• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
I'm surprised Halo 3 didn't bounce back.
I'm not. It might crawl to 100k eventually, but not much more.

ethelred said:
I have to say again that the big surprise for me is how well Kyotaro Nishimura Mystety launched. Compared not only to Tecmo's other franchises (even the top flagship ones), but also compared to other text/graphical adventure games... it's really damned impressive.

I completely agree. I wasn't expecting anywhere near this level of sales for this title. Very pleasant surprise.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Japanese GAFers- Any hype building for Galaxy yet?

noonche

Cheesemeister said:
Not my mistake.

sports-ds.gif

It's also apparently an adventure game too! Someone's on the ball over there.

Jonnyram

AAK said:
When was God of War 2 released?
October 25.

Interesting to see ASH selling less than Blue Dragon on a system with a far bigger userbase. I wonder how the Blue Dragon DS game will sell. Though, in all honesty, ASH doesn't have a remotely interesting character design. The ads for this game didn't make me interested in the story either... so I guess there is some fundamental reason why ASH is not taking off.

Dalthien

VOOK said:
Wii version of DBZ drops like a rock.
Not really. It fell from ~40k to ~15k. Percentage-wise, it actually held up quite a bit better than the PS2 version (~205k to ~47k). Although it clearly is miles behind in absolute numbers.

In any case, the drop for Wii DBZ isn't anything out of the ordinary for any system.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'll have you know SEGA is in the best financial shape they've been in years!

As far as pachinko machines operations go, sure.

Jonnyram said:
October 25.

Interesting to see ASH selling less than Blue Dragon on a system with a far bigger userbase. I wonder how the Blue Dragon DS game will sell. Though, in all honesty, ASH doesn't have a remotely interesting character design. The ads for this game didn't make me interested in the story either... so I guess there is some fundamental reason why ASH is not taking off.

Err... Really? I find Minaba's designs better by far than Toriyama's. And they're infinitely more interesting, too (in the same way that Inoue's Lost Odyssey designs are). Oh well.

Saitou

Banned
Jonnyram said:
October 25.

Yes, someone who also dislikes the design!

Just to repeat myself, character design for ASH is awful and fills me with an uncanny valley feeling.

Jcgamer60 said:
I wish more of the Japanese text adventures would make their way over to North America.
So true :(
Ethelred's post reminded me of Project Hacker, whose concept I always found interesting but never actually played due to lack of japonnaise skills.

pilonv1 said:
ASH is nothing short of a marketing disaster. It's a good game by an extremely well-known designer on the hottest system in Japan, and it's going to choke and sputter past 100k.

HAY WE'RE WORKING ON A GAME CALLED ASH, HERE'S A SCREENSHOT. ENJOY YOU WON'T SEE ANYMORE FOR A COUPLE YEARS

a couple years later

HAY REMEMBER ASH WELL IT'S OUT TOMORROW ENJOY

pilonv1 said:
If only SEGA had been behind it...
Virtually anyone would have handled it better. It's hard to imagine it being handled worse. Hell, Microsoft sold more Blue Dragon on the 360 than ASH is going to reach on the DS.

Tyrannical said:
Wii sales are starting to look like PS3 sales now. Yup, console gaming in JP is dead, it's all handheld now.

This is the future of our fast paced, always on the move world, really.
It won't completely take over for a while, but console gaming's days are numbered.

Jiggy

Was ASH ever announced for English localization? Because if not (and possibly even if so), well... I'm certainly not expecting that to happen at this point.

When Archaic Sealed Heat was 1st announced I said it sounded like "old man farts in a jar". Looking at the sales, somebody opened the lid.

Dalthien

I hate using Amazon as a barometer for anything, especially for Japan, where X360 games are routinely near the top of the bestseller list, but having said that...

It looks like WiiFit just might have a very positive effect on Wii sales after all. WiiFit is currently #1, but more interesting is the fact that it has helped to pull the Wii itself back up to #3. I don't check Amazon all that frequently, but I don't think the Wii has been anywhere near the Top 25 for a couple months now.

It will be interesting to see just what effect WiiFit really does have on the Wii.

Vinnk

They had a big advertising push for Lair and as far as I know the kiosks did not have a playable demo, they just showed this video. A lot of people were impressed by that. I know at least a few of my friends bought that games based on the video alone. I also know that used copies are already available. I don't expect this one to have any legs.

Evlar

Banned
Vinnk said:
They had a big advertising push for Lair and as far as I know the kiosks did not have a playable demo, they just showed this video. A lot of people were impressed by that. I know at least a few of my friends bought that games based on the video alone. I also know that used copies are already available. I don't expect this one to have any legs.
Do your friends have any comments on the game?

donny2112

Vinnk said:

Halo 3 supply or lack thereof?

Vinnk

I only got feedback from one guy and actually he really likes it. Then again he is a fan of anything with dragons. I'll see if I can get some more feedback for you later.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
Halo 3 supply or lack thereof?

I have not been to all my stores recently, but I do know one store was sold out of it a few days ago. They also sold out of 360s. That sounds more impressive than it should though, they only had 2.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I usually in media create threads someone would have posted inbetween my two posts. Thread is slow today.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Terrell said:
LAIR IN THE TOP TEN??!?

Wow... Japanese PS3 owners must be really desperate to try and justify their purchase.

well, Wii owners are so desperate to justify their purchase they bought 2 copies of Wii Sports just so they'd have another game on their shelf

donny2112

Vinnk said:
I have not been to all my stores recently, but I do know one store was sold out of it a few days ago. They also sold out of 360s. That sounds more impressive than it should though, they only had 2.

Seen many used copies around? From your observations, it seems like it may still be in shortage, so a bounce back may still occur in later weeks. We'll know more about how it's selling when januswon posts the Famitsu 360 software totals in November through mid-October.

Vinnk said:
Edit: Sorry for the double post, I usually in media create threads someone would have posted inbetween my two posts. Thread is slow today.

MC threads have been slowish for weeks, but they're still a blazing pace compared to a year ago.

Edit:
For reference, last year's thread for this week had less than 250 posts. We're almost at 100 without any hardware! :lol

perfectchaos007 said:
Wii sales under 20k this week would be MADNESS

Famitsu had it going up to 24K. It also had PS3 and 360 getting perilously close. I hope MC will have the streams cross, but it's unlikely.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh wow that's awesome for Tecmo, they got Nintendo to help them out a bit with the marketing a bit but putting the creator's voice on touch.jp and it looks like it payed off... unless they shipped a lot more than that.

Segata Sanshiro said:
ASH is nothing short of a marketing disaster. It's a good game by an extremely well-known designer on the hottest system in Japan, and it's going to choke and sputter past 100k.

HAY WE'RE WORKING ON A GAME CALLED ASH, HERE'S A SCREENSHOT. ENJOY YOU WON'T SEE ANYMORE FOR A COUPLE YEARS

a couple years later

HAY REMEMBER ASH WELL IT'S OUT TOMORROW ENJOY
That's Nintendo's marketing tactic for all games now. :(

This is horrible for new or unestablished IPs.

Taurus

davepoobond said:
well, Wii owners are so desperate to justify their purchase they bought 2 copies of Wii Sports just so they'd have another game on their shelf
:lol :lol

Good one.

davepoobond said:

Well I guess PS3 owners would need 4 and a half copies of Resistance to justify their 599 USD PS3. Oh man

Top Bottom