• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather-Pacquiao set for March 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrick

my money is on mayweather.. but my heart's on manny.

either way, probably the greatest thing to happen in 2010. period.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Speevy said:
As long as Manny can stop Floyd from doing that Matrix stuff I'll be happy.
Even if Manny gets through the Matrix haxorz, Floyd might still rage quit:

pacquiaohattonquit.jpg

BIVIANO!

VindicatorZ said:
EDIT: I also just noticed that Bernard Hopkins vs Roy Jones Jr is schedules for March 13. If that fight does happen, how fucking awsome would it be if it was the undercard for Pacquiao/Mayweather? I have never seen a boxing fight in my life with an actually GOOD undercard. This would rival what UFC does with it's cards where you get usually 4 or 5 really good fights. Especially with UFC 100 where we had 2 megaton fights with GSP vs Thiago Alves and Lesnar vs Mir. I know this will probably not happen, but in reality, Jones vs Hopkins wouldn't even be on PPV anyways. It would make the event that much bigger.
The fight is in doubt after Jones lost to Danny Green last night, as it was a condition of their agreement that he beat Green.

UNDERSTAR

Banned
Its about damn time this fight is gonna happen. All I can tell you, its gonna be one big party for the boxing during that weekend. GO PACQUAO, FUCK MAYWEATHER UP LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!

smoothj

fight of the decade for sure...

I love betting against Pacquiao since I have lots of Filipino friends (even my girl is flip) that hug his nuts like he's the messiah. I always lose the bet but I'm pretty sure Floyd will punch Pacquiao's mustache off haha

Don't like Pacman since he beats up on my Mexican boxers

Screw you Mexicutioner, you goin down.

Darkman M

r3d panda said:
fight of the decade for sure...

I love betting against Pacquiao since I have lots of Filipino friends (even my girl is flip) that hug his nuts like he's the messiah. I always lose the bet but I'm pretty sure Floyd will punch Pacquiao's mustache off haha

Don't like Pacman since he beats up on my Mexican boxers

Screw you Mexicutioner, you goin down.

126aa69.jpg

Sorry i had to do it.:lol

btrick said:
my money is on mayweather.. but my heart's on manny.

either way, probably the greatest thing to happen in 2010. period.

kinda how I feel. I hope Manny is able to execute his style and gameplan because I think it'd make for the most exciting fight (and to see how Floyd would react) but my head tells me PBF is just too damn good.

qcf x2

Pacquiao got this. He's just too fierce. Plus he's hungry. He wanted this fight for a long time. Mayweather, not so much.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Freddie Roach - March 13 date too fast a turnaround:

The reported progress in negotiations to stage a super-fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao are tempered by the fact Pacquiao hasn't yet reviewed contractual details that Mayweather has apparently initially OK'd, Pacquiao's trainer told The Times today.

"Of course," Freddie Roach said in a telephone conversation from Europe, "Manny believes he should get a 60-40 [purse] split too, because he did better in pay-per-view than Mayweather this year. Manny's the bigger draw."

The Times reported Tuesday night that a source familiar with the process who declined to be identified because he's not authorized to speak about the negotiations said there are strong indications that Mayweather has agreed in principle to some contractual details. Yahoo! Sports and ESPN.com reported, respectively, earlier Tuesday that the fight is "is all but set," and that Mayweather had "agreed to terms for the welterweight title bout."

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum departed for the Philippines on Tuesday night for a previously scheduled trip to meet Pacquiao. Arum was not immediately available for comment today.

Roach said his agent, Nick Khan, told him "Arum had a [Mayweather] deal together" when he left the U.S. "That's all I know."

Roach said he remains uncertain if the fight has to be fought March 13 because of Pacquiao's planned run for a congressional seat in the Philippines in May. Arum and HBO, which will televise the bout, if it occurs, on pay-per-view, prefer a May 1 date.

Roach wants the later date too.

"March 13 is too fast a turnaround," said Roach. "Manny has a broken
eardrum" suffered in his Nov. 14 TKO victory over welterweight Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas. "I'd like to have more time. I hope the fight happens, yes, but I want us to be in the best possible shape."​

Whoever wins not only wins a shitload of money, but also cements their place as a top 15 fighter of all time, in my eyes.

This is going to place either man up there with the Monzons and Haglers and Ali's!

Can't wait.

Expecting Floyd to win, dude just hasn't been touched in like years, I can't see him losing.

bionic77

Ninja Scooter said:
kinda how I feel. I hope Manny is able to execute his style and gameplan because I think it'd make for the most exciting fight (and to see how Floyd would react) but my head tells me PBF is just too damn good.
Mayweather is just going to dance away and control the fight with his legs. Pacman's handspeed won't help him if he can't get close.

I really want Pacman to win but I just don't see how he will be able to get close enough to do damage and Floyd is way too smart (i.e. pussy) to every try and fight that way, especially not with Pac.

Wark

Awesome! I can't wait for this fight.

I can't stand Mayweather whatsoever and my family and I are huge Pacquiao fans (I'm half Filipino), so you'll know who I'm cheering for. Pac-Man all the way!

For all the talks of Floyd ducking, it seems that Pac-man is the one being difficult now. After the elections? Man, what if Floyd said he was running for mayor of LA or some shit? People would be all over his ass about this.

harSon

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
For all the talks of Floyd ducking, it seems that Pac-man is the one being difficult now. After the elections? Man, what if Floyd said he was running for mayor of LA or some shit? People would be all over his ass about this.

It's a matter of love and hate, people like Pacquiao and hate Mayweather.

bionic77

harSon said:
It's a matter of love and hate, people like Pacquiao and hate Mayweather.
Does anyone like Mayweather? The guy is always acting like a huge asshole.

Everyone wants to see Pacquiao knock his ass out.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Liara T'Soni said:

Of course they would. Arum said that Manny was going to be fighting in March now Floyd says yes, all of a sudden, they can't fight. Manny and his camp got their cards pulled.

Agent Icebeezy

bionic77 said:

I don't, I love Mayweather. Boxer beats a fighter nearly every time. UD for Floyd and this is easy to call.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
bionic77 said:

yeah he's an asshole but he backs it up so he's not as bad as some.

I atill wanna see Pacquiao knock him the fuck out :lol

thirty

Banned
I think the Mayweather camp called the Pacman camp's bluff and agreed to a March date. Now Roach is scared and thinking he needs more time. The same Roach that said he only needed 10 weeks now needs more time. I don't think Pac needs more time, it's Roach who needs more time to play mental games with Mayweather, trying to call him out so he can trade with Pac.

Agent Icebeezy

thirty said:
I think the Mayweather camp called the Pacman camp's bluff and agreed to a March date. Now Roach is scared and thinking he needs more time. The same Roach that said he only needed 10 weeks now needs more time. I don't think Pac needs more time, it's Roach who needs more time to play mental games with Mayweather, trying to call him out so he can trade with Pac.

One of Mayweather's best qualities is that he's never rattled and never strays from the gameplan. This is spot on. Not my work, taken here.

He hurt Corrales and dropped him 3x in round 7. Then came back in round 8 and still boxed and did his thing. Didn't overpursue or show discouragement that chico was still there.

He put Corley down with the repeated rights (overhand). But didn't want to overuse them so that Chop could time them and counter.

He hurt Gatti in rounds 4, 5, and 6. Especially what he did in early in round 6. He just skipped back to the corner, knowing the KO would come. Buddy calledit off, though.

He was punishing Zab in the corners and sensed the KO coming. Zab administered the vasectomy, and to Floyd;s credit, he was the only cool head in the house. Came back in round 11 with his gameplan. Contrast that with how aggy that Martinez came out after the Cintron pseudo-KO.

FMJ thought he had Hatton gone at the end of round 8. Was killing Ricky in the corner, and I actually thought the ref was gonna step in. Ricky threw a punch, FM stepped back, and the bell sounded. But he came out in round 9 jabbing to RESET the table. He didn't overcommit or get discouraged.

He caught Marquez with that nice lead left hook in round 2. when marquez got up, floyd went in for the test, but JMM hit Floyd witha two-piece and FM backed off and reset. Again in round 11, he was punishing JMM (which was when Eric was calling for a stoppage). JMM weathered, and Floyd came out patient in round 12.

Mayweather to a UD is one of the easiest things in the world to call.

thirty

Banned
I completely agree about Mayweather but that still won't stop Roach and Pac's camp from trying to trash Mayweather's style of boxing to try to win over public opinion and the judges when the decision comes down.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Im ready for this... and yes I will buy tickets and get people together and make a weekend out of this...

March is plenty of time. Roach needs to shut his trap now that he got called out. Work on training your fighter, not your mouth and excuses. Can't wait for this PPV.

Agent Icebeezy

Manny Pacquiao believes the biggest potential fight in boxing will never happen because Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants no part of him.

Pacquiao is training in Hollywood for his meeting with Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 in Las Vegas, but the pound-for-pound champion spared a moment Thursday to evaluate his chances of fighting Mayweather, the unbeaten pay-per-view king. Although the matchup almost certainly would be a financial bonanza for both fighters, Pacquiao thinks fans shouldn't hold their breath.

"I don't think it's going to happen," Pacquiao said. "I'm sure he doesn't want to fight."

Mayweather has been circumspect about his plans for his next bout, saying only that he has never ducked anybody and would consider any opponent. In his comeback bout from a 21-month layoff, Mayweather demolished Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 in a fight that generated more than 1 million pay-per-view buys.

Mayweather's advisers claim they haven't ruled out a bout with Pacquiao, likely among the world's few fighters who could match Money's speed. But the Filipino champion has surprisingly strong opinions about why it won't happen.

"Boxing for him is like a business," Pacquiao said. "He doesn't care about the people around him watching. He doesn't care if the fight is boring, as long as the fight is finished and he gets [plenty of] money. ... I want people to be happy. You have a big responsibility as a boxer."

If Mayweather and Pacquiao don't make a deal, Sugar Shane Mosley has been outspoken in his desire to fight Mayweather, even calling him out in the ring moments after his victory over Marquez. Mosley is slated to meet welterweight champion Andre Berto in Las Vegas in January.

After arriving in California last Saturday, Pacquiao has been ramping up his training regimen this week while also battling jet lag that forced him to sleep for about 20 hours on Wednesday, wiping out a day of training. Because of tax issues, Pacquiao's camp began in Manila and moved to Hollywood later than trainer Freddie Roach usually prefers.

"I'm not worried about it, because he's always known how to block everything out," Roach said. "If anybody can do it, he can."

Pacquiao looked fairly sharp while sparring 11 rounds Thursday at Roach's Wild Card Gym in front of a small group of spectators including Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest and his father, Ron Sr., both avid boxing fans and Pacquiao admirers.

Pacquiao will spar 12 rounds on Saturday before gradually scaling back in preparation for his trip to Las Vegas to meet Cotto, the once-beaten welterweight champion whose combination of size and strength will be unlike anything the former flyweight champion has faced. Cotto is in camp in Tampa. Fla., before traveling to the West Coast next week.

"I consider this one of the hardest fights in my boxing career," Pacquiao said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4607169

BobLoblaw

Banned
Yeah, I think the bigger odds for this is that the two even fight at all, much less in March. I've NEVER payed for a fight before, but I'd definitely consider it for this one.

thirty

Banned
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4715684

Manny Pacquiao has signed a contract to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in boxing's biggest fight on March 13, a source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com on Friday night.

Mayweather

Pacquiao
Pacquiao and promotor Bob Arum met for two hours Friday to discuss the proposed deal, according to Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz, who told The Associated Press that "Manny has some additional requirements, requests, which Arum didn't think was a problem.

"The requests of Manny were so realistic that Arum doesn't feel it's a problem and it's pretty much a done deal," Koncz said.

Later Friday it became a done deal, at least on the Pacquiao side, when he signed the paperwork, the source said.

Mayweather had previously agreed to terms with Golden Boy Promotions, his promoter for the HBO PPV fight, but it was unclear if he had signed a contract.

The source also disclosed other aspects of the fight, which will take place at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds for Pacquiao's title and match the top two fighters in the world, pound-for-pound.

The camps agreed to a 50-50 split of the money, which could be gargantuan. Many experts expect the fight to eclipse the all-time pay-per-view record for sales, which is the 2.44 million buys generated by Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya.

Both fighters will wear 8-ounce gloves but each fighter will be allowed to select the brand of gloves he will wear for the fight.

For promotional purposes, the bout will be referred to as Mayweather-Pacquiao, but Top Rank will receive first billing over Golden Boy throughout the promotion.

However, instead of a full-scale media tour, there will only be a single press conference in New York during the second week of January. With the schedule compressed because of the March 13 date for the fight, rather than May 1, which the promoters and HBO PPV preferred, it didn't leave time for a lengthy media tour.

The fight is going to take place March 13 because Pacquiao is running for a congressional seat in the Philippines and the elections are in May, which would have been a conflict between his training and the campaign.

Pacquiao will spend the first half of his training camp in Baguio in the Philippines, where he also trained for the first part of his camp in preparation for his 12th-round knockout victory against Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14. For the final few weeks of his training, Pacquiao and trainer Freddie Roach will relocate to Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif.

The site of the bout has not been finalized. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has expressed interest in bringing the fight to his new stadium as have representatives from the Superdome in New Orleans. Also in the mix is the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, which has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather bouts. Arum has also received a proposal for a 30,000-seat temporary stadium on the Las Vegas Strip across from the Wynn resort.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

thirty

Banned
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4729058

For unspecified reasons, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, is out of the running to host the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather super fight, Top Rank's Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Arum, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who will co-promote the nearly finalized fight, and HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg were supposed to meet with Cowboys officials at the stadium on Wednesday for a tour of the facility and to talk with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones about a site fee for the fight.

However, Arum said he received a call from Schaefer on Tuesday night canceling the trip.

"Richard called me last night and said he won't go to Texas," Arum said. "And I told him to call Ross and tell him. And then I called Ross and said, 'You don't want me to go if he's not going. If Jerry Jones offers me money for the fight what is Pacquiao going to do? Go in the ring alone?' Schaefer just said, 'I'm not going to Texas. I'm not going to do the fight in Texas. I'm not going to waste my time.' That's the explanation."

Arum said he asked why and Schaefer's response was, "'The fight is March 13 and there isn't enough time to do a fight at an outdoor stadium.' It's bizarre, but that's what he said. I reminded him [that the stadium has a retractable roof]. He said it doesn't matter. I am not going to theorize. I'm just telling you what happened."

The Cowboys declined to comment when reached by ESPNDallas.com on Wednesday.

Arum, who turned 78 on Tuesday, was having a dinner party for his birthday at his Las Vegas home and was planning to leave at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"I was planning to get up early and then the bombshell happened," Arum said. "Richard called and that's where we are. He may have a real good reason why he wouldn't consider Dallas. The reason he gave me, frankly, makes no sense. Maybe he has another reason that he didn't articulate it to me. But we had airline tickets booked and the three of us planned to rendezvous in Dallas and then go out to the stadium."

Jones is interested in bringing big events to his new stadium -- which could seat as many as 100,000 for a fight -- and landing Pacquiao-Mayweather was one he had in mind.

Greenburg, who was in his office in New York when reached Wednesday, had no comment. The fight will be televised on HBO PPV.

Schaefer wouldn't address the reasons he called off the trip to Texas, telling ESPN.com, "This is a fight our side wants and we are working very hard to finalize it. The next time you hear from us is when we have a signed deal or the negotiations have fallen apart. I want to get a deal done and once a deal is done then we will be available for comments. Until then, there is no comment from our side."

There has been interest from other venues, including the Superdome in New Orleans, although Las Vegas, specifically the MGM Grand, is believed to be the front-runner to host what many believe will be the richest fight in boxing history. The MGM, which has a close relationship with Golden Boy and Top Rank, has hosted several Pacquiao and Mayweather bouts, including their most recent fights -- Mayweather's shutout decision of Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 and Pacquiao's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14.

The Miami Dolphins are also interested in hosting the fight at Land Shark Stadium, going so far as to send out e-mails to their season-ticket holders to gauge their interest in buying tickets for the event.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Looks like the fight will happen in Vegas. Kinda sad that it won't happen in a stadium that seats 100K.

thirty

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
You guys do realize we have a pretty active boxing discussion thread right?
this is a megafight that deserves its own thread. the biggest boxing fight in decades and you wanna mix pacman/pbf talk with guys like danny green? no no no, this gets its own thread.

thirty said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4729058

Looks like the fight will happen in Vegas. Kinda sad that it won't happen in a stadium that seats 100K.
Dallas would've been nice, but Vegas always works so well for these fights...so many ways for people to plan, party, and celebrate for the fight weekend in the Vegas strip area for visitors instead of having to extensively travel in a metro area of another city.

In other words it's easy to just go across the street from the fight at MGM to Manny's post-fight party at Mandalay Bay instead of having to go from Cowboys Stadium to who-knows-where in Dallas :lol

thirty said:
this is a megafight that deserves its own thread. the biggest boxing fight in decades and you wanna mix pacman/pbf talk with guys like danny green? no no no, this gets its own thread.

Fair enough, I certainly don't mind more hype for the fight :D.

slider

From a quick skim of the first page it seems voting is largely for Pac-man? Hmm, I'm thinking Pretty Boy on points.

So excited. If I can convince my mate to come along too I'm gonna go. I guess I should start looking into it now though.

thirty

Banned
i read that the fighters will split the whopping 100 million dollars this fight will generate. 25 each now, another 25 after the fight. that's just astonishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom