• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Eteric Rice

Johann said:
Versus seems to be a huge problem for Square-Enix. It needs a lot of manpower to get it off the ground and show some real progress but FFXIII needs every bit of the company's resources (it even cannibalized some of the Versus team already) since it is the company main attraction next to a Dragon Quest main entry. It wouldn't be surprising to see Versus become a multi-platform title like FFXIII.

As for a Wii version, I'd actually think that silly fake "Square-Enix insider" list with its "Versus is now a CGI movie" is more probable. A lot of Japanese companies (with the notable exception of Capcom) are having trouble transitioning into HD without their logistics going haywire.

I wonder if XIV could potentially come to the Wii. Let's say they pull a FFXII route and try to do something different. I think Motion + could potentially help create an awesome FF game, where you actually interact with enviorments.

I still think they'd do well to get rid of the numbering system and just call them, "Final Fantasy: Add title here."

That way they could make multiple main Final Fantasy games, each suited to a specific platform. Each would have to have a lot of time put into it though.

Pachael

donny2112 said:
Random thoughts of dumb moves by third-parties in regards to Nintendo systems:

Anybody else care to add some more examples?

Harmonix releases Rock Band, a fairly casual guitar/singing/drum game with lots of songs featuring up to 4 people playing and singing their hearts out, only on the PS360.

Activision continues to whore out Guitar Hero to every console out there, and expands successfully to all consoles with World Tour.

As a result Activision steals the music market on the Wii, and has proved to be a great money-maker.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pachael said:
Harmonix releases Rock Band, a fairly casual guitar/singing/drum game with lots of songs featuring up to 4 people playing and singing their hearts out, only on the PS360.

Activision continues to whore out Guitar Hero to every console out there, and expands successfully to all consoles with World Tour.

As a result Activision steals the music market on the Wii, and has proved to be a great money-maker.

wait, what? i mean, I agree that Harmonix dropped the ball with the Wii, but this isn't really an accurate description of HOW they dropped the ball with the Wii.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wii must be truly f***ed if it needs 3rd parties to return to 2007 sales like you guys say.

The Wii needs increased attention from Nintendo a whole lot more than it needs more attention from third-parties. It'd still be good to have both, though.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If Nintendo wants to drive Wii hardware to previous heights, it needs to release more hits like that.

I don't think it needs another Wii Fit. I think it needs more effort on Nintendo's part for promotion and new games hitting both expanded audience and core gamers. Consistent quality releases with marketing pushes > a single tentpole release. And that's actually possible if Nintendo has been holding back like some of us expect for the Motion+ push. I don't like that I have to keep going back to that, though. There's no reason for Nintendo to have let it get this bad in the first place. :/

donny2112 said:

One I thought was weird was putting Phantasy Star Online Episodes I+II on the previously-not-online GameCube, making Episode III a GameCube exclusive, and then making Universe a multiplatform series that's exclusively not on GCN/Wii.

Lightning said:
So Nintendo can't expect 3rd parties to completely redesign their games just to get them to work on the Wii.
Somewhat I did. This is a quote that long stuck with me about how the market leader is worth jumping through hoops for. It's from Jason Rubin, and in regards to PS2 for the most part being technically inferior and harder to work with than the alternatives: "My point is, if the PlayStation 2 is going to sell as many hardware units as the PlayStation 1 sold, then I don't care if I have to pierce my nails with pins to get it to work, I'm going to do it because that's where the money is. And that's the attitude we go into every game with."

D.Lo

donny2112 said:
-Sega leaves the hardware business and begins publishing on other consoles. They immediately single out the Gamecube as a kiddy console, and port over their kid friendly arcade and DC games (Monkey Ball and Sonic). They sell millions. All more 'serious' games (VF, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue etc) are sent to the other systems. VF does well, all their Xbox games flop dramatically.

Instead of giving the flop Xbox games a go on the console they have already had had massive (and only semi-deserved) success on, or fill out gaps in that console's library with games like VF or new IPs, instead they decide that their Gamecube successes were despite the console rather then because of it. Sonic and Monkey Ball go multiplatfom, and the GCN gets nothing in return, except for a game about a baby who wears a chicken suit and collects bouncing eggs.

-Capcom's highest selling game of all time is Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. If you combine in Turbo and SSFII they defined the generation, on a Nintendo system, and made billions of yen.

The next generation begins, and Capcom completely abandons what would likely be huge crossover of traditional Nintendo and Capcom fans by not releasing anything at all on the N64 (until some late generation ports and Disney garbage). Their biggest franchise is semi-gimped by not appearing on the follow-up console to where they had their biggest hit ever by far. Serious fighting fans follow the series on the dying Saturn, but the PS1 can't even handle the games, so the franchise it left to wither. Street Fighter III never hits a leading console quickly enough. Once again, Nintendo fans get the shaft and no release, even though Capcom is supposedly back on good terms with Nintendo.

After years in the wilderness, Capcom decides to develop Street Fighter 4 to be accessible and specifically/brazenly with the goal of re-kindling the memories of their highest selling game, Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. Nintendo has a system selling record amounts based on being accessible and having great local multiplayer. A major feature of the console is its nostagia-based retro download library, and has a cheap and easy to obtain official controller perfect for fighting games. Street Fighter 4 sees no release on the Wii.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
D.Lo said:
-After years in the wilderness, Capcom decides to develop Street Fighter 4 to be accessible and specifically/brazenly with the goal of re-kindling the memories of their highest selling game, Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. Nintendo has a system selling record amounts based on being accessible and having great local multiplayer. A major feature of the console is its nostagia-based retro download library, and has a cheap and easy to obtain official controller perfect for fighting games. Street Fighter 4 sees no release on the Wii.

Yes, I'm still scratching my head on that one. The Wii can handle the graphics. I wonder how many retailers are being asked for SF4 on the Wii? I would imagine quite a lot.

farnham

Banned
Vilix said:
Yes, I'm still scratching my head on that one. The Wii can handle the graphics. I wonder how many retailers are being asked for SF4 on the Wii? I would imagine quite a lot.
and its probably going to happen.. ono said that he wants to port SF IV to any console possible even the gameboy (i think he meant DS though)

D.Lo said:
-Sega leaves the hardware business and begins publishing on other consoles. They immediately single out the Gamecube as a kiddy console, and port over their kid friendly arcade and DC games (Monkey Ball and Sonic). They sell millions. All more 'serious' games (VF, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue etc) are sent to the other systems. VF does well, all their Xbox games flop dramatically.

Instead of giving the flop Xbox games a go on the console they have already had had massive (and only semi-deserved) success on, or fill out gaps in that console's library with games like VF or new IPs, instead they decide that their Gamecube successes were despite the console rather then because of it. Sonic and Monkey Ball go multiplatfom, and the GCN gets nothing in return, except for a game about a baby who wears a chicken suit and collects bouncing eggs.

-Capcom's highest selling game of all time is Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. If you combine in Turbo and SSFII they defined the generation, on a Nintendo system, and made billions of yen.

The next generation begins, and Capcom completely abandons what would likely be huge crossover of traditional Nintendo and Capcom fans by not releasing anything at all on the N64 (until some late generation ports and Disney garbage). Their biggest franchise is semi-gimped by not appearing on the follow-up console to where they had their biggest hit ever by far. Serious fighting fans follow the series on the dying Saturn, but the PS1 can't even handle the games, so the franchise it left to wither. Street Fighter III never hits a leading console quickly enough. Once again, Nintendo fans get the shaft and no release, even though Capcom is supposedly back on good terms with Nintendo.

After years in the wilderness, Capcom decides to develop Street Fighter 4 to be accessible and specifically/brazenly with the goal of re-kindling the memories of their highest selling game, Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo. Nintendo has a system selling record amounts based on being accessible and having great local multiplayer. A major feature of the console is its nostagia-based retro download library, and has a cheap and easy to obtain official controller perfect for fighting games. Street Fighter 4 sees no release on the Wii.

Put in Namco Bandai

They published SC II on three platforms.. the GC one sold the best despite its meager console userbase.. SC III is released on PS2 only and its sales take a dip. Now they release SC IV on 360 and PS3 and give the Wii.. a completely average SC game that is not even a fighting game but an adventure game..

Askia47 said:
Looks everyone wants a Wii version of every game.

As for SF4, how would a Wii version control?
with the Nunchuk addon the GC or the Classic controller i suppose

just like Smash Bros Brawl

the fact that the game is literally unplayable without a GC con didnt stop it from beeing the most popular fighting game of all time..

Lightning said:
It's up to Nintendo to secure themselves these games and their versions. They need to discuss things with 3rd parties and work out something that can work.

They made this bed themselves. They are the ones who decided to radically change the control systems and produce a hardware machine that resembles a last gen system. That was their decision. So Nintendo can't expect 3rd parties to completely redesign their games just to get them to work on the Wii.

Shaun White worked though

the next gen versions tanked

the Wii version sold decently

Askia47 said:
Looks everyone wants a Wii version of every game.

As for SF4, how would a Wii version control?
classic-controller.jpg

or
204940221.jpg

I suppose they'd have to include a 2 button scheme in there, or at least it would be expected for them to.

DNF

D.Lo said:

Strange that sega hasn't released a virtua cop on wii. Is it their best selling/ most-known light-gun-shooter franchise ? and their other shooters seems to sell well.
And Virtua Fighter would maybe also make sense. The only 3d-fighter which is released is castlevania or is there anything else ?

farnham said:
They published SC II on three platforms.. the GC one sold the best despite its meager console userbase..
I think that was a myth based on poor journalism. I remember the discussion because it was based on an interview with someone from the SCII dev team who said the GC version had the highest ratio (as in GC userbase penetration) and most pre-orders, but the PS2 version had the highest totals so the decision to release SC III only on the PS2 was logical.

Askia47

I only played TvC once on a gamecube controller. I don't know how it plays on a wii-mote. A classic controller or wii stick would make sense. But how would you do specials, ultras, or focus attacks with a wii-mote, since not everyone has a classic controller? Just asking, I don't know.

Oh, and I think SF3 didn't hit N64 because it might've taken a performance hit like if it was on PS.

Edit: farnham touched on some points.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Askia47 said:
I only played TvC once on a gamecube controller. I don't know how it plays on a wii-mote. A classic controller or wii stick would make sense. But how would you do specials, ultras, or focus attacks with a wii-mote, since not everyone has a classic controller? Just asking, I don't know.

Everyone has a nunchuk.

D.Lo

Askia47 said:
They could offer some gestural options to allow it to be technically playable, knowing a CC was basically needed. Much like the other fighting games on the system (Smash Bros, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters coming soon etc). The fact that half the VC library is literally completely unplayable without an additional controller means at least a good chunk of Wii owners will have a more traditional controller for the console.

And the thing about the Classic Controller is that it's available in all stores, is cheap, and is first party. The standard PS3 and especially 360 controllers are also bad for fighters, and there isn't even a first party alternative, you have to look in the right places or online for a decent pad or stick.

Oh, and I think SF3 didn't hit N64 because it might've taken a performance hit like if it was on PS.
I meant GCN for SF3. Make available or pack in a fighter pad with the game on GCN and they coulda done a million IMO, just to fighter-starved local multi loving Nintendo fans.

But the N64 could surely have run any CPS2 game fine and without load times, I always thought a full featured Xmen vs Street Fighter on N64 was a serious missed opportunity.

Askia47 said:

Edit: farnham touched on some points.

It's not like the game is playable on the X360 default controller, either.

D.Lo said:
I meant GCN for SF3. Make available or pack in a fighter pad with the game on GCN and they coulda done a million IMO, just to fighter-starved local multi loving Nintendo fans.

But the N64 could surely have run any CPS2 game fine and without load times, I always thought a full featured Xmen vs Street Fighter on N64 was a serious missed opportunity.

A million for SF3 is ridiculous. The GCN pad was terrible for Capcom fighters, and Capcom vs. SNK2 EO, despite having more familiar characters and being a great port, bombed horribly.

I agree though that Xmen vs SF for N64 would've been well received. Should have be more than doable with the RAM expansion and the compression techniques they used for RE2.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wii must be truly fucked if it needs 3rd parties to return to 2007 sales like you guys say. I'd say you're mixing your dreams of getting the games you want with what the Wii actually needs to drive hardware sales.

And that's first party games. Its what drove it in the first place, its what drove DS all along, it is what took like 80% of all total wii software sales.

See highest Nintendo title on this week chart, its Wii Fit. Released in December 2007. If Nintendo wants to drive Wii hardware to previous heights, it needs to release more hits like that. Whether it'd be enough with Wii Sports 2 is still to be seen.

IMO you're basically right. I think there is a certain degree of over analyzing going on- If Wii Music/Animal Crossing performed how Nintendo expected, then everything is fine.

But I do think that better core game type 3rd party support could somewhat help by maybe getting a different type of demographic to buy in.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
See highest Nintendo title on this week chart, its Wii Fit. Released in December 2007. If Nintendo wants to drive Wii hardware to previous heights, it needs to release more hits like that.

This is what I'm saying, though. It's one thing to believe you can drive a system's sales with one or two absolutely brilliant, market-defining titles (Nintendogs, BT, and NSMB in DS' case, Wii Sports and Wii Fit in Wii's case) and another to believe you can keep churning such titles out on an annual basis. Nintendo never put out anything else on the DS that came close to the sales power of their first-18-months lineup; what's to believe that they can buck the trend on Wii?

With the DS, third parties absolutely stepped in to fill things out, to the point where in 2008 the DS was full of third-party successes. I don't think it's rational that they've failed to do the same with Wii, but it doesn't matter what makes sense for third-parties to do, only what you can convince them to do.

Eteric Rice said:
I wonder if XIV could potentially come to the Wii.

No.

schuelma said:
If Wii Music/Animal Crossing performed how Nintendo expected, then everything is fine.

But everyone knew that they wouldn't.

Eteric Rice said:
I wonder if XIV could potentially come to the Wii. Let's say they pull a FFXII route and try to do something different. I think Motion + could potentially help create an awesome FF game, where you actually interact with enviorments.

I still think they'd do well to get rid of the numbering system and just call them, "Final Fantasy: Add title here."

That way they could make multiple main Final Fantasy games, each suited to a specific platform. Each would have to have a lot of time put into it though.

They'll squeeze out Versus and maybe DQX, but that's basically it. This gen has passed SE by. FFXIV is next gen.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So Konami seems intent on totally just screwing WE 2009 Wii...now slated for May :lol

ccbfan

Wow some of these examples are downright ridicules.

Have any fighting game without Nintendo fan service done well on a Nintendo home console since the snes? SF3 doing 1 mil on the GCN? Have you even seen how CVS2 did on the GCN?

IF Capcom did such a great job building the RE franchise on the GCN then why would people purposely wait for the PS2 for an inferior version? Why would people wait for the PS2 version even though there was practically no "fan building" done on th PS2. Oh I know, its probably that making RE on the GCN exclusive was a terrible idea and Capcom failed at forcing their fanbase to the GCN.

Now don't take this as me thinking Capcom should ignore the Wii when it needs to make more Wii games like an RE for Wii, considering low tier Wii REs (ports, side games) are already outforming major titles on the GCN, but please don't make it out as if GCN was some powerhouse in the sale department.

schuelma said:
IMO you're basically right. I think there is a certain degree of over analyzing going on- If Wii Music/Animal Crossing performed how Nintendo expected, then everything is fine.

But I do think that better core game type 3rd party support could somewhat help by maybe getting a different type of demographic to buy in.
Yup, something > nothing, that's sure, but bigger 3rd party support won't certainly drive the system unless it was nearly the whole majority supporting it nearly exclusively, like PS2 was. That picture just isn't happening this generation, even on the DS. Better support may improve the situation slightly, specially on huge front-loaded, core releases (also known as the old 'wait for [x]') but it won't drive the system on a weekly basis.

So the ball is back at Nintendo to output again a consistent lineup of titles that hit both the expanded audience they only seem to reach (in Japan at least) and the old traditional audience that the 3rd parties aren't bringing to the Wii because of their support and the generation scenario.

charlequin said:
This is what I'm saying, though. It's one thing to believe you can drive a system's sales with one or two absolutely brilliant, market-defining titles (Nintendogs, BT, and NSMB in DS' case, Wii Sports and Wii Fit in Wii's case) and another to believe you can keep churning such titles out on an annual basis. Nintendo never put out anything else on the DS that came close to the sales power of their first-18-months lineup; what's to believe that they can buck the trend on Wii?

With the DS, third parties absolutely stepped in to fill things out, to the point where in 2008 the DS was full of third-party successes. I don't think it's rational that they've failed to do the same with Wii, but it doesn't matter what makes sense for third-parties to do, only what you can convince them to do.
Eh, 3rds filled DS but they complemented Nintendo lineup to drive the system but they didn't drive the system by themselves. Nintendo was there all the time, through first 18 months software legs and titles after that. Nintendo has had 32 titles over 200,000 (milestone pulled from ass) after June 2006 on DS, they so far have 3 titles over 200,000 on the Wii after June 2008. On those 32, there aren't any market-defining titles, just their biggest old IP, Pokemon, and a consistent output of titles hitting all targets (for massive damage).

cvxfreak

ccbfan said:
IF Capcom did such a great job building the RE franchise on the GCN then why would people purposely wait for the PS2 for an inferior version? Why would people wait for the PS2 version even though there was practically no "fan building" done on th PS2. Oh I know, its probably that making RE on the GCN exclusive was a terrible idea and Capcom failed at forcing their fanbase to the GCN.

Now don't take this as me thinking Capcom should ignore the Wii when it needs to make more Wii games like an RE for Wii, considering low tier Wii REs (ports, side games) are already outforming major titles on the GCN, but please don't make it out as if GCN was some powerhouse in the sale department.

Err... not that I have a huge problem with your general point, but RE4 on GC alone was the best selling RE game on that platform last gen. Technically, no one but the Japanese waited.

swerve

I believe the only real problem Wii has in Japan, as well as on GAF, is that we never, ever know much about what's coming from Nintendo.

Wii has through Nintendo's own intention rarely had a title being 'hyped'. We knew about Mario Kart and Wii Fit, but after their unveiling we knew nothing until weeks before launch. Galaxy and Zelda got a few trailers, but nothing else on Wii has had even that level of exposure.

We aren't given what we need in order to get excited about the platform's future. The October conference reels are good but they don't contain the big secrets, and the lack of details between the unveiling and release means that the enthusiasm drops before long.

It's literally 12 months since we heard about Motion Plus and Sports Resort, and not a word since then or any confirmed other games to use it. Six months ago they mentioned the storage solution, but nothing since. Whereas we froth about what might come in PS3 firmware 2.7 or NXE, none of us is thinking about the spring Wii Menu update because there is next to nothing to go on.

As a potential buyer, why should I feel there is anything to get excited about other than what's on the shelf right now? Wii seems comparatively less active than other systems in gaming history.

I think it's this issue that drives us to wonder if recent slack demand in Japan, or sightings of Wiis suddenly on shelves across America, means there is a fundamental problem with the system or its appeal. I think the benefits of the 'no news until its done' plans of Iwata's Nintendo are now running low, and it would be better to re-ignite the press and the forum-goers with regular news about the big hitters, even when they're not done.

There are probably legions of potential enthusiasts out there who'd happily fly the Wii flag, if only they knew what it looked like.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Eh, 3rds filled DS but they complemented Nintendo lineup to drive the system but they didn't drive the system by themselves.

Sure, but it's not like Nintendo has failed to support the Wii entirely. Mixed in with a healthy diet of 3rd party releases, stuff like Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Wii Sports 2 etc. would be very solid, decent support. The problem is that it's insufficient to carry the system by itself -- but Nintendo shouldn't be trying to carry the system by itself.

WinFonda said:
This is the first generation where the market leader is not cross compatible with the other platforms. If Wii could run PS360 games reasonably, this wouldn't even be an issue. But as it stands, it's not even a matter of reducing graphics to get the game on the Wii. The games themselves have to be completely redesigned and reworked.

This. People forget that the games on the PS3/360 due more then just pretty graphics. I mean for the most part they are but they do have easter eggs here and there that are vital to the games as well as some significant upgrade in graphical detail. And while this sounds small it is these things that make the games a third more expensive to create then a Wii game. You can't just tone down the textures when transferring a game to the PS3/360 to the Wii as they contain far more polygons.

To put it in perspective inan IGN interview I remember Kojima (or someone in the Kojima Productions development staff) stating that Metal Gear Solid 4 Solid Snake's mustache contains the same amount of polygons as an enemy in Metal Gear Solid 3. Now think about that for a second. A model for a highend game for a current gen console can only be compared to a model for a highend game on a last gen console only due to mustache hair. Now I know I may be stretching a bit as Metal Gear Solid 4 is easily one of the most technically impressive games this generation, but if there is that big of a gap between the games on the PS2 and PS3 surely lesser games can't be that far off. And the Wii well it is more powerful then the PS2 but it's still closer to the PS2 then the PS3.

This is why games that are multiplatform for the 3 systems have their graphics totally reworked for the Wii, because the Wii simply can't handle them. And nevermind games that use/need draw distance, high number of enemies on screen, large detailed scaled environments, and the likes. This is why Capcom wants Resident Evil 5 to go on the Wii but they can't, it just isn't powerful enough and isn't worth Capcom porting down a Wii version that will most likely sell like crap as it gets a bad word of mouth for being gimped and seemingly half assed.

It's more then a controller and believed userbase why more developers don't port their games to the Wii.

D.Lo said:

There is no way in hell are catridge based system could handle Street Fighter. I agree that SFIV not on the Wii is a stupid decision though. Not to mention that people who brought SFII on the SNES moved on to the PSX.

DNF said:
Strange that sega hasn't released a virtua cop on wii. Is it their best selling/ most-known light-gun-shooter franchise ?

They released Ghost Squad which is a spiritual sequel to the series.

D.Lo said:

You can't be serious. First off a million for SF3 is ridiculous. They had the chance for high sales when it came to the Dreamcast but Capcom fumbled the ball (as they did with that entire game in terms of marketing). By the time AC came out fighting games were on lifesupport (especially 2D ones) as well as the game looking really dated. SF3 past its time.

Second all the fighting fans were on the PS2 with a few on the Xbox. Hence why Capcom vs SNK EO on the Cube did terribly.

About Sega:

Sega at least kept most Sonic and all MB games on the GC, multiplatform or not.

Sonic Heroes was the only worthwhile multi Sonic game, so aside from that, it wasn't a big loss. And the GC version did get like a three week exclusive run. I think the GC version was baseline, I think I recall reading that on Wikipedia, so it's not official of course.

However, at day 1, Sega did the right thing and made both a Wii-exclusive Monkey Ball game, and a tad later also made a Wii-exclusive Sonic game.

Many thought they dropped a gigantic ball not making Sonic '06 for the Wii, but I think by now we can actually call that a good thing.

And they're still paying HUGE attention to the Wii, arguably more than the GC.

Black Knight, Let's Tap, and publishing three AAA projects developed by 3rd Parties (MadWorld, Conduit, and Overkill). Plus teaming up with Nintendo on M&S and allowing Sonic in Brawl.

Among other things, they're also they're all but confirmed to be bringing Shining Force Gear to the Wii by Neverland, so they're starting to bring more of their RPGs to the Wii.

And of course we have Shiren 3... in Japan only, so they and Chunsoft rock for making the game, but suck major ass for not bringing it over... :'(

Basically, it's arguable that they are indeed putting the most effort onto the Wii.

Funny thing is, what else have they done for the PS3 exclusively besides Valkyria and Yakuza 3?

As for Sonic Unleashed, I understand the Wi version not getting the most focus was due to the Hedgehog Engine starting development in 2005, and porting down to Wii wasn't that easy to do. Not to mention that Wii dev kits weren't out until mid-2006.

In my opinion, Sega should at least make all future Sonic games on the Wii first, that includes the 2010 mainline Sonic game that comes out every two years. While making exclusive entries such as the Storybook Series.

And how about Sonic Riders 3 for Wii exclusively with Balance Board support?!

Minsc

Gold Member
I mentioned this in the AC thread, but does it puzzle anyone else why Nintendo doesn't take EA's lead with The Sims and release a plethora of expansions for Animal Crossing? I feel they'd sell extremely well, there'd be minimal effort involved (like a few hundred new items/clothes/bugs/fish/etc), and since the game's assets are so low-resolution that the entire game fits into the GC's memory, it'd be perfect for the Wii's limited storage, and it would make Nintendo a fortune.

donny2112

charlequin said:
Wii Sports 2

It seems that you're considering Wii Sports Resort as Wii Sports 2. As I've mentioned that Nintendo should've come out with a Wii Sports 2 in Fall 2007, I just wanted to make clear that Wii Sports Resort (based on what we know of it) is not what I consider a real sequel to Wii Sports, and as such, is not what I personally had in mind when using the term. I envisioned a Wii Sports 2/Advanced either going with different sports in the same Wii Sports format or more advanced/fuller versions of the games in Wii Sports. Wii Sports Resort seems more like a Wii Play 2 than a Wii Sports 2 to me, personally.

Just wanted to point out the difference in meaning when I use the term Wii Sports 2 versus how you seem to be using it. :)

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
It seems that you're considering Wii Sports Resort as Wii Sports 2. As I've mentioned that Nintendo should've come out with a Wii Sports 2 in Fall 2007, I just wanted to make clear that Wii Sports Resort (based on what we know of it) is not what I consider a real sequel to Wii Sports, and as such, is not what I personally had in mind when using the term. I envisioned a Wii Sports 2/Advanced either going with different sports in the same Wii Sports format or more advanced/fuller versions of the games in Wii Sports. Wii Sports Resort seems more like a Wii Play 2 than a Wii Sports 2 to me, personally.

Just wanted to point out the difference in meaning when I use the term Wii Sports 2 versus how you seem to be using it. :)

Last I checked, Wii Sports Resort is Wii Sports with different sports/activities in the same Wii Sports format

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Spiegel said:
Last I checked, Wii Sports Resort is Wii Sports with different sports/activities in the same Wii Sports format
They're not really "staple" sports though. What I would've expected out of Wii Sports 2 would be basketball, a more enhanced baseball/golf game, maybe swimming.

I don't think the Wii Sports Resort jousting, jet ski, etc resonate with people as much as tennis, baseball or golf does. They just make much less sense when you try to imagine how they play and in general aren't as popular. Of course that's why it's Wii Sports Resort, not Wii Sports 2.

Spiegel

Sage00 said:
They're not really "staple" sports though. What I would've expected out of Wii Sports 2 would be basketball, a more enhanced baseball/golf game, maybe swimming.

I don't think the Wii Sports Resort jousting, jet ski, etc resonate with people as much as tennis, baseball or golf does. They just make much less sense when you try to imagine how they play and in general aren't as popular. Of course that's why it's Wii Sports Resort, not Wii Sports 2.

But they are sports/activities + miis. It's not Wii Play 2, it's Wii Sports 2

All we know so far of WSR's selection of activities so far are the swordfighting, jet ski and frisbee toss. I would be surprised if there weren't more "familiar" activities in there, but something like M&S at the Olympics suggests that the Wii audience will bite at a game with a range of relatively unfamiliar activities if executed well and tied to a recognisable and appealing licence (which Wii Sports is, of course).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
farnham said:
Put in Namco Bandai

They published SC II on three platforms.. the GC one sold the best despite its meager console userbase.. SC III is released on PS2 only and its sales take a dip. Now they release SC IV on 360 and PS3 and give the Wii.. a completely average SC game that is not even a fighting game but an adventure game..

Wrong, the PS2 version outsold the GC version. Still it was a million seller on all 3 systems. You could put that and the ToS/TotA stupidity up there. ToS becomes one of the best selling Tales games and gives the game crossover success in America. Then they shun the GC and publish Abyss only on PS2. Does nowhere near as well, and begin the slow slide of Tales from a powerful RPG franchise into a whored out series doing barely 200k on main releases

Sage00

Once And Future Member
HK-47 said:
Wrong, the PS2 version outsold the GC version. Still it was a million seller on all 3 systems. You could put that and the ToS/TotA stupidity up there. ToS becomes one of the best selling Tales games and gives the game crossover success in America. Then they shun the GC and publish Abyss only on PS2. Does nowhere near as well, and begin the slow slide of Tales from a powerful RPG franchise into a whored out series doing barely 200k on main releases
Multiplatform development for RPGs was a total unknown last gen, so they had to pick either PS2 or GC, with a possibility of a late port to the other system. They went for the system on which ToS sold more in Japan, had a much higher install base outside of Japan and was well known for RPGs. Abyss on PS2 rather than GC was the logical move.

Logical moves sometimes don't play out, but you can't call them out on that when you have hindsight they didn't.

donny2112

From what we know of the activities in Wii Sports Resort, I do not consider it the same kind of game as Wii Sports. When I say that Nintendo should've come out with Wii Sports 2 in Fall 2007, I am not talking about Wii Sports Resort.

HK-47 said:
Wrong, the PS2 version outsold the GC version.

Not in the U.S., and the Japanese sales for the game were pretty small compared to the U.S. levels.

farnham

Banned
IF you think about it.. Nintendo really tried to work with third parties on the Gamecube..

They allowed thirdparties to use their characters and franchises (Fzero GX, Starfox Assault, SSX On Tour, NBA Street V3, Soul Calibur 2) Funded and helped development (Resident Evil Remake, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia) and so on.

No wonder Nintendo just doesnt care about third party support anymore.. Look how much more money and marketshare they got after they started to focus on their products alone and left thirdparty support come and go as third parties want....

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
From what we know of the activities in Wii Sports Resort, I do not consider it the same kind of game as Wii Sports. When I say that Nintendo should've come out with Wii Sports 2 in Fall 2007, I am not talking about Wii Sports Resort.

I wrote a pretty long thing about this the day after Wii Sports Resort was revealed. Basically, the gist was that Wii Sports is so wildly popular because it provides simple yet elegant abstractions of activities that pretty much every person either does, wants to do, or understands. Even if I don't box, I conceive of boxing mentally and the Wii Sports implementation of boxing kinda matches that mental image. It works.

Wii Sports Resort, on the other hand, has thusfar presented three games/sports (note; throwing a frisbee with a dog might be enjoyable for some, but it's not sportive) that are far more obtuse than the sports in Wii Sports 1. Fencing is the most reasonable so far, because I think the average person understands the idea of fencing even if they don't know the details. Waterskiing might be conceptually fine, but the abstraction is poor--it's not likely that anyone playing the Waterskiing game is going to feel like they're Waterskiing. "Dog disc" is a farce.

I'm sure Wii Sports Resort will sell millions. Wii Music has, worldwide. But I just can't conceive of it being the blockbuster Wii Sports was because I just don't see the hook. If they market it as "Buy Wii Motion Plus, get Wii Sports Resort free", I think it'll have a better chance than if they market it as "Look at the great activities! Don't you want to play dog disc!?"

Of course they could also pull a snowjob and just advertise it as "The NEW Wii Sports" without really providing much in the way of detail.

Just my two cents and I have no intention on rehashing out the arguments made back then, but I guess we'll see in the next 4-5 months.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
farnham said:
IF you think about it.. Nintendo really tried to work with third parties on the Gamecube..

They allowed thirdparties to use their characters and franchises (Fzero GX, Starfox Assault, SSX On Tour, NBA Street V3, Soul Calibur 2) Funded and helped development (Resident Evil Remake, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia) and so on.

No wonder Nintendo just doesnt care about third party support anymore.. Look how much more money and marketshare they got after they started to focus on their products alone and left thirdparty support come and go as third parties want....
We only have offhand comments from devs and speculation to go on for this, but haven't Nintendo historically charged higher license/approval fees than Sony or MS?

farnham

Banned
Sage00 said:
We only have offhand comments from devs and speculation to go on for this, but haven't Nintendo historically charged higher license/approval fees than Sony or MS?
i think the fees probably change depending on the market situation..

farnham

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I wrote a pretty long thing about this the day after Wii Sports Resort was revealed. Basically, the gist was that Wii Sports is so wildly popular because it provides simple yet elegant abstractions of activities that pretty much every person either does, wants to do, or understands. Even if I don't box, I conceive of boxing mentally and the Wii Sports implementation of boxing kinda matches that mental image. It works.

Wii Sports Resort, on the other hand, has thusfar presented three games/sports (note; throwing a frisbee with a dog might be enjoyable for some, but it's not sportive) that are far more obtuse than the sports in Wii Sports 1. Fencing is the most reasonable so far, because I think the average person understands the idea of fencing even if they don't know the details. Waterskiing might be conceptually fine, but the abstraction is poor--it's not likely that anyone playing the Waterskiing game is going to feel like they're Waterskiing. "Dog disc" is a farce.

I'm sure Wii Sports Resort will sell millions. Wii Music has, worldwide. But I just can't conceive of it being the blockbuster Wii Sports was because I just don't see the hook. If they market it as "Buy Wii Motion Plus, get Wii Sports Resort free", I think it'll have a better chance than if they market it as "Look at the great activities! Don't you want to play dog disc!?"

Of course they could also pull a snowjob and just advertise it as "The NEW Wii Sports" without really providing much in the way of detail.

Just my two cents and I have no intention on rehashing out the arguments made back then, but I guess we'll see in the next 4-5 months.

we dont have any information about wii sports resort.. we only know what we saw in E3.. remember in E3 2006 we didnt even know that Wii sports will have boxing and bowling

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
farnham said:
we dont have any information about wii sports resort.. we only know what we saw in E3.. remember in E3 2006 we didnt even know that Wii sports will have boxing and bowling
It's true that the other two games could be great sporting simulators (beach volleyball maybe?), but I think stump's point makes sense. Dog disc will probably suck and the jetski game does not reasonably approximate jetskiing. You play baseball to swing the bat and throw the ball and you jetski to go fast and ride the waves-- not jiggle the handlebar throttle. That's not really what's intensely appealing about the "sport." But if the next two games are great, then I figure there'd be about the same noise ratio as there is in the original Wii Sports.

d+pad

farnham said:
we dont have any information about wii sports resort..

I have a feeling Nintendo will come through when we know more about what's included in this title. I can't help but think there may be volleyball, mini-golf, that Pilotwings-esque game we saw way back when the Wii was announced (maybe with hangliding?) and more.

God, I wish Nintendo would loosen their lips a bit and let us know what the hell is going on with their titles this year... :(

farnham

Banned
Y2Kev said:
It's true that the other two games could be great sporting simulators (beach volleyball maybe?), but I think stump's point makes sense. Dog disc will probably suck and the jetski game does not reasonably approximate jetskiing. You play baseball to swing the bat and throw the ball and you jetski to go fast and ride the waves-- not jiggle the handlebar throttle. That's not really what's intensely appealing about the "sport." But if the next two games are great, then I figure there'd be about the same noise ratio as there is in the original Wii Sports.
care to explain..? all games were awesome (okay baseball was kinda weak)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:

Not in the U.S., and the Japanese sales for the game were pretty small compared to the U.S. levels.

Overall it did. Europe would have pushed the PS2 version well beyond the GC version

farnham

Banned
HK-47 said:
Overall it did. Europe would have pushed the PS2 version well beyond the GC version
do we have concrete european numbers though..? wasnt sc ii published by Nintendo in Europe.. I remember that it was heavily marketed compared to the PS2 version (well the GC was DOA in Europe so dunno how the sales compare)

Spiegel

farnham said:
do we have concrete european numbers though..? wasnt sc ii published by Nintendo in Europe.. I remember that it was heavily marketed compared to the PS2 version (well the GC was DOA in Europe so dunno how the sales compare)

Yes

Uk sales

http://www.elspa.com/?i=3943

Soul Calibur II PS2 > 200k and < 300k
Soul Calibur II GC > 0k and < 100k
Soul Calibur II XBOX > 0k and < 100k

Top Bottom