• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manhunt blamed for murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

From The Guardian

The parents of a 14-year-old boy who was bludgeoned and stabbed to death by another teenager yesterday blamed a video game for his murder.

Stefan Pakeerah was stabbed and beaten repeatedly with a hammer in an attack his mother described as mimicking the gameplay in the video game Manhunt.
Ms Pakeerah, a 36-year-old senior research nurse, said: "This game was seized by the police as evidence. A report was done on the game and it was quite horrific. The aim of the game is to kill and to do it brutally.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

Will Manhunt be banned in the UK?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

Wow thats redundant.
I know in the US I don't sell M rated games to kids under 17 (although, some of the games on the lower end of the spectrum I sometimes let slide) But titles like Manhunt, GTA I make no exceptions.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well its a bit late to ban it now.

This does suck but as with all these cases if 14 doesn't know that he shouldn't bludgeon someone to death with a hammer then the blame needs to be placed a bit closer to home.

Didnt it get banned elsewhere?

DarienA: It's rated 18

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Shit yeah, even Rockstar has said that kids shouldn't be playing their games.

WHEN WILL THE GOVERNMENT AND MEDIA BLAME TERRIBLE PARENTING!!!

Never the parents fault for letting their children run amock with guns and knives, they are saints.

Ferrio

Banned
Ghost said:
Well its a bit late to ban it now.

This does suck but as with all these cases if 14 doesn't know that he shouldn't bludgeon someone to death with a hammer then the blame needs to be placed a bit closer to home.

DarienA: It's rated 18

It was a 17 year old that killed a 14 year old.

Arrest whoever bought the game for him, and if it was sold directly to him then arrest that person. Rockstar can't do anymore than what they have to prevent kids from playing the game.

Ferrio

Banned
How bout we blame the actual fucker who did it? Why do we have to point fingers at somewhere else other than him?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lets ban R rated movies while we're at it.

Manhunt is shit in a DVD case. I say ban it. If only more shitty games could be banned. Banning Superman 64 would have made the world a better place than it is today.

RiZ III

It was only a matter of time.

Whether or not anyone would like to admit it, these kids might have gotten the idea from the game. Now, Im not saying that it was the game that caused the killing. These kids were just fucked up, however, games such as manhunt are really disgusting and irresponsible.

WarPig

Ghost said:

It was denied classification in Australia and New Zealand (and probably Germany too, but you know the Germans). The latter instance was notable because it was the first game to be pulled from the market in NZ -- the Aussies pulled the GTA games and assorted others well before Manhunt came along.

DFS.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Btw the game was confiscated TODAY from retailers all over germany,so its illegal to sell it at all now,not even to over 18 year olds,very very few games share such destiny(all i can think of are Foreign versions of WW2 FPS games because of Nazi symbols)

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
WarPig said:
Waitaminit, they let it on the German market in the first place? The fuck?

DFS.

Nope,it wasnt even released in Germany just like Mark of Kri,but you could still buy it from retailers(English version) if you were 18+,but now its not allowed to be sold at all.

I think the first Postal was also such a game

RiZ III said:
It was only a matter of time.

Whether or not anyone would like to admit it, these kids might have gotten the idea from the game. Now, Im not saying that it was the game that caused the killing. These kids were just fucked up, however, games such as manhunt are really disgusting and irresponsible.

The only irresponsible person in this situation is whoever bought/sold him this game. Rockstar did nothing wrong. The games ultra violent and the label lets you know that.

Matlock

Banned
Oh god, don't try dumping the blame on whoever sold it to him. The kid was MENTALLY FRIGGING UNSTABLE, and no amount of playing a shitty game can make you perform murder.

Well, except maybe the Triforce Quest in Wind Waker.

RiZ III

Yea ofcourse I undestand that. Rockstar or anyother company can make whatever the hell they like. All Im saying is that games like Manhunt are really uncessary.

I'm not, but if they're going to actually blame it on someone other than the kid, let it be that person. It always has to be the company instead of the person buying the kid/selling it to them. There's nothing the company can do once they label it and send it out to retailers. It then becomes the retailers job to not sell it to kids and the parents job to not buy it for their kids if they've got clear mental disorders.

Matlock

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm not, but if they're going to actually blame it on someone other than the kid, let it be that person.

Yes, let's blame the minimum wage slob for a teenager's unstable chemistry.

Wait, what about suing the person who sold the hammer?!?!?

emerge

Of course Rockstar did something wrong, namely releasing that piece of interactive snuff in the first place. That pos is certainly capable of pushing some people into the wrong direction. The world doesn't need these types of "games".

Who are you going to blame it on then? There's no way the parents or kid will ever be blamed for it. They're always looking for someone else to put the blame on. So you can't simply say it's the kids fault (even though i'd agree that it is) because people don't accept that.

Matlock

Banned
walmart2.jpg

"I can barely look at my reflection...An item I stocked may have helped kill someone. :( Thanks, SolidSnakex, for making me see my ways!"

emerge

Gattsu25 said:
Because kids killing people with hammers never happened before Manhunt

If that Warren guy wasn't obsessed with Manhunt but Pikmin instead, I'm quite sure only a couple bugs would've bit the dust.

Chrono

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Because kids killing people with hammers never happened before Manhunt

No. You see, if he did not concieve the idea to kill a human being with a hammer, he would simply back off that idea completely because there's obviously no other way to kill the victim. :rolleyes:

emerge said:
If that Warren guy wasn't obsessed with Manhunt but Pikmin instead, I'm quite sure only a couple bugs would've bit the dust.

If that kid had the intention to murder, then choosing a fucking weapon based on his favourite game is SECONDARY to what he's going to do-- MURDER PEOPLE. There's something bigger here. Kids obessed with anime and games freakin' cosplay and write fan fiction. They don't go out and murder people.

People should fucking take responsibilty for what they do. That's it.

"SSx, just stop talking. Not only are you not making any sense, but you're being incredibly stupid while doing so"

How's it not making any sense? Kids are let off the hook for this stuff the second they say they got the idea from X game, or X music or X movie (in the sense that they're no longer blamed for it, they still go to jail over it). It then gets put on the shoulders of that group. Parents are never blamed for this because the media won't allow it. So who else are you actually going to blame? It's not a stupid argument because it's the truth. Go look at past murder cases like this and you'll find that the kids aren't blamed for this. You'll find that crazy ex military dude bringing up a lawsuit against Rockstar, or Sony or another company for releasing the game.

Matlock

Banned
SSx:

Playing the blame game is stupid, and you even acknowledge it within your post. YET! YET! Yet you go and yammer on about who to blame.

Chrono

Banned
Matlock said:
walmart2.jpg

"I can barely look at my reflection...An item I stocked may have helped kill someone. :( Thanks, SolidSnakex, for making me see my ways!"

You might want to add a picture of a book store employee too. ;)

Greekboy

Banned
Hey. Why not sue Black & Decker too for making the hammer?!

Let's blame Barney too because my Little Johnny is gay.

Dumbass parents.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
he could have got the idea from Donkey Kong or Space Panic.

and if it was pikmin he was obsessed with, he might have burried him in the ground then pulled his head off...

or eaten him.

Sounds like this guy was as mad as a crab on tele. If it wasn't games, it would have been Judas priest, drugs, drink etc... Perhaps he was just a fecking psycho?

Matlock said:
SSx:

Playing the blame game is stupid, and you even acknowledge it within your post. YET! YET! Yet you go and yammer on about who to blame.

Yes I admit it's stupid to blame anyone else but the kid. But if you look at past cases, that's not how other people feel. They don't feel it is the kids fault, they really believe the games caused these kids to do it. Like those group of teens who went around for several weeks in a city robbing cars because they got the idea from GTA. Or the other group of kids who went out onto a highway with a shotgun and started opening fire on everyone. Those kids don't get directly blamed, the videogame manufacturers get blamed for making the game in the first place. If they actually blamed the kid this probably wouldn't even be reported because he'd be locked up (which is how it should be) and that'd be the end of the story.

Chrono

Banned
emerge said:
Well, apparently Warren had his Manhunt cosplay.

... that wasn't my point.

If what you say is true then all kids with fake toy guns, who also have access to real weapons from their houses, would go out and use the real thing to murder people for fun.

If they want to ban man hunt, let them ban toy guns first. It's disgusting to paint such horrible weapons of death in kid-friendly colors and encourage them to play games that mimick militray exercises desinged to train to kill. :rolleyes:

Gattsu25

Banned
The thing is...I played manhunt and enjoyed...no...relished the act of smashing people's heads open with a baseball bat and trying to stick as many chunks of brain and skull on walls

As sick as that is, I wouldn't even think about doing that or anything like it in real life...there's something wrong with someone who's willing to kill...they can blame it on whatever they want but there are countless people out there who all played that game and didn't kill anyone or anything. The blame game is just a means to justify some fucked up punk's actions :rolleyes:

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Like those group of teens who went around for several weeks in a city robbing cars because they got the idea from GTA"

eh? since when is TWOC'ing on a grand scale a new thing? This used to happen all the time in my town when i was a teenager, and we are taking around 1990 here.

No GTA to blame, so i think dance music got the blame.

When people say "we got the idea from GTA" - i instantly think this is "the get out clause".
OH, i can't make my own decissions, GTA has warped my fragile little mind. Bullshit. Detention centre for you.

emerge

Of boy, not the old toy gun argument again. Apart from the fact that no parents should have real guns in their house unless they are huntung, let alone accessible to their children i'm not going to comment on that. Fact of the matter is, that there needs to a distinction made between media that depicts violence or murder as a means of achieving a goal and media that depicts violence or murder as the goal of existence. Snuff movies a banned for a reason.

Of course that kid was fucked up in the first place, probably low intellect and social competence. But you can not assume that everyone can draw that line between virtual and real as well as you. Humans are perceptible to being tipped of into one or the other direction by what we see, games are no exception at all and can certainly lower existing inhibition thresholds in already fickle individuals. I think Manhunt falls in that category.

So, all blame debates aside, Manhunt is as inhumane as it can get and should've never been made, that is all. Anyone who derives fun from playing that game should be worried. That is all.

Gattsu25

Banned
emerge said:
Humans are perceptible to being tipped of into one or the other direction by what we see, games are no exception at all and can certainly lower existing inhibition thresholds in already fickle individuals. I think Manhunt falls in that category.

So, all blame debates aside, Manhunt is as inhumane as it can get and should've never been made, that is all. Anyone who derives fun from playing that game should be worried. That is all.

Bullshit. let's all castrate ourselves, drink ginger ale, and only play Mario as that's the only way to stay safe from the violence.

The fact that millions of people were able to find a clear distinction between their acts of violence in games and committing violence in reality spit right in the face of any arguement that can be made in which games are to blame for fucked up kids killing folks or commiting crimes

Music doesn't Kill. Games don't kill. Already screwed up people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom