• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

JoshuaJSlone said:
That would be quite an exaggeration, but it's definitely down with the flu or something.
They've captured the general Japanese public with the DS. That's their main competition, and that's making it a hard sell. I really don't understand what they're buying PSPs for. It really does not appear to be the games, or at least not ones sold in stores.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
bmf said:
They've captured the general Japanese public with the DS. That's their main competition, and that's making it a hard sell. I really don't understand what they're buying PSPs for. It really does not appear to be the games, or at least not ones sold in stores.
Err..

NDS: 9
PSP: 8
Wii: 6
PS2: 3
PS3: 2
360: 2

test_account

XP-39C²
I was thinking about something earlier today, are there any 3rd part console games (not handheld systems) this generation that are so to say guaranteed to sell at least 1 million copies in Japan? I guess Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest X at least, but what about beside these 2 games?

slaughterking said:
Heh, seeing the three idolmasters in the charts remindes me of the uber otaku I've seen on sankaku few days ago. He wasn't satisified with just one copy of each version.

http://666kb.com/i/b6r2jr7f2ei8ijhdi.jpg
Wow, if one guy bought all of those copies for himself then i guess it is safe to say that he is a big fan of Idol Master :)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
test_account said:
I was thinking about something earlier today, are there any 3rd part console games (not handheld systems) this generation that are so to say guaranteed to sell at least 1 million copies in Japan? I guess Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest X at least, but what about beside these 2 games?

Wow, if one guy bought all of those copies for himself then i guess it is safe to say that he is a big fan of Idol Master :)
Nothing is certain this gen, but I'd definitely say MH3 is in with a good chance, even if it falls short of cultural phenomenon like the handheld games.

DogWelder

test_account said:
Monster Hunter 3 will probably do a million.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
DarkMehm said:
Not only this week. PSP is ahead of the Wii in software YTD.
I believe LTDs are not that far off though.

Probably because of PSP's 2 years of hibernation on the software side.

gkryhewy

Byakuya769 said:
You think WKC is a fair comparison with SO??? 500 is obviously out of the realm of possibility, but it would have destroyed WKC on the ps3 sales wise.

Yes, it could have conceivably eeked out 500k or so LTD in Japan, or about 150k more than it'll end up LTDing on 360 (in Japan). Flawless victoly!

Both figures probably dwarfed by its Euro and NA sales on 360, which makes an argument for PS3 exclusivity for this title ridiculous, unless you think EU/NA PS3 version sales might match 360 sales, which is an unlikely proposition at best: on the 360 side, LO, BD, and TLR have all had much higher sales outside Japan than within (and respectable total sales if you bother to look). On the PS3 side, the only example I can think of is VC, which seems to have sold higher in Japan. Can anyone reasonably expect any non-FF or DQ JRPG to move a million units worldwide on PS3? Lost Odyssey is just about there, and SO will probably surpass it.

Multiplatform I can certainly see, if the engine makes it cost effective, but teeth gnashing over "irrational" decisions to release JRPGs on 360 are misplaced. In reality, any HD JRPG is probably misspent resources, but if it's going to exist, it only approaches sense on 360 or multiplat.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sage00 said:
Nothing is certain this gen, but I'd definitely say MH3 is in with a good chance, even if it falls short of cultural phenomenon like the handheld games.

Yeah I think it has a good shot. Capcom is going to push the hell out of this game- in this weeks Famitsu Inafune says he wants to make Monster Hunter bigger than Dragon Quest and that MH Tri is "important for the industry" as well as for Capcom.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
You liar! Psp doesn't sell games

PSP always sold games, they just happened to be called Monster Hunter in the past

Yeah I think it has a good shot. Capcom is going to push the hell out of this game- in this weeks Famitsu Inafune says he wants to make Monster Hunter bigger than Dragon Quest and that MH Tri is "important for the industry" as well as for Capcom.

Inafune also gave a interview to IGN last week that said Capcom is pressuring BIG time to make MH Tri a success...there apparently is no fail option for them

DarkMehm said:
Not only this week. PSP is ahead of the Wii in software YTD.
02/02 - 02/08
[WII] - 10
[NDS] - 21
[PSP] - 8
[PS3] - 8
[360] - 1
[PS2] - 2

1/26 - 2/01
[WII] - 10
[NDS] - 20
[PSP] - 7
[PS3] - 6
[360] - 2
[PS2] - 5

01/19 - 01/25
[NDS] - 20
[WII] - 12
[PS3] - 9
[PSP] - 6
[PS2] - 2
[360] - 1

Three of the recent breakdowns for the top 50. There wasn't one for last week (I can create if need be). I stil maintain that the DS is Wii's primary competition.

Wasn't it not to long ago that we were discussing how the PSP sold no software except for Monster Hunter due to piracy?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
gkrykewy said:
Yes, it could have conceivably eeked out 500k or so LTD in Japan, or about 150k more than it'll end up LTDing on 360 (in Japan). Flawless victoly!

Both figures probably dwarfed by its Euro and NA sales on 360, which makes an argument for PS3 exclusivity for this title ridiculous, unless you think EU/NA PS3 version sales might match 360 sales, which is an unlikely proposition at best: on the 360 side, LO, BD, and TLR have all had much higher sales outside Japan than within (and respectable total sales if you bother to look). On the PS3 side, the only example I can think of is VC, which seems to have sold higher in Japan. Can anyone reasonably expect any non-FF or DQ JRPG to move a million units worldwide on PS3? Lost Odyssey is just about there, and SO will probably surpass it.

Multiplatform I can certainly see, if the engine makes it cost effective, but teeth gnashing over "irrational" decisions to release JRPGs on 360 are misplaced. In reality, any HD JRPG is probably misspent resources, but if it's going to exist, it only approaches sense on 360 or multiplat.
Well no, you can't exclude certain ifs and buts and include others. If LO, BD, TLR, ToV, SO4 and WKS had released on PS3 then you can be certain PS3 would have the userbase to push 600k+ on these RPGs in Japan alone, which is something like 5x greater than 360's out-of-Japan sales (excluding LO, which is probably down to MS' brilliant marketing on that). ToV is crawling it's way past 100k in NA and isn't even out in Europe. There's really no argument. If they were all on Wii then maybe Wii's situation would not be the same as it is now.

gkrykewy said:

So now we're comparing a strategy rpg to traditional jrpgs... victoly indeed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gkrykewy said:
BD, and TLR
Can you prove this? I don't know that this is true. BD is 200k+ and TLR is 120k+ in Japan. You think BD sold a lot more outside of Japan than in?

And where do you get LO at near 1 million units? This game is the magically inflating sales balloon. People used 700k as a shipment figure for months and now it's near 1 million?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Syntek said:
Regarding the high price for SO4, I recall some interview with Carmack that MS charges ridiculous royalty fees for multi-discs releases, likely as a measure deter developers from exceeding one disc. The price increase is probably to offset that.

Interesting, I wonder what that would do to the pricing for final fantasy XIII and if SE will charge more for the PS3 version because the 360 one is on multiple discs to have the same pricing structure.

Spiegel

bmf said:
Wasn't it not to long ago that we were discussing how the PSP sold no software except for Monster Hunter due to piracy?

Captain Smoker said:
Dengeki Software Totals - Weekly Overview
Code:
Week		 NDS	    Wii        PS3	  PS2	     PSP	X360

12/29 - 01/04	 1.302.245  718.913    267.529    186.653    415.422    66.262 
01/05 - 01/11	 517.137    226.875    123.874	  103.390    218.188	35.991
01/12 - 01/18 	 486.422    227.923    167.187	  79.900     157.460	30.677
01/19 - 01/25 	 362.216    215.920    107.169	  76.308     161.193	41.990
01/26 - 02/01 	 422.172    168.744    87.903	  193.494    462.247	42.869
02/02 - 02/08 	 336.350    126.504    128.816	  105.175    198.800	32.791
02/09 - 02/15 	 504.351    114.290    185.817	  122.805    205.945	59.655

[B]YTD 2009	 3.930.893  1.799.169  1.068.295  867.725    1.819.255  310.235[/B]

When there are games released, they sell

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Y2Kev said:
Can you prove this? I don't know that this is true. BD is 200k+ and TLR is 120k+ in Japan. You think BD sold a lot more outside of Japan than in?

And where do you get LO at near 1 million units? This game is the magically inflating sales balloon. People used 700k for months with no real source and now it's near 1 million?
Blue Dragon entered NPD rankings in August of it's release at 54k. RPGs in general much less BD barely even chart in Europe. It's hard to believe it quadrupled it's opening month.

famitsu-dspsp-090208.png

Here's the graph I was looking for.

DarkMehm

bmf said:
Here's the graph I was looking for.

That graph is pretty useless as it only contains data of the Top 30. Why du you ignore Spiegels posting? That sales data is relevant. Just open your eyes for the truth.

Linkup

I surprised people are happy or welcome games like Idolmaster selling well on PSP. I think in the past such titles where trolled and ignored, times change I guess.

gkrykewy said:

I doubt it.

DarkMehm said:
That graph is pretty useless as it only contains data of the Top 30. Why du you ignore Spiegels posting? That sales data is relevant. Just open your eyes for the truth.
I'll concede that the PSP is doing better in software sales this year than in the past. I'm still pretty certain that the tie ratio is out of whack, but I'm willing to believe that my picture of the sales landscape isn't as complete as it once was. I look forward to any additional data that may or may not be provided by Donny, Joshua, or Panther later in the thread.

farnham

Banned
Linkup said:
I surprised people are happy or welcome games like Idolmaster selling well on PSP. I think in the past such titles where trolled and ignored, times change I guess.
Dokimeki Memorial helped IGA and Kojima to establish themselves as Game Devs.

And White Album, Princess Maker as well as Too Heart were exceptional games..

I guess in any genre there are masterpieces.. and shitty stuff..

Same with the Gyaru Games

Spiegel

Linkup said:

Who's happy? (Besides the usual weird animu people)

icecream

Public Health Threat
Sage00 said:
If LO, BD, TLR, ToV, SO4 and WKS had released on PS3 then you can be certain PS3 would have the userbase to push 600k+ on these RPGs in Japan alone.
That would be an interesting question. If the PS3 had all these titles, would they be selling radically higher than their 360 sales, or just higher but proportionally to the installed userbase.

Did WKC selling well prove that there is a JRPG audience waiting in the wings, or that PS3 owners are desperate enough for any JRPG that they'll buy the few that come out? Eternal Sonata sold just as well as the 360 release, despite releasing almost 2 years later, Tears to Tiara also sold really well, despite being a ADV+SRPG, Demon's Souls is holding strong despite being undershipped... if high profile titles such as Blue Dragon, Vesperia, and Star Ocean 4 were also in the pipeline as PS3 titles, would JRPG sales have balanced out on the system?

Because saying that HD gaming is dying and pointing to abysmal sales on a rock bottom system saturated with JRPGs as the cause doesn't say much. Of course such titles would do better on the PS3. The question is by how much?

gkryhewy

Y2Kev said:

And where do you get LO at near 1 million units? This game is the magically inflating sales balloon. People used 700k as a shipment figure for months and now it's near 1 million?

BD and LO were figures I'd seen used around here before that appear reliable. Yes, I'm certain that BD has sold more than 120k in NA and Euro combined, especially considering the price collapse. Does MS include software unit sales in its earnings reports? Speaking of, this is what I was using for TLR (from SE's most recent earnings):

hx2ade.jpg

Sage00 said:
Well no, you can't exclude certain ifs and buts and include others. If LO, BD, TLR, ToV, SO4 and WKS had released on PS3 then you can be certain PS3 would have the userbase to push 600k+ on these RPGs in Japan alone

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about an alternate universe where PS3 magically had every HD JRPG as an exclusive, and was the leading HD console. I was talking about reality in 2009.

Byakuya769 said:
So now we're comparing a strategy rpg to traditional jrpgs... victoly indeed.

Okay, find me any peripherally-related PS3 game released in all regions that would make a better comparison.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sage00 said:
1cesc said:
Monster Hunter 3 will probably do a million.
schuelma said:
Ye, Monster Hunter 3 might have a good shot at selling a million copies, i think so too :) I think it should be interesting to see how much Monster Hunter 3 will end up selling, as well as the Monster Hunter port for the Wii that is comming out relatively soon. What was the name of that Monster Hunter game again, Monster Hunter G or something?

Sage00: Ye, that is true as you say, this generation has been unpredictable several of times.

EDIT: I added some text.

freddy

Banned
Pretty much everything is sucking big time for third party software in Japan except the DS.

Capcom sees a potential cash cow in the Wii and recognises that the industry needs a leading console for developers to focus on. Rest assured Nintendo won't let Capcom hang in the air on it's own with this. They have things up their sleeves and they will use them before too long.

icecream

Public Health Threat
farnham said:
Tokimeki Memorial helped IGA and Kojima to establish themselves as Game Devs.

And White Album, Princess Maker as well as To Heart were exceptional games..
Except those are games of the past... you'd be hard pressed nowadays to find such strong-selling games in those genres. Idolm@ster is the exception, not the norm.

Linkup said:
I don't think people are welcoming or happy for it. It was just to be expected. It's a high-profile series that has a devoted following, of course it was going to sell on any system it was put on.

freddy said:
Capcom sees a potential cash cow in the Wii and recognises that the industry needs a leading console for developers to focus on. Rest assured Nintendo won't let Capcom hang in the air on it's own with this. They have things up their sleeves and they will use them before too long.

And you are basing this on what? I'm sorry, but the major reason that these threads usually go up the shitter is because people offer an analysis based on little more than what they'd like to see, rather than any factual basis.

Spiegel

Where's the "how low can it go".gif?

PSP numbers are bad, but at least there is the Musou pack + new colour next week

PusherT

I wonder what Console will Tri-Ace bring Valkyrie Profile too they have a enigine made and ready for the X360 but they also made a VP: Covenet of the Plume on the DS . I think Valkyrie Profile 4 goes to the
X360
as well. I can't wait to see Lennith & Silmeria in HD. Gotanda make it happen :D

gkrykewy said:
Okay, find me any peripherally-related PS3 game released in all regions that would make a better comparison.

None has been released in all regions that would serve as a good comparison. However, that doesn't make your use of VC any less nonsensical.

Top Bottom