• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

cripterion

Wish the neogaf crew was still up on pc. Finished the game once again, love it. "You know I'll walk! You'll walk with a limp!"
Honestly one of my favorite games, just great gameplay, great pacing, good variety in levels (even if all you do is keep going forward and shoot your way through) nice soundtrack and quite a good length for this genre of games, to me after watching the credits, just feels the same as when I watched a good movie, except this one was interactive.

I managed to get into a few multiplayer games, with gamepad or keyboard and mouse, it's quite fun, wish there were more people though, hard to get good games going and community wise it's pretty awful with guys insulting each other and what not.

Zep

Banned
Wish the neogaf crew was still up on pc. Finished the game once again, love it. "You know I'll walk! You'll walk with a limp!"
Honestly one of my favorite games, just great gameplay, great pacing, good variety in levels (even if all you do is keep going forward and shoot your way through) nice soundtrack and quite a good length for this genre of games, to me after watching the credits, just feels the same as when I watched a good movie, except this one was interactive.

I managed to get into a few multiplayer games, with gamepad or keyboard and mouse, it's quite fun, wish there were more people though, hard to get good games going and community wise it's pretty awful with guys insulting each other and what not.

These sales have added quite a few more people to multiplayer. There was a dead period where you couldn't find a damn thing during late night hours. Last night I got in 3 hours of quality multiplayer.

If theres one thing I've learned...its that the M4 absolutely sucks and has been removed from my loadouts forever. The spas is still my #1. Love catching someone off-guard and seeing their body fly in the other direction.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
These sales have added quite a few more people to multiplayer. There was a dead period where you couldn't find a damn thing during late night hours. Last night I got in 3 hours of quality multiplayer.

If theres one thing I've learned...its that the M4 absolutely sucks and has been removed from my loadouts forever. The spas is still my #1. Love catching someone off-guard and seeing their body fly in the other direction.

I quite like the M4, it's outclassed by the IAR, mind. Personally, it's dual 1911s and Bullet-Time all the way for me. Can you believe that I got called a "Bullet-Time noob" last night? It's Max Payne ferrchristsakes.... XD

Zep

Banned
I quite like the M4, it's outclassed by the IAR, mind. Personally, it's dual 1911s and Bullet-Time all the way for me. Can you believe that I got called a "Bullet-Time noob" last night? It's Max Payne ferrchristsakes.... XD

When I go with pistols, I do silenced. Yea its not the most effective, but its like playing Goldeneye multiplayer again in how fun they are to use.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When I go with pistols, I do silenced. Yea its not the most effective, but its like playing Goldeneye multiplayer again in how fun they are to use.

Silenced pistols are excellent, especially coupled with Sneakers. I find them really useful on the tighter levels like Branco HQ.

Mmmm, Goldeneye.

I've been trying to play this, but after 10 or so minutes of gameplay, the game will crash to a black screen, music still playing, and I have to reset my PC. Can't seem to find much info on the problem, so thought I'd ask if anyone here had a similar problem. I'm using a SLI setup and after monitoring my CPU/GPU temps, it doesn't seem to be stressing my PC too much.

nashb81

Neo Member
I've been trying to play this, but after 10 or so minutes of gameplay, the game will crash to a black screen, music still playing, and I have to reset my PC. Can't seem to find much info on the problem, so thought I'd ask if anyone here had a similar problem. I'm using a SLI setup and after monitoring my CPU/GPU temps, it doesn't seem to be stressing my PC too much.

I never had any issues with MP3 till today, and now I have a similar problem. In my case, only half the screen turns black and I lose mouse control.

Zep

Banned

I never had any issues with MP3 till today, and now I have a similar problem. In my case, only half the screen turns black and I lose mouse control.

Steam versions?

nashb81

Neo Member
Steam versions?

Yeah. Strangely the issue went away after I restarted my PC and verified the game once.

Does this load faster on PC?

Yeah. Although many of the cut-scenes are not skippable. Playing Arcade mode remedies that to a certain extent, but you still have to sit through a lot.

Does anyone play the game's horde mode on PC? I would love to try it out, but I can never seem to find anyone in a public lobby.

Zep

Banned
Thats good to hear, but it has been on sale a lot. Hopefully this makes people pay attention to the next release and Rockstar doesn't make everyone wait 10yrs.

Gacha-pin

4m x 0.8 (enduser) / 3 (platform) = 1.06m

Roughly 1m MP3 players on a platform!! I feel that I'm always playing with the same folks though :(

HC match FTW......

Zep

Banned
There are literally like 3 of those actual sponges in a game where you kill probably 500+ enemies by the end. Any other standard enemy with armor on will not only react and fall when shot, but die just as quickly as any unarmored guy if you shoot them in their head, arms, crotch, legs, and feet. There are no "hordes of enemies" that march through AK fire. You can use a pistol for the entire game and still shred everybody.

I know this post is old but even the biggest bullet sponge in the game(the gunner in the UFE police station, towards the end) can be put down in about 3-4 shots, if they're placed right. After you knock their helmets off, its one shot kill.

Zep

Banned
Also as recommended earlier in the thread, check out the Tropa De Elite movies. Both are very well done and you'll see a lot similarities between the first one and MP3.

Okay I just got around to play this and I'm on Chapter 7 right now and I'm really enjoying it. The gameplay is really fun and the game is beatiful. Max is great as always and I greatly enjoy is misery. I wish they mentioned more of the plot from the first two games a little more, but I feel it's a decent continuation so far. My only complaints so far is the bald look in the latter half and the cut scene ADD style.

Okay I just got around to play this and I'm on Chapter 7 right now and I'm really enjoying it. The gameplay is really fun and the game is beatiful. Max is great as always and I greatly enjoy is misery. I wish they mentioned more of the plot from the first two games a little more, but I feel it's a decent continuation so far. My only complaints so far is the bald look in the latter half and the cut scene ADD style.

I actually kinda like the bald look when he's wearing the suit. BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to use a trainer or something to use weapons on any level with the PC version? Not a fan of how, despite having a large variety of guns, a lot of them get relegated to a level or two, like the sawn off and desert eagle.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Reminds me of Big Walter White, especially in the precinct.

I got this game Thursday, and I beat it today. I was quiet surprised at how good this game is. I loved every single moment of it. The way the story is narrated and how Max is struggling throughout it grabs your attention and never let's go. My only complain is all the cheap and unavoidable deaths ( I played it on normal difficulty).

Really hoping to see Max Payne 4 in the future.

Zep

Banned
I got this game Thursday, and I beat it today. I was quiet surprised at how good this game is. I loved every single moment of it. The way the story is narrated and how Max is struggling throughout it grabs your attention and never let's go. My only complain is all the cheap and unavoidable deaths ( I played it on normal difficulty).

Cheap deaths? Like catching a bullet to the head?

I hated the railing in the nightclub level, when I first got it. I must have bullet-timed myself off the building a handful of times.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cheap deaths? Like catching a bullet to the head?

I hated the railing in the nightclub level, when I first got it. I must have bullet-timed myself off the building a handful of times.

Hahaha!

I love the way how - with careful shootdodging - you can end up landing on a bar or desk whilst still firing at mooks.

Fjordson

I would love a R* Max Payne 4 also.

I just worry Rockstar's strategy backfires on them when making a game like this. Where they take years and years and pour mountains of money into each project they do. I appreciate the ambition, it makes for a quality final product, and it works with their open-world games since those routinely sell 15-20 million at least, but I don't know how well it works with something like Max Payne. A series where none of the games have sold more than a few million. Might make them think twice about coming back to it.

But we'll see. I'll be psyched if it happens next gen.

Spartaner

Banned

I just worry Rockstar's strategy backfires on them when making a game like this. Where they take years and years and pour mountains of money into each project they do. I appreciate the ambition, it makes for a quality final product, and it works with their open-world games since those routinely sell 15-20 million at least, but I don't know how well it works with something like Max Payne. A series where none of the games have sold more than a few million. Might make them think twice about coming back to it.

same here.

would love a non sunny approach though.
really liked all the dark,rainy levels in mp2.

Zep

Banned
I hated how diving over tables or other obstacles usually ended up with Max flailing around instead of sliding along, John Woo style.

I think Net_wrecker said the same a while back and I wholeheartedly agree that's the next step they should take. If MP4 gets done, I want to see Max have an animation when in bullet-time that is in context to what hes diving into/onto.

Even if I'm shoot-diving into a pillar, I wanna see him wrap his one arm around it, swing and use the pistol in the other hand. They could create so many different types of those and it would no doubt be awesome. We'd finally get our John Woo videogame.

It's like Rockstar forgot how to make a smaller title. Even if they don't make another Max Payne game, they can't let these mechanics go to waste. I'd love to see them make another pure shooter with bullet time and expand the action scenes. Higher level enemies using bullet time is my #1 wish for these mechanics going forward. I want to shootdoge at two enemies and have them shootdodge in retaliation as the game slows to crawl for 1 second (for cinematic effect), then snaps back to normal speed as everyone falls to the ground, bullets flying in all directions, the environment taking damage, glass breaking, dust + smoke everywhere, and all 3 characters take cover to reload. That's infinitely more interesting as a boss battle than the big brute sponges they (and every other shooter) used in MP3.

Oh and any sequel or spiritual sequel would need to at least a 75% reduction in cutscenes. That should go without saying. Let music, use of fixed camera angles, internal monologue, and in-game conversations make up the game's "cinematic" qualities.

I think Net_wrecker said the same a while back and I wholeheartedly agree that's the next step they should take. If MP4 gets done, I want to see Max have an animation when in bullet-time that is in context to what hes diving into/onto.

Even if I'm shoot-diving into a pillar, I wanna see him wrap his one arm around it, swing and use the pistol in the other hand. They could create so many different types of those and it would no doubt be awesome. We'd finally get our John Woo videogame.

I think I mentioned something like that in reference to a "context sensitive dodge" idea I brought up. Like an ability that would allow you to quickly dodge out of the way of a fatal shot if you reacted fast enough the button prompt (Resident Evil style) and Max would react differently depending on what he hit. Sort of like how Chow Yun Fat used to smash into hallway walls to dodge shots while still shooting in his action movies.

A gameplay related example would be in Shadows of The Damned. If you've played that and remember the button prompt that would pop up when an enemy was about to strike/grab you from behind allowing you to do a 180 turn elbow strike. That was my general idea, but with bullets instead. A last ditch reactive bullet time dodge governed by an automatically refilling meter so you couldn't abuse it.

OCDuty

Neo Member
Anyone else here tried to have the least amount of kills in a playthrough as possible? I'm playing NYMH and even though I know that's why I haven't completed it, I keep trying to shoot guys in extremities only, through the forearm, in the foot, shins, etc. Really like the animation of them rolling around and reaching for the injured body part. I'll probably start a single player Old School playthrough to keep the conflicting systems out of my head.

Raptomex

I've been playing through the game on each difficulty. I skipped "hardcore" and went right to "old school". When I beat it will I get the achievement for "hardcore" mode?

OCDuty

Neo Member
I've been playing through the game on each difficulty. I skipped "hardcore" and went right to "old school". When I beat it will I get the achievement for "hardcore" mode?

Nope, but you shouldn't worry. I did the same. Old school feels like a nod to fans of the series while hardcore is more difficult; bullet time runs out more quickly, and more realistic damage (head shots will kill you).

Raptomex

Nope, but you shouldn't worry. I did the same. Old school feels like a nod to fans of the series while hardcore is more difficult; bullet time runs out more quickly, and more realistic damage (head shots will kill you).
I thought it just progressivly more difficult. So hardcore is even harder?

Dave_6

OMG I cannot for the life of me get this game to work on my PC. I am at my fucking wits end with this thing. I have even deleted the entire game and reinstalled it TWICE and it still won't work. It will launch, go the title screen where it says press enter to start and won't do anything. I get a 'pop up' for a few seconds about Social Club and pressing OK to tie my accounts together but the mouse arrow disappears behind it so I can't click anything. I bought this game along with GTA IV and LA Noire Thursday afternoon and still haven't been able to play it. WTF?

Actually another thing is Friday night I was getting the pop up to sign in to Social Club but it kept hanging up after I signed in and wouldn't go past that. Now it is just doing the above.

Nabs

OMG I cannot for the life of me get this game to work on my PC. I am at my fucking wits end with this thing. I have even deleted the entire game and reinstalled it TWICE and it still won't work. It will launch, go the title screen where it says press enter to start and won't do anything. I get a 'pop up' for a few seconds about Social Club and pressing OK to tie my accounts together but the mouse arrow disappears behind it so I can't click anything. I bought this game along with GTA IV and LA Noire Thursday afternoon and still haven't been able to play it. WTF?

Actually another thing is Friday night I was getting the pop up to sign in to Social Club but it kept hanging up after I signed in and wouldn't go past that. Now it is just doing the above.

mouse cursor issue: http://steamcommunity.com/app/204100/discussions/0/828937979265884354/

Montresor

I thought it just progressivly more difficult. So hardcore is even harder?

Here's how I felt the difficulties played:

Easy: Standard easy mode
Normal: Standard normal mode
Hard: Standard hard mode

Each of the above difficulties are self-explanatory

Old School: A special Hard mode with no Last Man Standing (i.e. your painkillers will not be automatically consumed when you're near death - you will instead instantly die)

Hardcore: One step above Hard mode. Think Veteran or Insanity from Gears/COD/Mass Effect. But Last Man Standing is allowed, so some people may find this harder than Old School depending on how often they utilize the Last Man Standing feature

New York Minute: Timed Normal mode with no deaths allowed in one chapter
New York Minute Hardcore: Timed Normal mode with no deaths allowed in the whole game

Raptomex

Yeah I'm on the final mission of Old School. When I'm done I guess I'll go back and do hardcore. I don't know if I will New York Minute. At least not NYM Hardcore. Sounds tedious.

MadOnion

Neo Member
Finally got Max Payne 3 but noticed that cover art is kinda censored.
My copy has a girl in a shirt with a long sleeves. I feel sorry for her, it must be hot and sticky and she's probably an outcast in her favela.

So what's the story behind this cover art change?

BCnMu6b.jpg

MadOnion

Neo Member
Oh wow. Where are you from?
In the middle of Russia. Game is PAL and back side says "Made in EU" and "Not for supply in the UK".

I'm starting to remember that I've seen this edited girl in some newspost long time ago, but Google gives nothing.

Sojgat

Finished all the sp grinds on 360 and now the game wont load. It just keeps endlessly loading the screenshot load screens, gets up to 11 and then just hangs forever. Everything else on the console works fine. Anybody else experience this?

Gui_PT

In the middle of Russia. Game is PAL and back side says "Made in EU" and "Not for supply in the UK".

I'm starting to remember that I've seen this edited girl in some newspost long time ago, but Google gives nothing.

That sucks. At least she looks nice in that shirt.

Finished all the sp grinds on 360 and now the game wont load. It just keeps endlessly loading the screenshot load screens, gets up to 11 and then just hangs forever. Everything else on the console works fine. Anybody else experience this?

I remember having that problem one time, just stuck in a loading screen. I think I had to pick another chapter til that one loaded and then things seemed to work properly.

Sojgat

Seems the fix was to delete all the add ons and updates. Lucky since it was the on demand version which took me around 5 hours to download.

Edit. Nope. The save didn't work. Had to delete the whole thing and play off the disk for it to work. Lame...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Seems the fix was to delete all the add ons and updates. Lucky since it was the on demand version which took me around 5 hours to download.

Edit. Nope. The save didn't work. Had to delete the whole thing and play off the disk for it to work. Lame...

Tell me about it. I lost my damn save. Grrr. Same problem with RDR, too.

Sorry to brought up an old thread, but does this game has any kind of 5.1 surround or anything? There is two surround option I can see: surround side and surround rear, which one should I use?

Top Bottom