• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/26/hasbro-reveals-new-spider-man-homecoming-toys

New Spider-Man: Homecoming toys:

spider-man-homecoming-6-inch-figure-assortment-spider-man-1485429661883_1280w.jpg

This is what happens when you let Tony Stark build your suit.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Doctor Strange was a bit shit really, wasn't it?

I was struggling to recall a lot of what really happened in that film today. The moment I left the cinema, that movie seems to have pretty mich left my brain.

Dr Strange wasn't amazing, but I thought it was pretty good / enjoyable. The effects kind of outshine everything else about the movie though in both a good and bad way. It was kind of mindblowing in 3D.

I was struggling to recall a lot of what really happened in that film today. The moment I left the cinema, that movie seems to have pretty mich left my brain.
You might have been hit on the head after you left.

It's alright. Maybe not 93% alright, but it's a nice visually-trippy change of pace.

BLACKLAC

Nah, It's probably #6 in the MCU for me. Cinematography and Music were both A+ while the effects throughout were some of the best I've seen in film and easily the best in the genre, fight scenes and choreography also get high marks (very Shaw Brothers influenced). Great performances, likeable characters, a clever resolution in the 3rd act, 2nd act deals with space 3rd act deals with time.
And the Ancient One's death scene is one of my favorite scenes in the MCU.

All of that does a lot to lift a fairly standard origin story, though I do love some of the decisions in that story. The pace may be a bit too quick; would have liked for Strange to arrive at the party he was going to and crash on his way from it; Mads could have used 5-10 more minutes of screen time (my main complaint of Marvel villains).

Pachimari

Yeah I agree. Doctor Strange was very forgettable and left a lot to be desired. I was actually quite disappointed when leaving the cinema, but I'm looking forward to rewatching it at home.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All right. But TBF the thread title reads.... 'Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)'

This has nothing to do with the "spoiler" in question, but I'd really like this clarified in the OP to allow open spoilers for already-released media, but NOT for media still in production. Use spoiler tags for those. I recall someone in the past fighting tooth and nail against that, but it seems wholly unreasonable for the only general MCU thread to be peopled exclusively by individuals who don't care about spoilers for films that haven't been released.

Things like "the Hulk is in Thor 3" wouldn't need tags, but key plot points and things found via leaks? A little common courtesy seems entirely reasonable.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This has nothing to do with the "spoiler" in question, but I'd really like this clarified in the OP to allow open spoilers for already-released media, but NOT for media still in production. Use spoiler tags for those. I recall someone in the past fighting tooth and nail against that, but it seems wholly unreasonable for the only general MCU thread to be peopled exclusively by individuals who don't care about spoilers for films that haven't been released.

Things like "the Hulk is in Thor 3" wouldn't need tags, but key plot points and things found via leaks? A little common courtesy seems entirely reasonable.

The problem with that is that peoples definitions what actually constitutes as as spoiler can be be wildly different. See also Thanos.

jph139

Yeah, I wasn't really feeling Doctor Strange at all. I loved the first third - Strange being an absolute cunt to everyone was immensely entertaining - but the cliche mysticism and paint-by-numbers plot after that really turned me off. Visuals were definitely nice but they lost their luster by the end.

I guess I'm just burned out on the "Establish Character -> Learn to Fly -> Final Showdown" plot that origin stories follow. Didn't care for Ant-Man either. Luckily there don't seem to be any more in the pipeline.

El Topo

Luckily there don't seem to be any more in the pipeline.

Captain Marvel?

Kevin Feige said:
[Black] Panther is not really an origin story, since we saw him already in Civil War. But his standalone certainly introduces you to 99% of his world that you never saw. And Captain Marvel is certainly an origin. It's an origin story from the start.
Taken from here.

Isn't Captain Marvel introduced in Avengers IW? That might help with the origin story baggage.

I like the synopsis for Black Panther. Dealing with T'Challa's new role as Wakanda's King and the unease of the transition. It's in a sense an origin of T'Challa truly becoming Black Panther, but it's not that same origin story arc we've seen time and again.

El Topo

Isn't Captain Marvel introduced in Avengers IW? That might help with the origin story baggage.

I mean, we have it straight from Feige.
Panther was an integral part of CW, did not need a superpower introduction and had plenty of screentime. I doubt they can do that with Carol for Infinity War.

I mean, we have it straight from Feige.
Panther was an integral part of CW, did not need a superpower introduction and had plenty of screentime. I doubt they can do that with Carol for Infinity War.

What I mean is, I think she'll get her powers in Avengers IW. Captain Marvel can be the origin of Captain Marvel, but we can see who Carol is and how she comes to be Captain Marvel. Typically with these origin movies there's a long period of seeing their ordinary lives before they put on the suit.

Vibranium

Banned

It was ok. They need to go trippier with the sequel, more of Strange travelling through dimensions and such. But yeah, Mads was wasted in the usual Marvel villain way and the plot was standard.

Hopefully we get Clea, alongside Mordo and Dormammu next time. Have her fight alongside Strange and do some cool sorcery. Maybe set most of the movie off of Earth.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
It was ok. They need to go trippier with the sequel, more of Strange travelling through dimensions and such. But yeah, Mads was wasted in the usual Marvel villain way and the plot was stndard.

Hopefully we get Clea, alongside Mordo and Dormammu next time. Have her fight alongside Strange and do some cool sorcery. Maybe set most of the movie off of Earth.

Yeah, that part in the beginning where he was sent through different dimensions was awesome but quite brief.

doctor-strange-image.jpg

No Sony with Spidey?
Well, these are just the ones Deadline's heard through the grapevine.

I honestly don't know if Sony will show up with Spidey, because if WB isn't bringing WW to the Super Bowl, what does that mean for other big budget superhero movies releasing around then?

guek

Banned

I'm always confused by these kinds of comments. It makes me feel like the exception since I generally don't completely forget a movie as long as I half way enjoyed it and often times even if I didn't.

Like, I can remember most of both Fantastic Four movies and those are some of the most bland, forgettable comicbook movies ever made. I remember entire scenes and jokes. I hate those movies but I remember them fairly well. Maybe I'm cursed.

I'm always confused by these kinds of comments. It makes me feel like the exception since I generally don't completely forget a movie as long as I half way enjoyed it and often times even if I didn't.

Like, I can remember most of both Fantastic Four movies and those are some of the most bland, forgettable comicbook movies ever made. I remember entire scenes and jokes. I hate those movies but I remember them fairly well. Maybe I'm cursed.

It's a bullshit thing to say, much like saying they fell asleep during the movie. Like outside influences never played a part.

SpaceWolf

Banned

The thing is, the point I was making that I didn't really enjoy it.

It's a bullshit thing to say, much like saying they fell asleep during the movie. Like outside influences never played a part.

(Raises eyebrow)

Pachimari

It's a modern take. I really don't think we'll see the classic costume. If so, we'll see it for a minute and he will have dropped it again before Defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom