• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis gameplay footage from IGN

Totakeke

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/478/478864/vids_1.html

So, although the videos aren't perfect, there are some interesting things to see. Take note of how the Kremlins actually latch on to Mario in the DK level, creating a chain of them that drag behind him, presumably slowing him down.

Mario Tennis is set to hit U.S. store shelves sometime in 2005, officially, but retailers are suggesting it may be bumped up to a November release. With its impending Japanese October release, that doesn't seem too impossible at this point.

Memles

You know, it's quite nice. The game looks like a lot of fun.

But those special moves are far too frequent and take away from the game more than I had imagined.

Not going to keep me away, but disappointing to see how much they'll slow down gameplay.

Memles

Did everyone miss these videos or something? I want to see what the rest of you think about the special moves.

Here's hoping for "Remove Animations" option.

Have to agree with you Memles. Those animations interrupt gameplay terribly and will get old real fast. I don't really know what they were thinking. Pausing in the middle of an action packed rally to watch DK jump into a barrell?! By the time the animation passes you'll have forgotten where the ball was.

I doubt I'll ever use these special moves. I can only pray that they can be knocked off when going through the SP game. The play besides that looks very good, but I'd like to see a video of a normal court. Little doubts have crept into my mind for the first time. Fingers crossed.

Deg

Banned
Memles said:
You know, it's quite nice. The game looks like a lot of fun.

But those special moves are far too frequent and take away from the game more than I had imagined.

Not going to keep me away, but disappointing to see how much they'll slow down gameplay.

Or that these moves make things more interesting and make it more frantic...

Memles

Deg said:
Or that these moves make things more interesting and make it more frantic...

In Advance Wars, yes. I can't play with the animations turned off in the game, because I feel like everything just kind of goes by without any sort of levity.

Here, it's tennis. It's about fast-paced multiplayer action. To have it cut to those shots is unncessary and rather terrible, in my view. I know it would seem obvious to have the option, but you never know. They could either remove the special moves entirely (Which I honestly wouldn't mind) or remove the animations (Same thing, not really against the moves only their intrusive quality). But, for me, if you like playing as the same guy all the time, I'd attack someone by the end of that thing. Seriously, in what are like 30 second videos it's already easy to tire of them.

Memles

Deg said:
I assumed you meant you realistic tennis :p

As I re-read what I had said, I can see how you could so do. No, I know this won't be a tennis simulation, and am not after that. Simply put...Camelot needs to think about this one, for sure. Still not convinced of its worth as a whole, but as long as the animations are not mandatory, I'm fine.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Two things I noticed:

1. The gameplay pauses for the animations and doesn't start again until the all is hit. So trying to find the ball doesn't seem to be a problem.

2. The people playing suck. It looks like they're just using the special moves for the sake of using them. They don't seem to be used effectively. In the video, its annoying, but under normal playing conditions, it probably is better.

I hope the animation break can be removed in the options.

Memles

JJConrad said:
2. The people playing suck. It looks like they're just using the special moves for the sake of using them. They don't seem to be used effectively. In the video, its annoying, but under normal playing conditions, it probably is better.

I hope the animation break can be removed in the options.

According to IGN's impressions, it builds up over time (Special moves) and then you can use them only when necessary. However, of course, the problem at this moment is that it seems like they're using them every three seconds. And yes, they do suck, which is kind of sad.

Top Bottom