• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Nemesis_

I'm sure this is done to death but I just managed to watch Mass Effect: Genesis. It's pretty damn disappointing that they not only left out Feros, which was one of my favourite planets, but also a few significant sidequests (even the Cerberus) centered ones.

I know it's not integral but I think the complete and full experience of Mass Effect 2 is also bringing over your full and complete experience from Mass Effect. This is a bit disappointing in comparison. =(

Still, more people to experience the amazingness of Mass Effect 2, so it's always good.

Mr_Zombie

Patryn said:
If I may bring only one issue into this thread from the old one (and I apologize for doing so, as I didn't get a chance to craft a proper reply before we moved to this one), it's this (regarding Cerberus):

Not once, not ONCE did the game ever justify why my paragon sole survivor Shepard was working with Cerberus.

They've resurrected him/her. Dunno about you, but I would be thankful if someone brought me back from dead :p.

Also, as Felix Lighter said, Shepard didn't work for Cerberus (you could easily omit all those Cerberus' side missions), he/she was trying to solve the Collector's case and Cerberus was the only one that was able (and willing) to provide Shepard with people, ship, resources and informations.

Not to mention, after all was done, according to my Shepard, now it's TIM that works for him ;).

If I use the cerberus network code in one of the accounts on ps3, the other accounts in the console will have access to the same content?

AwRy108

jcm said:
They can't ask $60 for it, can they?

They pretty much have to, or they risk pissing off GameStop. When Warhawk came out on PSN day-and-date with the retail copy (same price, mind you), all GameStop stores pulled their copies off the shelves for a month or so.

I hate GameStop, but, unfortunately, console publishers have to rely on them.

Emitan

Mr_Zombie said:
They've resurrected him/her. Dunno about you, but I would be thankful if someone brought me back from dead :p.
You are obviously not me.

TIM: Sheperd, save that Reaper facility for me.
Me: Whoops, accidentally activated this nuke!
TIM: :<
Me: trollface.jpg

IoCaster

Felix Lighter said:
If it doesn't seem plausible to you, I don't think I can convince you otherwise but for me...
my first playthrough was a paragon sole survivor who also pledged to take down Cerberus. I justify it this way personally, ever opportunity I had, I chose the dialog option that explained that Shepard is not working for Cerberus, I just need their resources to investigate the Reaper\Collector threat. When Shepard reaches the Citadel it becomes clear that the council and the alliance will not provide you the support you need to complete the mission. If Shepard refuses Cerberus's help, more colonies will fall, more people will be abducted and more lives will be lost. The Reapers\Collectors are an immediate threat and if Shepard can't set his/her issues with Cerberus aside, at least for this mission, the entire galaxy could be lost.
If you can't see your Shepard doing that then I can see it being a real problem for you.

It still comes across as relatively crappy writing in both story and plot. I'll stop right here since there's an actual thread dedicated to story discussion and we should probably keep that kind of shit out of this one.

lucius

Is the Cerberus network worth the extra cash on xbox live over the other dlc?

I got the 360 ME2 recently and want to know if I should just skip the Cerberus network, I missed the dlc sale and I doubt I am gonna wait until another holiday sale to buy some of the dlc.

Emitan

lucius said:

I got the 360 ME2 recently and want to know if I should just skip the Cerberus network, I missed the dlc sale and I doubt I am gonna wait until another holiday sale to buy some of the dlc.
It's not that great. If it's on sale buy it, but I don't think it's worth whatever they're charging unless you want to do Zaeed's mission.

It's kinda early for this question I guess, but does anyone know if you can transfer ME2 save files between PS3s, or are they locked for some asinine reason?

Going to pick this up this morning and give it my whole day, thanks to the good reverend.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Massa said:
Would love to play it now but it's hard to justify buying it right away.

me2.jpg

You are getting ~20-30 dollars worth of DLC for free that you would have to buy on the 360.

If this is your only access to the game (i.e. you can't play ME1 and import characters) you would be an absolute fool not to buy this game.

