• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's to 'rethink' prices after sales fall

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I keep hearing justification for this like "the cost of labor is going up" or "the cost of ingredients are going up", but this doesn't make sense to me.

I went to Japan for a while a few months ago, and went to the McDonalds there several times and was blown away. The store was incredibly clean, there were 12-14 staff members working at any given time, they had kiosks, but nobody used them because there were 2–3 lines open at the counter. Food was brought to your table, and I don't recall waiting more than five minutes any time. Once I got take out there, and it was all meticulously packaged - the drinks were placed into the foam things they usually use for the drive-in, and placed in a bag separate from the food - which was then placed next to the bag of food, and all of THAT was placed in a larger plastic carrying bag. Everyone working there seemed to enjoy working there and were always helpful and courteous.

The kicker for all this was that the food was incredibly cheap. The Big Mac meal with fries and a drink was ¥750, approximately $5 USD. Granted, their "large" is about the size of a US small or medium, but the burger was the same size. The beef patties were not paper thin. The ingredients were all mostly sourced domestically in Japan. Most of the chemicals used in the food in the US are banned there. After 5PM they start their menu where you can get "double meat" on any sandwich for only a little extra. The 倍ビッグマック セット (double big mac meal) was ¥950, or about $6.50 USD and looks like this

800028-Bai-Big-Mac-Set.m.webp

That's the stock photo. Here's a photo I took of this beast:

IG6FY4K.png

It wasn't the best burger I had in Japan, but it was definitely the best McDonalds experience I've had in years and years, maybe since the 90s. The place was always doing a steady business and I doubt they're in jeopardy of going under any time soon because they aren't charging enough. If McDonalds Japan can make that a reality using better ingredients for lower prices, why not here in the States?

This thing was amazing and also cheap:

LaSJbKo.png
Never been to Japan.

But comparing to Japanese culture and companies is kind of unfair since the norm is super nice and clean people and businesses. Compare that to the typical dumpy McDs or Walmart in US or Canada with lazy drop outs and slobs who are both worker and customer.

I remember reading the Japanese bullet trains or subways are super fast, efficient and rarely late. That's their norm. Compare that to a North American train system where each line every day is probably late at some point during the day. And half the stations are dirty. That's their norm.

Last edited:

Pigenator

Who would've thought making your prices as high as literal restaurants would drive customers away.
Know your place, you damn clown

Tams

Everything there is absolutely shit (especially the burgers) except for the fries and the Big Mac relish (not the burger itself though).

Which was fine when it was cheap as chips, but it isn't anymore.

I'm not surprised that it has not increased relatively in price with inflation as much, as they need to keep the prices low.

The issue is, and it's not McDonald's fault, that at least in the UK people's wages haven't gone up with inflation anywhere near enough. So £5 for Maccie D's shit is now less appealing.

//DEVIL//

i do not mind eating mcdonald every now and then. but their prices here in Canada is flat out stupid. the double quarter p burger meal with added lettuce and tomato is about the same price as the 5 guys meal.

who the hell in his right mind would pick mcdonald over five guys ( even if it was 2$ cheaper, i would still eat 5 guys burger over that )

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Better burgers at Steak N Shake, Sonic, Wendy's, Applebee's, Longhorn Steakhouse, even friggin Waffle House!

I like the Big Mac but the patties are too small ... I don't like that part.

The fries are AMAZING and their Coca-Cola is El Jefe tier!

Trilobit

I'm honestly glad that the pizzerias and hamburger places have become so expensive. I don't eat at those places anymore. Even if I can afford it I don't like the feeling that I don't get my money's worth so I make my own "trash" food when the cravings set in

I have nothing against the quality of McDonald's. It's childhood comfort food to me. But it's just not a good deal anymore. The closest McDonald's to me has a banh mi place less than 3 minutes walk away. It's bigger than any single sandwich at McDonald's and tastes incredible for a similar price to a Big Mac meal. I just have no reason to pick McDonald's. Not even Happy Meals can lure me back in.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I just googled to find out how much a big mac meal is now, which is what I used to get when I used to eat at McDonald's. A large one is £5.09, apparently.

I did some googling and when they were introduced in 1995 a large value meal was £3.18

Putting that into the bank of England's inflation calculator, £3 in 1995 is £6 in 2024.

So, in a sense a meal is cheaper now than when they first introduced them.

I wonder if this is a case, again, of wages not keeping pace with inflation.
Something with the prices you quoted here don't make any sense with a straight Pound to USD conversion. I haven't been inside a McDonald's in years and even then a Big Mac combo was pushing $10 USD American.

Z O N E

The whole point of McDonalds was that it was extremely cheap.

Right now in the UK, I'll use Sainbury's as an example, I can buy Mince Meat for £3.49 for 500g or £4.99 for 750g. With that I can make more than 1 burger AND with my air fryer, I can pop in some chips and have some fresh chips too.

Why bother going to McDonalds and spending around the same amount when I can buy the ingredients and make freshly made burgers in the comfort of my own home?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Something with the prices you quoted here don't make any sense with a straight Pound to USD conversion. I haven't been inside a McDonald's in years and even then a Big Mac combo was pushing $10 USD American.

Well, 30 years ago, a medium Big Mac Meal was indeed £2.88 and McDonald's would offer to make the drink and fries large for 30p extra.

I can't find a UK ad, but This is a 1995 ad for Ireland and is 7p different to my quoted price:

Reddit thinks that some areas in the us were paying what you're quoting in the 90s while other areas got it much cheaper as per the menu photographed here where a big Mac meal is $2.99.

But, I don't know about that, but I can remember a £2.88 value meal in the UK.

As for current pricing, it's actually more difficult to find out what McDonald's are charging than you might expect. There's a few sites claiming various prices. So I installed the McDonald's app. A Big Mac Meal is £6.39/7.09 (medium/large). That doesn't appear to be a deal or special price for the app.

If I was passing one I'd be tempted to go in and check, but I'd be worried that I'd look like I'd lost it when I said "oh, I'm not ordering, thanks, I'm just checking the menu prices to do some historical price to current price comparison from both sides of the Atlantic to discuss inflation on a video game forum..." 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom