• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt-IGN on Halo2 and GTA:SA

SantaC

From the latets mailbag on question what he thinks of Halo2 and GTA:SA. I know some people that wanted his opnion:

Matt responds: To be perfectly honest, I haven't played enough of either to render a thoughtful opinion. So bear that in mind as you read the dribble that follows.

I've played a couple missions in Halo 2's single-player campaign and put five or so hours into Xbox Live. Not much, really. Based on the limited experience I've had with the game, my feeling so far is that, with the exception of the multiplayer mode, it's more of the same. The single-player campaign looks and plays pretty much like Halo 1 looked and played. Yeah, you can dual-wield now, but that's a small addition. Still, the run-and-gun gameplay is of course as fun now as it was three years ago. That noted, I think Halo 2's multiplayer mode is its main draw. It is probably the best multiplayer game to hit Xbox Live yet and true enough it is pretty satisfying. I played with some IGN editors for a good while the other night and got caught up in some Capture the Flag team matches. However, people claiming that this is the best thing since the discovery of electricity need to get out (or stay in) more. From what I can tell, Halo 2's multiplayer mode is basically just a recreation of what PC FPSs have been offering for years, with some nicer statistical tracking services. And to be honest, dual analog sticks still don't compete with the precision and speed of mouse look.

As for GTA, my opinion is likely to differ drastically from most of the other IGN editors. I've really never been a big fan of the series. While I concede that the developer formerly known as DMA Design is capable of creating huge, non-linear worlds, it has in the past always done so at the sacrifice of technology. And I'm a sucker for execution. GTA: San Andreas is huge. It takes all of these gameplay ideas and smashes them together in one package. But seemingly as a result, just about everything is flawed in some fundamental way. Control is clunky. Targeting is stiff. There's graphical pop-up, draw in, and more. The visuals have a low-polygon look to them. And the framerate sucks. I also believe that if you change the "M" on the box to an "E" then many of the ratings go from 10s to 8s.

http://cube.ign.com/mail.html

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
matt casaassasmaasamasma craves the hot split-screen lock-on action. once you've gone prime, nothing else seems sublime!

DSN2K

could not agree with him more, slightly less on Halo 2 front that the Multiplayer is fantastic and its feels very fresh to me and ive been playing FPS's on PC for years....

I do agree that if you take the element of violence out of GTA but kept the game the same more or less otherwise, the reviews would drop from 9s/10s to 8s.

drohne

i'm perplexed by the increasingly widespread opinion that halo 2's multiplayer is its strongest component. yeah, it's good fun, but it's a lot like every other online fps. i think the campaign, with its distinctive, finely-tuned mechanics and large-scale battles is a lot more impressive. there's so much strategy and variety there, and the online play, for all its thrills, can't match it. wasn't consensus on halo 1 that the singleplayer rocked while the multiplayer was ordinary? what changed?

soundwave05 said:
I do agree that if you take the element of violence out of GTA but kept the game the same more or less otherwise, the reviews would drop from 9s/10s to 8s.

The game is violent, if you removed that it wouldn't even be GTA anymore. How fun would Mario be if you removed all the platforming?

drohne

soundwave05 said:

yeah, and if you took the jumping out of mario, it'd be a 7 at best. jesus. gta without violence would be the western equivalent of tokyo bus guide. it wouldn't be an 8, it'd be a ZERO.

edit: oh shit, i was thinking the same thing as ssx. how long do i have until my avatar turns into a cloying asian moppet-girl.

8bit

Knows the Score
Tokyo Bus Guide with girlfriends and a dress up mode would probably be big in Japan though.

I have to say - this is one time where I actually agree with Matt on almost all accounts. We usually have very differing tastes when it comes to game preferences, but this is one instance where his sentiments (almost) reflect mine to a tee. As a person who looks for great execution with in-game mechanics, GTA just really falls short in almost every category. I would rather take a game with a smaller scope and more refined gameplay mechanics than a melting pot of half-polished design elements.

