• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

zma1013

is there a single fight scene in this show that isn't filmed in a dark setting? you know, so I can actually see stuff?

Yes, one. It's in season 2.

Also, maybe check your TV settings because even in the darker ones you should be able to see the fighting.

imBask

Banned
Your best friend's risking death and your entire professional career. Out of any problem you could have with Foggy, this one baffles me. Matt acted like a complete dick.

It's the attitude really. I don't know, tbh
I was 90% sur they were going to branch out from the comics and was going to die. With all this "i'm not gonna be here to pick you up everytime" and Punisher mentionning that Matt was one bad night away from becoming him and etc etc

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Did I miss something about the use of the Daredevil name? At what point was this introduced?

Nobu used it late in the series, and Karen in the next episode. Was its origin ever explained, or was it really that random and clunky?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I already finished. Did I miss an explanation?

You did not, it's super unclear; speculation includes (Series spoilers + speculation mixed with potential spoilers from comics)
it being a monicker for potential hosts for the Beast (demon the Hand worships in the comics). They make a point that the Black Sky are extremely rare and the Chaste's mission is to kill them, possibly stopping the resurrection of the Beast or something to that effect.

Apathy

Finished S2 yesterday, I liked it. The punisher was done well. The weak acting link is still foggy, there were so many lines where it seemed like an amateur actor was reciting them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Though I enjoy the show a lot, I should probably be watching something else, as I must be one of the few here that
can't stand Daredevil/Murdock at all. Electra and Punisher were far better characters, they were both more fun as super/antiheroes and as humans. Daredevil is a hypocrite, an asshole, ineffective as a superhero, and such a fucking bore.

I feel exactly the same. I haven't been in this thread at all so I thought I was completely alone in feeling that way. Good to see I'm not.

Eidan

is there a single fight scene in this show that isn't filmed in a dark setting? you know, so I can actually see stuff?
I've never heard complaints about not being able to follow the action in the show. Maybe you should check your tv's settings.

Kain

Finished too, the Punisher was all kinds of awesome, Elektra was cool and the Hand was lame as hell.

Can't wait for Kingpin to return to the stage and show those crappy ninjas who's the man.

Finished last night, same as DD S1 and JJ S1, the show dragged a bit near the end but still ended up feeling rushed at the end.

I think they focused too much on Frank's resolution which weakened the Black Sky arc, they should have saved that for Frank's own show IMO but who knows how far out that is

Absolutely dumb that we still haven't been shown exactly what "black sky" is, you can't blab on about something for so long without showing the audience anything. Totally took the wind out of the sails of the final episodes for me, just felt pretty directionless

KarmaCow

Did I miss something about the use of the Daredevil name? At what point was this introduced?

Nobu used it late in the series, and Karen in the next episode. Was its origin ever explained, or was it really that random and clunky?

It was used at the end of season 1. The newspapers adopted the name after Matt stops Fisk from escaping. Foggy, Karen, and Matt even have a little self aware talk about it.

duckroll

Episode 10

Damn that's some good shit. Finally interesting stuff with Matt, Foggy, and Karen!
The DA shooting was pretty surprising. I thought she was going to hang around as an antagonist, but I guess now that they have "The Blacksmith" in the conspiracy, they don't need her anymore. The entire Frank Castle origin feels so contrived. It wasn't just the 3 gangs, it wasn't just the DA, it wasn't just an undercover sting, there's now a mysterious criminal that's linked to all this too, and now Frank is being framed. Way too many layers.

Elektra fight was good, but fight totally disconnected from everything else in the episode. The hospital scene is freaky as hell, but I expected that to happen since the moment they were brought in. Still, good use of horror direction though. The prison scene between Matt and Fisk was PERFECTION. They might only have him around for a few episodes this season, but he's making every single second worthwhile. <3

In the last fight of the finale
half the ninjas must have evaporated or something. I was super hyped for the Punisher to show up with that minigun they'd lingered on. Sniping the last few guys didn't really have the same impact.

Forgot about the minigun, I expected a grenade launcher or something. I feel like when they were editing they were copying ninjas on screen or something and hit paste like 8 times instead of only supposed to doing it twice. It didn't bother me that much.

Episode 10

Damn that's some good shit. Finally interesting stuff with Matt, Foggy, and Karen!
The DA shooting was pretty surprising. I thought she was going to hang around as an antagonist, but I guess now that they have "The Blacksmith" in the conspiracy, they don't need her anymore. The entire Frank Castle origin feels so contrived. It wasn't just the 3 gangs, it wasn't just the DA, it wasn't just an undercover sting, there's now a mysterious criminal that's linked to all this too, and now Frank is being framed. Way too many layers.

Elektra fight was good, but fight totally disconnected from everything else in the episode. The hospital scene is freaky as hell, but I expected that to happen since the moment they were brought in. Still, good use of horror direction though. The prison scene between Matt and Fisk was PERFECTION. They might only have him around for a few episodes this season, but he's making every single second worthwhile. <3

I really enjoyed the amount of Kingpin we got, and yes, that scene was perfect.

Sephzilla

I kind of feel like I'm the only person who really didn't like Foggy after this season.
His holier than thou attitude is really grating considering he generally seems to only care about his career. He dialed down on criticizing Matt for risking his life being Daredevil and replaced it with "but what about my career, Matt!?" and seemed to only want Karen to stop digging into the Castle case because the case was over - not because she was digging so deep she was in danger.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm still watching S1 currently(up to ep. 9 out of 13), and while I am enjoying it, I am REALLY disappointed in Kingpin's portrayal.

Not sure how GAF responded to him, but its by far been the weakest link in the season for me. Just not threatening at all, severe focus on his insecurities(and his Kingpin Rage!) leaving me questioning if he is actually a crafty and saavy villain or just a thug with expensive suits. Any and all chances to prop him up as being some mysterious threat in the shadows feels wasted as he dances around maintaining his hair-thread reputation among his stereotype cronies. It's as if he so fearful that anyone will see what a total knob he is, thus he is forced to hide his identity not as method of striking fear into the populace but to avoid the curtain being pulled back on the 'wizard'.

I am not really familiar with his character(beyond some of the more popular portrayals, primarily in 90's cartoons), but as much as I WANT to love this show, sadly D'Onofrio and the script isn't making a very compelling antithesis to DD. Maybe I expected a craftier and thoughtful villain. A real puppeteer...Marvel's version of Lex Luthor. Cox is fantastic as DD though!

Seems like DD S2 has a better conflict going on at least.

Chorazin

I'm still watching S1 currently(up to ep. 9 out of 13), and while I am enjoying it, I am REALLY disappointed in Kingpin's portrayal.

Not sure how GAF responded to him, but its by far been the weakest link in the season for me. Just not threatening at all, severe focus on his insecurities(and his Kingpin Rage!) leaving me questioning if he is actually a crafty and saavy villain or just a thug with expensive suits. Any and all chances to prop him up as being some mysterious threat in the shadows feels wasted as he dances around maintaining his hair-thread reputation among his stereotype cronies. It's as if he so fearful that anyone will see what a total knob he is, thus he is forced to hide his identity not as method of striking fear into the populace but to avoid the curtain being pulled back on the 'wizard'.

I am not really familiar with his character(beyond some of the more popular portrayals, primarily in 90's cartoons), but as much as I WANT to love this show, sadly D'Onofrio and the script isn't making a very compelling antithesis to DD. Maybe I expected a craftier and thoughtful villain. A real puppeteer...Marvel's version of Lex Luthor. Cox is fantastic as DD though!

Huh. Kingpin was fucking amazing in S1. I'm completely unable to grok your feelings about him. :/

First 4 episodes of the Punisher arc is the best thing in the marvel cinematic universe. God damn. Elektra was well casted but her character just wasn't that interesting. Wilson Fisk doing his thing was great, and Daredevil has an awesome costume now. Stuff with the Hand is just boring though.

I'll still give the season a 7.9/10.

enemy2k

Just finished Season 2 on Netflix. Better than S1, was epic. And the finale was one of the GOAT in my opinion and sets up S3 perfectly. The Punisher was the highlight of the season for me, Jon Bernthal killed it.

"One batch, two batch, penny and dime"

Eidan

Fisk is the highlight of season 1. Pretty much all the things you complained about made him compelling to me.

People keep saying they need to tone down the
mysticism elements, but it's the opposite really. I'm gonna shoot myself if we have to sit through any of next season with the words "black sky" repeated a million times as if we're supposed to know why it's important.

They just need to go all in with the crazy demon ninja magic shit, because everything about it in the last few episodes was wholly unsatisfying.

People keep saying they need to tone down the
mysticism elements, but it's the opposite really. I'm gonna shoot myself if we have to sit through any of next season with the words "black sky" repeated a million times as if we're supposed to know why it's important.

They just need to go all in with the crazy demon ninja magic shit, because everything about it in the last few episodes was wholly unsatisfying.
I agree with all of this. I found myself getting quite confused about
all the Black Sky stuff and was wondering if I had missed some explanation somewhere but nope. It's important just because.

Ever since seeing the first scene with Castle (he technically was there, just off camera), I felt like I wassimply waiting for the next scene he's in. I'm up past episode 9 and it had been several episodes since that thirst was quenched. Christ, my mouth was dry and the Daredevil bits were just drips. His badassery keeps me hooked.

I need a Punisher show. I have no idea if it'd work, as Castle would be absolutely blowing everyone away, but I feel the strong desire for it. He's so damn cool and his no-bullshit action scenes are exciting.

Elektra is cool. Not much more I can say on her.

Khezu

Finally finished it.

Started out strong and just kinda shitted all over itself at some point.

Frank was the best part.

Season 1 > Season 2 >>>>>> JJ.

Wish he got his cool grappling hook stick thing way earlier, though was funny how jealous Elektra was about it.

spekkeh

Banned

I agree with this. I thought d'Onofrio was hamming it up too much, and it doesn't help that many of his scenes don't really advance the plot, leaving you to wonder, outside of a few nasty scenes, exactly why these henchmen are fawning over this huge manbaby.

I think he works better when his screen time is more limited to plotting and exerting control.

Finished it yesterday.

Loved it above S1.

I think Daredevil S2 is the best MCU product.

There was only one thing that bugged me:
What the hell was in the hole?

duckroll

Episode 11

The ninja stuff is getting really old. I can't believe Daredevil was handing out on the roof but couldn't get down fast enough to save the ONE person who gets stabbed to death. FFS. The Gao cameo was nice, the Karen/Punisher stuff was great, but it started to lose me towards the end when both Daredevil and Punisher were super obsessed with the Blacksmith. I don't even really understand why. Seems like a drug dealer who no one gave a fuck about previously until he was linked to this conspiracy, but his only role in the entire fuck up was that he -didn't show up for the sting-. He didn't order anyone to kill civilians, he didn't initiate the gang war, he didn't do jack shit. How is he in any way responsible? Lol.

The Elektra/Stick stuff seems pretty forced and dumb too. There was some really curious imagery near the end of the episode though. They spent a lot of time setting up Stick sharpening his sword. Like...a ... blacksmith?

duckroll

Episode 12

The ninja stuff towards the end of this season is dumb, boring, and just seriously overdone in a super uninteresting way. Even the fights are boring! The Elektra stuff is so on the nose it's hard to take it seriously either. The Punisher thing here was.... errr... stupid too. This was a pretty negative episode for me. They seem to be trying to wrap up all the storylines in the season in the dullest ways possible. :(

Too painful to continue watching, will finish the season tomorrow.

Axass

Spoilers about the last episodes:

So yeah, it ends with a whimper, just like season 1 and Jessica Jones. I wonder why all Netflix shows start so strong and then drop the ball in the last two or so episodes.

The ninja fights got boring quickly, The Hand was portrayed in a very unsatisfying way. So, who was its leader? Nobu? Certainly didn't seem such a powerful guy in the first season, when he basically did everything Fisk wanted. The hole isn't explained, the pale kids aren't completely explained, the black jar isn't explained either, even though we can guess what it's for by now, the immortality thing isn't explained. What about Black Sky? Really not well explained, starting from the first season's kid to the awful revelation about Elektra being a (the? Is BS one or several entities?) Black Sky. They noticed she was BS because she fought well? Really? Didn't even say what they need BS for.

Elektra's motivations and actions themselves are really poorly explained, it's like she jumps from a mood to the opposite one in a matter of minutes: first she's with Stick, then suddenly with Matt, then she flees, then she comes back, she wants to kill Stick, then she helps him, she embraces her evil part, then she doesn't. Come on.

I think they should've gone wild with the mystic stuff. I was genuinely interested but they kept half-assing it, showing some weird stuff without explaining jack shit. It's like they were scared of alienating season 1 fans or something, because the approach then was far more realistic and gritty. They made a huge mistake.

The Blacksmith stuff is extremely unsatisfactory, feels like there's more to the park shooting than what we know, yet they don't delve on it. Feels like the Punisher story hasn't reached any closure. We hear a bit about Karen's past, then we don't go there either. It's like a constant, unresolved, teasing, and I'm worried we won't get answers in the next season: do you remember Stone in the first season? One would have assumed that he'd be in season 2, but nope. Why teasing things so much in advance then?

Frank's apparition in the last episode was kinda crap, I was expecting him go all out with the damn minigun... but we got two rifle shots instead? And 3/4 of the ninja army suddenly disappeared?

Matt also comes off as seriously confused in regards to his love life: first he's all in with Karen, even plainly rejecting his ex, then it's over so quickly with Karen and in the last episode he's literally salivating over Elektra. Then she's dead and he's like "ah whatever", going back to Karen immediately and showing her the mask. At one point I even thought he was going to try something with Claire again.

That said, solid season. Some of the best stuff coming from Marvel's MCU in my opinion. Can't wait for season 3 and The Defenders. Not really hyped for Luke Cage or Iron Fist right now though and I don't think that a Punisher solo would work. Also, too bad they're not going in with crossovers, aside from very minor stuff like
Hogarth and Jessica's namedrop
; they should set up the Defenders better IMO, and I'm becoming annoyed by how far removed the television series are from the actual movies: Daredevil, Frank and Fisk are all great, well developed, characters by now, I wish we could see them around more, yet I fear Matt is never crossing into the movies, not even in Infinity War, same for Fisk in Spider-Man. Boo Marvel!

Everyone wants the Punisher to have his own series, but if he isn't accompanied by a traditional hero against whom to contrast, his violence does not stand out and the show becomes another run-of-the-mill revenge story. That's why he can't carry a movie solo.

Sephzilla

Everyone wants the Punisher to have his own series, but if he isn't accompanied by a traditional hero against whom to contrast, his violence does not stand out and the show becomes another run-of-the-mill revenge story. That's why he can't carry a movie solo.

If we got a Punisher mini series that ended up feeling like "John Wick in the MCU" I would be more than satisfied. But yeah, I do feel Punisher works best when he has a traditional hero to contrast against.

fader

i think that's an important thing to note. Without constrast, then his film would seem like nothing more than a snuff film

Top Bottom