• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March-game GCN 3rd Party battle: A Wonderful Life's legs push it over The Twin Snakes

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Outbreak on the other hand has performed about in line with REmake/Zero.

Did it really? That's amazing considering that plenty of RE fans that I know have skipped the game due to the different focus. It would seem to me that those thoughts would be echoed by other people as well...

I'm suprised that it did that well, if true.

dark10x said:
Did it really? That's amazing considering that plenty of RE fans that I know have skipped the game due to the different focus. It would seem to me that those thoughts would be echoed by other people as well...

I'm suprised that it did that well, if true.

It's outsold both of them in Japan and is on track to do the same in the US. Definetly impressive considering that it's really not that good if you aren't playing it online.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's outsold both of them in Japan and is on track to do the same in the US. Definetly impressive considering that it's really not that good if you aren't playing it online.
Depends, some figures still put Zero ahead of Outbreak in Japan. And in the US it's dropped off considerably, it's performing almost exactly the same as REmake did here (and a little better than Zero)... it'll get a nice push when the price drops but I doubt it'll sell past REmake actually (unless it doesw CVX style budget numbers, which is entirely possible given PS2's casual userbase). Still, I think RE4 should be the best selling single installment this generation (though Code Veronica will be on top counting the various rereleases).

cvxfreak

I'm not impressed with RE Outbreak's sales. For a console claiming to do the series financial justice, they sure haven't shown they can beat the GameCube series to a bloody pulp. Quite frankly, I think RE4 can beat Outbreak, too.

dark10x

CVXFREAK said:
I'm not impressed with RE Outbreak's sales. For a console claiming to do the series financial justice, they sure haven't shown they can beat the GameCube series to a bloody pulp. Quite frankly, I think RE4 can beat Outbreak, too.

What?!?!?

Outbreak isn't even a regular RE game. It is impressive that it has sold as much as it has when you consider just WHAT Outbreak actually is...

How could you think that?

AniHawk

jarrod said:
Depends, some figures still put Zero ahead of Outbreak in Japan. And in the US it's dropped off considerably, it's performing almost exactly the same as REmake did here (and a little better than Zero)... it'll get a nice push when the price drops but I doubt it'll sell past REmake actually (unless it doesw CVX style budget numbers, which is entirely possible given PS2's casual userbase). Still, I think RE4 should be the best selling single installment this generation (though Code Veronica will be on top counting the various rereleases).

I still don't get why people expect RE4 to sell so much better all of a sudden than the past RE games on the system, or draw so many new people in. Yeah, they did make it much, much better, but I don't think the casual public will know that.

dark10x

AniHawk said:
I still don't get why people expect RE4 to sell so much better all of a sudden than the past RE games on the system, or draw so many new people in. Yeah, they did make it much, much better, but I don't think the casual public will know that.

Well, I haven't purchased a single RE title since CV on Dreamcast...but I'm planning on purchasing RE4. I'm sure I can't be alone on this...

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Well, I haven't purchased a single RE title since CV on Dreamcast...but I'm planning on purchasing RE4. I'm sure I can't be alone on this...

Yeah, but you're not a casual gamer.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
What?!?!?

Outbreak isn't even a regular RE game. It is impressive that it has sold as much as it has when you consider just WHAT Outbreak actually is...

Well, for a mediocre RE-title, it surely is impressive then!

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
What?!?!?

"Resident Evil returns to PlayStation 2"... casuals don't know any better. All they know is it's a new RE and most still didn't bite. In fact it sold in line with the GameCube games (which if you want to get into specifics, weren't "real" sequels either but a PS1 remake and an overhauled N64 prequel, released 6 months apart no less).

edit-Actually anyone have CVX PS2 numbers before the GH drop? I'd bet it only sold around 300k at full price also.

jedimike

AniHawk said:

I'm not seeing the draw either... In fact, I think gamers are confused with RE. With all of the remakes and re-releases, the causal gamer won't know what to expect of RE4.

Jumpman

SolidSnakex said:
Seriously Kojima said from the start, before TS was even rumored for the GC that the game wouldn't work on the GC, and that's why he wasn't even going to think about making a game on the system.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:

Well, as long as there's hype from tons of game magazines and websites, and Nintendo helps Capcom advertise it, RE4 has it in the bag, so the speak.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Well, as long as there's hype from tons of game magazines and websites, and Nintendo helps Capcom advertise it, RE4 has it in the bag, so the speak.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. :p

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. :p

oprah3smaw.jpg

OPEN YOUR EYES!!! :p

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't think so...
You give the majority consumers too much credit then. They're probably mostly waiting for Outbreak to drop to $20 anyway though (like Code: Veronica X).

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
You give the majority consumers too much credit then. They're probably mostly waiting for Outbreak to drop to $20 anyway though (like Code: Veronica X).

IIRC, CODE: Veronica X for PS2 sold about 450,000 copies before hitting GH.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
IIRC, CODE: Veronica X for PS2 sold about 450,000 copies before hitting GH.
Woah, that's a little better than I thought (I figured just under 400k) but still around half of it's total sales (800k+ now). It had a DMC demo bundled with it before going GH too, right?

cvxfreak

Yep, it had a DMC demo until the GH version came out.

In September 2002, CVX was at 530K and it had been GH for a little while by then, so I believe 450K was the grand number.

jarrod

Banned
Happen to know how REmake & Zero did before their prices dropped? I'm guessing each probably did around 300-350k?

cvxfreak

I believe REmake was at 380K before a price drop to $30 and Zero was at 320K before the price drop to $20. Since they've gone Player's Choice, REmake has sold about 20K and Zero about 70,000.

jarrod

Banned
So full price sales...

Residen Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2) 450,000
Resident Evil (GC) 380,000
Resident Evil 0 (GC) 320,000
Resident Evil Outbreak (PS2) 330,000+

...the games seem pretty consistant considering the vast userbase discrepancies. Where PS2 really makes a difference seems to be in budget sales.

cvxfreak

Definitely. I'm surprised at how well CODE: Veronica X performed at the beginning of 2003, although now it's just about died down to less than 2000 copies a month. I was hoping it would sell a million, too. :(

Alcibiades

suikodan said:
I remember reading a topic from a person in this thread saying that MGS:TTS would sell 750K copies.

We're still a long way off from that.

It's also funny to read that Pikmin 2 will sell huge quantities ;)

(FYI: I bought MGS:TTS)

ok, but I thought Konami would ship a good amount of quantity, institute some sort of marketing campaign (even if minimal, like ads and cardboards, maybe contest or some pre-order incentive, like Namco did with Tales of Symphonia, which also didn't have TV ads, but had pre-order deals and a contest that spurred discussion and interest). I work in retail, and the fact that The Twin Snakes exists is probably unknown to like a good 3/4 of people that know about the franchise)... There is no exposure and Konami didn't bother to ship copies in steady quantities...

AniHawk said:
I predicted 280,000 for this year in NA, and I remember someone getting on my case about it (after the first month of sales, I lowered it to 230,000 though). It was the lowest real prediction in that thread.

dude, it's cause you're always lowballing... Nintendo published Crystal Chronicles, not matter what, they were going to give it exposure, anything less than 500,000 lifetime would be ridiculous, and you did the same thing with Four Swords, less than 100,000 first month sales for a Zelda game, you gotta be kidding me...

jarrod said:
Prediction: It'll outsell Ninja Gaiden.

it'll probably murder Ninja Gaiden in sales, just played a bit of the demo today (Pikmin 2), game looks awesome, and the first Pikmin is right now at around 700,000 copies... It's Gamecube's biggest game of the year so far, and is basically kickstarts Nintendo's Holiday/Christmas lineup...

jarrod said:
"Resident Evil returns to PlayStation 2"... casuals don't know any better. All they know is it's a new RE and most still didn't bite. In fact it sold in line with the GameCube games (which if you want to get into specifics, weren't "real" sequels either but a PS1 remake and an overhauled N64 prequel, released 6 months apart no less).

edit-Actually anyone have CVX PS2 numbers before the GH drop? I'd bet it only sold around 300k at full price also.
another problem was that REmake and RE:0 didn't exactly have good cover art which would signal them Resident Evil titles, the logos really blended with the boxes, and the fact is, I still run into a lot of people (even some Resident Evil fans), who have no idea about the existence of the Gamecube RE's, but know about Dead Aim and Outbreak.

also, the GCN RE's are getting pretty hard to find, ebgames.com and gamestop.com don't seem to be carrying too many (and if they are, they are probably used copies). I know Best Buy stopped carrying them (as well as The Twin Snakes), a few months after they were released, even though they were selling decently) Capcom should package all of the RE's for this Christmas so they can hopefully get some exposure (to the casuals that don't know about their existence), and get some hype going for RE: 4.

Konami made the worst move they have made this generation not to market The Twin Snakes in North America. They made four commercials for it in Japan...Which isn't too keen on the MGS series to begin with, or re-makes for that matter. But North America...Where we LOVE Metal Gear Solid, and have more tolerance for remakes...Especially those of The Twin Snakes caliber...And we get no commercials...And one magazine ad that ran for like six months before the game came out...And then dissapeared when it did come out.

Nintendo spent the extra money, to make a 30 second Twin Snakes commercial but Konami definitely should have done it. -1 for Konami.

A Wonderful Life is a better game than Twin Snakes, so I don't really see the problem here. It has been quite obvious that Konami has no plans to seriously support Gamecube, and Twin Snakes would've needed to pull down big sales for them to even consider changing that stance.

etiolate

Banned
Metal Gear Solid series is nothing without its hype. You take the hype away and its just another game on the shelf. The Nintendo audience is not prone to fall head over hears for story driven games with sparseness of gameplay. That's all Sony's territory.

A Wonderful Life is a better game than Metal Gear Solid, so I don't really see the problem here.

And fixed.

wazoo

in europe, they were more ads for MGS2 Substance on xbox than for MGS TS.

In fact, even one ad would have still qualified as "more".

It is like Nintendo and Konami did thought they were doing a mistake between E3'03 where they were pretty enthousiastic and the release.

etiolate said:
Metal Gear Solid series is nothing without its hype. You take the hype away and its just another game on the shelf. The Nintendo audience is not prone to fall head over hears for story driven games with sparseness of gameplay. That's all Sony's territory

Which is why Nintendo fans are begging Square to release FF's on the system. Nintendo fans don't buy the games because developers don't make the games for their system.

Top Bottom