The only thing I disagree about is Halo 2's run-and-gun gameplay structure. I'm personally not a big fan of it, to be honest. It just comes across as very "one-dimensional" in a way. I got excited when we got stuck in the game the other day because I thought maybe they were going to actually make us solve a puzzle or find a hidden doorway but it turned out they just unlocked an existing door. Then they made me sit on an elevator for what seemed like 10 minutes, mindlessly gunning down the same enemies over and over. I know it's the "in thing" right now, but as a game design enthusiast, Halo 2 just doesn't do anything for me. The only thing I really am impressed about is the balancing with multiplayer. That is both well executed and bold in its direction (slower gameplay, emphasis on having both advantages and disadvantages to every facet.)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
My significant other, who is a prude when it comes to issues like violence in media, has been hogging the San Andreas time at our house.

He's in love with the Sims-like features, and while not an experienced enough gamer to complete missions on their first(and even thirtieth) try, his dedication is pretty telling of the game's drawing power and quality.

People who write off San Andreas as a mainstream "morbid curiosity", a violence fix, are too quick to judge.

Jonnyram

Perhaps he is just writing this because it's what the Nintendo fanboys want to hear? Perhaps he's just a normal guy when he finishes work, and goes home to get down to some serious smack-talking on Halo 2 Live. You have to give these professionals a break - they're only trying to entertain us. Did people think Charlie Chaplin was mute just because he didn't speak in his movies? Wait for Matt to come out and start editing IGN-PS2 :D

Speevy

Banned
Rockstar has sent a resounding message to future generations of developers that if your engine does enough, it doesn't have to do anything particularly well.

<Somewhere, Bethesda breathes a sigh of relief>

Speevy said:
Rockstar has sent a resounding message to future generations of developers that if your engine does enough, it doesn't have to do anything particularly well.

<Somewhere, Bethesda breathes a sigh of relief>

bitter1.jpg

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Jonnyram said:
Perhaps he is just writing this because it's what the Nintendo fanboys want to hear? Perhaps he's just a normal guy when he finishes work, and goes home to get down to some serious smack-talking on Halo 2 Live. You have to give these professionals a break - they're only trying to entertain us. Did people think Charlie Chaplin was mute just because he didn't speak in his movies? Wait for Matt to come out and start editing IGN-PS2 :D
That's a very good point.

Teddman

drohne said:
i'm perplexed by the increasingly widespread opinion that halo 2's multiplayer is its strongest component. yeah, it's good fun, but it's a lot like every other online fps. i think the campaign, with its distinctive, finely-tuned mechanics and large-scale battles is a lot more impressive. there's so much strategy and variety there, and the online play, for all its thrills, can't match it. wasn't consensus on halo 1 that the singleplayer rocked while the multiplayer was ordinary? what changed?
Now now, you must admit that you don't have Xbox Live. :)

drohne

i actually do have xbox live! i tried to add you to my friends list too, assuming your tag is "teddman." i've played a fair bit of the multiplayer, and while i enjoy it, it doesn't strike me as hugely different from quake or unreal tournament.

That's true, its not like Nintendo is breaking any records for originality this year, that's fer darn sure.

Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, Mario Tennis 2.

The most original game is probably Donkey Konga and that's made by Namco.

2004 = year of the sequels.

I can't believe it, but I completely agree with everything he said. And I don't consider myself biased towards one company or another at all.

It's common GAF practice to accuse everyone with an opinion of having some hidden agenda ("trying to please the fanboys," "he's just a nerd who lives at home," "needs to get laid," "too quick to judge," etc). Why can't anyone's opinion ever be taken at face value?

Guns N' Poops said:
Yay, the credible guy number 1 speaks. Halo 2 is the same, but MP2, duuuuuude, now that's a whole new deal.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, in every way an extension of that winning formula, does not. As a result, anybody who played through the original game will already have a very clear picture of what waits in this anticipated sequel: more of the same. Yes, that means an identical control scheme and similar level structure, pacing, weapon and upgrade advancements, and Morphball-based puzzles. And despite an updated graphics engine, even the visuals look closely related to those in the title's predecessor.

Took about 20 seconds to find that in his review.

Screenboy

Hes saying that if the game was Nintendo-fied (like no sex, blood, murdering etc.) it wouldnt get 10's, it'd get 8's.

-SB

bobbyconover said:
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, in every way an extension of that winning formula, does not. As a result, anybody who played through the original game will already have a very clear picture of what waits in this anticipated sequel: more of the same. Yes, that means an identical control scheme and similar level structure, pacing, weapon and upgrade advancements, and Morphball-based puzzles. And despite an updated graphics engine, even the visuals look closely related to those in the title's predecessor.

Took about 20 seconds to find that in his review.

I don't give a damn on the review, because besides this sentences his general thoughts about Nintendo's games is damn biased. "MP2 is not that new, but Halo 2 isn't that fresh as well. It doesn't deserve hype"

bobbyconover said:
I can't believe it, but I completely agree with everything he said. And I don't consider myself biased towards one company or another at all.

It's common GAF practice to accuse everyone with an opinion of having some hidden agenda ("trying to please the fanboys," "he's just a nerd who lives at home," "needs to get laid," "too quick to judge," etc). Why can't anyone's opinion ever be taken at face value?

Also, why is it that some people think that a differing opinion is just plain crazy. I can't remember the quote, but there was that IGN editor who said if you don't like Halo 2's gameplay that you're just plain crazy or something. This is quite ignorant to me. Even though I don't personally think the campaign mode in either of the Halo games are anything special, I wouldn't think people were crazy for thinking such a thing.

8bit

Knows the Score
Another Take
Body Harvest, in development since Nintendo 64's beginning, has been absolutely cursed with delays and development problems. So, to be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much of the title, despite the fact that it's from top-notch game-maker DMA Design. Luckily, the Scottish developer surprised me, once again delivering an addictive 64-bit action-adventure that screams old-school fun.

Admittedly, Body Harvest's graphics leave a lot to be desired. They're blurry, sometimes generic and, at times, downright ugly. Even the main character looks plain and lacks detail. But this happens to be one of those games that is so fun that one can easily overlook its graphic shortcomings. And given how long this game has been undergoing and re-undergoing development, I think DMA made the best of a bad situation.

Loads of fun. But if you're expecting to be blown away by its graphics you're in for a disappointment.

-- Matt Casamassina

8bit said:
Another Take
Body Harvest, in development since Nintendo 64's beginning, has been absolutely cursed with delays and development problems. So, to be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much of the title, despite the fact that it's from top-notch game-maker DMA Design. Luckily, the Scottish developer surprised me, once again delivering an addictive 64-bit action-adventure that screams old-school fun.

Admittedly, Body Harvest's graphics leave a lot to be desired. They're blurry, sometimes generic and, at times, downright ugly. Even the main character looks plain and lacks detail. But this happens to be one of those games that is so fun that one can easily overlook its graphic shortcomings. And given how long this game has been undergoing and re-undergoing development, I think DMA made the best of a bad situation.

Loads of fun. But if you're expecting to be blown away by its graphics you're in for a disappointment.

-- Matt Casamassina

Now that's good.

SantaC

Guns N' Poops said:
I don't give a damn on the review, because besides this sentences his general thoughts about Nintendo's games is damn biased. "MP2 is not that new, but Halo 2 isn't that fresh as well. It doesn't deserve hype"

ah and you mean the PS2 and Xbox editors aren't biased? :lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
8bit said:
Another Take

-- Matt Casamassina

:lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Guns N' Poops said:
Yay, the credible guy number 1 speaks. Halo 2 is the same, but MP2, duuuuuude, now that's a whole new deal.

I was thinking the same thing, but more of either of those titles is a great thing either way.

I take exception to calling Halo a 'run and gun' type of game. Though I was previously against saying that the true Halo experience was on Legendary, it's just become pretty obvious. It's akin to saying that Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were just run and guns and the objectives would automatically complete themselves as you blast your way from one end of the level to the other(which is true for the most part on the lower difficulties). I wouldn't say that, and I'm sure Matt Cassamasina wouldn't either. Legendary introduces a layer of strategy not present in any of the other difficulty settings. I'll also agree with DSN2K and disagree with Drohne and say that while I have been playing PC FPS titles for years as well as the original Halo for years, Halo 2's multi feels pretty fresh to me. I hated the single player pretty much from start to finish, but the multi is what keeps it close to game of the year for me. I was almost certain that the multi was what was so lauded about for Halo 1, drohne. I will have to go back and check.

