• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's testing new Chicken McNuggets recipe with no artificial preservatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...lds-plans-to-launch-cleaner-chicken-mcnuggets

McDonald's is testing a new cleaner-label version of its Chicken McNuggets it hopes to expand nationwide in time for the 2016 Summer Olympics, sources confirmed to Crain's.

The test, which launched in early March in about 140 McDonald's restaurants in southwest Washington state and metropolitan Portland, Ore., features a revamped nugget made with what the chain says is a “simpler recipe” that does away with artificial preservatives. The new recipe contains ingredients McDonald's says are more recognizable to consumers, such as lemon juice solids and rice starch.

McDonald's declined to provide the full list of ingredients for the overhauled McNuggets. The current recipe listed on the McDonald's website contains 32 individual ingredients, a figure that includes the oil in which the product is fried.

New packaging and in-store and social media advertisements also spotlight that the new recipe does not include any artificial colors or flavors, even though the current McNugget recipe does not use such ingredients.

Three sources familiar with the Oak Brook-based company's plans say it is preparing for a nationwide rollout of the “clean-label” McNuggets just before the start of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 5.

Becca Hary, a McDonald's spokeswoman, declined to confirm the product is slated for a national rollout this summer.
“This is very much a test,” she said. Hary also said customers in the Pacific Northwest test market “have responded favorably” to the new recipe, noting, “More than ever, customers care about where their food comes from and how it is prepared.” Still, she said, “We're not making any announcement.”

dXGNbHz.jpg

DJ_Lae

Does that mean it'll be the same sort of 'natural' thing that's been floating around in processed meats for a while? IE, they just use celery extract instead of sodium nitrate...even though, chemically, they're the same damn thing.

SRG01

Their nuggets have preservatives? That's a surprise, since their burger meat has no preservatives as far as I know.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Does that mean it'll be the same sort of 'natural' thing that's been floating around in processed meats for a while? IE, they just use celery extract instead of sodium nitrate...even though, chemically, they're the same damn thing.

pretty much. it's just a marketing gimmick.

womp

Wendy's nuggets are 20 for $5 too and have always been the best of the big three IMO.

Very tasty.

I haven't eaten McDonald's nuggets since they launched them over 30 years ago. It was a big media deal at the time and given that I thought they sucked even back then (I was 10 and I knew what fine fast food dining was), I have had no reason to justify them ever again.

What's wrong with preservatives?

Not a thing, they are how I maintain a youthful vigor.

Toki767

Wendy's nuggets are 20 for $5 too and have always been the best of the big three IMO.

Very tasty.

I haven't eaten McDonald's nuggets since they launched them over 30 years ago. It was a big media deal at the time and given that I thought they sucked even back then (I was 10 and I knew what fine fast food dining was), I have had no reason to justify them ever again.

They're 4 for $1.19 here.

Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets are the best though.

McDonalds needs spicy chicken mcnuggets.

Alexlf

You're missing the point McDonalds. I don't eat there because I want the freshest, preservative free, non-reconstituted chicken nuggets. I eat there because I want extremely cheap, greasy, delicious food.

Lkr

New packaging and in-store and social media advertisements also spotlight that the new recipe does not include any artificial colors or flavors, even though the current McNugget recipe does not use such ingredients.
what am i missing? what is different about these?

womp

They're 4 for $1.19 here.

Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets are the best though.

McDonalds needs spicy chicken mcnuggets.

Yes, they are the same price here as well 4 for $1.19, but, if you look closer you SHOULD see they have the 20 for $5 too. They have offered that 'bundle' for a few years now here in the Philly area. My wife, son and I will split them for a lunch break once in a while. My wife adores Wendy's nuggets.

Next time you stop by, ask them about that. :)

When I was younger I used to prefer BK nuggets, but then Chicken Selects came out and never looked back.

well they're gone now but I don't get nuggets at fast food places anymore

I do enjoy the McD nuggets, but what I really disliked was those stupid "Mighty Wings" they were pushing for a while. They were terrible.

d99ccfb5eefba09880fd02fce3135d2f02347f19.jpg

As for "no preservatives" ...cool I guess. They are horrible for you either way so I don't really see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom