• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Roo

I just noticed we're heading back to Community by the end of this week :(
#backtoourmiserableamountofplayers
Oh MK8 DLC.. we hardly knew ya :(

Roo

Don't worry, it will be back in Gaming in May 2015.
..a week before Splatoon releases.
Timing was completely atrocious for this thing.
People were playing Bayonetta two weeks prior to release and Smash and Pokémon killed any potential legs it could have a week after.
Not to mention any high profile release at the time for PS4/XONE.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is it worth playing online if I haven't 3* all the 150cc stuff yet? I feel like if I can't do that, I won't stand a chance online...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to just dive in and play some random matches. I haven't played a Mario Kart game since MK64, so this has been a crazy adjustment. Cornering takes time to get used to. Some tracks feel like you simply cannot drift the turn - having to brake in a kart racer feels weird, but a bit more real. Nothing is more frustrating that taking a corner and falling off the edge because it was too tight to make.

Also, when playing online, I feel like it's 75% racing skill and 25% items. I'm assuming that's normal?

Crazy to think that it's been over 17 years since I've touched a Mario Kart game. Holy shit.

Exentryk

Dales, if I have triple reds behind you while you have shrooms, you don't keep shrooming ahead of me when you get hit.

Decided to just dive in and play some random matches. I haven't played a Mario Kart game since MK64, so this has been a crazy adjustment. Cornering takes time to get used to. Some tracks feel like you simply cannot drift the turn - having to brake in a kart racer feels weird, but a bit more real. Nothing is more frustrating that taking a corner and falling off the edge because it was too tight to make.

Also, when playing online, I feel like it's 75% racing skill and 25% items. I'm assuming that's normal?

Crazy to think that it's been over 17 years since I've touched a Mario Kart game. Holy shit.

I NEVER brake in Mario Kart. You just have to figure out how your chosen kart/bike handles (inward or outward drift) and chose the best angle to make those tight turns. The only time I fall down while drifting are in certain spots in Rainbow Road and when trying to use those fiendish shortcuts that are pretty much designed to make you fail.

And yes, it feels like racing skill plays a big role when playing online.

Top Bottom