• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis IGN Review

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Before I look at it, I predict they're going to complain about the lack of online. :D

Edit: HOLY SHIT I WAS WRONG. O_O

.... The music is lacking? Did they put different music on the Mario Sports CD? Because the Mario Tennis tracks on the CD are awesome. Ah well, different strokes.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
OMG WTF WHY NOT A 10! IT IS TEH MARIO GAME! FUC YOU IGNZ!!!!!!!!!!!1111twotwosix

Speevy

Banned
I'm not seeing the graphical problems they're talking about, especially given that Top Spin looks just as blurry in backgrounds.

bitwise

Banned
Speevy said:
I'm not seeing the graphical problems they're talking about, especially given that Top Spin looks just as blurry in backgrounds.

heh. i knew you were going to comment on that.

top spin > mario tennis.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Seriously. From what I've heard so far, the music tops that of even Mario Golf, and that was damn impressive!

Speevy

Banned
bitwise said:
heh. i knew you were going to comment on that.

top spin > mario tennis.

I have Top Spin, and while I really like that game, its difficulty is seriously unbalanced and its single player mode is downright tedious. The online portion (which I've never played) is really where Top Spin is at. Otherwise, Mario Tennis > Top Spin.

bitwise

Banned
Speevy said:
I have Top Spin, and while I really like that game, its difficulty is seriously unbalanced and its single player mode is downright tedious. The online portion (which I've never played) is really where Top Spin is at. Otherwise, Mario Tennis > Top Spin.

for you maybe

"The control configuration is deceptively simplistic. The analog stick effortlessly moves the characters around the courts. A button enables topspin shots and B button slice shots. It's possible to play and win matches without ever touching upon anything else, which means that younger gamers will definitely be able to get some enjoyment out of the title."

snapty00

Banned
Mejilan said:
Seriously. From what I've heard so far, the music tops that of even Mario Golf, and that was damn impressive!
You really liked the music in Mario Golf? Toadstool Tour? For GameCube? It sounded like elevator music to me.

SantaC

snapty00 said:
You really liked the music in Mario Golf? Toadstool Tour? For GameCube? It sounded like elevator music to me.

You want to listen to techno music while playing a golf game? :p

Speevy

Banned
bitwise said:
for you maybe

"The control configuration is deceptively simplistic. The analog stick effortlessly moves the characters around the courts. A button enables topspin shots and B button slice shots. It's possible to play and win matches without ever touching upon anything else, which means that younger gamers will definitely be able to get some enjoyment out of the title."

What does that have to do with anything?

There are dozens of matches to be had in which the computer scores NOTHING on you, then two or three toward the end that have you outmatched. That's not balance, and has nothing to do with the controls.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You can't beat the music in Neo Turf Masters, which is still the best golf game ever! :)

bitwise

Banned
Speevy said:
What does that have to do with anything?

There are dozens of matches to be had in which the computer scores NOTHING on you, then two or three toward the end that have you outmatched. That's not balance, and has nothing to do with the controls.

"ts difficulty is seriously unbalanced and its single player mode is downright tedious."

hello, the same applies to mario tennis. are you dense?

Kon Tiki

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Before I look at it, I predict they're going to complain about the lack of online. :D

They should complain about the lack of human doubles in tournaments.

*Has not read the review yet*

Speevy

Banned
bitwise said:
"ts difficulty is seriously unbalanced and its single player mode is downright tedious."

hello, the same applies to mario tennis. are you dense?

I haven't played the Mario Tennis single player mode (only in demo form have I played the game) and chances are, neither have you.

Are you saying that Mario Tennis Gamecube goes through dozens of no-name, no difficulty opponents in tournaments you can't quit then puts you in one or two thumb-blisteringly hard matches every once in a while?

Beating 95% of computer Top Spin opponents involves aiming the ball from one extreme end of the court to the other. In addition, if you try to make it interesting by letting the computer get a few in, the computer will inevitably try a power shot and miss.

Deg

Banned
9.0 Presentation
From the gorgeous FMV intro and slick menus to the unlockable characters and courts, the presentation is excellent.

8.0 Graphics
Pretty, but not drop-dead gorgeous. The graphics are clean, colorful and fast. While some of the backgrounds suffer, the models are beautiful, particle effects insane, and it runs at 60 frames.

7.0 Sound
Music is lacking. But the character noises and one-liners are as funny as ever. Runs in Dolby Pro Logic II, too.

9.0 Gameplay
Still fun. Still addictive. Still one of the best tennis games on the market. But the additional power shots and Gimmick Courts are a mixed bag.

10.0 Lasting Appeal
You can spend months with the multiplayer mode alone. The added Special Games are not a necessity, but they don't hurt, either.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mario Power Tennis is 60fps? Doesn't Top Spin go at 30fps? Smoother experience with Mario Power Tennis right there, then. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
snapty00 said:

Not Sakuraba's best, but much better than I expected it to be. It was almost Golden Sun-like, at times (a huge plus, imho), and the ring mode music just kicks the shit out of almost anything.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hmmm... gonna repeat myself here :

lack of multiplayer options , tournament options , etc really sucks.

the game itself it tight, but the additions they have made are either novelty (the gimmick courts are interesting once or twice, but that's it) or just plain sucky (the special shots).

Given it's 4 years or so since the N64 version, i would have just liked them to have given us options that most other tennis games seem to include (tournaments with more than one human player in them, doubles tournaments with two human players).

and having to go all the way through menu options to reset up games is plain user unfriendly and substandard in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong, switch off the super shots and kick back with 4 friends and it's great fun - but it's more like a shiny remake of the N64 version rather than a radically exciting follow up.

Disappointing, yet still insanely fun in the base 4 player mode.
Guess we'll have to stick to drawing names out of hats and drawing out our own comps.

Grubdog

Banned
10.0 Lasting Appeal
You can spend months with the multiplayer mode alone. The added Special Games are not a necessity, but they don't hurt, either.
oooh yeah. Mario Tennis 64 looks like it's about to be replaced as best mulitplayer game ever. :)

Glad to hear you can turn off the super shots, they look annoying from the vids i've seen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So... it's Mario Tennis 64 + graphical gloss + gimmicks

Well, I have no interest in the gimmicks and I already own Mario Tennis 64 and my friends are all used to it and love it, so I guess I can keep my $50.

SantaCruZer said:
You want to listen to techno music while playing a golf game? :p
I listen to Richie Hawtin and Jazzanova when I play Links, both at low volume with the ambient turned to max (and announcer/crowd at off). Bliss.

Alcibiades

I've had no interest in this all year, but I think I'll get it if it means I can play it in short bursts with some buddies...

right now, my only 2 priorities are re-doing Metroid Prime 100% and doing Echoes once it comes out...

ElyrionX

Will I like it if I don't intend to play multiplayer? What I mean is that I would probably be playing single player most of the time. How strong is it in the single player department?

Top Spin remains one of my favourite Xdude games, BTW....

Speevy

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Will I like it if I don't intend to play multiplayer? What I mean is that I would probably be playing single player most of the time. How strong is it in the single player department?

Top Spin remains one of my favourite Xdude games, BTW....

Well if you like Top Spin's single player mode (which is basically just a skill unlocker), I can't imagine you having a problem with Mario Tennis. It sounds like the game features your basic, Mario Kart/Punch Out-esque tournament system.

puck1337

Whaaaat? I thought this was a Halo 2 thread.

So yeah. The game looks fun, but I doubt that I'll buy it. I think that I'm burning out on the Nintendo mascot party games.

Mashing

It's ironic really.. Nintendo probalby has more mutliplayer focused titles than Sony or Microsoft yet they are the only ones without online games...

Top Bottom