• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know we all joke around about it, but it really is a little scary for this industry how dead next-gen is in Japan.

Dalthien

cbjars said:
Blah, another not so interesting Week, but Nice to see some more next-gen consoles on top 30
Really?

This week Top 30:

Wii - 5
PS3 - 1
360 - 1

Last Week:

Wii - 5
PS3 - 1
360 - 0

2 Weeks ago:

Wii - 6
PS3 - 2
360 - 1

GDJustin said:
I know we all joke around about it, but it really is a little scary for this industry how dead next-gen is in Japan.
I don't know. The past month has been slow, but this is a traditionally slow period for Japan anyway. Looking at the big picture, the next-gen home console market is positioned quite closely with last gen in terms of hardware at this time. The X360 and XBox were both pretty much irrelevant, the PS3 is tracking quite closely with the Gamecube, and the Wii is tracking quite closely with the PS2. Obviously the swap in positions between Nintendo and Sony is a big change, but the total numbers are matching up quite well at this point.

The real difference isn't how the home console market is performing, but how much stronger the portable market has become.

GDJustin said:
It is, but it also makes for a good cautionary tale about watching for warning signs and heeding your customers' demands, not having the customer suffer yours.

Im not that surprised by Lair, 22K isn't exactly huge sales. Fair enough it made the top ten but that isn't really that impressive. I think this game cops a lot more flak than it deserves.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
How much money does Nintendo have? Sooo much money.

I find it challenging to say anything worthwhile in Media Create threads.

Jiggy

GDJustin said:
Only for those who don't want a portable-only future. :D

Pretty low week all around. Seeing Lair in the Top 10 is funny but it'll be out of the Top 10 or maybe even the Top 30 next week.

ethelred said:
I have to say again that the big surprise for me is how well Kyotaro Nishimura Mystety launched. Compared not only to Tecmo's other franchises (even the top flagship ones), but also compared to other text/graphical adventure games... it's really damned impressive.

- chart -

Please note: if my chart is misaligned, remember -- DON'T BLAME ME, BLAME YOURSELF OR GOD IE!
Very interesting and impressive indeed. Too bad all these games never make it to the west.

Lobster

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I predict NiGHTS will outsell ASH easily.

Nintendo fucked up bad.

I agree. NiGHTS is a big thing for Sega..They're going to pimp that game and advertise that game a lot. Or so I think they are.

duckroll said:
I heard PGR4 sold like 7k. lulz

If you go to pgrnations.com, you can see that there have been 6,892 japanese online players for PGR4. The actual number of sold copies is probably quite a bit higher, and the number is not at all bad, since currently there are 26,399 US players and 33,381 UK players that have played PGR4 online.

duckroll

BrokenSymmetry said:
If you go to pgrnations.com, you can see that there have been 6,892 japanese online players for PGR4. The actual number of sold copies is probably quite a bit higher, and the number is not at all bad, since currently there are 26,399 US players and 33,381 UK players that have played PGR4 online.

So what you're basically saying is that the game is a flop worldwide? Okay! :lol

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
ASH is nothing short of a marketing disaster. It's a good game by an extremely well-known designer on the hottest system in Japan, and it's going to choke and sputter past 100k.

HAY WE'RE WORKING ON A GAME CALLED ASH, HERE'S A SCREENSHOT. ENJOY YOU WON'T SEE ANYMORE FOR A COUPLE YEARS

a couple years later

HAY REMEMBER ASH WELL IT'S OUT TOMORROW ENJOY
:lol so true.

:(

Ikael

HAY WE'RE WORKING ON A GAME CALLED ASH, HERE'S A SCREENSHOT. ENJOY YOU WON'T SEE ANYMORE FOR A COUPLE YEARS

a couple years later

HAY REMEMBER ASH WELL IT'S OUT TOMORROW ENJOY

Very true. This is something that baffles me. It seems that Nintendo forgot during the Gamecube era how to market a hardcore game. Now, they have been great at selling non games and the like, but it is as if they are completely uncappable of marketing hardcore games properly, even their stablished franchises. Yes, they sell well, but well, that's expected. Their marketing have been horrendous.

No preview channel for MP3 in Europe, the complete lack of hype building for any title (Batallion wars, for example), their hermetism in everything, the shoehorning of people playing with a "weee" expression on ads like Crossbow trainning or Mario Galaxy... an advertising formula that works for one product doesn't necessarily will work for another different one, but they don't seems to get it. The only hardcore game that they have been able to market properly is Smash Bross, and that probably have more to do with Sakurai handing the whole project.

Roi

Cheesemeister said:
07. [PS3] Lair (Sony) - 22,000 / NEW

288yul3.gif

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Agent Icebeezy said:
interesting

Your avatar is trying to save multiple cookies for home.comcast.net onto my computer. Please host it somewhere else to avoid this crap, and clean out your PMs because they are full. Thanks

Ikael said:
It seems that Nintendo forgot during the Gamecube era how to market a hardcore game.

Did they ever know? There's an audience of gamers, weaned on Nintendo consoles but carried into adulthood and beyond on PlayStations, who probably line up pretty closely with what we mean when we say "hardcore" -- I don't think Nintendo has ever, even once, successfully marketed something to this demographic.

Jokeropia

charlequin said:
Did they ever know? There's an audience of gamers, weaned on Nintendo consoles but carried into adulthood and beyond on PlayStations, who probably line up pretty closely with what we mean when we say "hardcore" -- I don't think Nintendo has ever, even once, successfully marketed something to this demographic.
You're not suggesting that you're only "hardcore" if you left Nintendo for the Playstations, are you?
davepoobond said:
what happens after they're done waiting? are they done playing with the wii?
Uh, then they play the game. Only two weeks left now.

tehbear

Segata Sanshiro said:
It is, but it also makes for a good cautionary tale about watching for warning signs and heeding your customers' demands, not having the customer suffer yours.

I blame this whole HDTV transition. It won't be an issue next gen.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
You're not suggesting that you're only "hardcore" if you left Nintendo for the Playstations, are you?

He is, and he's correct.

Hardcore gamers by definition go where the games go rather than chaining themselves to inferior tertiary consoles out of corporate loyalty.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
He is, and he's correct.
I must be casual then, because I bought all the consoles. :lol

Seriously though, being "hardcore" is not about console preference but about how big of a hobby videogames is for you. To be perfectly honest though I'm not that fond of the term to begin with, I just dislike elitism concerning videogame preference.

Edit: Master of stealth edits indeed. :p

Jokeropia said:

I really need to remember not to use the word "hardcore" on GAF because people have so many stupid misconceptions about the "hardcore"/"casual" split on here but pretty much, yes. PS2 was such a dominant system in all genres that anyone who didn't own one (or play its games on another system) really can't be considered a "hardcore" gamer at all.

That's all really beside my point, though. In America and Japan the hardcore markets are defined by very different genres, but most of them are currently genres that came into their own on PlayStation hardware. Sony's got a long history of working to successfully market 3d action games, realistic driving simulators, marquee jRPGs, modern sandbox games, etc., both from their internal studios and key 3rd parties; Nintendo has never developed games in many of these genres and hasn't ever had call to push them on the market.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jokeropia said:
Uh, then they play the game. Only two weeks left now.

the point is that if there's always gonna be a "big game from Nintendo" on the horizon, and if they're not buying any other games and always waiting for it, that's going to be a detrimental habit to have in your userbase that needs to change.

Top Bottom