• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin |OT| Road To WrassleMania

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yep, AJ beat Mark Henry in the finals to win the WWE 12 Superstar Tournament. She beat Cody and Mark beat McGillibuddy in the semis.
yes.gif

So SD is over so Im gonna post the WM thread.

Due to popular opinion I am going with ......

Wrestlemana 28 |OT| WWE is having another Big Show

Just a final question. What time does Wrestlemana Start at in the US?

Or could someone make one of those countdown clock gifs I can put in the OP latter?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Or could someone make one of those countdown clock gifs I can put in the OP latter?
Remember to put

#Wrestlemana 28 |OT| WWE is having another Big Show

Razorskin

----- ------

7pm east

which thread to post in during event?

This is how I think it should go.

wrestlemania thread for wrestlemania talk and general wrestlemania weekend shenanigans like the HOF + other events.

March OT for random wrestling talk like if TNA closes down or something.

Plus its probably better to talk about the Mania spoilers in this thread instead of the WM thread just so no one ruins it for people who dont read the dirt sheets.

Kaladin

Is this you, dude?
aQOvp.png

CLRsU.png

Yep, that's me. That was an awesome show. Tozawa/Mochizuki and Low Ki/Pac were the matches of the night. During the Low Ki/Pac match, Ki had Pac on the apron around my area and gave him a hard chop, I said "Again!" and Low Ki gave me this look....and then everyone started chanting "One more time!" and when Ki went for it, Pac pushed him hard into the barricade next to me....awesome match and still one more night of Dragon Gate to go!

Just got back from the ROH show. It was my first ROH show and it was amazing . Go out of your way to see Storm vs Bennett (Good lord Maria is soooooooo hot...... like really hot) Steen vs Generico (probably going to be the best match of the weekend regardless of promotion) and Strong vs Richards vs Edwards (while usually not a fan of super long Strong matches this one was awesome.)

Yep, that's me. That was an awesome show. Tozawa/Mochizuki and Low Ki/Pac were the matches of the night. During the Low Ki/Pac match, Ki had Pac on the apron around my area and gave him a hard chop, I said "Again!" and Low Ki gave me this look....and then everyone started chanting "One more time!" and when Ki went for it, Pac pushed him hard into the barricade next to me....awesome match and still one more night of Dragon Gate to go!

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious.
Tozawa/Mochizuki was still my favorite match of the night, although I felt that it was a well rounded card altogether. Really, the only match that was kind of dull to me was the Street Fight, and even that was fairly solid - I suspect that's because Sabu didn't get his hands on a steel chair at any point throughout the match. All in all, it was a fun PPV, and although I'll have to miss out on Mercury Rising tomorrow, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any other iPPVs that will be held in the future.

Also, I feel kind of embarrassed that it took me so long to find you; the cameras for the live feed were pointed towards your row for half of the matches. It was the shirt that threw me off! I had to Google Metal Blade before I figured it out.

Sadsic

A GOOD wrestling show should be the equivalent of a good action movie. The sort of action movie that follows characters in a tournament win/loss based setting. So yeah, the drama, both in storyline and in combat, is a part of that, but it should all ultimately boil down to rivalries of all sorts being settled in the ring. It's not about thinking it's real, or watching in some ironic fashion, it's just about watching a show. Some people like it for the characters and personalities, some people like it for the scripted ballet of violence that occurs from bell to bell, and some people like it for both. It's no more complicated then that. It's one part action movie, one part Roman gladiators, one part showmanship, one part D-level storytelling (for the most part). If you're ever been entertained by any kind of scripted fight scene, there's really nothing to explain. People like to see athletes doing athletic things, people like to see good vs. evil, people like to buy into storylines.

so like if the action was removed and it was just like some sort of straight up drama, how many fans would bolt? is the pure machismo through the guise of a serialized story the reason for watching? does wrestling culture have crossover with any other sort of performance art specifically, like dance or live theatre? or is this basically the dance/live theatre/greek mythology for the adrenaline junkies

also would wrestling as a whole be better or worse if the writing of the drama increased to a level that it took over as the main function of the "performance", or is this removing like the main function of wrestling? because personally i believe itd be easier for me personally to accept wrestling as some sort of performance art if it had a sort of dignity to its culture

Tozawa/Mochizuki was awesome, easily best match of the night and shame it didn't really pick up further from there. Now to watch ROH!

also would wrestling as a whole be better or worse if the writing of the drama increased to a level that it took over as the main function of the "performance", or is this removing like the main function of wrestling? because personally i believe itd be easier for me personally to accept wrestling as some sort of performance art if it had a sort of dignity to its culture

Well, it wouldn't be wrestling any more - just look at WWE's brand of 'sports entertainment' compared to the style of pre-90's Pro-Wrestling, Japanese Puroresu, or current Independent Wrestling. There, the story is largely told through the wrestlers actions during the match - the best wrestlers know how to take a simple and well written storyline that doesn't need a ton of time wasted on dull and badly acted in-ring segments to explain itself, and give it meaning and gravitas through their actions and responses while wrestling, and maybe one or two short pre or post match promos.

I've personally always compared wrestling to the Chinese performance art/sport of 'wu shu', whereby martial artists compete for judges scores with choreographed solo performances and mock battles, it's just that with wrestling it's the fan's reactions and how the booker, the guy/s in charge, perceive those reactions, that are providing the judges scores and thus determining which competitor is the best, which competitors deserve a 'push' into more lucrative spots on the card.

That's what I'm watching wrestling for. I want to be amazed by the strength and athleticism on display in the ring, but I also want that suspension of disbelief that comes when two or more wrestlers, experts at their craft, put on a match that draws me in to such a degree that I forget, or simply don't care, that what I'm watching is orchestrated.

so like if the action was removed and it was just like some sort of straight up drama, how many fans would bolt? is the pure machismo through the guise of a serialized story the reason for watching? does wrestling culture have crossover with any other sort of performance art specifically, like dance or live theatre? or is this basically the dance/live theatre/greek mythology for the adrenaline junkies

If you removed the wrestling from wrestling, I'm pretty sure a TON of fans would bolt. No matter how good the storytelling got outside of the ring, people aren't tuning in to see some kind of high art performance take place. All of that storytelling should come back around to settling conflicts inside a wrestling ring. It's a scripted show about guys in combat with each other for titles, pride, honor, revenge, vengeance, etc. etc. It takes the standard combat sports mold and adds fight pacing, match psychology, over the top personalities, and storylines to it in a way that other legitimate sports could never do. The whole thing is the draw. Stray too far from either end, and I think you risk becoming a niche program at a time where wrestling as a whole is already a niche product.

That doesn't mean that improving the storytelling to a level comparable to a Mad Men, or hell, even average film/television scripts would harm the product though. On the contrary, that would only help to make the entire show more engrossing, and serve to make the eventual fight that much more exciting. Both aspects must work in tandem which is a HUGE problem with the WWE, and has been for nearly 10 years.

If you're looking for a high quality dramatic program, or top notch writing without the "baggage" of wrestling in your wrestling, you'd be better off watching one of the numerous great TV shows out there. Pro wrestling is all about "dumb fun." And even then, the quality of mainstream wrestling is SO bad most of the time these days that you're better off looking elsewhere for that dumb fun.

EDIT: And as Bootaaay pointed out, there are entire companies out there that PRIDE themselves in storytelling told IN the ring during matches/confrontations rather than on a microphone, or through bad soap opera style productions. Removing wrestling from those totally kills that product. The Japanese and Independent scene is completely different than what you might be looking at with the WWE.

Apparently there were serious audio synch issues with the ROH iPPV last night, due to slow internet speeds in the building - the audio is properly synched on the replay, but the replay cuts out during the Generico/Steen match :/

That doesn't bode well for the iPPV tonight, as they're in the same building, but hopefully they can get it sorted before showtime (and hopefully GFL can get the damn full replay up so I can see the main event).

By contrast, the DGUSA iPPV went off without a single hitch all night, which I believe is a first for DGUSA iPPVs I've purchased.

bart jr

Neo Member
Apparently there were serious audio synch issues with the ROH iPPV last night, due to slow internet speeds in the building - the audio is properly synched on the replay, but the replay cuts out during the Generico/Steen match :/

That doesn't bode well for the iPPV tonight, as they're in the same building, but hopefully they can get it sorted before showtime (and hopefully GFL can get the damn full replay up so I can see the main event).

By contrast, the DGUSA iPPV went off without a single hitch all night, which I believe is a first for DGUSA iPPVs I've purchased.

I am glad that I decided to get the DGUSA iPPV and catch the ROH iPPV later. It's looking like I won't get to watch either of the ROH ones until tomorrow or Monday, though.

How was the TMDK match? Someone posted a match/promo of theirs a few days ago(honestly it was probably you, haha) and I was looking forward to seeing them wrestle the Briscoes.

According to ROH's twitter the synch and bandwidth issues are all sorted for tonight's iPPV, so hopefully there won't be any more problems.

TMDK vs The Briscoes was a good 10-12 minutes opener, really got the fans going, especially towards the end of the match. The Briscoes did a good job putting over the Aussies, and the crowd were popping huge for some of TMDK's double teams - they really looked like they belonged, so hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of them in ROH.

I am glad that I decided to get the DGUSA iPPV and catch the ROH iPPV later. It's looking like I won't get to watch either of the ROH ones until tomorrow or Monday, though.

How was the TMDK match? Someone posted a match/promo of theirs a few days ago(honestly it was probably you, haha) and I was looking forward to seeing them wrestle the Briscoes.

TMDK was impressive in their match with the Briscoes. Both guy's were quite athletic in the ring and the both had personality. Briscoes as always brought it and the match ended up being really entertaining. Hope ROH brings them back in because they would only strengthen a great tag division.

Kaladin

Busy day today....

ROH Showdown in the Sun 2
WrassleGaf Meet Up
Dragon Gate USA Mercury Rising 2012
$5 Wrestling Live

Busy busy day.

bart jr

Neo Member
Busy day today....

ROH Showdown in the Sun 2
WrassleGaf Meet Up
Dragon Gate USA Mercury Rising 2012
$5 Wrestling Live

Busy busy day.

I'm envious. I plan on saving money now so that I can go to Wrestlemania next year and hit up all the events.

Outside of those attending WM, what is everyone's plans for tomorrow? It is looking like I'm going to have around 10 people over for a Wrestlemania party. I'll have my normal group of around 5-6, and then a few new people that I hung out with for the first time last night while watching the DGUSA iPPV. My girlfriend and I will be making a ton of food, and we'll probably end up watching one of the ROH iPPVs before 'Mania actually starts.

G-Fex

Finally got some time to finish the Chikara video The Thirteenth Hat

WOW

Great stuff, I loved the Hallowicked/Peck match, the Ophidian/Herichan and the main event.

Kingston is great on commentary.

Fun stuff all around I love this federation.

Glad you enjoyed it - I loved that Hallowicked/Peck match, Marchie Archie is seriously one of my favourite characters in wrestling right now, he's so damn entertaining. His match with Sara Del Rey at 'A Death Worse than Fate' was excellent, too, and he's really improving a lot in the ring.

G-Fex

Glad you enjoyed it - I loved that Hallowicked/Peck match, Marchie Archie is seriously one of my favourite characters in wrestling right now, he's so damn entertaining. His match with Sara Del Rey at 'A Death Worse than Fate' was excellent, too, and he's really improving a lot in the ring.

Yes Archibald Peck is GOLD. I fucking love him, he was so damn funny.

guess the next one I'll purchase is A Death Worse than Fate

it's a damn shame that harlot Veronica is going to break are poor band leaders heart.

Updated DGUSA card for tonight;

The Dragon Gate Six Man Tag Team Match Tradition Continues!!!
CIMA, Ricochet & Masaaki Mochizki vs. Low Ki, Akira Tozawa, & BxB Hulk with Christina Von Eerie

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
Johnny Gargano vs. Masato Yoshino[/b]

PAC Invitational Aerial Elimination Match
PAC vs. Rich Swann vs. Lince Dorado vs. Samuray Del Sol vs. Pinkie Sanchez vs. Chuck Taylor

No Rules Fight
Sami Callihan vs. Sabu

Grudge Match
AR Fox vs. Arik Cannon

Special Challenge Match
Jon Davis vs. Bobby Fish

Oh my, that PAC invitational looks like it could be a lot of fun.

it's a damn shame that harlot Veronica is going to break are poor band leaders heart.

Seriously. Poor Marchie Archie, seeing his beloved Veronica swayed by the manly muscles of a jock like Mr. Touchdown :(

Kaladin

I guess this means CIMA is good to go for the six man, which is good. It seems like he just tweaked his neck and wanted to be 100% for the main event of the weekend.

Either that or the injury was a work so they could separate him and Ricochet since they're no longer in the same faction.

Either that or the injury was a work so they could separate him and Ricochet since they're no longer in the same faction.

Yeah, in hindsight I'm gonna agree - quite a neat way of splitting CIMA & Ricochet up, and if CIMA's neck was really that badly injured he probably wouldn't have been attacked by Taylor post-match yesterday.

ROH replay is STILL missing the end of Steen/Generico and all of the main event - plus, no reply from GFL or ROH as to what the hell is going on. Not happy.

Aiii

So not worth it
I like how the poster thing for WrestleMania XX has Cena and Taker is the main 2 guys on it with Eddie in the corner.

edit- the picture of Eddie looks like it was taken at the end of the show when he was celebrating with ***** ******

Clearly they can't do a poster with ***** ****** on it.

Hang on, what is this magic? ***** ******

***** ******!!!

DAMNIT WWE!

Yeah, in hindsight I'm gonna agree - quite a neat way of splitting CIMA & Ricochet up, and if CIMA's neck was really that badly injured he probably wouldn't have been attacked by Taylor post-match yesterday.

ROH replay is STILL missing the end of Steen/Generico and all of the main event - plus, no reply from GFL or ROH as to what the hell is going on. Not happy.

ROH just continues to drop the ball on ippv, this if getting redunk. It's a damn shame to because the last two matches last night were awesome.

Well, the replay problem is most definitely on GFL's end and probably has little to do with ROH, but a reply on twitter to at least let fans know they're aware of and working on the problem would be nice.

However, the streaming issues last night they attributed to poor bandwidth at the venue - if you're running an iPPV, surely one of the first requirements is to make sure the building has an internet connection suitable to stream iPPV? Because, really, that's bush-league stuff.

When WWNLive launched, I was sure they'd have a hard time matching GFL's standard - but while it's taken them a year or two, last night's DGUSA iPPV was above the usual ROH iPPV quality on just about every level. Not only was the audio in synch, but sound levels were perfect, and compared to the muddiness of ROH's camera equipment, DGUSA was crystal clear.

Ithil

Hogan WWE Champion in 2002? WTF was WWE thinking? No wonder they went to shit during that time frame. Hogan champion, Austin heel turn. Man those were some bad times for WWE. After WCW died they had no clue what to do with themselves.

He was only champion for a month, he lost it to Taker the next PPV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom