• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds in LA now charging people .10 cents for their food in a bag

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They always charge an extra 0.01 for a paper straw at Burguer King. Probably my fault for going to such a shitty place lol, but I think it's fair.

You could pay those extra 0.10, or just go with your own bag and put the food there.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

It’s 25 cents for any bag where I live because of the city council. I hate it. I live on the border of the municipality and just my business across the line. You also are required to request cutlery and napkins or they can’t give them out. It’s brutal.

LimanimaPT

This has been happening in Portugal for ages now and it's not just McDonalds. I'm ok with that, bring your bag I don't see any problem with that.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s 25 cents for any bag where I live because of the city council. I hate it. I live on the border of the municipality and just my business across the line. You also are required to request cutlery and napkins or they can’t give them out. It’s brutal.
Honestly I think it’s a good thing that they only give you cutlery when you ask for it. So many times I get takeout and it has all this extra shit in the bag that I don’t even want and it just goes right in the trash. What’s the point?

Reactions: Fbh
They charge 25 cents I believe here as 'plastic tax' for cups. This is government mandated. To help the environment. Only, companies get to keep that money and there's no supervision on how they spend it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's not just McDonalds. They're following California law SB 270. I thought it was just for grocery stores etc, but it looks like it includes fast food places as well. Hence the 10 cent charge.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Because the idea is to make people aware so some trees can be spared.
Climate Change Mic Drop GIF

bender

What time is it?
Not a big deal, but why not include the extra cost of bags into the menu items without making the customers aware?

It seems silly.

Could be government regulation. Colorado doesn't allow plastic bags from stores anymore and grocery stores will charge you for paper bags. Styrofoam cups have been nixed too.

Trogdor1123

Honestly I think it’s a good thing that they only give you cutlery when you ask for it. So many times I get takeout and it has all this extra shit in the bag that I don’t even want and it just goes right in the trash. What’s the point?
I agree that there times it makes sense but if you order a soup or a salad or whatever and forget to ask you are sol.

Also, napkins being request only is ridiculous

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Could be government regulation. Colorado doesn't allow plastic bags from stores anymore and grocery stores will charge you for paper bags. Styrofoam cups have been nixed too.
Yeah 100% this is a tax on single use packaging to reduce the amount of waste generated. The cost of paper bags to McDonald’s is a rounding error, totally negligible.

I get trying to reduce waste but I don’t understand why they’re targeting paper. Is anybody going to bring their own cloth bag from home to put their greasy McDonald’s shit in so they can save 10 cents?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
They charge 25 cents I believe here as 'plastic tax' for cups. This is government mandated. To help the environment. Only, companies get to keep that money and there's no supervision on how they spend it.

Jup, I tend to skip drinks now. Fuck that. First paper straws now this nonsense.

8bitpill

Food that has been garbage since the 60's.

Terrible business practice for 50 plus years, food that is just slightly edible, and the health issues that come with eating something of this caliber daily should tell you to just not bother with this franchise.

PKyLcM.gif

calistan

Seems fair enough to me, make people aware of the waste they're creating.

McDonalds is a scourge. I see McDonalds packaging everywhere, miles from any actual McDonalds.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Seems fair enough to me, make people aware of the waste they're creating.

McDonalds is a scourge. I see McDonalds packaging everywhere, miles from any actual McDonalds.
Man what paradise do you live where you can go an entire mile and NOT see the golden arches?

Just make a pocket out of your shirt and carry things. Super hot and sweaty, but it's your own sweat dripping on the food so it's safe.

Atrus

Gold Member
They’ve done this in several cities in Canada. Mine repealed it after a massive blowback that will eventually see the entire city council get their ass kicked at the next election. It pissed off the businesses, it pissed off customers, and it was a poor environmental initiative.

Bag fees overall are a fucking stupid idea thought up by idiots who have no right breathing.

Not only did the “fee” just go toward added profits, it increased the cost of living during a time where cost of living is at the top of the agenda. Instead of doing the hard work of regulating the packaging industry to reduce waste, increase compostability and recycling, etc. Politicians just ran toward the easiest thing they know how to do, squeezing people for money and hoping for the best.

it's just another greenwashing policy that serves no purpose other than more profits for business. First they went after plastic bags because they wanted people to buy reusable ones and they couldn't go after plastic bottles without pissing off the big beverage companies, which is way worse than bags.

Where I live the city did this for cups. A 25c "environmental" cup fee that doesn't go back to the city. The business keeps all of it. It was extremely stupid and thankfully didn't last long as the idiots behind it got destroyed in the next election.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tangential but: there’s a lot of talk over how pricey mcdonalds has gotten, but today I got a cheeseburger, mcdouble, and a mcchicken for $5 with the app. Its tasty (if you get it ‘fresh’ before lunch rush) and cheap food. Not good for fitnesss/health but it absolutely does still have convenience and low price.

YCoCg

This has been a thing in the UK for years now, it's called the plastic bag tax, but eventually stores just started charging the same for paper bags too.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
McDonalds in the Netherlands charges for every condiment you want. I want a full stuffed hand of ketchup damn it.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Tangential but: there’s a lot of talk over how pricey mcdonalds has gotten, but today I got a cheeseburger, mcdouble, and a mcchicken for $5 with the app. Its tasty (if you get it ‘fresh’ before lunch rush) and cheap food. Not good for fitnesss/health but it absolutely does still have convenience and low price.

I aint using no fastfood app

Ikutachi

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Cyberpunkd

Where I am we have a city mandated 25 cent bag fee on all paper bags and $2 for a reusable bag.

The city doesn't collect this money so the restaurants gets to keep it.
TBH all these are in fact designed to make people carry their own reusable bags and thus not buying extra bags in the store.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's not just McDonalds. They're following California law SB 270. I thought it was just for grocery stores etc, but it looks like it includes fast food places as well. Hence the 10 cent charge.

Nope that only applies to retail stores over 10,000 sqft

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

IMG-6849.png

These apps are universally widespread now across every fast food chain. Its just money left on the table if you don’t use them :) Some are better than others. Whataburger and Chipotle for example are a very slow grind for points. Taco Bell points rack up at a pretty quick pace but there’s not many actual deals there since the food is already cheap. Subway gives 20% off out like candy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'd rather they come up with an actual solution to save the environment, rather than forcing customers to buy indulgence for their climate sins while pocketing the money for extra profit.
I sort of agree with you, but I approve of charging for bags and packaging.

I'd just make the bag $/£5. People would get used to bringing their own bag really quickly.

Top Bottom