• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/02 - 03/08

Pachael

spwolf said:
well because of this weeks sales figures, we are now discussing controls and graphics.

:D

let me put it this way, I watched my first Rambo in German with argentinian subtitles (i dont speak any of those two languages)... I loved it. That does not take anything from me enjoying 300 in awesome HD. Things change, thats life.

For those that are slow, gameplay is #1, and good graphics add a lot to good game... at the same time, nothing can save piss poor game. So anyone enjoying an PS2 or Wii game, will enjoy it more if it had awesome graphics (and physics, and AI). With so many games coming out, and so little money, graphics are easy way people differentiate between what should they buy.

Of course, these days i play browser based "RTS" game most of my free time :D . Its html game (not flash), and yeah I would enjoy it even more if it was "real" game but at the same time, it brought gaming to players who never played games before and it made it accessible from phones and any kind of computer you can get your hands on, so it makes sense too, and I am playing it instead of Total War. So there you go.

The last point is instructive on the gameplay front. I like my stuff flashy and bloomy and brown and whatever, but if the gameplay sucks, well, it's gone.

I'm looking at this week's sales figures and I'm finding more brand and gameplay factors rather than graphics or controls.

A large majority of the best selling games in the Top 30 are from established franchises or brands from games that are built upon good gameplay - and the fact that the latest instalments of said franchises are good/fine and don't completely suck helps.

I was going to also add that anime brands also boost sales of games as there's a base that will buy the games without much consideration to quality.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
31. [WII] Wii Play: Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
32. [PS3] Senjou no Valkyria (Playstation 3 the Best) (SEGA)
33. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
34. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
35. [NDS] Chou Gekijouban Keroro Gunsou: Gekishin Dragon Warriors de Arimasu! (Namco Bandai)
36. [NDS] Detective Conan & Kindachi (Namco Bandai)
37. [PS2] King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match (SNK Playmore)
38. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Playstation 2 The Best) (SEGA)
39. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom)
40. [NDS] Shining Force Feather (SEGA)
41. [WII] Wii Play: Pikmin (Nintendo)
42. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
43. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Namco Bandai)
44. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
45. [PSP] Kiniro no Corda (KOEI)
46. [PS2] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Namco Bandai)
47. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
48. [PSP] Idolmaster SP: Perfect Sun (Namco Bandai)
49. [NDS] Simple DS Series Vol. 47: The Suiri: Shinshou 2009 (D3 Publisher)
50. [WII] Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Nintendo)

TOP50
NDS:21
Wii:9
PSP:7
PS2:6
PS3:5
XBOX360:2

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |    LTD   [/U][/B]
NDS      |    43,342 |    47,601 | 822,759 | 25,942,402
PSP      |    59,568 |    35,588 | 536,490 | 11,900,509
WII      |    16,560 |    17,876 | 336,426 |  7,815,327
PS3      |    39,835 |    36,513 | 271,836 |  2,894,264
360      |    14,994 |    11,795 | 125,861 |    956,401
PS2      |     4,954 |     5,099 |  60,850 | 21,460,374
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    32,102 |    35,827 | 643,255 | 1,874,622
DSL      |    11,240 |    11,774 | 179,504 |

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

SOFTWARE | HARDWARE | CONSOLES | HANDHELDS

tn_RE-LTD-111108.png
tn_mc-1-total-weekly-MS-119.png
tn_mc-1-total-weekly-pie-119.png

Jonnyram

This year's gonna be fun.

YTD for the consoles...

Wii : PS3 : 360
336,236 : 271,836 : 125,861 (733933)
45.8% : 37% : 17.1&

...and in the last few weeks, things have been swinging in PS3/360 favour quite strongly.

Tmac

Games like digaes*** greaty benefit from hd too. A game doesnt have to looks like a 3d fps to benefit from HD.

Sharp textures/outlines, vibrant colors and native WS support its more than enought to justify an HD version.

donny2112

Fuzzy said:

Just about every time someone posts something from the OT side, I'm reminded why I pretty much never go to the OT side. :lol

Jonnyram said:
This year's gonna be fun.

YTD for the consoles...

Wii : PS3 : 360
336,236 : 271,836 : 125,861 (733933)
45.8% : 37% : 17.1&

...and in the last few weeks, things have been swinging in PS3/360 favour quite strongly.

If you use NPD's definition of when the year starts (Japanese thread, I know), it's ...

Wii YTD: 216,461
PS3 YTD: 211,182
360 YTD: 106,167

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:

Yeah but there is like nothing even announced for the HD twins now (except the FF13 demo).

justchris

Liabe Brave said:
But this is not a universally superior solution. Look to the PC world, where motion control in GUI interface has been standard for decades with the mouse. But I guarantee you that a competent keyboard-only operator is much faster than any pure mouser. So for a game where menu manipulation didn't pause battle, buttons would excel over motion. Even without such time strictures, the more elaborate a menu, the more you'd have to closely monitor these competing control systems.

There are definitely some situations where pointing/motion control is superior--say, selection of units in an RTS--but others where it isn't, such as activation of a life-saving spell in an RPG. Improved graphics benefit both games, however.

That's not strictly correct, either. Motion controls and pointer controls are not the same thing, and what kiruyama was describing was motion controls vs pointer controls that you are describing. The difference in speed between making a gesture, pointing at a particular option and scrolling through options can be significant. A keyboard is faster because it has enough buttons that scrolling isn't necessary, but that level of complexity has been ruled unsuitable for the console space, so it really isn't an option.

AniHawk

schuelma said:
Yeah but there is like nothing even announced for the HD twins now (except the FF13 demo).

Gran Turismo 5, FFXIII

versus Wii Sports Resort, Dragon Quest X (in like, four or five years?)

kamikaze

rise PS360! real gaming returns! :D

seriously, though, i'm curious how the japanese market will play out when the year is done and if any of these trends creep into other territories (probably not).

PSP | 59,568 | 35,588 | 536,490 | 11,900,509

I'm pretty new to sales age and Media Create but these PSP numbers are fantastic are they not?

I mean a Lot of Gaf members were calling the PSP a failure a few years ago. Some are still calling it a failure even now.

Also if the "Rumored" redesign hits this year, how well do you guys think it will be received?

kassatsu

Banned
Trailblazer said:
I'm pretty new to sales age and Media Create but these PSP numbers are fantastic are they not?

I mean a Lot of Gaf members were calling the PSP a failure a few years ago. Some are still calling it a failure even now.
New colors were released this week, that is what the bump was for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Trailblazer said:

Also if the "Rumored" redesign hits this year, how well do you guys think it will be received?

So far this year PSP is substantially down from last year. This week there were new colors, hence the bump.

Pretty much everything is down except for the 360.

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
Wii YTD: 216,461
PS3 YTD: 211,182
360 YTD: 106,167

it's interesting that the consoles are in a real race this time around....

if only it wasn't a race of consoles withs special needs ...

Lightning

Banned
schuelma said:
So far this year PSP is substantially down from last year. This week there were new colors, hence the bump.

Pretty much everything is down except for the 360.
Is the PS3 still down from this time last year? Bugger.

donny2112

Narcosis said:
epic Killzone 2 NPDs next week?

If anyone thought that the NPD thread loaded slowly due to Mama Robotnik's .gifs, they're not even going to have a chance to read the thread with all the Killzone 2 .gifs that will surely be posted.

Lightning said:
Is the PS3 still down from this time last year?

Last year in this week, Yakuza: Kenzan! was launched. DMC4 was only a few weeks earlier.

ps3 fighting the fight over there.....let's see how long it lasts. But I mean SF4, RE5, Yakuza 3.....that's a pretty strong lineup of releases the last month.

sankao

Out of all territories, Japan was certainly the last where I would have expected to see HD consoles dominating over the Wii.
Anybody has a theory on that ? I mean, HD consoles' software is , from my understanding, less appealing to Japanese consumer than western consumers. Is there a significant difference in pricing ? Or advertising ? Did Japan switch to HD display significantly faster than other territories
(are they sitting closer to the screen ?)
?

sankao said:
Out of all territories, Japan was certainly the last where I would have expected to see HD consoles dominating over the Wii.
Anybody has a theory on that ? I mean, HD consoles' software is , from my understanding, less appealing to Japanese consumer than western consumers. Is there a significant difference in pricing ? Or advertising ? Did Japan switch to HD display significantly faster than other territories
?
1. High profile releases.
2. Dominating isn't exactly correct.

Pachael

sankao said:
?

Score is 8:3:1. I wouldn't say HD is dominating, it's more like the Wii's just taken its foot off the pedal for a bit.

And they haven't dropped the price yet

DarkMehm

donny2112 said:
Last year in this week, Yakuza: Kenzan! was launched. DMC4 was only a few weeks earlier.

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    57,068 |    64,535 |   888,409 |  5,504,569
2. PSP   -    53,924 |    73,706 |   861,346 |  8,462,940
3. NDS   -    48,658 |    51,922 |   872,911 | 22,045,962
4. PS3   -    21,008 |    13,520 |   307,576 |  1,949,252
5. PS2   -    10,429 |    10,986 |   136,880 | 21,063,917
6. 360   -     2,891 |     2,282 |    42,348 |    549,689

In two or three weeks PS3 should be up YoY.

sankao

Dominating may be pushing it, but it seems that the HD/Wii ratio is significantly higher in Japan than in the West this year. Are japanese consumers just more sensitive to game releases, whereas western ones just keep buying the console for previous releases ?

carnon

Banned
sankao said:
?

Japanese market need some big titles. This may change because of the FF13 coming up this year.

Orgen

cvxfreak said:
1. [PS3] Biohazard 5 (Capcom) - 361,000
2. [360] Biohazard 5 (Capcom) - 87,000

Total: 448,000

HOLY FUCKING CRAP.

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

I don't know why, but I think that Dengeki numbers are always "inflated" :| (comparing to MC and Famitsu)

goompapa

bttb said:
First Day Sales (03/12)

[PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei) - 79k (60%)
[NDS] Rittai Picross (Nintendo) - 10k
[WII] Wii de Asobu: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 10k

[NDS] Annie no Atelier: Sera Shima no Renkijutsushi (Gust) - 10k
[PSP] Resistance: Retribution (SCE) - 10k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10223394439.html

So this marks the end of the PS3's thunderstorm for now. Wonder how things will be when the dusts are settled(3 or 4 weeks from now).
My prediction:
PS3: 15-20k
Wii: 10-15k

Until something happens.

Xavien

Ah god, Nintendo really needs to re-acquire some momentum they had, Wii and DS just cant stop falling.

I think this'll be the last time Nintendo leaves the door open for third parties in the future.

Doubledex

Banned
Trailblazer said:

No! Idiots were calling it a failure ;)

goompapa

Xavien said:
Ah god, Nintendo really needs to re-acquire some momentum they had, Wii and DS just cant stop falling.

I think this'll be the last time Nintendo leaves the door open for third parties in the future

They didn't have this drought for the 3rd parties, they have this drought because they are incompetent.

gtj1092

bttb said:
First Day Sales (03/12)

[PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei) - 79k (60%)
[WII] Wii de Asobu: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 10k

[NDS] Annie no Atelier: Sera Shima no Renkijutsushi (Gust) - 10k
[PSP] Resistance: Retribution (SCE) - 10k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10223394439.html

Better than expected sales. These are just really late ports aren't they. Was there any type of marketing push?

sankao said:
Dominating may be pushing it, but it seems that the HD/Wii ratio is significantly higher in Japan than in the West this year. Are japanese consumers just more sensitive to game releases, whereas western ones just keep buying the console for previous releases ?

How important is the ratio? The ratio may be slightly better in Japan but in terms of the hard numbers of consoles sold surely the HD twins have performed far better in the west.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bttb said:
First Day Sales (03/12)

That's pretty bad, actually.

Picross (DS) did 65k week one, and Rittai Picross has been getting a decent advertising push :/

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
That's pretty bad, actually.

Picross (DS) did 65k week one, and Rittai Picross has been getting a decent advertising push :/

Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't continue to be so complacent and self-confident, thinking they can just keep sitting on the sidelines and watching the money pour in?

I guess it'd be a much more dire situation if the Wii & DS weren't each selling millions each month outside of Japan.

Top Bottom