• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

No one can help me on Punk's in-ring skills? It was a legitimate question. I'm seriously wondering what matches to watch to showcase his in ring skill because I'm just not seeing it.

Punk is a fantastic wrestler and has been for near a decade. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

In any case watch his ROH matches (as usual).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So what did I miss since leaving at the beginning of the Miz/Punk match?

Punk won, then Jericho came on and tried to get into Punk's head by saying that the reason Punk is straight edge is because his father was an alcoholic. Got all psychoanalytical, said something about the pain of wanting a drink leading to Punk getting tattoos, then said he's going to expose Punk at WM and drive him to drink, etc.

No one can help me on Punk's in-ring skills? It was a legitimate question. I'm seriously wondering what matches to watch to showcase his in ring skill because I'm just not seeing it.

Punk vs Bryan(the first match from a few weeks ago) is the last good one. He definitely seems to have gotten worse in the ring since becoming champ though. I blame it on WWE trying to mold him into the 5mod moveset like Cena. If he gets enough time with a good opponent he has a good match.

somedevil

I understand that. But it turned from you stole my gimmick, I'm the best in the world, into, you're just a useless drunk like your daddy! Match didn't need it.

I think its both because he brings this up to get in Punks head that the whole best in the world is just his gimmick to cover up for his dad and Jericho believes it his truly his and not a cover for his flaws.

Dinokill

Edgier WWE is best WWE.

Now lets make some KKK angle and have the Undertaker call HBK a junkie cokehead.

Controversy creates muthafukin' cash

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
people are offended by the drinking stuff.... good thing this product is PG

Eh, I'm not offended by the drinking thing. It's just that it's completely unnecessary if you're doing the feud right.

It's just the proverbial "trying too hard" that comes from having soap opera writers handling this stuff instead of wrestling minds.

In regards to Punk's in-ring skills, I don't think he was ever regarded as a great technician like Danielson, even during his ROH days and the epic 3-match series with Samoa Joe - but Punk understands match psychology and structure, sells better than most and cuts awesome promos, given a good enough scenario, which definitely allows him to arise over the occasional sloppiness or an unconvincing move-set.

This was the very first ROH show I saw way back in 2003, I loved this promo and was instantly sold on Punk, so good. I'd say he only ever bettered it with the Second City Saints promo where he & Cabana won the tag belts, and his heel turn promo after winning the ROH World Title.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Attitudinal?
nsMeO.jpg

Attitudinal.

Punk is a fantastic wrestler and has been for near a decade. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

In any case watch his ROH matches (as usual).
I acknowledged I haven't been back watching for long, but I've seen a guy who is sloppy, weak, and slow. He struggles to get even smaller guys up for his finisher. He rarely gets enough air under him for his corner knee. He has to have the worst top rope elbow I've ever seen. I'll admit that he has good psychology but from what I've seen (which, again, isn't much) he doesn't look convincing when he's delivering his offense. I'll have to check out his older stuff I suppose.

Punk vs Bryan(the first match from a few weeks ago) is the last good one. He definitely seems to have gotten worse in the ring since becoming champ though. I blame it on WWE trying to mold him into the 5mod moveset like Cena. If he gets enough time with a good opponent he has a good match.
Okay, I just assumed that was a Bryan carryjob since I've seen him have good matches with other people. He's had the belt for as long as I've been back watching regularly so that makes sense. Thanks.

In regards to Punk's in-ring skills, I don't think he was ever regarded as a great technician like Danielson, even during his ROH days and the epic 3-match series with Samoa Joe - but Punk understands match psychology and structure, sells better than most and cuts awesome promos, given a good enough scenario, which definitely allows him to arise over the occasional sloppiness or an unconvincing move-set.
Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom