• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Well, Baby Park on 200cc is ridiculous. Can't tell if I love it or hate it, but it's definitely ridiculous.

Gonna take a break for now, great playing with you guys! Proud to say I placed higher than last a few times throughout. Might hop back on later if anyone else is around.

The only tracks are Baby Park, Excitebike, and Big Blue. Where did you get the idea there were 48 tracks? There are only 3!

You say this to be funny but...

I mean even when we try to pick something else the game is like "nope, you'll play Baby Park again and like it. Maybe you'll stop begging for retro tracks now!!! >:D"

Roo

I mean even when we try to pick something else the game is like "nope, you'll play Baby Park again and like it. Maybe you'll stop begging for retro tracks now!!! >:D"

Besides the obvious bias the game has over certain tracks, people voting for the same courses over and over doesn't help.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

I think DLC tracks show up at a higher frequency than non-DLC tracks in rooms with them enabled.

It wasn't as noticeable when there were only 8 of them, but with 16 it seems like we hardly ever play on non-DLC tracks anymore.

Yeah, there might as well only be those tracks in the game at times lol

It's not like Splatoon, either, where even on the same map each battle plays out vastly differently. On Baby Park and Excitebike, all that really varies from race to race is the combination of items that owns you.

Roo

Or maybe they're trying to get us mentally prepared for Splatoon -_-

I still don't understand the bitching about the game
Will it ship with only those two maps for online or what?
I heard there will be more post-launch but I don't know if they mean as a whole or online.
Everyting surrounding that game is new to me. I actually feel a little overwhelmed >.>

Game chooses between 2 maps for 4-hour periods. For Turf War anyways. This is allegedly so you can choose a set-up that is well-suited for those maps instead of the Splatoon equivalent of "Shit I'm a heavyweight on Baby Park" being a thing.

Game ships with 5 maps and then adds, for free, at least 8-ish maps throughout the summer, so a new map every week or two. Along with new modes and gear and shit.

It's like some weird Nintendo version of early access.

I still don't understand the bitching about the game
Will it ship with only those two maps for online or what?
I heard there will be more post-launch but I don't know if they mean as a whole or online.
Everyting surrounding that game is new to me. I actually feel a little overwhelmed >.>

There are supposed to be 5 maps available at launch (at least for now) which seems... paltry. I'm hoping that with the complaints they'll just go ahead and release everything at once instead of the staggered approach they have scheduled.

The testfire really sold me on the game but I'm afraid that the online is going to die fast unless they dump tons of maps/content on it too keep people interested.

Greg, do the math bruh. We know there will be at least 8 new maps, right? And in this sort of context, summer means "through August". So that's what, roughly 12 weeks max?

I imagine something like:

Week 1: New Map
Week 2: New Map
Week 3: Tower Control
Week 4: New Map
Week 5: New Map
Week 6: Rainmaker
Week 7: New Map
Week 8: New Map
Week 9: New Map
Week 10: "BIG UPDATE EVENT"
Week 11: New Map

EDIT: And that's without the gear updates.

DaBoss

They're actually holding back 3 maps that should actually be done at launch because they are more "technically advanced" or some bullshit. Most likely a reason they just said so they can first use on disc content for updates initially and then add new content while making it seem like it has been gradually made and released.

Roo

Game chooses between 2 maps for 4-hour periods. For Turf War anyways. This is allegedly so you can choose a set-up that is well-suited for those maps instead of the Splatoon equivalent of "Shit I'm a heavyweight on Baby Park" being a thing.

Game ships with 5 maps and then adds, for free, at least 8-ish maps throughout the summer, so a new map every week or two. Along with new modes and gear and shit.

It's like some weird Nintendo version of early access.

There are supposed to be 5 maps available at launch (at least for now) which seems... paltry. I'm hoping that with the complaints they'll just go ahead and release everything at once instead of the staggered approach they have scheduled.

The testfire really sold me on the game but I'm afraid that the online is going to die fast unless they dump tons of maps/content on it too keep people interested.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, the amount of maps is kind of disappointing. Comparing it with Smash and Mario Kart 8 I was expecting around 20 or so maps (not even counting DLC ones)

edit: I found this wikia page
http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Splatoon_Wiki:Main_Menu

not sure if it has all the info but I assume is serviceable enough to get me started.
Will read later.

Panic, I can't count okay?
They're actually holding back 3 maps that should actually be done at launch because they are more "technically advanced" or some bullshit. Most likely a reason they just said so they can first use on disc content for updates initially and then add new content while making it seem like it has been gradually made and released.
The final game is roughly 2 gigabytes. The demo was like what, a bit under 0.6 gigabytes? And the only big things were... the two maps.

It doesn't seem like there's the space to put 3 extra maps on the disc. EDIT: Though of course the first few maps are certainly in the final tweaking stages, yeah.

Greg, do the math bruh. We know there will be at least 8 new maps, right? And in this sort of context, summer means "through August". So that's what, roughly 12 weeks max?

I imagine something like:

Week 1: New Map
Week 2: New Map
Week 3: Tower Control
Week 4: New Map
Week 5: New Map
Week 6: Rainmaker
Week 7: New Map
Week 8: New Map
Week 9: New Map
Week 10: "BIG UPDATE EVENT"
Week 11: New Map

EDIT: And that's without the gear updates.

When the starting point is five then one new map a week isn't exactly awe inspiring. I'll hold back judgment until the full game is out but it really feels like it could be a tough game to keep coming back to long term.

Although I just checked and Kid Icarus: Uprising had twelve maps (11 if you don't count large/small arena as separate) and I never got bored with that game's multiplayer so maybe things will be OK once all the maps are out.

When the starting point is five then one new map a week isn't exactly awe inspiring. I'll hold back judgment until the full game is out but it really feels like it could be a tough game to keep coming back to long term.

Although I just checked and Kid Icarus: Uprising had twelve maps (11 if you don't count large/small arena as separate) and I never got bored with that game's multiplayer so maybe things will be OK once all the maps are out.
13, 14 maps or so is perfectly in line with other games in the genre for what you get at retail price, actually. As long as the maps are good then the replay value should be fine.

More maps at launch would have been nice, though.

Top Bottom