• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart | Community Thread | *Insert Profanities Here*

Enforced

Fuck this.
dIoUy.gif

Eila

Well I've never seen this thread. I might be up for some Mayro Kart if you play tomorrow. I was playing smash tourney and was also kicked.

Roo

So how do you guys take the sides of the Master Sword section in Hyrule Circuit?

Everytime I release the mini turbo I always hit the wall next to the exit which kept sending me to the opposite wall thanks to the pinball physics.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
So how do you guys take the sides of the Master Sword section in Hyrule Circuit?

Everytime I release the mini turbo I always hit the wall next to the exit which kept sending me to the opposite wall thanks to the pinball physics.

This is generally how I try to take it:

hyrule24qq95.gif

I usually try to avoid getting close to the inner wall while I'm on the side path. And I usually don't turn sharply enough to get a Mini-Turbo there.

I always take the left path, but I've seen Exentryk take the right one. I have no idea if that's faster or not.

Exentryk

I used to take the left path as well, but in 200cc, I have to brake a little too much to be able to take the left path. Right path lets me release the brakes earlier. It probably doesn't make too much of a difference either way tho.

Roo

This is generally how I try to take it:

hyrule24qq95.gif

I usually try to avoid getting close to the inner wall while I'm on the side path. And I usually don't turn sharply enough to get a Mini-Turbo there.

I always take the left path, but I've seen Exentryk take the right one. I have no idea if that's faster or not.

Thanks.
Actually, I've tried to don't turn sharply (so I don't get the red mini turbo) but it never works for me, I always get it. Guess I drift way too soon?

I also noticed you release your boost right before the last spin booster whereas I do so when I'm already taking the turn so that might be the problem.

I'll do some tests later today and will let you know how it goes.

I have to say it tho, I'm really enjoying this. I don't know why I gave up so easily before.
As an outside drift user I can safely say bikes do brake a lot less than karts (outside of tracks like NBC, DD and YC)

I obviously still have some messy lines here and there in every track but it's nothing some hard practice won't fix.

I pretty much do what Justice does because everything else results in me crashing and burning.

Also glad to see that Roo has joined the "Bikes are cool!" club :3

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I used to take the left path as well, but in 200cc, I have to brake a little too much to be able to take the left path. Right path lets me release the brakes earlier. It probably doesn't make too much of a difference either way tho.

I guess I should try that path out and see how it goes. Hard to test offline though... in the absence of Time Trials I generally like using you to test my lines. lol

Thanks.
Actually, I've tried to don't turn sharply (so I don't get the red mini turbo) but it never works for me, I always get it. Guess I drift way too soon?

I also noticed you release your boost right before the last spin booster whereas I do so when I'm already taking the turn so that might be the problem.

I'll do some tests later today and will let you know how it goes.

I have to say it tho, I'm really enjoying this. I don't know why I gave up so easily before.
As an outside drift user I can safely say bikes do brake a lot less than karts (outside of tracks like NBC, DD and YC)

I obviously still have some messy lines here and there in every track but it's nothing some hard practice won't fix.

Oh, I think I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about getting a mini-turbo on the turn during the split. No, I always get a red on the turn before the split. I guess I just release it earlier than you do, as you said.

For the turn before the split, there's no way to take the turn without braking if you're using inside drift. I try to stay around where the left side of the carpet is on that turn.

If you release your MT too late you go WHEEEEEEEEEEE throughout the sidepath and that never ends well.

Also if I see the middle path open I just go for it because it's so effortless and easy.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
If you release your MT too late you go WHEEEEEEEEEEE throughout the sidepath and that never ends well.

Also if I see the middle path open I just go for it because it's so effortless and easy.

Well, yeah, the middle path is the fastest by far if it's already open. But I don't go out of my way to open it, of course.

Roo

I guess I should try that path out and see how it goes. Hard to test offline though... in the absence of Time Trials I generally like using you to test my lines. lol

Oh, I think I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about getting a mini-turbo on the turn during the split. No, I always get a red on the turn before the split. I guess I just release it earlier than you do, as you said.

For the turn before the split, there's no way to take the turn without braking if you're using inside drift. I try to stay around where the left side of the carpet is on that turn.
Oh I see. So I definitely need to brake there.
I never did it because I thought the bike would turn easily due to its handling but I kept messing things up because of my shitty lines.

Plus I watched one of your videos a few days ago and I didn't hear the brakes so I thought they were not neccesary.
Will consider that next time.

Yeah, that's my problem. I release it too late and don't brake at all lol

I also forgot to mention, the small shortcut before the second section in Mount Wario is a total bitch >.>

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Oh I see. So I definitely need to brake there.
I never did it because I thought the bike would turn easily due to its handling but I kept messing things up because of my shitty lines.

On further testing it actually is possible to take it without braking if you're using a lighter character. If I take it a certain way I can take it without braking as Mario, but not as Link or Bowser.

As heavier characters you only have to brake a little bit, but you do have to brake. If I was using a heavy, it's possible I braked right after hitting one of the crystal switches--it's hard to hear then.

On further testing it actually is possible to take it without braking if you're using a lighter character. If I take it a certain way I can take it without braking as Mario, but not as Link or Bowser.

As heavier characters you only have to brake a little bit, but you do have to brake. If I was using a heavy, it's possible I braked right after hitting one of the crystal switches--it's hard to hear then.
For reference, my kart strat for that turn involves effortlessly hugging the wall with a few taps of the B button.

That's probably why this course only comes up when I'm using a bike.

EDIT: Also Roo, go try Koopa or Shy Guy/Pipe Frame/Slims or Leafs when testing in Single Player VS. You should be able to navigate courses faster than with Luigi once you get used to how little you have to brake. In 200cc the Speed stat is about as meaningful as the points in Whose Line is it Anyway?

Roo

It was Bowser iirc.
And yeah, I always use either Luigi or Dry Bowser so braking is mandatory for the latter.
I guess I can get away with a clean line just by tapping the brake button AND releasing the mini-turbo earlier. It's just a matter of practice, really. I keep using my outside drift lines in some tracks for some reason lol

edit: scary, it's like Nathan is reading my mind e_e

At least you don't have to relearn all of Hyrule Circuit on a bike compared to kart.

Unlike Rainbow Road, which is just a giant "Fuck You" to bike users.

Roo

For reference, my kart strat for that turn involves effortlessly hugging the wall with a few taps of the B button.

That's probably why this course only comes up when I'm using a bike.

EDIT: Also Roo, go try Koopa or Shy Guy/Pipe Frame/Slims or Leafs when testing in Single Player VS. You should be able to navigate courses faster than with Luigi once you get used to how little you have to brake. In 200cc the Speed stat is about as meaningful as the points in Whose Line is it Anyway?

Haven't touched a lightweight in ages lol.
Will give it a try as well.
At least you don't have to relearn all of Hyrule Circuit on a bike compared to kart.

Unlike Rainbow Road, which is just a giant "Fuck You" to bike users.

The only part that I think it's too much for bikes is the "8" turn before the first gliding section.
The rest feels easy to me.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
It was Bowser iirc.
And yeah, I always use either Luigi or Dry Bowser so braking is mandatory for the latter.
I guess I can get away with a clean line just by tapping the brake button AND releasing the mini-turbo earlier. It's just a matter of practice, really. I keep using my outside drift lines in some tracks for some reason lol

edit: scary, it's like Nathan is reading my mind e_e

I just watched a few of the Hyrule Circuit races on my videos, and it looks to me like I always brake somewhere on the turn, usually right as the turn starts.

That said, after testing out different ways to take that turn I think I may have found a better way to take it. I'll try it out next time we play and see how it works...

Rainbow Road is easy when there aren't too many people around you and not too much shit on the track.

Bananas everywhere and many people make the track hell, however. Spinboosting + Bike = Please shoot me.

Roo

I just watched a few of the Hyrule Circuit races on my videos, and it looks to me like I always brake somewhere on the turn, usually right as the turn starts.

That said, after testing out different ways to take that turn I think I may have found a better way to take it. I'll try it out next time we play and see how it works...
Hmm.. Guess I was not paying attention then.
I was too focused on your lines lol

Enforced

Guys what are you doing? Why are you helping roo? It's going to be worse for us. You're going to regret helping him. D:

Top Bottom