• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

I choose Cloud Top Cruise, and I got sixth, which was a heckofa lot better than I was doing before.

I did get forth on one of the first races, which feels like 1st in my heart.

GGs everyone.

DaBoss

Wario's a lucky douchebag. 3 courses with his name in it (even though 2 of them suck, while Mount Wario is one of the best courses.). And is one of the best characters in the game.

DaBoss

Let's face it, Wario Shitium has to be the most haphazardly designed course in the game.

It's like, "OK guys, we need to put in every mechanic we introduced since MK7. Let's add this tilted Z-shaped platform with anti-gravity. And add some water after these ramps. Now we need a flying section at the end. Perfect. Oh, what's that? Water below the flying section? Brilliant idea."

The rest of the course is appropriately updated for MK8 though it is filled with too many "auto" sections with the ramps and boost pads.

Let's face it, Wario Shitium has to be the most haphazardly designed course in the game.

It's like, "OK guys, we need to put in every mechanic we introduced since MK7. Let's add this tilted Z-shaped platform with anti-gravity. And add some water after these ramps. Now we need a flying section at the end. Perfect. Oh, what's that? Water below the flying section? Brilliant idea."

The rest of the course is appropriately updated for MK8 though it is filled with too many "auto" sections with the ramps and boost pads.
Well yeah, all those mechanics is what makes it awesome dude.

Roo

nofunallowed.jpeg

I personally really like Wario Stadium in MK8, but one of my friends doesn't. His reason is because he isn't very good at the track, lol. It's true, so I don't blame him for disliking it. :p

DaBoss

I'm sure someone will agree with me. ;_;

Though I guess to be fair to the MK8 version of Wario Stadium, the DS version is probably the most boring Wario course in the series. Wario generally has some crazy courses with crazy ramps, so I guess they had to change it significantly to make it fit with Wario's typical courses.

The only part I have difficulty with on that course is probably the last item box section with the ramps and the water where I would get bumped easily and miss the boost pads or miss the item boxes.

Wario's Goldmine on the other hand isn't a bad course, I just don't have much fun racing on it for some reason. Probably one of the dullest courses to choose from Mario Kart Wii.

I think the list of courses I don't like racing on can be just boiled down to:
Rainbow Road 64 (this and Toad's Turnpike have the problem of you are either dominating in first, or you are in the middle of the pack going through hell)
Toad's Turnpike
Wario Stadium
Wario's Goldmine
Excitebike (mostly cause it is pretty boring; pretty much like Baby Park without the chaos of Baby Park and it being too long; cool fan service course though)

And the ones I tolerate are:
Dry Dry Desert (water section just blows)
Moo Moo Meadows (there's some sort of rule where people get crazy items in the first turn and that will decide the race, it may even work in my favor)

So yea, they just didn't make some of the retro courses fun or chose some bad ones for the most part for me.

And something I just noticed. Every retro course they chose to put in the game have made it so nearly all past Mario Kart games have a course to "represent" it. SNES Rainbow Road (SMK, MK:SC, MK7), Yoshi Circuit (MK:DD, MKDS), and Wario's Goldmine (MKWii). MK64 left out.
As it should be since people only liked it for the battle mode and not the racing. :p

Wait, wait, wait a sec DaBoss.

You could race in MK64?

with tracks like Toad's Turdpike or Rainbow Road 64, no wonder people stuck to the battle mode

real talk, MK8 may be the first console MK game I wasn't disappointed by to some moderate degree. 64, Double Dash, Wii...DS and 7 shit on 'em. And MK8 ended up being the prettiest, most polished MK they ever made.

I really like Rainbow Road SNES track. I hate the new Rainbow Road because there are parts where I mostly make a wide drift, though I'm using a bike, and fall off the track.

Azure J

SMH, hatin' on Rainbow Road 64 and Toad's Turnpike (in MK64). I do agree though that 8 is pretty much the single best Mario Kart free currently. I've felt that way for a while now, especially since the game has made it so even as someone who fondly enjoys rounds of MK64 or thinks highly of Super Circuit and DS, I don't think about them as much more than DLC stage fodder now.

Edit: Double Dash was complete ass outside of Baby Park, Wario Colosseum and the double kart idea/mechanics.

Double Dash!! had the best snaking mechanics in the series though, compared to DS's "kill-your-fingers" snaking and Wii's "You're still slower than bikes" snaking.
I really like Rainbow Road SNES track. I hate the new Rainbow Road because there are parts where I mostly make a wide drift, though I'm using a bike, and fall off the track.
What you need to do for those turns is tap B while going "in" and then accelerate out. Karts also have to do that here and there on that course for the fastest lines, though most combos can technically do those turns without braking without falling off.

Double Dash!! had the best snaking mechanics in the series though, compared to DS's "kill-your-fingers" snaking and Wii's "You're still slower than bikes" snaking.

What you need to do for those turns is tap B while going "in" and then accelerate out. Karts also have to do that here and there on that course for the fastest lines, though most combos can technically do those turns without braking without falling off.

Thanks for the tip. I usually make it without falling nor breaking, but I would rather do a sure thing that would help me not fall off the track.

that's another thing, snaking, don't miss any of that shit. But I love the other additions like tricks, or getting rid of item hording, and I think the addition of anti-gravity transitions has actually made the underwater/glider stuff more seamless. The coins, the tricks, the drifts, the items, vehicle transitions; they all seem to flow together now, and it looks and feels great.

not the same without a GAF room.

Joined world wide and kept coming in 1st. Felt wrong.
Like I didn't earn it.

I feel like that too when I raced against randoms. Racing against gaffers and taking 1st place is more of an achievement than getting 1st against randoms since it's more challenging.

Roo

Everyone but one votes for Excitebike Arena..

*wins Moo Moo Meadows*
lol

Btw, I'm doing WW with a fairly competitive group if anyone is interested and wants to join

Prototype

Everyone but one votes for Excitebike Arena..

*wins Moo Moo Meadows*
lol

Btw, I'm doing WW with a fairly competitive group if anyone is interested and wants to join

im attempting to join atm

edit:
but might be leaving to pick up Dragon Age, debating on if I want to face the cold weather.

Top Bottom