• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

RpgN

Sage00 said:
Yakuza 3 will probably be more front loaded due to the nature of PS3's userbase, and the fact that it's much smaller. Unless there is a bigger bump than I'm thinking.

Yes, there's a high possibility it will be front loaded. But looking at Kenzan and how it had an about additional 100k besides the first week, and the same with Yakuza 3 first day numbers and first week (another 100k), it has a chance in having decent legs. So far it outsold Yakuza's LTD (Without Best re-release), Yakuza 2 might be hard to reach.

duckroll

Spiegel said:
Outdated and unfair. MGS 2/3 include the cheaper re-editions

Erm, cheaper? They were both full price. In fact MGS3S LE cost even more than MGS3! :lol

I wanna know why MGS Intergral isn't in that chart though. It should be included with MGS1 sales too.

Paracelsus

Well, at least there's a good chance it will make its way to half a million worth of sales, without re-release. Let's hope it's enough for Sega to throw a bone at the West and release a cheap localization.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Erm, cheaper? They were both full price. In fact MGS3S LE cost even more than MGS3! :lol

I wanna know why MGS Intergral isn't in that chart though. It should be included with MGS1 sales too.

I meant the best reeditions

Laguna

Banned
This week there was also the rerelease for Valkyry Chronicles ("Best Price"). I can´t wait for this weeks Top30 charts.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Happy now? :p

Yeah : D

Can you confirm if sinobi says that there were 35k PS3 sold last week?

Sinobi said:
特製の同梱本体だけでなく、通常の本体も牽引し、先週比225%の3.5万台を販売。

duckroll

gantz85 said:
By that chart, doesn't MGS4 vanilla actually BEAT MGS1 vanilla?

Yes, that's what I initially suspected before someone posted that chart anyway if you noticed. But it should be noticed that the MGS1 number is from the Famitsu Top300 for 1998. MGS1 was released in Sept '98. It does not appear in the Top300 for 1999 at all, with #300 doing about 35k. It's entirely possible that the actual total is anything from 674k to 708k. Until I find better numbers for that, we won't know for sure. But yeah if it makes you feel better, 6 months of MGS4 sales beat 3 months of MGS1 sales.

MGS2 and MGS3 figures are from the charts the year after they released though, so those are pretty definitive.

Edit: Yes, sinobi says that not only did RgG3's bundle sell well, but it helped push the sales of the regular PS3 units as well. There's a 225% increase in PS3 hardware sales compared to last week, totalling 35k.

donny2112

duckroll said:
Just checked the lastest MGS4 numbers from the end of 2008: 686k

It still falls short of even MGS1's sales.

This isn't a perfect comparison, but here's an in-time comparison of the four main games (no re-releases included).

MGS1 @ ~2 months - 630K
MGS2 @ ~2 months - 763K
MGS3 @ ~2 months - 783K

MGS4 @ ~2 months - 637K

Closest date to ~6 months out:
MGS1 @ ~4 months - 675K
MGS2 @ ~5 months - 796K
MGS3 @ ~2 months - 783K

MGS4 @ ~6 months - 686K

duckroll said:
It's entirely possible that the actual total is anything from 674k to 708k.

706K @ Apr-02

duckroll

donny2112 said:
This isn't a perfect comparison, but here's an in-time comparison of the four main games (no re-releases included).

MGS1 @ ~2 months - 630K
MGS2 @ ~2 months - 763K
MGS3 @ ~2 months - 783K

MGS4 @ ~2 months - 637K

Closest date to ~6 months out:
MGS1 @ ~4 months - 675K
MGS2 @ ~5 months - 796K
MGS3 @ ~2 months - 783K

MGS4 @ ~6 months - 686K

Yeah, I already fixed that. :)

gantz85

Banned
duckroll said:
Edit: Yes, sinobi says that not only did RgG3's bundle sell well, but it helped push the sales of the regular PS3 units as well. There's a 225% increase in PS3 hardware sales compared to last week, totalling 35k.

This hardware figure includes the bundle right?

This is a very modest rise in sales figures, compared to how MGS4 bumped it up to 80K-ish. If Sony wants to continue tapping the hardcore market to increase hardware installbase they need to find other specific genres. If not, they need to figure how to get themselves out to the masses.

gantz85 said:

This is a very modest rise in sales figures, compared to how MGS4 bumped it up to 80K-ish. If Sony wants to continue tapping the hardcore market to increase hardware installbase they need to find other specific genres. If not, they need to figure how to get themselves out to the masses.

Recession.

donny2112

duckroll said:
Yeah, I already fixed that. :)

If you just wanted to compare to MGS1, MGS1 > MGS4 @ 4 months. MGS1 was @ the biggest selling time of the year. MGS4 was still two months out from that period.

MGS1 @ ~4 months - 675K
MGS4 @ ~4 months - 663K

Also, I edited the previous post with the last reported number I have for MGS1.

Lightning

Banned
Hmm.... Star Ocean 4 will probably be around 20k where I thought it would be. Quite disappointing for a mainline SO game and tri-Ace's biggest franchise.

Yakuza 3 enjoyed great sales, interesting to see how well it holds up long term.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:

Ehh less than I expected given the software sales.

max-pain

duckroll said:

16k+225% increase is 52k. That means 17k Yakuza 3 bundle?!?

donny2112

Lightning said:
Yakuza 3 enjoyed great sales, interesting to see how well it holds up long term.

It'll probably end up as the second-best selling PS3 game. It might even reach that level as early as next week, but I don't think it'll pass MGS4, though.

gantz85

Banned
I forgot Resident Evil releases today in Japan! It'll probably cannibalize Yakuza 3's sales and it won't register as nice a second week performance because of RE5.

Does anyone have the LTD for the RE series? I actually don't know if it's a million seller in JP and I am certainly interested in seeing how much RE5 will do.

Defuser

Lightning said:
Hmm.... Star Ocean 4 will probably be around 20k where I thought it would be. Quite disappointing for a mainline SO game and tri-Ace's biggest franchise.
I think you know the reason why....

mujun

gantz85 said:

yakuza 3 doesnt strike me as being quite the hardware mover mgs4 is. on top of that im sure when mgs4 hit there was a larger group of people waiting to be pushed over the edge by any given new game on the system.

duckroll

mujun said:
yakuza 3 doesnt strike me as being quite the hardware mover mgs4 is. on top of that im sure when mgs4 hit there was a larger group of people waiting to be pushed over the edge by any given new game on the system.

Let's not forget that Kenzan already came out last year. Even though RgG3 is selling a shitload more than it did, I believe a good number of RgG fans already have PS3s.

gantz85

Banned
gantz85 said:
I forgot Resident Evil releases today in Japan! It'll probably cannibalize Yakuza 3's sales and it won't register as nice a second week performance because of RE5.

Does anyone have the LTD for the RE series? I actually don't know if it's a million seller in JP and I am certainly interested in seeing how much RE5 will do.

I had to go to a GAF-banned site to look at some speculative figures and it seems like RE is quite a big seller in Japan! The first hit 1.68m in Japan while the second hit 2.2million. These are stunning figures. RE3 did 1.55million while RE4 had its figures split between 3 systems (GCN, PS2 and Wii) and also had the lowest JP sales that did not total up to even 1mil between all three platforms.

So we know RE is, at least, the biggest Japanese franchise due out on HD console in Japan. It is about TWICE as big as Metal Gear Solid in Japan.

Seriously, are we due our first HD million seller? :D

I prefer to hear it from our resident experts.

gantz85 said:
I had to go to a GAF-banned site to look at some speculative figures and it seems like RE is quite a big seller in Japan! The first hit 1.68m in Japan while the second hit 2.2million. These are stunning figures. RE3 did 1.55million while RE4 had its figures split between 3 systems (GCN, PS2 and Wii) and also had the lowest JP sales that did not total up to even 1mil between all three platforms.

So we know RE is, at least, the biggest Japanese franchise due out on HD console in Japan. It is about TWICE as big as Metal Gear Solid in Japan.

*cough*finalfantasy*cough*cough*

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gantz85 said:

I doubt it, personally.

Laguna

Banned
gantz85 said:

There´s a song called "In your dreams" you should check it out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gantz85 said:

why did you go to a gaf banned site to look up those figures

gantz85

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
*cough*finalfantasy*cough*cough*

I mean, currently the biggest franchise that's going to be out now. Final Fantasy is next :lol

Japan Sales

FFVII 3.2m
FFVIII 3.5m
FFIX 2.70m
FFX 2.3m
FFXII 2.3m

Those figures manage the higher tier of RE sales. Worldwide though, MGS, RE and FF are kind of close, although FF was a notch ahead both with VII and VIII.

//EDIT: Changed with figures from http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/, thanks whoever!

thaOwner

How different were the past Resident Evil series gameplay from each other though ? Did they all play
like RE5 ? If they've all played like RE5, then I could see this title doing incredibly well, not a million,
but it 600K LTD is a given based on the game's mild popularity in Japan.

Spiegel

gantz85 said:

That's impossible. Like you have said Resident Evil is not that big in Japan.

My bet

PS3 version: 380k first week/620k LTD
360 version: 70k/100 LTD

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gantz85 said:

It'll get nowhere close, RE4 just passed the million mark with all versions and releases combined.

gantz85

Banned
schuelma said:
I doubt it, personally.

Laguna said:
There´s a song called "In your dreams" you should check it out.

Well, the install base is 2.8million. A million-seller would require penetration of 1/2.8 = ~36%

Hmm. Metal Gear Solid 4 did close to its predecessors. I wouldn't say a million units for RE5 in Japan is out of order.

//EDIT: Just checked figures from Japan game charts for RE sales.. OK, a million seller for RE5 would take A LOT.

duckroll

RE5 will not do anywhere near a million in Japan. Not on the PS3, and not on PS3+360 combined. You can't take PS1 era sales to determine the health of the series today. You have to look at how sales have been for RE games in recent years. The interest has definitely declined in Japan. It's still a popular series, but it's not anywhere near the million plus club anymore. Onimusha and Devil May Cry were also million selling titles originally, and Onimusha 2 was a million seller too. Things change.

gantz85

Banned
duckroll said:
RE5 will not do anywhere near a million in Japan. Not on the PS3, and not on PS3+360 combined. You can't take PS1 era sales to determine the health of the series today. You have to look at how sales have been for RE games in recent years. The interest has definitely declined in Japan. It's still a popular series, but it's not anywhere near the million plus club anymore. Onimusha and Devil May Cry were also million selling titles originally, and Onimusha 2 was a million seller too. Things change.

That's interesting.. I would've thought that the main reason for RE4's sales decline was that RE4 was placed on the wrong console and it bombed, but just worse than how developers are putting RPGs on the 360 in JP. By the time RE4 was released for PS2, the time had already passed.

But maybe you're right and the market doesn't want RE that much any longer.

We'll know very quickly with the first day sales figures tomorrow..

duckroll

gantz85 said:
That's interesting.. I would've thought that the main reason for RE4's sales decline was that RE4 was placed on the wrong console and it bombed, but just worse than how developers are putting RPGs on the 360 in JP. By the time RE4 was released for PS2, the time had already passed.

But maybe you're right and the market doesn't want RE that much any longer.

We'll know very quickly with the first day sales figures tomorrow..

No, I don't think it's so much that the market doesn't want RE anymore. It's still going to sell, it's just not going to sell the huge million figures that big franchises so easily sold in the PS1 and early PS2 era in Japan.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
duckroll said:

So Final Fantasy XIII is the only hope for a million seller HD title.

boiled goose

good with gravy
uhh..

isnt RE5 on the losing consoles as well????

at least re4 got a port to the ps2..

will we see a re5 wii? where there is a proven re fanbase?

If anything RE5 might sell less, given that the franchise fanbase is more split up..

PS3 35k due to RGG3 ? i thought a little more, but it's still a great result.
RGG3 numbers are great indeed... Star Ocean 4 should be around 20k, such a big drop but it was expected cause it's common for 360 to have huge drops during the second week, but 200k is still affordable, so i think it would be a great result considering for a less-a-milion system.

This week will be interesting, RE5 probably will push both PS3 and 360 hardware, Wii could take the 3rd place during this gen for the first time since its release... can't wait for next week numbers :lol

markatisu

Moor-Angol said:
This week will be interesting, RE5 probably will push both PS3 and 360 hardware, Wii could take the 3rd place during this gen for the first time since its release... can't wait for next week numbers :lol

But how long before it all goes back to the way it was? I mean Sony will be able to be proud with the sales over the next 2-3 weeks but then what when there are no games on the horizon.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
But how long before it all goes back to the way it was? I mean Sony will be able to be proud with the sales over the next 2-3 weeks but then what when there are no games on the horizon.
final_fantasy_7_advent_children_ps3.jpg

gantz85

Banned
markatisu said:

Yakuza 3, RE5 and FFXIII demo are the three-punch titles to come out in a short time-frame. After that, let's ready ourselves for another drought :lol

Every inch garnered for the PS3 hardware installbase expansion is an important inch. They need to push it above 3 million. It's still a far cry from PS2's 20 million :lol

Defuser

Sage00 said:
http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/final_fantasy_7_advent_children_ps3.jpg
Then what's after that?I'm looking at the upcoming list after april,seems to be dead...real dead.

Top Bottom