• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sheamus is he biff tannen of the WWE

No...

Biff was awesome. Sheamus isn't on Biff's level.

RZTPRkyl.jpg

2 Big Shows...with the same finisher.

Yeah 7 weeks.

That's a good thing.

The Elimination Chamber shouldn't even be a PPV :( We've had this discussion before countless times about how the WWE should have at most 5-6 PPVs a year.

Call me crazy but I like that WWE actually have plenty of PPV events, lets face it aside from a few exceptions like on Raw this week you never get great matches on Raw, you're lucky to even get good matches, at PPV events there's a far greater chance of matches actually being entertaining (and not interrupted by numerous breaks or ending in outside interference).
Also consider that every Road to WM in the last 5 or 6 years has been mostly cack because WWE are incapable of keeping an interesting feud going for more than 3 weeks before the booking falls to the most lazy of tropes, I couldn't handle that for like 2 months straight of the same feud with no pay off.
As long as there's a good 4-5 weeks in between events i'm fine, just got to avoid that October period where WWE kept cramming in another event leading to some 2 week builds.

Granted i'm a product of WWE's 12 PPV's a year tradition, i've never known any different.

Penguin

Call me crazy but I like that WWE actually have plenty of PPV events, lets face it aside from a few exceptions like on Raw this week you never get great matches on Raw, you're lucky to even get good matches, at PPV events there's a far greater chance of matches actually being entertaining (and not interrupted by numerous breaks or ending in outside interference).
Also consider that every Road to WM in the last 5 or 6 years has been mostly cack because WWE are incapable of keeping an interesting feud going for more than 3 weeks before the booking falls to the most lazy of tropes, I couldn't handle that for like 2 months straight of the same feud with no pay off.
As long as there's a good 4-5 weeks in between events i'm fine, just got to avoid that October period where WWE kept cramming in another event leading to some 2 week builds.

Granted i'm a product of WWE's 12 PPV's a year tradition, i've never known any different.

But if they did less PPVs would be forced to market/advertise matches like Punk/Cena on Raw more often.

Kind of like how the WWE would have mini-feuds when Smackdown/Raw had their own PPVs. Since had to kill time between major shows.

Ithil

Still counting on AJ/Ziggler vs. Kaitlyn/Cody at WrestleMania.

I'd rather Ziggler vs Cody and AJ vs Kaitlyn, separately. AJ wins the Divas titles, Dolph cashes in and wins the WHC at some point in the night, maybe even before his match with Cody so it becomes a title match. Team Rocket has a bone thrown to it.

But if they did less PPVs would be forced to market/advertise matches like Punk/Cena on Raw more often.

Kind of like how the WWE would have mini-feuds when Smackdown/Raw had their own PPVs. Since had to kill time between major shows.

This is a good point, though on a side note I can't be the only one who felt that the Smackdown only PPVs tended to be crud outside of their main events most of the time.

Penguin

This is a good point, though on a side note I can't be the only one who felt that the Smackdown only PPVs tended to be crud outside of their main events most of the time.

I actually preferred the Smackdown only PPVs because they always pushed new stars and feuds.

I mean compare Smackdown's main event scene throughout that era to Raw's and you'd see a stark contrast in our current roster.

Heck even people like Cena,Benoit (I know) and Angle became bigger stars on Smackdown then were moved over to Raw to fill the roster

I actually preferred the Smackdown only PPVs because they always pushed new stars and feuds.

I mean compare Smackdown's main event scene throughout that era to Raw's and you'd see a stark contrast in our current roster.

Heck even people like Cena,Benoit (I know) and Angle became bigger stars on Smackdown then were moved over to Raw to fill the roster

I was a slave to Raw's star power, I was chuffed when they put the shows back together for PPVs, no more (completely) awful Great American Bash and Armageddon events in my book.
I will give you that 2003 Raw events were pretty bad if I remember correctly.

Stuff from wwe investor call from arda orcals twitter

Re: video game deal, "Take Two blew us away with commitment in terms of getting us on as many platforms as possible."

No prediction on when WWE Network will launch, but pushing very hard, very optimistic.
Expand

Have not met longer term financial goals yet re: WWE films. If 2013 doesn't go well, WWE may exit this business.

3-4 million subscribers of WWE Network could provide transformative growth. Barrios is confident in this approach.

Proposed price of WWE Network - $12.99 - $14.99 per month

WWE Network will include all Pay Per View events, except Wrestlemania. PPV will still be available on "a la carte" basis.

Re: WWE Network, it is felt that premium domestic subscription model is best approach. Could attract 2-4 million subscribers.

Content monetization are expected to be a large revenue generator in WWE's long term strategy.
Expand

WWE will continue to focus on talent development, content creation, innovative marketing strategies.

WWE Network related costs: 8.2 million. Feel that content investments will yield significant returns.

Barrios: PPV business declined 11% due to reduction in # of events. 3 PPV as opposed to 4. Comparable basis, 4% increase, due to HD buys.

WWE Network related costs: 8.2 million. Feel that content investments will yield significant returns.

For that price, why not try the network? Not much to lose on their end and if it succeeds they could make mad money.

I'd pay $13-$15 a month easily.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That huge library waiting to be cleaned up and shared with the world. WWE Network would be great.

SO much footage WWE owns that I'm dying to see. The youtube rips of a lot of these smaller feds in the 80s leaves much to be desired.

I'd give anything for a great, decent quality set of Jimmy Garvin's WCCW run. I absolutely adore the work he did then, some of my favorite stuff.

Aren't PPVs still 40 a month or something. So what's stopping someone from ordering the WWE network just for the month the PPV they want to watch is on? Or is that what they're banking on?

KissVibes

Banned
Aren't PPVs still 40 a month or something. So what's stopping someone from ordering the WWE network just for the month the PPV they want to watch is on? Or is that what they're banking on?

Yeah, some PPV buys are so low they'd love for someone to pay $15 and find they enjoy the rest of the content OR forget to cancel.

yes because if they pay 15 for the ppv they have it for the month and there is a large chance they will keep subscribing if they find some value besides ppvs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People make fun when I do and it upsets me.

You could have picked a better photo, no doubt. And I'm sure you're not upset that one of his best friends, Ed Asner, played Lou Thesz.

Ithil

It's not like they don't have everything they needd to fill a daily schedule on a WWE Network. They've got over a thousand episodes of RAW, like 700 episodes of Smackdown alone you could show one of each per day (Classic RAW, etc), never mind weekly classic PPVs and weekly documentaries from the DVDs, and new WWE programs. You don't need to put dumb reality shows on the Network, the tape libarary alone would fill each day.

That's just WWE stuff, they've got WCW, ECW, AWA, Memphis, JCP, WCCW, all sorts of others they can put out too. Like Nitros on weekdays, WCW PPVs on weekends, classic 70s/80s stuff in the early part of the day, ECW stuff late at night.

They have all this stuff in high quality tapes doing nothing. I think they have every single episode of RAW stored in their vault. Even at one a day, you'd only do a third of all RAW episodes in a year. And of course you can do the non-Big Four WWE PPVs on the Sundays live, just for those subscribers.

Then there's stuff like special promotion weeks you could do like a WCW Week, where you do Nitros, WCW PPVs, documentaries, Clash of the Champions, all sorts.

Of course, you might say, this is awfully hardcore, only the really big fans would subscribe to this Network. Hell, I would, if it were available. But casual fans will never subscribe to a WWE Network even if you dump some dumb reality shows and wrestling cooking shows and whatever else crap you think would attract more viewers. It will never be a huge subscriber base, not even the NFL channel is a big viewer thing. Appeal to everyone who might possibly want to see all these classic (that includes former viewers that loved the Attitude Era) shows and you'd get subscribers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like they don't have everything they needd to fill a daily schedule on a WWE Network. They've got over a thousand episodes of RAW, like 700 episodes of Smackdown alone you could show one of each per day (Classic RAW, etc), never mind weekly classic PPVs and weekly documentaries from the DVDs, and new WWE programs. You don't need to put dumb reality shows on the Network, the tape libarary alone would fill each day.

That's just WWE stuff, they've got WCW, ECW, AWA, Memphis, JCP, WCCW, all sorts of others they can put out too. Like Nitros on weekdays, WCW PPVs on weekends, classic 70s/80s stuff in the early part of the day, ECW stuff late at night.

They have all this stuff in high quality tapes doing nothing. I think they have every single episode of RAW stored in their vault. Even at one a day, you'd only do a third of all RAW episodes in a year. And of course you can do the non-Big Four WWE PPVs on the Sundays live, just for those subscribers.

Then there's stuff like special promotion weeks you could do like a WCW Week, where you do Nitros, WCW PPVs, documentaries, Clash of the Champions, all sorts.

Of course, you might say, this is awfully hardcore, only the really big fans would subscribe to this Network. Hell, I would, if it were available. But casual fans will never subscribe to a WWE Network even if you dump some dumb reality shows and wrestling cooking shows and whatever else crap you think would attract more viewers. It will never be a huge subscriber base, not even the NFL channel is a big viewer thing. Appeal to everyone who might possibly want to see all these classic (that includes former viewers that loved the Attitude Era) shows and you'd get subscribers.

The thing is, and they mentioned it during the financial call, is that they have all this footage, like you said, doing nothing. Monetizing that through WWE Network is the best route for them to take to make that owned footage finally start earning money.

Man I want this shit so bad. Maybe I can beta test it forever :(

Aiii

So not worth it
I wish they would launch it worldwide. We get channels like CC, Fox, Discovery, Nat. geo, HBO, etc.

I would gladly pay 10-15 euro's for this.

Ithil

The thing is, and they mentioned it during the financial call, is that they have all this footage, like you said, doing nothing. Monetizing that through WWE Network is the best route for them to take to make that owned footage finally start earning money.

Man I want this shit so bad. Maybe I can beta test it forever :(

That's what I mean, they did all that stuff like ask for ideas for new shows FOR the Network. I get that they would, and should, have programming centered on current talent, but they have this gigantic tape library that they already own, that's basically free money. They don't need to spend any time or money making many new shows when they library they've got could easily fill an entire TV schedule.

the NFL network is in 60 million homes and is really popular. the WWE should and seems to be following the model NFL network has which is live events + classic shows + some documentaries.

also i believe that the NFL network is part of some tiered package for some providers which helps to get viewers. i think wwe would be an HBO position of charging per customer. it also took forever for A majority of cable provders to carry it. but i think WWE ha a better chance since it would be such a low price to get it.

i also want them to do that legends hosue show they were pitching when the network was almost real.

Ithil

the NFL network is in 60 million homes and is really popular. the WWE should and seems to be following the model NFL network has which is live events + classic shows + some documentaries.

also i believe that the NFL network is part of some tiered package for some providers which helps to get viewers. i think wwe would be an HBO position of charging per customer. it also took forever for A majority of cable provders to carry it. but i think WWE ha a better chance since it would be such a low price to get it.

i also want them to do that legends hosue show they were pitching when the network was almost real.

They did the Legends House in 2011, when they thought the Network was close to a launch, the footage has been sitting around ever since.

i think they network is a good deal for 10-15$. 11 out of 12 ppvs basiclly pays for ti self in the savings plus all the other tape library.

the amount of shark week type things they could do is great. would love to see more docs in the style of punks!

WCW Saturday Night #5 (1 Hour show on F/X)
10,508 @ Tingly Coliseum

Dark Match: Chris Harris v James Storm
In an awful match that was completely devoid of heat, Chris Harris defeated James Storm in 4:50 by pinfall with a Cat Attack. (F)

Dark Match: Team Amazement v The Mamalukes
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Team Amazement defeated The Mamalukes in 7:34 when Alex Wright defeated Big Vito by pinfall. (D-)

Dark Match: Crowbar v Kwee Kee
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Crowbar defeated Kwee Wee in 6:10 by pinfall. (D-)

-

Show Start

Match: Kaz Hayashi v Shannon Moore
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Shannon Moore defeated Kaz Hayashi in 7:36 by pinfall with a fast roll up. (D-)

- Eric Bischoff makes his way down to the ring. He looks slightly confused. He apologises first of all for taking up vital screen time, but feels this is important. He says theres an imposter going around pretending to be the owner of WCW. Handing out contracts to wrestlers on the indy scene, as well as wrestlers Bischoff has personally fired. Bischoff reassures everyone that he is in control - he is the owner of WCW, and they'll be no way he lets anyone try and sabotage the WCW dream again. Suddenly, a well dressed man appears at the entrance way with a mic. "Eric. Eric." he begins. "You're not the owner of WCW. I am." (D)

- The man introduces himself as Don Callis, CEO of Media Ventures, the investment group that backed Eric Bischoff's purchase of WCW. Callis goes onto say that while Eric used his own money, the majority of money came from Media Ventures, as well as other outside groups. In effect... 'I own you', Callis says to Bischoff. Bischoff looks confused and angry. Bischoff asks Callis if it was him who re-hired Kevin Nash. 'Yes, I hired Kevin Nash. He's a superstar. He's known around the world, he's the kind of wrestler we need to take WCW to the next level." Bischoff sighs and laughs. "You have no idea what you're doing. Don't tell me you've hired Scott Hall too..." (D+)

- Callis says he'll hire who he wants, and he'll fire who he wants. Bischoff stands there silent, shaking his head in disbelief. He finally speaks up, saying for the last month he's promised everyone that WCW was changed. He said the same mistakes wouldn't be made again, yet here they were being replayed again right in front of everyone. "I AM THE OWNER OF WCW, I've pour sweat and blood to get WCW back on it's feet and I'm not going to let be taken away again just because someone invested $1 more!" Callis says he's a fair man, but he knows when he's right. Don Callis, CEO of Media Ventures is the owner of WCW and in turn... he owns Eric Bischoff. Bischoff says he'll fight this in a court of law. But no! Don Callis holds up his hand as if to stop something invisable for moving forward. "No. Like I said, I'm a fair man, Eric. We'll work together to propell WCW to the next level!" Don Callis doesn't shake Eric Bischoff's hands, but gaves a wave to the fans as he walks off. (D)

Tag Match: The Harris Brothers v KroniK
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, KroniK defeated Harris Brothers in 6:43 when Bryan Clark defeated Ron Harris by pinfall with a Power Bomb. (D)

- Buff Bagwell is in the ring. He wants Billy Kidman's attention, as tonight Bagwell is 100% focused and will prove himself against anyone. So Kidman better prepare himself for The Stuff at Bash at the Beach. When all of a sudden... It's REY MISTERIO JR! He runs down into the ring and the match starts instantly. (D)

Match: Buff Bagwell v REY MISTERIO JR!!
In an extremely short match, Rey Misterio Jr. defeated Buff Bagwell in 3:10 by pinfall with a Springboard Hurracanrana. (D)

- As Rey Misterio celebrates in the ring after his lightning win over Buff Bagwell, DDP appears at the ramp way. He's representing Johnny Swinger! 'Rey-Rey, it's great you're back, and I'm sure you want to get straight back into the action. But let's not forget that ma'man Johnny Swinger also won last week, so he should get a title shot too. What'ya say, Billy?' (D)

- Back from the break Scott Steiner is in the ring. He's shouting about how great he is, and how he'll win tonight without Rick Steiner's help. He tells people to press record and get their cameras ready as tonight will be the last night anyone sees Lex Luger wrestle again (B-)

- #1 Contender Match: Lex Luger v Scott Steiner
In a bout that had a good crowd and good action, Scott Steiner defeated Lex Luger in 10:10 by submission. (D+)

Show End (D+)
TV Rating: 0.24 (down from 0.26 last week)

The Chris Harris v James Storm match was so bad it killed the crowd before the show even started!
Crowbar and Kwee Kee didn't click in their match, but still managed to put an 'OK' fight together.
This was the first show with a slightly redefined product setting. A small increase in the 'Modern' field from 'Low' to 'Medium'. This saw the crowd balanced between those who wanted popular wrestlers on the card, and those who wanted good in-ring performers. Next change will be a slight increase to the level of 'danger' allowed during the matches.
The reason DDP appeared as Johnny Swinger's representative was simply because Swinger can't work the mic, and DDP has taken Swinger in as his protege over the last month.
Still no new contract offer for Buff Bagwell. He's due to leave WCW in 2 weeks time.
This was the first show where Scott Steiner was allowed to work off script. It worked well. Surprisingly.
TV Ratings continue to fall. A distinct lack of stars, and slow (not very good) booking could be the issue. Scott Steiner is the only 'Star'. However, it could be argued that the loss in popularity since WCW rebirth is simply WCW falling into their natural level.
With the last WCW Saturday Night now aired before Bash at the Beach, there are only 3 real matches booked, which means a few 'throw away' matches will have to take place. The 1 hour TV slot is precious, but at the same time needs to be better managed to help promote the PPVs and develop feuds.

Don Callis claims he is the owner of WCW. Eric Bischoff claims he is the owner of WCW. Who owns WCW?
How will Bischoff & Callis work together to take WCW forward? Who has Callis signed?!
Who will get to face Billy Kidman at Bash at the Beach? Will Johnny Swinger get his US Title shot at Bash at the Beach? Why is DDP representing Swinger? Will the Returning Rey Misterio Jr. get his title shot?
Steiner has won the #1 Contender spot for the WCW Heavyweight Title. Will he beat Booker T?

--

Bash at the Beach Card

WCW Heavyweight Title: Scott Steiner v Booker T (c)
WCW US Title: ??? v Billy Kidman (c)
WCW Tag Titles: Kronik v Natural Born Thrillers (c)
WCW Cruiserweight Title: Shannon Moore v Gregory Helms (c)

jred2k

i think they network is a good deal for 10-15$. 11 out of 12 ppvs basiclly pays for ti self in the savings plus all the other tape library.

the amount of shark week type things they could do is great. would love to see more docs in the style of punks!

Does WrassleGAF observe the week-long celebration known as Shark Johnson Week?

Penguin

10-15 bucks is a great deal seeing how I already pay 7 bucks a month for WWE on Demand from my cable provider.

And they have a ton of interesting content on there already.

But I do hope
1)When they show Raw/Nitros they get rid of the lame intros from their announcers
2)Actually show the PPVs in order.. sucks how they build up to PPVs.. and then don't show them around the same time as the Nitro/Raws leading into them

Anth0ny

There's only one thing that will make that night magical besides a possible snow storm. 80k+ fans booing at these two fools in full force. WM20 is still the best crowd i've been apart of. Real fans don't give a fuck. They called out Lesnar's and Goldberg's bullshit the second the match started. That's my hope for WM29. No matter what happens at the end i'll have my hot dog wrapper and $10 coca-cola cup ready to throw.

it's gonna happen

and it will be magical

if cena wins... they riot

tm24

Man, i know this thread loves to armchair book and everything, but at least we know how our industry works and can keep our expectations in line. The Skullgirls thread in Gaming is just a mess.

ALso, love how Ambrose exits the ring here

hsBMAvJ.gif

Ithil

Rollins does a similar over the top exit just after that, if he hadn't been looking away when Ambrose exited I'd have said they were competing over who could exit the fanciest.

Cena is gonna get ripped to shreds at WM no matter what, but I actually hope they shit on the entire match, not just Cena, just to drive home what a total waste of viewer's time and your roster's talent it is making back to back identical WM main events just to ensure CENA gets yet another accolade. They totally wasted an entire WM build, a Rumble win, and the Rock's last ever WWE title run on a pointless rematch of a terrible feud, so the NY crowd shitting all over the match would be lovely.

Man, i know this thread loves to armchair book and everything, but at least we know how our industry works and can keep our expectations in line. The Skullgirls thread in Gaming is just a mess.

A fascinating read though that can shift into hilariously bewildering at a moments notice, keeps you on the edge of your seat like a good back and forth wrasslin' match.

tj hazuki

RAW breakdown

The show opened strong with the Vince McMahon segment with Paul Heyman, Brock Lesnar and HHH doing a 3.6 quarter. We only have estimates on the gains and losses. Ryback vs. Dolph Ziggler lost about 285,000 viewers. The C.M. Punk promo and trailer for “The Call” gained about 420,000 viewers which is huge for that time slot. Mark Henry vs. Great Khali lost about 285,000 viewers. The 9 p.m. in-ring with Jack Swagger, Zeb Colter and Alberto Del Rio gained about 285,000 viewers and did a strong 3.7 quarter. Randy Orton vs. Antonio Cesaro lost about 430,000 viewers. R-Truth vs. Cody Rhodes stayed even. Daniel Bryan & Kane vs. Prime Time Players with Bryan blindfolded and Kane having his hand tied behind his back lost another 285,000 viewers. The Shield promo at 10 p.m. with Randy Orton and Sheamus involved gained about 285,000 viewers to a 3.4. Jack Swagger vs. The Miz was the big drop losing 450,000 viewers. The John Cena promo gained 140,000 viewers. And John Cena vs. C.M. Punk gained about 1,002,000 viewers and finished with a 3.9 overrun. That’s a huge success.

CM DRAW
CubQa.png

Aiii

So not worth it
Who knew that if you build a match and give it time people will actually watch your show? Vince must be legit shook by this.

Top Bottom