Besides, does it really matter if the game is a year old? It's the exact same game 360 owners were buying for that price last year. Isn't like the game has somehow gotten worse in that time frame. It's only dropped in price on 360 because most people who wanted it got it. It's was worth 60 bucks then, it's worth 60 bucks now.

Emitan

TheSeks said:
Yep. $60 a year later doesn't sit well with me, even if it includes the (ho-hum) DLC.

I'm waiting until it's $30 like I did ME1. Not like I'm chomping at the bit for ME2 since
Wrex is killed in canon.
Fuck you Bioware.
You can't change that in the comic?

lucius said:

If you are not worried about 100% achievements then no not really, the extra character is ok, firewalker was entertaining but not important, you are not missing out on much.

I'm in the middle of three different 50+ hour RPGs right now (or more accurately, at the start).

Please don't tempt me with a Mass Effect 2 replay.

Subitai

Great OT! Very nice work indeed. :D
MattyH said:
Zaeed Massani has gotta be the best character From Mass Effect 2
Haunted said:
*high five* I liked him as well.

Not the most interesting back story or anything, but I liked him. Reflecting on the characters, major props for Bioware for creating so many interesting ones in the same game. They're truly the most important thing about this game.

Also, the best part of the PC version was how it let you skip the awful awful scanning minigame.

Some people thought he was too shallow, but I just loved him for his ginormous stats early in the game and the additional 10% buff for assault rifles. Having him 2 shot guys makes things go much easier early game.
He has special side conversations/comments when your dealing with blue suns. ex: if you haven't yet, take him with you to rescue archangel.

He can be replaced by Thane later on, and if you have an ability that can make use of a warp explosion Zaeed falls behind Thane. Otherwise I've found him to be one of the best team member to take with you at any point of the game.

Relix said:
Vanguard you fuckers. Vanguard is your only choice!
Be forewarned, the sexy Vanguard charge can get buggy at certain points. Great if you don't mind a few extra deaths. The 1 shot shotgun kills later on more than make up for this problem for a lot of people.

jcm

TheSeks said:
Yep. $60 a year later doesn't sit well with me, even if it includes the (ho-hum) DLC.

I'm waiting until it's $30 like I did ME1. Not like I'm chomping at the bit for ME2 since
Wrex is killed in canon.
Fuck you Bioware.

Amazon has a $20 preorder promo, so it nets out to $36.99 today.

Looking forward to playing and finally seeing what all the fuss is about... but Two Worlds 2 is next week! What to do gaf???

Did anyone in the old offical thread break down which classes work the best? I think I remember comments from podcasts awhile back about how some classes didn't work well, like the Biotics being weak and the game should be played with solider

Although I never finished it I was an Adept in ME1 on the PC - any reason why I shouldn't be one in 2?

lucius

Thanks, I think I will pass on Cerberus network and get the other dlc until maybe the sale before ME3 probably happens. Btw I think this is my favorite series this generation right there with Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid and Halo use to be my favorites.

Jomjom

Banned
Massa said:
Would love to play it now but it's hard to justify buying it right away.

me2.jpg

I agree, this pic pretty much sums it up. Utterly ridiculous.

StoOgE said:
Besides, does it really matter if the game is a year old? It's the exact same game 360 owners were buying for that price last year. Isn't like the game has somehow gotten worse in that time frame. It's only dropped in price on 360 because most people who wanted it got it. It's was worth 60 bucks then, it's worth 60 bucks now.

Are you serious? Of course this matters. No reasonable gamer would be willing to pay full price for a year old game.

kai3345

Banned
TheSeks said:

Wrex is killed in canon.
Fuck you Bioware.
thats what the comic is for brah

englishbob

Neo Member
Christ, what a load of bollocks written about the price of this "year old" game. Its an essential purchase for PS3 only owners, everyone else who's had the 360 and PC version, just wait under the price drops to 20 or below to get it if you want.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HamPster PamPster said:
Although I never finished it I was an Adept in ME1 on the PC - any reason why I shouldn't be one in 2?
Adept is no longer God-Tier crowd control, because of enemy protections. You need a specialized party, for Adept to be worthwhile.

Made me sad.

IoCaster

HamPster PamPster said:

Depends on what difficulty you plan to play at. Veteran and below you're good to go on your first playthrough with an Adept. If you shoot for higher difficulty then it'll be some rough going until you get a good feel for the game. You basically have to strip shields, barrier and/or armor from the enemy before the Biotics can do direct damage in most cases. There are some combo Biotic Warpslosions that will work around some of those restrictions once you learn how to do them.

Subitai

HamPster PamPster said:
Looking forward to playing and finally seeing what all the fuss is about... but Two Worlds 2 is next week! What to do gaf???

Did anyone in the old offical thread break down which classes work the best? I think I remember comments from podcasts awhile back about how some classes didn't work well, like the Biotics being weak and the game should be played with solider

What!? Who said that? If anything biotics, especially with warp, are the strongest. I mean, with warp/overload you kinda don't need guns anymore. If you take Miranda/Thane and explode their warps it gets even better. Throw in the upgrades and it becomes sort of ridiculous.

here is a pretty good explanation of the warp explosion combo dynamics and how much they pwn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-pdNYasMX8

I've played insanity with every class and the easiest runs were the ones where you could stay in cover the most. You won't be sorry running as an adept/sentinel and heavy warp.

HamPster PamPster said:

Soldier is "easiest" class to complete game, even at level 1 adrenaline rush for double damage + mattock assault rifle = dead enemies. But you wont get arc-able powers, the most unique element of ME2 over ME1.

If you haven't played a vanguard, with heavy charge (slow time on impact) then you havent experienced what makes ME2 special IMO.

BTW biotics need to be combined for most effectiveness. Pull or singularity an enemy, then warp to make an explosion - very powerful and huge area of effect.

This game is still worth $60 any day of the week. Does time really degrade the quality of a game that is barely a year old? How many sites gave this game GOTY?

kai3345

Banned
I have a massive backlog and I've already beaten ME1 + 2 about 3 or 4 times. But anytime a new thread is created I just want to play them both over again.

This was meant to be under some sort of embargo I believe alongside most reviews, but, uh, the Sixth Axis is reporting on the install size, which is 5.3gb even for the disc version. Make sure you've got space, PS3 people, as on top of this Firewalker/Zaeed/Ceberus Weapons etc are all downloaded via the Cerberus Network - so you'll have to download those, too, which is going to bring it to about 6.5-7gb or so.

So PS3 owners finally get to enjoy what us 360 and PC gamers have loved for the last year, wish the opposite would happen with some PS3 games. Anyways, enjoy, you will love it!

Jomjom

Banned
PsychoJecht said:
This game is still worth $60 any day of the week. Does time really degrade the quality of a game that is barely a year old? How many sites gave this game GOTY?

It doesn't degrade the quality of the game, but no one is paying full price for last year's model of the Honda Accord or some other car even if it is a quality car.

Emitan

jling84 said:
It doesn't degrade the quality of the game, but no one is paying full price for last year's model of the Honda Accord or some other car even if it is a quality car.
This game wasn't available on PS3. If you didn't own an Xbox or gaming PC this is the first time this game is out for you. Your analogy makes no sense in this context.

Lothars

jling84 said:

That's not true though this is like a GOTY version so people are paying for game of the year editions at full price, it's not like PS3 owners are getting ripped off or 360 users are missing out.

Jomjom

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Wasn't it 49.99? Technically, not full price. ;)

Also, at the time this released, Uncharted 2 was not retailing for $19.99. Also the DLC content was worth more than $24 (which is what the ME2 DLC totals). $20 + $24 should not equal $59.99.

Look, there's really no point in arguing this, and I'll stop derailing the thread. I just wanted to opine that I feel it's a rip off. If people in this thread feel otherwise of course that's perfectly fine.

Top Bottom