• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

test_account said:
Anyone knows how people's attitude (or what i shall say) are towards Wii Fit in Japan? For some reason i have a feeling that Wii Fit wont be as big as many expect.

I think I am with you on this one. The orientals are already very trim and petit. But if it kicks of everywhere else, it will kick off pretty well. It's all a big 'IF'. Depends how much they market it. NOA. Pussies.

test_account

XP-39C²
the thoroughbred said:
I thought we know that Wii's are being shipped to the US. Why is everyone seem to be worried that Wii sales are in a slump. They would never just suddenly drop like the way they did a few weeks ago. They are trying to keep the momentum in the USA. Maybe even in Europe, we don't know what the status is. I am quite confident that they will come back up, once supply is sorted out. I'm also confident we will see the 4 million seller DS games back in the top10 between now, and January. Maybe for the last time, but we will see them.

The Wii is fairly easy to find in Japan now so it cant be because of low supply. Many people here say its normal that hardware sales in general is slow around this time of year.

Rocksteady33 said:
I think it's the fat countries are the one's that are supposed to eat this up (hint US).

I wish i had the Photoshop skills now to make a picture of a fat kid eating the Wii board hehe. But ye, i think it will be much more popular in USA and Europe.

the thoroughbred said:
I think I am with you on this one. The orientals are already very trim and petit. But if it kicks of everywhere else, it will kick off pretty well. It's all a big 'IF'. Depends how much they market it. NOA. Pussies.

Ye, and another factor i'm thinking about is the size. I saw some game developer or something saying that one of the reasons for the slow sale of PS3 and 360 in Japan was because of the size. The Wii board isnt exactly the smallest accessory out there.

theBishop

Banned
Disclaimer: (ugh... sales...)

Nice to see Portable Ops doing well. Kojima joked that the abbreviation "MPO" is a joke on "NPO" because they didn't expect the game to make money.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
the thoroughbred said:

Well, they are also smart and they got millions to buy brain training.

With marketing, it is not about need. It is about the ability to sell someone they don't WANT.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I mentioned this in the official thread, and I'll mention it here. I'll risk a 1-week ban in saying that Halo 3 will crack the Media Create top ten. :D

cvxfreak

twinturbo2 said:
I mentioned this in the official thread, and I'll mention it here. I'll risk a 1-week ban in saying that Halo 3 will crack the Media Create top ten. :D

I expect Halo 3 to come somewhere in the top 10 as well.

CTLance said:
Oh, and welcome back Cheesemeister.

Xavien said:
Welcome Back Cheese!, i really missed your MC format while you were gone.

I'm not back. I'm in Okinawa!

shurijo.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Poor DS... The fickle Japanese have forsaken you. But I still love you. I'll even cook you dinner.

Odysseus

Banned
i wonder since ds is so obviously dead if i box my lite up just right if wal-mart will accept the return. i still have the receipt.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
yankeeforever2 said:
Nintendo needs to release the DS Ultra lite soon.

It was going to be soon, but they took the prototype outside and it got blown away by the wind.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, they are also smart and they got millions to buy brain training.

With marketing, it is not about need. It is about the ability to sell someone they don't WANT.
I want the ability to sell someone I don't want. :(

AniHawk

Odysseus said:
i wonder since ds is so obviously dead if i box my lite up just right if wal-mart will accept the return. i still have the receipt.

I don't think they accept outdated merchandise.

Odysseus

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
WOW At PSP sales! What made it jump so abnormally high? Or is the tide in Japan just changing with the DS reaching the point where it's in everyone's hands?

I wish

psp 2000 launched

AniHawk said:

:/

oh well, it's still just heavy enough to use as a paper weight, i guess.

Busaiku

The Abominable Snowman said:
WOW At PSP sales! What made it jump so abnormally high? Or is the tide in Japan just changing with the DS reaching the point where it's in everyone's hands?

I wish
It got a redesign?

donny2112 said:
PSP 277,794
DSL 70,523
Wii 24,992
PS2 11,373
PS3 10,732
Xbox360 1,687
GBM 243
GBASP 106
GC 68
GBA 33
DS 15
Damn... that relaunch and CCFFVII have done wonders for them.

If Sony plays this right we could be looking at the largest handheld dominant market the world over.:lol Nintendo and Sony expanding the handheld market in Japan largely. DS is already huge and its only been on the market less then half of it's life expectancy. If the PSP sees a sustained boom, the entire handheld market will prosper... maybe even at the expense of the console market. :S

Fun times are ahead my friends... if Sony can capitalize on it. And it makes me wonder if the reason everything else went down so drastically is because of a lot of people waiting for that "new" PSP and another FFVII.

AniHawk said:
^The best thing since sliced turnips.:lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I would also like to welcome our new console overlord, the only one to increase in sales over last week:

360 1,687 | 1,243

EDarkness

donny2112 said:
PSP 277,794
DSL 70,523
Wii 24,992
PS2 11,373
PS3 10,732
Xbox360 1,687
GBM 243
GBASP 106
GC 68
GBA 33
DS 15

Well, I'm back in Japan. From what I can tell, this seems about right. The PSP is getting TONS of advertising. It's perhaps a little criminal in some way. Yesterday at my local Bic Camera, there were store employees outside with megaphones calling people to buy the new PSP. There's been TV ads run all over the store and even the mom and pop places are running PSP ads like it's the second coming of Christ. Being the journalist I am, I figured I'd ask a few people who were buying PSPs why they were buying and 8 out of 10 already had a PSP and were just buying an upgrade. The big features were TV support and the weight. Of course, with Crisis Core, it does help drive sales a bit. But I figure the sales are going to be high for the next few weeks as people trade up from their old PSP to the new one.

As for the Wii, the big issue is really no games to play. Of the people I spoke with outside of the local Shiita, the big issue was that the system doesn't have enough traditional games. Of course, Power Pro 2 is out and I haven't gotten much of a sample since it's release. Nintendo is going to need to do something to get people to keep buying Wiis as it seems like the lure of Wii Sports just isn't doing it anymore. Not only that, but my guess is the large string of cash-in games and no big exclusives is going to hurt in the long run. People are still buying them, but they're waiting on games and who knows when that's gonna come trough for them. Can't blame them, really. All of the "huge" games are on other systems.

I'll keep an eye on more trends as time goes one. What I found funny is that for some reason a lot of the Wii shovelware games have been released here in Japan. Seems like they're hurtin' and its starting to show.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Insert

"next-gen had a good run"

and

"can't wait for 09/09/09"

jokes here.

Lightning

Banned
Japan do not want consoles confirmed! :lol

I hope the release of Oblivion can prevent the PS3 from falling below 10k again. That is starting to become annoying. When does the buying season start up again in Japan?

AniHawk

Lightning said:
Japan do not want consoles confirmed! :lol

I hope the release of Oblivion can prevent the PS3 from falling below 10k again. That is starting to become annoying. When does the buying season start up again in Japan?

Around November 1 for some reason. It'll be a six week wait at the earliest.

Lightning

Banned
EDarkness said:
Well, I'm back in Japan. From what I can tell, this seems about right. The PSP is getting TONS of advertising. It's perhaps a little criminal in some way. Yesterday at my local Bic Camera, there were store employees outside with megaphones calling people to buy the new PSP. There's been TV ads run all over the store and even the mom and pop places are running PSP ads like it's the second coming of Christ. Being the journalist I am, I figured I'd ask a few people who were buying PSPs why they were buying and 8 out of 10 already had a PSP and were just buying an upgrade. The big features were TV support and the weight. Of course, with Crisis Core, it does help drive sales a bit. But I figure the sales are going to be high for the next few weeks as people trade up from their old PSP to the new one.

As for the Wii, the big issue is really no games to play. Of the people I spoke with outside of the local Shiita, the big issue was that the system doesn't have enough traditional games. Of course, Power Pro 2 is out and I haven't gotten much of a sample since it's release. Nintendo is going to need to do something to get people to keep buying Wiis as it seems like the lure of Wii Sports just isn't doing it anymore. Not only that, but my guess is the large string of cash-in games and no big exclusives is going to hurt in the long run. People are still buying them, but they're waiting on games and who knows when that's gonna come trough for them. Can't blame them, really. All of the "huge" games are on other systems.

I'll keep an eye on more trends as time goes one. What I found funny is that for some reason a lot of the Wii shovelware games have been released here in Japan. Seems like they're hurtin' and its starting to show.
What did you hear about the PS3? Are they waiting for something or is Sony just sucking at advertising it?

Around November 1 for some reason. It'll be a six week wait at the earliest.

Fuck!

Sony really need to do something about this. It really is unacceptable. Falling below 10k again after nearly a year on the market is just bad...

What's amazing about these numbers is that the HUGE PSP sales over the last two weeks haven't really taken that many sales away from the DS.

DS is still clocking remarkably close to the 77K mark they were selling before this whole FF:Crisis Core/PSP relaunch fury started.

Amazing.

I suppose this is the closest thing to proof that the old theory about the DS/PSP "war," that the handheld market and was more about expanding the market than about a zero-sum game, is probably a valid one.

cvxfreak

Yeah, I think Japan felt the PSP advertising blitz for the last three or so weeks. I'm curious to see where PSP sales will level out at after another few weeks.

sphinx

the piano man
I used to like watching Pantherlotus' graphs and analysis.

what happened to him? was he banned or just got bored of doing the charts?

Top Bottom