As far as GTA without the violence, it's called Simpson's Hit and Run, but S:H&R wasn't nearly as good or as absolutely packed with gameplay as GTASA is. But hey let's just ignore the incredible mass appeal of being an outlaw in a virtual world. It's a fantasy we all have but don't live out in the real world, obviously. I like racing games too, but I bet they wouldn't be as fun without the... racing.

That first statement covers his ass quite lovely though. It's alright, he didn't get enough playtime! Then just don't pass judgement on a website as widely read as IGN.

drohne

jasonsider - if you're a "game design enthusiast" rather than a nintendo enthusiast, you should stop equating "action" with "mindless." puzzles have no place in halo, but that doesn't mean it's thoughtless or one-note. it's a pure action game, but some of its design is remarkably subtle and clever. each type of enemy calls for a distinct strategy, and suggests the use of certain weapons. but your arsenal is limited, and enemies come in heterogenous packs. the way the game forces you to stretch your tools and spontaneously strategize demands appreciation. the reactive ai and the range of choice the game often allows you ensure that there are nearly as many halo strategies as halo players.

if you can only see brilliance in certain genres, or only in traditional, heavily-designed games rather than modern, freeform games, you're working with a massive blind spot.

human5892 said:
That's a very good point.
No, the Charlie Chaplin analogy was quite stupid.

I tend to agree with him on Halo 2. I've had it since launch, and still to this day haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as the first one. The major factor is a lack of playing with a huge crowd of friends in one location over LAN. Xbox Live matches a silent, boring and just straight forward. And the online interface is fucked, I don't like it at all.

We'll see what people really think five or six years down the road, when Halo 2 and GTA: SA have had time to sit. Remember, Super Metroid wasn't hailed as one of the best games ever when it first launched; that came some years later. It was mainly Donkey Kong Country that stole the spotlight that year because of the hype surrounding it. But most would agree that game is not worth any kind of hype. EGM gave Super Metroid a high rating (somewhere around 9.5), but they didn't seem nearly as keen on it as they were when it received "Best Game Ever" in some later issues.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
evilromero said:
I tend to agree with him on Halo 2. I've had it since launch, and still to this day haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as the first one. The major factor is a lack of playing with a huge crowd of friends in one location over LAN. Xbox Live matches a silent, boring and just straight forward. And the online interface is fucked, I don't like it at all.

I'm honestly so shocked you would say something like that that I can't even type out a coherent response, but I'll give it a try.

LAN is still there, in fact I played LAN on Saturday with 15 other people.

Xbox Live supports headsets so that matches aren't silent and sterile.

Hope that is clear.

SomeDude

Banned
Halo 2 fucking rocks. The multiplayer alone will keep most entertained for years. Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer is like 6 maps with 2 game modes...and you can't even take that limited shit online.

I don't think Halo should be like Prime. But maybe a few branching paths instead of all those blocked off doors for just a subtle seasoning of a Zelda dungeon type layout that would sprout up just a couple of times might be an improvement(edit: See chronicles of Riddick for example of what I mean).

I find GTA rather bleh although I appreciate its style and the phenomenon which surrounds it. I wonder what a Halo type of vehicle system would be like in a massive infrastructure of cities and villas and missions laid out openly and accessable in non linear ways with some RPG and sims like elements thrown in.

Wellington said:
I'm honestly so shocked you would say something like that that I can't even type out a coherent response, but I'll give it a try.

LAN is still there, in fact I played LAN on Saturday with 15 other people.

Xbox Live supports headsets so that matches aren't silent and sterile.

Hope that is clear.
I don't even know anyone that cares about Halo anymore. Three years ago, Halo was still fresh, but a good deal of us got burnt out quickly on week-long LAN party on the same two fucking levels.

Halo 2 fucking rocks. The multiplayer alone will keep most entertained for years. Metroid Prime 2 is like 6 maps with 2 game modes...and you can't even take that limited shit online.
Wow. Are you actually comparing these two games? You sure you want to start something on that level? I think your head would explode. If you honestly think ANYONE is buying Metroid for its fucking multiplayer, then what the hell are you doing playing video games? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Top Bottom