• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Later Merrick. See you tomorrow night, if you're around.

EDIT - Had that in the bag, and then I drive off the track. GGs.
See you tomorrow Justice.

Exentryk

When are the most people online in the GAF lobby? Whenever I check there's nobody there...

Usually night time for US is when most people are around. There are some EU people, but you just have to post in this thread and ask if anyone is around first. We usually play in the Frantic lobby.

I'm looking at these gamecube controllers, and it makes so sad that they won't support anything but Super Smash for WiiU.

40fotosde_1310224b.jpg

Would it be so hard to patch in compatibility with Mario Kart?

Roo

I'm looking at these gamecube controllers, and it makes so sad that they won't support anything but Super Smash for WiiU.

Would it be so hard to patch in compatibility with Mario Kart?

I'm probably wrong but didn't Nintendo say they were "considering" to patch in GameCube Controller compatibility to a selected group of games?

I'm looking for some tips if someone would like to help me out.

So I consider myself pretty good at this game. I've 3 starred all of 150cc and will eventually do Mirror once I have enough patience.

I'm a dad with other hobbies so I really only get to play two hours a week if that. Every time I've hopped online I, for the most part, come in first place. However last night I got destroyed by some kid. I couldn't wrap my head around how he consistently placed first by a large margin. My question is: how can I improve?

One of the things I notice in this game is the "get ahead of the pack" phenomenon. The person that can successfully pull ahead of the rest of the player becomes immune to all but Blue Shells and can easily maintain 10 coins. Meanwhile the mob canabalises itself only further giving that lone ranger their lead. However despite my best efforts and racing dang well perfect, he consistently could break away from the mobs chaos and I could not. The fact that he never got stuck in the mob, and had a 20+k score leads me to believe he's doing something right that I'm not.

As far as my own racing goes I play as Peach with the wire frame body, neon wheels and peach parasol. Chosen for max acceleration as I figure getting back up and running after the inevitable shell hit is more important than top speed. I corner tight and power slide at every single opportunity I can. I can upload a video of how I race on any course if it helps. Any tips?

Roo

I'm looking for some tips if someone would like to help me out.

So I consider myself pretty good at this game. I've 3 starred all of 150cc and will eventually do Mirror once I have enough patience.

I'm a dad with other hobbies so I really only get to play two hours a week if that. Every time I've hopped online I, for the most part, come in first place. However last night I got destroyed by some kid. I couldn't wrap my head around how he consistently placed first by a large margin. My question is: how can I improve?

One of the things I notice in this game is the "get ahead of the pack" phenomenon. The person that can successfully pull ahead of the rest of the player becomes immune to all but Blue Shells and can easily maintain 10 coins. Meanwhile the mob canabalises itself only further giving that lone ranger their lead. However despite my best efforts and racing dang well perfect, he consistently could break away from the mobs chaos and I could not. The fact that he never got stuck in the mob, and had a 20+k score leads me to believe he's doing something right that I'm not.

As far as my own racing goes I play as Peach with the wire frame body, neon wheels and peach parasol. Chosen for max acceleration as I figure getting back up and running after the inevitable shell hit is more important than top speed. I corner tight and power slide at every single opportunity I can. I can upload a video of how I race on any course if it helps. Any tips?

1. Firehop every time you can. Right after every boost (mushroom/boost pad/piranha plant/draft) Hop like crazy right and left. It'll "extend" your boost.
There are a few "how to" videos in Youtube.
2. Super heavy characters are the best for WW races (Bowser, Morton and Wario) so think about choosing one of them if you want to have a higher chance of success.
3. Even tho you said you are trying to find a middle ground between accel and speed, I strongly suggest you to go all the way to speed. The first lap is usually a bloodbath so you want to be as far as you can of that mess.
4. Time trials definitely can help you to practice your strategy. Study the tracks, take turns as sharp as you can. Practice, practice, practice.

That's all I got lol

ffdgh

Hmm...there could be a few reasons for this.

They could have been using a heavy weight.(what character and combo?)
They could have been fire hopping alot.
Do you know how to fire hop?
Peach's stats sucks against good heavy weight players...or heck anyone heavier than her because lol balance. :'(

Roo

I was just watching Dragon Driftway again and I noticed almost all the track is fenced which mean it's going to be a total nightmare with green shells :O
Tight turns+Narrow track+ fenced = Mario Kart hell :p

ffdgh

I was just watching Dragon Driftway again and I noticed almost all the track is fenced which mean it's going to be a total nightmare with green shells :O
Tight turns+Narrow track+ fenced = Mario Kart hell :p

All it would take is one wrong bomb throw to start a chain reaction of hell...God fire flowers will be evil in that course too.

Gattuso

I can just see a return of those warping green shells coming from who knows where and hitting me much more often in that along with more self inflicted hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom