• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marc Maron WTF interview w/Nikki Glaser is a great look at stigma of eating disorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qlknMixra8

This week's WTF podcast had comedian Nikki Glaser as guest, and most of the interview focused on the common ground the two shared: crippling eating disorders. Listening to them compare their stories of dysfunction and irrational behavior was really fascinating and really scary. Just very graphic details about the psyche of someone who has body dysmorphia, anorexia, food anxiety.....but obviously they handle it in a way that's funny to listen to, too.

This talk was great, but the interesting angle of it was the fact that there's an obvious extra stigma attached to men with disorders like these. Marc has brought these issues up before that have clung to his routine ever since his upbringing that was fraught with an anorexic mother, but to hear it in such detail, and for him to acknowledge that this is not something that men normally discuss, is pretty valuable.

The crazy part about this talk was that I was identifying with what they were talking about, and it's making me realize that I do have areas of my behavior that definitely overlap with these types of behavior. Luckily I'm not as down the rabbit hole as they have been, but the fact that I do have issues but never had them articulated was kind of mind-blowing. I guess I have a lighter version of what Marc deals with, but this is something I just kept to myself and never thought about too actively.

So, listen to it for some good insight, or just to hear one of the great interviewers in the biz (his show's been consistently great for a long time now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom