• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/14 - 1/20 2008

botticus

DiddyBop said:
between the DS and wii,M&S will prolly top out at around 1.2 million.do you guys think it will hit its target of 4 mill WW? and damn,i didnt know layton was such a huge thing in Japan
It will hit 4 million easily. I won't doubt Sega again.

Kyoufu said:
If you're including the G expansion, perhaps.

If you guys think this week is bad for Sony, then watch when DMC4/Disgaea 3 get massacred by Smash Bros. in a couple of weeks :(
NomarTyme is probably right about G killing regular MHP2 off.

Disgaea 3 will probably do 100k or so, like the PS2 games.

ethelred

jay said:
His complaint was legitimate but the camaraderie of this site has made it virtually pointless to even try to defend the position that useful info is worthwhile no matter what its source.

His complaint wasn't legitimate. He's bitter over the fact that months ago his protestations against Cheesemeister and his insistence on bland threads were rejected; after being forced to give up on that crusade (where he bitched about it every week for months), he comes back tonight to create a shitty thread with incorrectly translated games and a bunch of missing games.

He needs to find some deeper meaning in his life. Maybe being banned will give him that opportunity?

EDarkness

ethelred said:
His complaint wasn't legitimate. He's bitter over the fact that months ago his protestations against Cheesemeister and his insistence on bland threads were rejected; after being forced to give up on that crusade (where he bitched about it every week for months), he comes back tonight to create a shitty thread with incorrectly translated games and a bunch of missing games.

He needs to find some deeper meaning in his life.

No idea what was "shitty" about it. The numbers were there. The important part of these threads is not the format, but the numbers themselves. Regardless of who it was, there was no reason to be rude and ultimately ban him. It's wrong on many accounts.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
perfectchaos007 said:
Super Mario Galaxy to hit one million? "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

Don't ask 'Can I?', ask 'I Can?'!

STEVE HOLT!

go go smg!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
It's CoolTrick. Random newly non-junior member, cvxfreak, other normal Sales-Ager? Not a big deal. "Just wait for Cheesemeister next time." CoolTrick? "Dogpile him."

In principle, I agree with CoolTrick, but he's too stubborn about it.

For me the whole thing is the fucking nerd race to get it up first before the whole thing is translated. He actually started trying to defend WHY he posted it rather trying to get the translations finished. His whole argument is about trying to get the information out to "the people" as quickly as possible regardless of who posts it.

I don't care who the shit posts it, at least get all the information up BEFORE you hit the [post thread] button. Otherwise, what other reason are you posting but for ego? Even now you can go back into last week's thread, see what he was trying to post, and see it all filled with holes where he hadn't yet translated. Two minutes later, this perfectly and consistently formated thread is created with not an ego in sight. And look, every spot is filled in.

If this is some gallant challenge that a couple of you have taken up because it seems unfair, at least look at the bigger picture. The dude is a fuckin schmuck and has been for MONTHS about this. All because he didn't want pictures in his OP.

jay

ethelred said:

He needs to find some deeper meaning in his life.

I found his thread to be useful and reject the premise that blandly formatted information is worthless. If his behavior in the past mimicked this current example I don't see what he did wrong. If his old behavior was being a douche bag and not arguing that posting info for people is useful than I accept I jumped into this debate prematurely and apologize.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tiktaalik said:
Dragon Quest is a hell of a money printer. Could we expect the same from V and VI or is IV some favoured one that would do better?
Expect DQVI to do more since it hasn't copped a remake ever.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EDarkness said:
No idea what was "shitty" about it. The numbers were there. The important part of these threads is not the format, but the numbers themselves. Regardless of who it was, there was no reason to be rude and ultimately ban him. It's wrong on many accounts.

The mods can defend themselves, but basically several months ago he bitched up a storm and IMO was ruining the MC threads with his complaining. It looked like the same thing was going to happen again. I personally want the MC thread to be about the sales, not about Cool Trick reopening a nearly year old grudge for page after page.

donny2112

Anyone dogging on CoolTrick for not having "good enough" formatting or other such nonsense need to pull your head out of the sand. Even Cheesemeister's awesome formatting didn't come from scratch overnight, so rejecting data because it isn't formatted nicely is just plain stupid.

Anyone dogging on CoolTrick for pulling another CoolTrick Media-Create thread moment, continue.

jay

PantherLotus said:
I don't care who the shit posts it, at least get all the information up BEFORE you hit the [post thread] button. Otherwise, what other reason are you posting but for ego? Even now you can go back into last week's thread, see what he was trying to post, and see it all filled with holes where he hadn't yet translated. Two minutes later, this perfectly and consistently formated thread is created with not an ego in sight. And look, every spot is filled in.

This is a very fair argument. If he is fighting for his right to post info and his motivation is simply to stroke his e-penis then I can see why he wasn't treated very nicely.

IceIpor

Actually, wasn't an agreement made between the NeoGAF collective and a few of the mods a while back?

I think it was along the lines of only Cheesemeister and a few select others would have permission to post Media Create threads after the whole episode where everyone was racing to become the first to post the thread got out of hand.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
Anyone dogging on CoolTrick for not having "good enough" formatting or other such nonsense need to pull your head out of the sand. Even Cheesemeister's awesome formatting didn't come from scratch overnight, so rejecting data because it isn't formatted nicely is just plain stupid.

Anyone dogging on CoolTrick for pulling another CoolTrick Media-Create thread moment, continue.

Formatting's not the problem. When you've got game names translated incorrectly and a bunch of games not even listed at all because you've not translated them and you rush to post the thread up anyway just because you want to be first and because you want to beat Cheesemeister because you've hated his formatting ever since people expressed that they liked it, that's a problem.

He didn't do it to make the info available. He wanted to prove his stupid point and carry out his old grudge, and when his thread was locked, he segued right back into bitching about Cheese again. He got called on the whole deal. Good riddance.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Eh. His own fault really. He wants to bat for stupid reasons then by all means go for it.

This and that are really all you need about CoolTrick's pent up rage about the whole issue. But as Panther said - if you're going to post an MC thread at least fill out the blank spots eh?

We are not going to go back to MC threads of years ago.

jay said:
This is a very fair argument. If he is fighting for his right to post info and his motivation is simply to stroke his e-penis then I can see why he wasn't treated very nicely.

I used to do the EGM threads around here (or at least I did for a few months straight) but I have a job now and can't do it anymore, so other people do it. Do I get pissed off about it? Do I complain that the formatting isn't like mine? No. Whoever gets the info first should post it if it hasn't been already, imho.

jay

I think I've revealed how green I am. You guys seem right on the issue, but you can hopefully see how to the regular bystander it looked like a pretty unfair situation.

Lightning

Banned
Well I can't say I am overly amused that the only PS3 title charting in Japan is a FPS...

Other then that, Monster Hunter coninues this unbelieveable show of legs and Nintendo dominate the crap out of the charts again. :lol

donny2112

IceIpor said:
I think it was along the lines of only Cheesemeister and a few select others would have permission to post Media Create threads after the whole episode where everyone was racing to become the first to post the thread got out of hand.

I don't think it's that restrictive. Since Cheesemeister started posting threads, I believe cvxfreak, Raw64life, and jonnyram have all started threads. One thing that they were all fine with, though, is updating their original post with Cheesemeister's format, since it is very handy and well-formatted, once he came around. Cheesemeister can't always be here, after all.

wiifit.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
EDarkness said:
I agree. Banning him was wrong. He didn't agree with the status quo, but that doesn't mean he should be banned for it.

You really think presentation is 2nd to speed? And I'm not talking 10th or 11th here, 2nd meaning literally an hour or two wait; the mess the other thread was is worth it to you just to have it quicker? And by mess I mean the layout and information.

Consistency is very useful with sales data, and I apologize this is my second post on this issue, but I would like to thank Cheesemeister for taking the time & effort to present these threads in an elegant & clean manner.

Speed is not the most important thing, unless you're buying and selling stocks. The rush to post first only encourages sloppy formatting in my opinion, and less incentive for those who decide to dedicate time to making a nice presentation for the benefit of others.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
I don't think it's that restrictive. Since Cheesemeister started posting threads, I believe cvxfreak, Raw64life, and jonnyram have all started threads. One thing that they were all fine with, though, is updating their original post with Cheesemeister's format, since it is very handy and well-formatted, once he came around. Cheesemeister can't always be here, after all.

Another thing that I think is HIGHLY underrated are the links in each post to the past 5 weeks of data. I can't count how many times I've used those links.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Now now now, lets stop this silly argument. Sales age is sales age, and if the consensus is that we like fully translated lists with nice pictures and pie charts, then let us have what we want, and thank you mods/ the majority of sales-agers that side with Cheesiemeister.

Back to topic, any word on Famitsu's HW estimates? Is it almost the same as last week?

muramura said:
Now now now, lets stop this silly argument. Sales age is sales age, and if the consensus is that we like fully translated lists with nice pictures and pie charts, then let us have what we want, and thank you mods/ the majority of sales-agers that side with Cheesiemeister.

Back to topic, any word on Famitsu's HW estimates? Is it almost the same as last week?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

DSL 91000
PSP 65000
PS2 13000
PS3 32000
Wii 76000
360 4400

1.Wii Fit 108000(1114000)
2.Mario & Sonic DS 91000
3.Mario Party DS 38000(1531000)
4.Wii Sports  31000(2664000)
5.Wii Play 19000(2139000)
6.Monster Hunter Portable 2 18000(1569000)
7.Layton 2 17000(714000)
8.Mario & Sonic Wii 17000(474000)
9.Mario Galaxy 17000(844000)
10.Mario Party 8 15000(1154000)

Other new titles
13.School Days 11000
...Drift Nights PS2 3900
...Sonic Riders 3700
...Trauma Center 2 3100
...Drift Nights 360 1400
...From the Abyss 1200

Other titles
11.Mario Kart 14000(2796000)
12.Final Fantasy IV 11000(559000)
14.Dragon Quest IV 10000(1150000)
15.Layton 1 10000(813000)
16.New Super Mario Bros 10000(5061000)
17.Animal Crossing 10000(4564000)
18.Winning Eleven 2008 PS2 9600(605000)
20.Rune Factory 2 8800(83000)
21.Minna no Golf Portable 2 8000(202000)
23.Call Of Duty 4 PS3 7800(58000)
24.Star Ocean First Departure 7700(183000)
25.Pawapoke10 7700(215000)
26.Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (The Best!) 7500(103000)
27.More Brain Training 7200(4823000)
29.Household Diary 6600(403000)
30.Literature Collection 6600(182000)

From last weeks thread.

jgwhiteus

muramura said:

From the other thread: EDIT: D'oh! Beaten!
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

DSL 91000
PSP 65000
PS2 13000
PS3 32000
Wii 76000
360 4400

1.Wii Fit 108000(1114000)
2.Mario & Sonic DS 91000
3.Mario Party DS 38000(1531000)
4.Wii Sports  31000(2664000)
5.Wii Play 19000(2139000)
6.Monster Hunter Portable 2 18000(1569000)
7.Layton 2 17000(714000)
8.Mario & Sonic Wii 17000(474000)
9.Mario Galaxy 17000(844000)
10.Mario Party 8 15000(1154000)

Other new titles
13.School Days 11000
...Drift Nights PS2 3900
...Sonic Riders 3700
...Trauma Center 2 3100
...Drift Nights 360 1400
...From the Abyss 1200

Other titles
11.Mario Kart 14000(2796000)
12.Final Fantasy IV 11000(559000)
14.Dragon Quest IV 10000(1150000)
15.Layton 1 10000(813000)
16.New Super Mario Bros 10000(5061000)
17.Animal Crossing 10000(4564000)
18.Winning Eleven 2008 PS2 9600(605000)
20.Rune Factory 2 8800(83000)
21.Minna no Golf Portable 2 8000(202000)
23.Call Of Duty 4 PS3 7800(58000)
24.Star Ocean First Departure 7700(183000)
25.Pawapoke10 7700(215000)
26.Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (The Best!) 7500(103000)
27.More Brain Training 7200(4823000)
29.Household Diary 6600(403000)
30.Literature Collection 6600(182000)

Kyoufu

Kandinsky said:
Any DMC4 and SSBB predictions? i say 150k and 280k respectively (first week)

My predictions:

SSBB - 400k
DMC4 - 120k
Disgaea 3 - 30k
Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - 140k

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Also, because everyone including myself seems to be swingin from Cheesy's balls tonight, I feel the need to tear him down a notch just so he knows that he's not perfect: I never see him give really thorough analysis of data, nor opinions, nor predictions. I can say this because I'm mostly the same way, if a little more gabby and chart-happy. I'd like to see you post more in other threads cheese! Let's hear what you're thinkin, not just what your macros can spit out. :p

Also, jay, you're not green; you're a schmuck. If I had seen only the other thread and not this one I might not have known that you had found the depth of wrongness in your opinions. It's a common failing of GAF, so don't feel bad. Learn to review what you've written and think on whether you're actually contributing. I have a least 1000 half-written posts that thoroughly lambasted posters for some unknown opinion but never had the heart/effort to [post], several hundred half-witty replies that I couldn't tell how it would be taken, and several hundred more LOLs that didn't need to be posted.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
donny2112 said:
In two weeks.

I was going to say wrong because OMG! SSB:B is getting released next thursday, but then I realized that it won't count till the week after.

Anyway, 1/31-2/6 should look like

1. SSBB ~500k
2. DMC 4 (PS3) ~ 150-200k.
3. Wiifit ~90k
4. ToD:DC ~80k
7. Disgaea 3 ~40k
15-20. DMC 4 (360)

donny2112

Kandinsky said:
Any DMC4 and SSBB predictions? i say 150k and 280k respectively (first week)

:lol

I may be falling into another SMG trap, but I think SSBB will be sold out the first week. Reported first week shipments are ~600K, so ~600K for its first week. DMC3's first week on the PS2 was ~180K, so I'd say probably 90K for the PS3 version first week.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not only did CoolTrick fail to provide a full software ranking [missing titles], which included some mistranslations, but he also failed to provide previous week rank - which, in sales-age, is highly important.

All CoolTrick tried to do was one-up the big pepper jack, rather than provide useful and substantial data.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Disgaea 3 won't get past 70k LTD. DMC4 will probably do 200k LTD.

Nah. It'll pass 70k lifetime. Probably do a bit over a 100k like the PS2 N1 games.

But it'll open at like 40-50k probably.

muramura said:

It's not about siding with anyone. I love the work Cheese puts into his threads. If CT is too stubborn to edit his thread with Cheese's formatting that's one thing, but ultimately I want as much information as I can get as quick as I can get it.

Congrats on the anniversary Cheese :D

Top Bottom