• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

rykomatsu

gantz85 said:
Level 5's strategy to prevent second-hand stuffing through the multiplayer didn't work well, did it? Was it because of the half-assed execution of the MP or is this just the character of the console market?

the rate of drop of used game prices is inversely proportional to the number of copies that game sold...niche games tend to maintain their prices rather well in comparison to high profile titles usually. (granted this is an oversimplification but you get the idea)

oatmeal

Banned
I guess my video works for Japanese sales, too!

NOTE: This is not a video meant to troll or anything, I just made it for fun, and it pokes fun of all videogame fanboys and is simply about Sony because they're the current 'third place console'...I play my PS3 more than any other console and am picking up KZ2 in 3 hours.

Please do not ban me again :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwEkU5H1Wew

oatmeal

Banned
donny2112 said:
Part of the problem could be that the site that video comes from (not youtube) is not exactly welcome at NeoGAF. ;)

True. If you ignore the bookend of it, it's like nothing ever happened. :D

mujun

rykomatsu said:
the rate of drop of used game prices is inversely proportional to the number of copies that game sold...niche games tend to maintain their prices rather well in comparison to high profile titles usually. (granted this is an oversimplification but you get the idea)

i don't think that is true.

recent example is ninja blade which dropped value quite quickly despite being niche and not so easy to find 2nd hand copies of.

from my experience 2nd hand value vs retail price is dependent on sales of the 2nd hand game and seemingly has less than you would expect connection to the sales of the new game (unless high sales makes even the retail game difficult to find).

oatmeal said:
True. If you ignore the bookend of it, it's like nothing ever happened. :D

Perhaps your banning had more to do with you incessantly spamming that video and associated GIFs, rather than the actual content?

oatmeal

Banned
bmf said:
Oh hey. You're unbanned. You should really stop posting that video as it's overuse is what got you banned last time, I think.

It wasn't the video, it was the GIF's.

I won't post them anymore... I learned my lesson.

oatmeal

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Perhaps your banning had more to do with you incessantly spamming that video and associated GIFs, rather than the actual content?

Yeah, that was it.

It was a mix of no sleep and a cry for attention that did it.

oatmeal said:
It wasn't the video, it was the GIF's.

I won't post them anymore... I learned my lesson.
A little of both, I think. I'd avoid posting the GIFs from that video altogether anymore. Let someone else do it, as they do continue to be funny. Since the video is the same content.....

donny2112 said:
If Nintendo were interested in going the "easy" way, they'd have had a Wii Sports 2/Advance ready for Fall 2007 like they had a Brain Training 2 ready 7 months after Brain Training 1. :/

Well, maybe someone should explain to Nintendo that their job is, in fact, to take the easy route to making money when that route presents itself. If there's somebody at NCL who had the opportunity to get a team to work on Wii Sports 2 right away so it would have already been ready when they needed it, and chose not to, that person should prrrrrobably be fired.

Based on past experience, though, especially when Nintendo announces "Why'd they do that?" hardware (i.e. the DS), they'll have software to back it up

But... Nintendo didn't have any software to back it up with the original DS on launch, just recycled N64 games and glorified tech demos. It took 6 months for Nintendogs and Brain Training to pop up. If the best NCL can do is squeak something out at the end of 2009 (and have nothing but dead air until then)...

No, not fixed. Nintendo is terrible at third-party relations, and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. They don't do a good job of bringing devs to their platforms, they don't do a good job of treating their development partners well, they don't nurture third-party franchises for the future or build brands that can last into the future. Getting decent third party support on DS took them outselling all other systems in history for like two solid years, and the Wii is floundering and has no third-party support to speak of despite trouncing both of its competitors combined because people want that badly not to develop on the system and Nintendo has given them no good reason to change this behavior. I don't know how anyone could call this "doing well" on third-party relations.

sphinx said:
I am waiting for the moment nintendo remembers there is a console they themselves produced, called " Wii " in japanese stores.
Sooner or later they'll notice the piles of money aren't as large as they once were.

They might do something then.

justchris

sphinx said:
I am waiting for the moment nintendo remembers there is a console they themselves produced, called " Wii " in japanese stores.

Nintendo remembers, they're just not willing to rush anything to get it out there. Any response Nintendo makes to these sales is something we're not going to see immediately. It's not like they can just proclaim a game into existence like some sort of gods. Like someone said earlier, the only thing they can do that we'd know about immediately would be a price drop, and that's not going to happen.

charlequin said:
No, not fixed. Nintendo is terrible at third-party relations, and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. They don't do a good job of bringing devs to their platforms, they don't do a good job of treating their development partners well, they don't nurture third-party franchises for the future or build brands that can last into the future. Getting decent third party support on DS took them outselling all other systems in history for like two solid years, and the Wii is floundering and has no third-party support to speak of despite trouncing both of its competitors combined because people want that badly not to develop on the system and Nintendo has given them no good reason to change this behavior. I don't know how anyone could call this "doing well" on third-party relations.

And you think blanket writing checks is going to significantly improve their 3rd party relations? Sure, it'll get them some much needed titles...in 6 months to a year, but it won't have the kind of long term benefit to developer relations that Nintendo actually needs.

oatmeal

Banned
PantherLotus said:
How about no more fucking youtube videos in media create threads? Thanks!

Don't hate. If it was a random video I found, I'd understand...

But I crafted this with my own two hands in my living room and cut it in 8 hours. That deserves some props :(

Jonnyram

PantherLotus said:
How about no more fucking youtube videos in media create threads? Thanks!
itsmahthread.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ :lol i deserve that.

oatmeal said:

But I crafted this with my own two hands in my living room and cut it in 8 hours. That deserves some props :(

Why not start a thread about it? It's not really relevant to any current discussion and you shitting it in this thread proves that you have no idea what is even being discussed.

It would be like me posting a picture of cats with controllers on their faces.

oatmeal said:

Doesn't mean you should pimp it every single chance you get. Enough is enough.

donny2112

charlequin said:
I don't know how anyone could call this "doing well" on third-party relations.

They're not, pretty much. They had more reason to in the GameCube era, which is maybe why they took the steps they did. However, they're not even taking those steps, at this point. e.g. A Soul Calibur IV based on the Soul Calibur II GameCube engine with Link in it again would've been a good idea this gen just like it was last gen.

oatmeal said:
But I crafted this with my own two hands

Oh, you're from over there.
:p

PantherLotus said:
I think I'll create a thread about it. That would satisfy everybody.

I think that could be a bad idea.

1) Someone has already been banned related to that video.
2) The source site is 'persona non grata' at NeoGAF.

oatmeal

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Doesn't mean you should pimp it every single chance you get. Enough is enough.

This is the second thread I posted it in...well, excluding the one I created and got deleted (after the initial hate fest occurred, and people started getting that it was not really a troll at all and a civilized discussion began).

freddy

Banned
Nintendo could panic now on console sales and kneejerk react or they are suspecting a price drop from Sony and are timing any moves to nullify the impact of that. It's worked in the past...

Anyway thats all off-topic. Back to discussion of the you tube video from OA.

justchris said:
And you think blanket writing checks is going to significantly improve their 3rd party relations? Sure, it'll get them some much needed titles...in 6 months to a year, but it won't have the kind of long term benefit to developer relations that Nintendo actually needs.

Nothing will get 'the kind of long term benefit to developer relations that Nintendo actually needs' aside from 3rd parties finding success on Nintendo systems, and 3rd parties aren't going to find success on Nintendo systems unless there are games on the Nintendo systems, and they aren't going to be games on the Nintendo systems unless Nintendo makes some real incentives for them to be put there (like, say, writing checks).

My stance two years ago was that Nintendo needed to do this if it ever wanted a shot at seeing 3rd party sales on the system. Of course, I didn't expect them to so screw the pooch on their own software down the line.

It's like they saved up all their competence of ten years or so into a couple of shining years and then they're all just sitting around and staring at each other and going 'enh'.

donny2112

Pureauthor said:
It's like they saved up all their competence of ten years or so into a couple of shining years and then they're all just sitting around and staring at each other and going 'enh'.

Iwata: Enh.
Miyamoto: Enh.
Yamauchi: *laughs*

swerve

Hammer24 said:
The question needs to be asked again: whats going to happen first?

360 xing 1mil, PS3 xing 3mil or Wii xing 8mil?

PS3.

Wii will never cross 8 million because they're releasing a new one with teh HDs!1!

charlequin said:

TTFW. Honestly this company just has to get with the times. There certainly has been progress with Monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest X, Mario and Sonic, and giving third party games such as The Conduit and Shaun White gateway during their conferences, but they're still a ways off before even being comparable to the other two companies.

Developers don't want to work with the Wii because it's too weak, the controls are too intimidating, games sell on a legs basis instead of out the door hype, and on top of all that Nintendo isn't paying them to do so. It's crazy to persuade developers into developing games with a low end console? Really? Is it anymore crazy then trying to persuade them into developing for a console that is dead in the region where your franchises sell the most? I highly doubt Tri-Ace and Namco woke up and said to themselves "Let's make our biggest games targeted at our country on a niche console". No Microsoft had to persuade them to do that.

It's like Nintendo was frozen through time since the SNES days and were just unfrozen now and are just now learning to handle third parties. The Wii is selling like it is despite the lack of software due to the other companies screwing up this generation as well as not reaching out to the casual demographic. This is much like the original Playstation, it succeeded due to the faults of the Saturn and N64 as well as grabbing the previously hardly tapped older high school/ college market. The Xbox and Dreamcast saw the success and tried to grab the pie, but came nowhere near as SONY. Why? Because the Playstation 2 had Metal Gear Solid, the Playstation 2 had Final Fantasy, the Playstation 2 had Tony Hawk (the only then next gen version anyway), the Playstation 2 had the amazing new experience known as Grand Theft Auto. There is no doubt that the Playstation 2 was so successful as it rode on the wave of its predecessor, what third party games is the Wii going to ride on? The definitive version of an already fading out franchise (Guitar Hero?). I mean nobody is going to tell me that SONY or Microsoft, or even a new competitor like Apple won't copy the Wii's formula and try and make strong bonds with third parties.

Nintendo found success with their risk and if they want to keep it they need to break some of their super egos.

Eteric Rice

Well, didn't Iwata say there was going to be a few announcements at E3? I guess we can wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath.

[Nintex]

Eteric Rice said:
Well, didn't Iwata say there was going to be a few announcements at E3? I guess we can wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath.
Iwata said they wanted to beat the PS2 in both hardware and software, he would demonstrate software at E3 to reach that goal. Since they're now announcing new games 2 months before they launch and Sin & Punishment 2 is the only game that's launching during or after summer, I'd say we'll get a bunch of good surprises.

Eteric Rice

[Nintex] said:
Iwata said they wanted to beat the PS2 in both hardware and software, he would demonstrate software at E3 to reach that goal. Since they're now announcing new games 2 months before they launch and Sin & Punishment 2 is the only game that's launching during or after summer, I'd say we'll get a bunch of good surprises.

Well, I think Nintendo needs to realize that they can't get to that goal on their own. They make so much money, they should moneyhat a few franchises.

gantz85

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Terrible, terrible Wii sales.

The PS3 should be able to beat it for the next two, maybe even three weeks.

And then there's the FFXIII demo, but its effect on hardware... who knows..

stilgar

Pureauthor said:
Also, concerning Wii: I really wonder how Iwata is responding to all this.

In the latest "Iwata talks", he's clearly showing what is Japanese market for Nintendo, Wii___ and Mario___ apart: a problem they still can't solve.

Here we are

sankao said:
So is it possible for the PS3 YTD to out do the Wii YTD at the end of this year ?
If Nintendo does nothing it might. If FFXIII makes it out this year there's a good chance it could. Again, if Nintendo does nothing.

SimpleDesign said:
If Nintendo does nothing it might. If FFXIII makes it out this year there's a good chance it could. Again, if Nintendo does nothing.

Well if Sony has a price drop and a slim PS3 and Software Emulation PS2 BC update, and if GT5 and FFXIII makes it out this year, then it could be really interesting to see what Nintendo would do.

AranhaHunter said:
Well if Sony has a price drop and a slim PS3 and Software Emulation PS2 BC update, and if GT5 and FFXIII makes it out this year, then it could be really interesting to see what Nintendo would do.
I think it's too soon for a PS3 slim, but a PS2 BC update with GT5 and FFXIII combined with a price drop this fall could move a lot of consoles.

SimpleDesign said:
I think it's too soon for a PS3 slim, but a PS2 BC update with GT5 and FFXIII combined with a price drop this fall could move a lot of consoles.

Well this is a little theory of mine, the PSP has seen 2 significant revisions and rumored to be having a 3rd, Sony has seen a surge in sale with each PSP revision, the PS3 is so fucking huge that it could see 2 revisions bringing it down significantly in size with each revision, a PS3 slim and a PSThree if you will. Might be way off, but I think that's something that Sony should and maybe has considered.

Top Bottom