• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

strobogo

Banned
that op

oh man where has the time gone

what am I doing with my life

I know that feel. I think that whenever I watch wrestling and obviously I watch a lot of wrestling. You know that feel when you've jerked off so many times in a day that the last time it kind of hurts, your dick is barely half hard, and you're shooting out dust? That feel of disgust about how pathetic you are and how your life has come down to that? That's how I feel when I watch wrestling.

I hate myself and want to die.

Y'know it's kind of funny we have Austin/Rock II in the OP. The best main event of all time. Now we're about to have Rock/Cena Once in a lifetime II, which SHOULD be just as hyped and yet it's not.

I like the Rock. Enjoyed his 2011-12 return a lot. Had an amazing time at WM28. Probably the only time in my life where i saw thousands of grown men jump for joy like little girls (including myself) when Rock beat Cena. But now one year later here we are again...With no hype..

- Rock just sucks now. People gave him too much shit in 2012. His promos were decent, sometimes good. The WM28 match was good as well. Not great but not bad, just good. So WTF happened in 2013? Well Punk is god tier on the mic in the PG era. Rock never brought it. Their first promo was great but everything after that was flat. Both his matches with Punk sucked. Not the match itself really just the Rock. Needed WAY to many rest holds for a 20+ min match. It's safe to say the smarks are tired of the Rock and his annoying movie breaks WHILE he's holding the damn title. 40 Rock commercials during RAW isn't helping either.

- CenawinsLOL. But i gotta give props. He was in the RR earlier than expected, lost to the Shield clean, and just put on a MOTY candidate on RAW. BUT the only bullshit is this "Greatness vs redemption" tagline. Cena is not an underdog. Hasn't been for the last 8 years. No one gives a shit if he beats the Rock. Whoever wins we lose.

There's only one thing that will make that night magical besides a possible snow storm. 80k+ fans booing at these two fools in full force. WM20 is still the best crowd i've been apart of. Real fans don't give a fuck. They called out Lesnar's and Goldberg's bullshit the second the match started. That's my hope for WM29. No matter what happens at the end i'll have my hot dog wrapper and $10 coca-cola cup ready to throw.

Phew..Sorry for my little rant. Whatamark.gif

strobogo

Banned
Once in a Lifetime was weird. They blew through everything good between WM and Summerslam 2011. By the time they got around to WM season, there was nothing left. Both guys threw all of their heavy bombs right at the start of the year long build. The closer it got to the match, the less exciting it was, because everything was already said and done 8 months earlier. Actually, the majority of the build was used up before the match was even officially announced.

The year in advanced booking was a huge detriment, I think. They shouldn't have had Cena and Rock interact so much before WM 27 and they definitely should have saved their best promo work for February/March of last year instead of using it all up 3 months into it.

Y'know it's kind of funny we have Austin/Rock II in the OP. The best main event of all time. Now we're about to have Rock/Cena Once in a lifetime II, which SHOULD be just as hyped and yet it's not.

I like the Rock. Enjoyed his 2011-12 return a lot. Had an amazing time at WM28. Probably the only time in my life where i saw thousands of grown men jump for joy like little girls (including myself) when Rock beat Cena. But now one year later here we are again...With no hype..

- Rock just sucks now. People gave him too much shit in 2012. His promos were decent, sometimes good. The WM28 match was good as well. Not great but not bad, just good. So WTF happened in 2013? Well Punk is god tier on the mic in the PG era. Rock never brought it. Their first promo was great but everything after that was flat. Both his matches with Punk sucked. Not the match itself really just the Rock. Needed WAY to many rest holds for a 20+ min match. It's safe to say the smarks are tired of the Rock and his annoying movie breaks WHILE he's holding the damn title. 40 Rock commercials during RAW isn't helping either.

- CenawinsLOL. But i gotta give props. He was in the RR earlier than expected, lost to the Shield clean, and just put on a MOTY candidate on RAW. BUT the only bullshit is this "Greatness vs redemption" tagline. Cena is not an underdog. Hasn't been for the last 8 years. No one gives a shit if he beats the Rock. Whoever wins we lose.

There's only one thing that will make that night magical besides a possible snow storm. 80k+ fans booing at these two fools in full force. WM20 is still the best crowd i've been apart of. Real fans don't give a fuck. They called out Lesnar's and Goldberg's bullshit the second the match started. That's my hope for WM29. No matter what happens at the end i'll have my hot dog wrapper and $10 coca-cola cup ready to throw.

Phew..Sorry for my little rant. Whatamark.gif

Whenever someone says that or I see it somewhere I immediately think of this.

alien_vs_predator_ver3.jpg

So Rock is the Alien right?

That OP has got me hyped for Wrestlemania, well WM X7, we should just rewatch that instead.

Then watch New Japan. Real wrasslers, real crowds, real tables.

Skip Snoredown and Midcard Event.

EDIT: And yes, I came up with those totes awesome names by myself. You're welcome.
Okay, i'll admit it, I did find this "totes awesome" whatever THAT means.

TangMeng

So who else is going to Wrestlemania XXII-7? I'm wondering if I should even bother with my Big Show sign, what's the point if everyone else has one.

Okay, i'll admit it, I did find this "totes awesome" whatever THAT means.

I've got tons more too. Sign up for the newsletter if you want em. Can't be giving away all my good material for free.

And does anyone care about Ziggler anymore? What is he even doing? He's gonna have the most anti-climactic cash in ever.

Dammit. Early new OTs.

Dynamite Kid - A Matter of Pride documentary is pretty good. Talks to a bunch of wrestlers (mainly the Harts) about Dynamite Kid. Mind blowing insight into the Rougeau incident. Decent watch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know that feel. I think that whenever I watch wrestling and obviously I watch a lot of wrestling. You know that feel when you've jerked off so many times in a day that the last time it kind of hurts, your dick is barely half hard, and you're shooting out dust? That feel of disgust about how pathetic you are and how your life has come down to that? That's how I feel when I watch wrestling.
ibzzbu5IAqGYvg.gif

Thanks Sopranos thread

I was just about to applaud you on the OT for being amazing, then this kinda stopped me in my tracks.

Aiii

So not worth it
Rewind to the end of November 2011, replace Dolph Ziggler with Daniel Bryan. Same discussion.

jred2k

I hate myself and want to die.

Whether you're jerking off or watching wrestling, its always good to see a shoot.

Lunchbox

Banned
Austin vs Rock: Once before, Never Again

The two biggest stars in the industry at the biggest show in WWF history. It will also feature the first ever Wrestlemania match between HHH and The Undertaker. Taker has quietly amassed quite the win streak at Wrestlemania, but HHH is young and hungry and ready to truly cement himself as a top star in the business. WrassleGAF's favorite wrestler, The Big Show, is currently dominating the hardcore division. Other top stars include a very healthy and dependable Kurt Angle, the internet's favorite wrestler Chris Benoit, the man with a ton of heart in Eddie Guerrero, and Kane who is STILL doing a fake brother gimmick years after the fact.
i6lNSkBehxE5o.gif

i wanna go back

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some Observer notes for the non-WWE crowd:

ALL JAPAN

There was a wrestling war in Tokyo on 2/23 as All Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH and the IGF all ran big shows in the city. All three groups claimed sellouts, although NOAH was a little show. All Japan sold out Korakuen Hall based on a best-of-five series between All Japan vs. Burning (the former NOAH wrestlers). NOAH ran Differ Ariake and had 1,400, which was almost sold out. The IGF ran the Tokyo Dome City Hall and sold that out with 3,070, largely due to the fact that so many legends would be appearing.

All Japan’s show in the best-of-five series opened with Atsushi Aoki over Hiroshi Yamato in 9:12 with the assault point to give Burning the first win. Aoki said that his new goal was to team with Kotaro Suzuki and take the All-Asia tag titles from Minoru Tanaka & Koji Kanemoto. Kaz Hayashi evened it up for All Japan pinning Suzuki in 11:07. Next saw Burning’s Go Shiozaki make a statement by pinning Manabu Soya with the Go Flasher in 4:52. Such a win would indicate they are building Shiozaki up for a Triple Crown title shot, since he quickly beat the guy who holds both the Big Japan title and All Japan’s world tag titles. All Japan evened it up with Takao Omori pinning Jun Akiyama in 12:14 with the axe bomber. Last year, Akiyama had beaten Omori when Akiyama held the Triple Crown in a tremendous match, so this evened it up between the two guys who started their careers together and used to be a tag team. The deciding match saw Burning’s Yoshinobu Kanemaru win the All Japan jr. title from Shuji Kondo in 15:54 with the brainbuster. The other big match on the show was a captains fall elimination match (they’ve been doing these four vs. four matches in the main event every night this tour) with Suwama & Joe Doering & Hikaru Sato & Mazada beating Masakatsu Funaki & Akebono & Ryota Hama & Koji Kanemoto with Funaki and Suwama as captains. This time Suwama, who is challenging Funaki for the Triple Crown on 3/17 at Sumo Hall, beat Funaki via ref stoppage on a submission which is a big deal since Funaki is supposed to be the submission master.

The 3/17 show at Sumo Hall has Funaki vs. Suwama on top, Omori & Soya defending the tag titles against Akiyama & Shiozaki, Keiji Muto & Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama & Masayuki Kono, Seiya Sanada vs. Kai, Tanaka & Kanemoto vs. Suzuki & Aoki for the All-Asia belts and Kanemaru vs. Hayashi for the jr. title. Frye and Takayama got a lot of non-wrestling attention because the June 23, 2002, match at the Saitama Super Arena between the two of them in Pride is arguably the greatest MMA brawl of all-time. There have been movies in Japan and TV shows, as well as wrestling shows where the match is referenced. The two reprised their match in the Japanese movie “Nagurimono,” and it’s been referenced many times by Joe Rogan in UFC broadcasts, as well as in Rogan’s commentary in the movie “Here Comes the Boom!” It’s pretty much a descriptive term in MMA, “Frye-Takayama” meaning beyond match of the year and maybe match of the decade, and the “Frye-Takayama spot,” essentially two guys standing and wailing on each other is done in both Japanese pro wrestling, and as an opening spot on tons of American indie matches. Frye will be doing two matches in Japan next month.

To lead up to it, they have a 3/10 show at Korakuen Hall with Funaki & Akebono vs. Suwama & Doering with no pins and no DQ, with the only finishes being a knockout or submission, plus Omori & Soya & Hayashi vs. Akiyama & Shiozaki & Kanemaru, Tanaka vs. Suzuki and Kanemoto vs. Aoki.

Kanemoto, who has been working here as a regular for the past year while on loan from New Japan, is now a free agent as he didn’t sign a New Japan contract for 2013.

PRO WRESTLING NOAH

Kenta Kobashi did a public training session on 2/23 to build his 5/11 retirement match at Budokan Hall. Kobashi said that he wanted Toshiaki Kawada to come to the show. Kawada now works at a Ramen noodle shop.

The big show of the week was 2/23 at Differ Ariake with Maybach Taniguchi & Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka (the latter two from New Japan) beating KENTA & Maybach Taniguchi Jr. & Genba Hirayanagi when Taniguchi pinned KENTA after a power bomb. KENTA defends the GHC title against Taniguchi on the 3/10 show in Yokohama.

NEW JAPAN

Jushin Liger’s return to the U.K. after two decades on 6/15 in London at York Hall will be in a singles match against Prince Devitt.

Prelim wrestler Hiromu Takahashi is being sent to Europe for a long tour. It’s the usual New Japan deal where they sent a prelim guy away for a year or two, then bring him back with a new look and gimmick and try to push him.

New Japan took profiles of Shelton Benjamin, Low Ki and MVP off its web site. Low Ki hasn’t been back since the Tokyo Dome where he wore the Agent 87 costume from the Hitman video games, which was perceived by those in the company was his final FU to them. That and his being part of a match of the year candidate. If nothing else, he has a unique way of giving his notice. Benjamin has been trying to get into WWE for some time. MVP also hasn’t been back of late. MVP has been busy trying to develop a U.S. television show with Lionsgate Entertainment, and is taking a break from wrestling. The TV show is not wrestling related. He said when he returns to wrestling, which he will, that WWE, TNA or New Japan are all possibilities.

OTHER JAPAN NOTES

The IGF show on 2/23 at the Tokyo Dome City Hall started a show long angle as IGF world champion ended up being the mystery opponent for Akira Joe in the opener, which Fujita won in 2:06 with the Boston crab. Bobby Lashley appeared pinning Hideki Suzuki with a spear. Next came the Antonio Inoki birthday celebration. Among the stars brought in were Tatsumi Fujinami, Satoru Sayama as Tiger Mask, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Gran Hamada, Kitazawa, Don Arakawa, The Cobra, Akira Maeda and Stan Hansen. Hansen presented flowers to Inoki for his 70th birthday. Inoki claimed he would be running shows in China, Cuba and they would go back to Pakistan. Satoshi Ishii was supposed to face Jeff Monson. Monson was advertised but apparently pulled out, which they never announced. Instead, Ishii was to fight Sean McCorkle, a big heavyweight, who came in with a 16-4 record. However, Ishii won with an armbar in 2:41. After the match, Ishii challenged Monson to fight him on he 3/20 show in Fukuoka. A new Korean giant, Taizan, knocked out Bob Sapp in 1:39 with a right. The main event was scheduled as Naoya Ogawa facing Atsushi Sawada. Before the match started, Fujita came out. If you recall, Fujita beat Ogawa via ref stoppage on punches on the ground on the company’s New Year’s Eve show that was considered a disaster. Ogawa yelled at Fujita telling him that he only wrestled in the opener and he should go home. Ogawa first beat Atsushi Sawada with a choke in 10:27. Fujita came back out and they went at it and Ogawa used two STOs and won via choke, and then challenged Fujita to a title match.

Aiii

So not worth it
I doubt ziggler will even have a match at mania. His cash in will probably be all you see of him. I still think AJ will win the divas title at mania

Don't think so. She's had the mixed tag in January and she's getting a
defeat
at one of the upcoming Saturday Morning Slam's against Natalya. But she hasn't wrestled since then. A few weeks back they had all the divas around the screen in the back during a Kaitlyn match and they didn't include AJ in that either.

Then there's the whole tease with Layla where she took the title from the ref and looking at it longingly after she and Kaitlyn won that tag match against -other people I can't remember-

I think it's idotic they aren't doing AJ vs. Kaitlyn given how it would probably be the one match they could do with a backstory people can invest in and at least one person people actually care about enough to react to. But hey, divas are an afterthought so why bother giving them a second thought in the writing room, right?

Forkball

Still my favourite, despite attending 18.
It was a great card, but it was the end of an era. Wrestling was never the same after that.

I was on Youtube when I ran into a video with Eric Escobar. This guy seemed to be like a proto-Del Rio. I started thinking of guys who debuted and got released within the past few years. Kizarny was a big one, one match and done. Kaval also went in and out quickly. Tarver gets the dishonor of being the most expendable Nexus member. And who doesn't remember the legendary run of Lance Archer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was a great card, but it was the end of an era. Wrestling was never the same after that.

I was on Youtube when I ran into a video with Eric Escobar. This guy seemed to be like a proto-Del Rio. I started thinking of guys who debuted and got released within the past few years. Kizarny was a big one, one match and done. Kaval also went in and out quickly. Tarver gets the dishonor of being the most expendable Nexus member. And who doesn't remember the legendary run of Lance Archer.

Esssssssssssscobar

Man, I dunno why he was so bad, but he was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Nikita Koloff is in a reality show:

Former 80s star Nikita Koloff, 53, will be part of a Lifetime reality show called “Preacher’s Daughters,” about the daughter of evangelists. The show debuts on the station on 3/12. It follows three teenage girls whose fathers are pastors. One is Kolby Koloff, 16, the youngest of four girls whose parents are divorced. It covers her going back-and-forth between Kannapolis, NC, where her father lives, and Nashville, where her mother, Victoria, is also a preacher who hosts a radio show as well as runs two centers for pregnant teenagers. It notes Nikita was a former pro wrestler who is a traveling evangelist. Nikita Koloff was actually a major star in the 80s, a big main eventer for Jim Crockett Promotions as the green musclehead. In his jacked up days, he was about 275 pounds with freakish shoulders. He was born Scott Simpson in Minneapolis and was a college football teammate at Morehead State with Joe Laurinaitis, and the two became best friends. They were trained by Eddie Sharkey and during the 80s, when the steroided up bodybuilder phase of the business was at its peak, Nikita Koloff was able to walk in as a main eventer. They billed him as a Russian weightlifter who was the nephew of longtime star Ivan Koloff, and had him win matches quickly, partially because he was so green. It worked well, and at the first Great American Bash, Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff at the Charlotte baseball stadium sold out with 30,000 fans when Flair was still a babyface. He ended up going down to 219 pounds and that killed the gimmick. He was out of wrestling by the early 90s, getting a Lloyd’s of London permanent disability settlement and followed Tully Blanchard and Ivan Koloff into preaching in the Carolinas.

Aiii

So not worth it
Apparently Nikita Koloff is in a reality show:

Former 80s star Nikita Koloff, 53, will be part of a Lifetime reality show called “Preacher’s Daughters,” about the daughter of evangelists. The show debuts on the station on 3/12. It follows three teenage girls whose fathers are pastors. One is Kolby Koloff, 16, the youngest of four girls whose parents are divorced. It covers her going back-and-forth between Kannapolis, NC, where her father lives, and Nashville, where her mother, Victoria, is also a preacher who hosts a radio show as well as runs two centers for pregnant teenagers. It notes Nikita was a former pro wrestler who is a traveling evangelist. Nikita Koloff was actually a major star in the 80s, a big main eventer for Jim Crockett Promotions as the green musclehead. In his jacked up days, he was about 275 pounds with freakish shoulders. He was born Scott Simpson in Minneapolis and was a college football teammate at Morehead State with Joe Laurinaitis, and the two became best friends. They were trained by Eddie Sharkey and during the 80s, when the steroided up bodybuilder phase of the business was at its peak, Nikita Koloff was able to walk in as a main eventer. They billed him as a Russian weightlifter who was the nephew of longtime star Ivan Koloff, and had him win matches quickly, partially because he was so green. It worked well, and at the first Great American Bash, Ric Flair vs. Nikita Koloff at the Charlotte baseball stadium sold out with 30,000 fans when Flair was still a babyface. He ended up going down to 219 pounds and that killed the gimmick. He was out of wrestling by the early 90s, getting a Lloyd’s of London permanent disability settlement and followed Tully Blanchard and Ivan Koloff into preaching in the Carolinas.

The tagline for this show is Heaven help them.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/preachers-daughters

jred2k

As great as that event was, is "Houston, We Have a Problem" not the douchiest tagline for a WrestleMania ever?

I miss Raw In 5 Minutes. :(

I legit looked forward to that each week.

He even introduced me to that JR imitator clip that still makes me roll around and struggle to breathe with laughter.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I miss Raw In 5 Minutes. :(

I legit looked forward to that each week.

He even introduced me to that JR imitator clip that still makes me roll around and struggle to breathe with laughter.

I CAN'T CRACK THE CODE! SAVE US AUSTIN! SAVE US AUSTIN!

BOBBY LASHLEY! BAH GAWD THAT SONUVA BITCH!

As great as that event was, is "Houston, We Have a Problem" not the douchiest tagline for a WrestleMania ever?

ONCE IN A LIFE TIME

Same main event happens the following year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TOMORROW WE RETURN TO OUR ORIGINAL AVATARS

Can't believe it's only been a couple weeks. Feels like an eternity.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thank God.

Not sure if I wanna go back to Dark Link or try something new.

Oh that was Dark Link? Wow. I hadn't...eh...

I have no excuse for having you as a jet-black skinned man in a white suit in GWF.

Toki767

I can't believe we're finally hitting an entire month without a WWE PPV again. This is probably the longest time WWE has had between PPVs. What is it like 7 or 8 weeks?

Striker

The backstage segment just makes you think -- what makes any fan of the show want to cheer for Sheamus? Easy case of why today's writing is so annoying. He's a total dickbag. Babyface woman backstage chatting with a heel male wrestler, and a male babyface interrupts the conversation and begins making fun of the heel. So the heel shoots back, then challenges the face to a match, who the face acted upon as if it's no challenge. I mean, what?

I CAN'T CRACK THE CODE! SAVE US AUSTIN! SAVE US AUSTIN!

BOBBY LASHLEY! BAH GAWD THAT SONUVA BITCH!

I honestly cannot make it through a view without getting laughter tears still.

Always gets me at Y2J! Y2J! Y2J! BAH GAWD STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD. Like he knows who it is now and still just goes back to default Stone Cold chanting. :lol

Entropia

No One Remembers
I can't believe we're finally hitting an entire month without a WWE PPV again. This is probably the longest time WWE has had between PPVs. What is it like 7 or 8 weeks?

Yeah 7 weeks.

That's a good thing.

The Elimination Chamber shouldn't even be a PPV :( We've had this discussion before countless times about how the WWE should have at most 5-6 PPVs a year.

I honestly cannot make it through a view without getting laughter tears still.

Always gets me at Y2J! Y2J! Y2J! BAH GAWD STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD. Like he knows who it is now and still just goes back to default Stone Cold chanting. :lol

The way he says "GOOOOOLDBERG" always gets me.

jred2k

There were 6 weeks between TLC and the Rumble. It just feels long now cause there was only like 3 weeks between RR and EC.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah 7 weeks.

That's a good thing.

The Elimination Chamber shouldn't even be a PPV :( We've had this discussion before countless times about how the WWE should have at most 5-6 PPVs a year.

Don't know if it is such a good thing. I mean, last weeks Raw was a throwaway Raw and other then Taker's return next week's Old School Raw is probably a throwaway show as well.

Top Bottom