feeling when you know that your prey is being hunted by someone else.

Jack, The American Ghost 39

So much blush and romance~~~~~

Usobuko

Banned
If you were to recommend 20 manga to a seasoned anime viewer without any possibly overlap ( unless the source material is far superior in your opinion eg. Slam Dunk ), which 20 would you pick?

Currently still serializing / publishing manga counts as well.

My Hero Academia

This series is quite enjoyable, even though it's clearly targeted to a very young audience, atm.
As someone else pointed out, I think it lacks a long-term goal and it will have to change its mood, sooner or later. I mean, "I want to become the Pirate King" is so undefined that you can stretch the story as long as you want. "I want to become a hero" is much more within grasp, especially when you acquire the top tier "quirk" in the early chapters. Of course Midoriya has to master it first, but his training can't last that long.

For now, the series is enjoyable partly because of the new powers being show off and partly because the MC has to devise a way to win battles using a one shot finishing blow. When this novelty ends, we'll see how the author and his editors will make the series evolve (and how long they will make it last). I think this one should stay on the short side (no more than 100 chapters), with a well-thought ending.

Stulaw

Girl May Kill ch19

Caught up with this and
poor Ritsu, at least she isn't suffering anymore :(
. Also, I'm not sure what Mei's going to do next, she's either going to become psychotically obsessed with Gohangi (becoming a Yandere), or maybe just distance herself from him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ace no Diamond.

This series is kind of tiring to read, but in a good way. So many good baiting WILL THEY SUCCEED OR NOT scenes. Not surprised by the result though, about their journey to reach Koushien...

I don't even like baseball or has a clue about the majority of its rules, but I still like reading it. Too bad about the massive lack of romance though :p

Zweizer

Banned
If you were to recommend 20 manga to a seasoned anime viewer without any possibly overlap ( unless the source material is far superior in your opinion eg. Slam Dunk ), which 20 would you pick?

20 manga? That's a pretty long list you're asking for.

I'd pick stuff like:
  • Dowman Sayman's works
  • Hinamatsuri
  • Jitsu wa Watashi wa
  • Yotsuba&!
  • Prison School (for now)
  • Dorohedoro
  • Yandere Kanojo
  • One Punch-man
  • Molester Man
  • Genkaku Picasso
  • Sumire 16-sai!!
  • Nukoduke!
  • Hi Score Girl
  • Flying Witch
  • Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
  • Sakamoto desu ga?
  • Monster Musume

Currently serializing:

Vinland Saga
Yotsubato!
Vagabond
14-sai no Koi
Berserk
Dorohedoro
Hinamatsuri
Historie
Horimiya
Hunter x Hunter
Jigoku no Alice

Finished:

Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä
Akira
Angel Densetsu
Boku no Chikyuu o Mamotte
Gunslinger Girl
Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku
Bus Hashiru
Eden - It's an Endless World!
Helter Skelter
Hotel: Since 2079
Majo
Mugen no Juunin
Owari to Hajimari no Miles
Ai-Ren
Appleseed
Believers
Bokurano
Bonnouji
Chichi no Koyomi
Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu
Freesia
Genshiken
GUNNM
Haruka na Machi e
Hikari no Machi
Hitsuji no Uta
Itoshi no Kana
Mikai no Hoshi
Orion

More than 20, sorry!

Zweizer

Banned
Shin Kurosawa ch3

Even in a semi-coma, he has to fight. Harsh.

I wonder how his body managed to stay in (relative) shape.

Ojojojo ch27

Well, uh, good job, Chris?

Hakoiri Drops ch8

Dat rocket.

Mecha

My Hero Academia

This series is quite enjoyable, even though it's clearly targeted to a very young audience, atm.
As someone else pointed out, I think it lacks a long-term goal and it will have to change its mood, sooner or later. I mean, "I want to become the Pirate King" is so undefined that you can stretch the story as long as you want. "I want to become a hero" is much more within grasp, especially when you acquire the top tier "quirk" in the early chapters. Of course Midoriya has to master it first, but his training can't last that long.

For now, the series is enjoyable partly because of the new powers being show off and partly because the MC has to devise a way to win battles using a one shot finishing blow. When this novelty ends, we'll see how the author and his editors will make the series evolve (and how long they will make it last). I think this one should stay on the short side (no more than 100 chapters), with a well-thought ending.

If it sells and becomes even more popular I seriously doubt this will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom