• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

But I want to bump into people from behind and watch them fall off as they try to make a turn. Simple joy.

There+you+go+now+you+have+it+for+the+future+_9ad29ca4352b14ecfe58c486dcd8ca59.jpg

ffdgh

Good news on how the DLC will work online!

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/06/heres-how-mario-kart-8s-downloadable-content-works-online/

When you start an online match of Mario Kart 8, you get an option to either go play with the original 32 courses or with all 40 courses (the original 32 plus the eight DLC tracks). Likewise, when you create a tournament, you can select 32 or 40 courses, but you can also select to only play the DLC levels.

Of course, if you make a 40 course tournament, everyone that wants to join will need the DLC.

But you will never come across a situation where someone will get kicked out of a lobby because they don’t have the new content. People with the DLC will also never have any disruption to their experience because other people didn’t get the new courses.

Exentryk

We're getting 8 characters right? And there are 7 weight classes? Perhaps they'll try to give every weight class something? If so, Link might be cruiser as Dry Bowser would likely be super heavy.

Roo

Excellent news
I'm glad the DLC tourney requires to have the pack downloaded in order to play.
Question tho.. Should we get rid of the other two tournaments? Frantic and Normal?
Or should we keep them for those not interested in the DLC but want to jump in again?

So far it would look like this:
- Normal Racing
- Frantic
- DLC Only (suggested by Exentryk) frantic?
- 40 tracks --frantic?

We're getting 8 characters right? And there are 7 weight classes? Perhaps they'll try to give every weight class something? If so, Link might be cruiser as Dry Bowser would likely be super heavy.
Actually, we're getting 6 characters

Link
Tanooki Mario
Cat Peach
Dry Bowser
Villager
Isabelle

MouldyK

So there is 2 selections now:

- 32 Tracks.
- 40 Tracks.

Come May though, what will it be?

- 32 Tracks.
- 40 Tracks (DLC 1).
- 40 Tracks (DLC 2).
- 48 Tracks (DLC 1+2).

Might be hard to do.

Excellent news
I'm glad the DLC tourney requires to have the pack downloaded in order to play.
Question tho.. Should we get rid of the other two tournaments? Frantic and Normal?
Or should we keep them for those not interested in the DLC but want to jump in again?

- Normal Racing
- Frantic
- 40 tracks --frantic?
I think we should ditch the Normal one. Nobody plays it. I guess keep Frantic in case people w/o DLC want to play, though I think it's likely that most people w/o DLC will buy it quickly to play with as many peeps as possible. So keep it more for "PR" than because people will actually play it.

For DLC I think we should go with DLC Only to start off with, but then we ditch it and switch to 40 Tracks. I don't want both of those going on at the same time, though. One DLC tourney at a time to keep GAF together is desirable to me. And I'm going to be insane and propose that you only make Frantic tourneys because that's all we play anyways.

Exentryk

- Normal Racing
- Frantic
- 40 tracks --frantic?

Yeah, I think I'm happy with this. Having these 4 will cover everything and give options to people to play what they want. We could remove a couple from there later once things have settled down if need be. And yeah, my vote is for frantic mode for the last two :p

Roo

I still think we should go directly to the 40 tracks tourney.
I mean, in that one the DLC tracks are mandatory as well.
Plus, GAF rooms usually go for 2-3 hours and racing the same 8 tracks over and over..
they would get boring pretty fast.

Roo

Roo are you buying the DLC

And more people need to choose random select probably

Yes I am.
I already purchased both packs.
Wouldn't the random thing select one of the 8 DLC tracks anyway? after all, it's DLC only.
Unless I read that part totally wrong lol

Exentryk

Roo, I see your point. It would probably work for the first hour or so, but after that it could get repetitive. So, we could go all 40 tourney if that works best. Not fussed.

Also, I can play in around 2.5 hours if people are around.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Plus, GAF rooms usually go for 2-3 hours and racing the same 8 tracks over and over..
I agree. I'd like to play on the DLC tracks, of course, but the novelty would wear off real quick if we just kept playing those same 8 tracks over and over.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Oh, yeah. If we do a 40-track tournament, the probability of at least one DLC course showing up in a given vote is just slightly under 50%:

(32/40) * (31/39) * (30/38) = 50.202% = the probability of no DLC courses showing up

100% - 50.202% = 49.798% = the probability of at least one DLC course showing up

And if one does show up, it's pretty much a guarantee that just about everyone will vote for it. So even if we do a 40-track tournament, we shouldn't have much of a problem playing on the DLC courses often.

(Of course, this is assuming that every track has an equal chance of being selected.)

Yeah, that's why I initially proposed to do DLC-only just for one night just to learn the tracks. After the first day it would be pretty boring.

But during the initial evening of DLC I really do wanna focus on the new tracks so I can learn them ASAP.

Oh, yeah. If we do a 40-track tournament, the probability of at least one DLC course showing up in a given vote is just slightly under 50%:

(32/40) * (31/39) * (30/38) = 50.202% = the probability of no DLC courses showing up

100% - 50.202% = 49.798% = the probability of at least one DLC course showing up

And if one does show up, it's pretty much a guarantee that just about everyone will vote for it. So even if we do a 40-track tournament, we shouldn't have much of a problem playing on the DLC courses often.

(Of course, this is assuming that every track has an equal chance of being selected.)
Wait, didn't consider that.

40-tracks is fine then as long as nobody's a douche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom