• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

pickwick said:
As in NA : almost 300k PSP sold in october and none game in the top 20...
Well Sony does advertise it as being an all-in-one solution but the only guy I know who has a PSP uses his mainly for gaming and not as a stand-in for his iPod. He does not pirate his games but we all know piracy hurts PSP software sales. It's pretty easy to do, you can play games from stick rather than carrying around UMDs and software prices for new titles are far too expensive.

It's not that bad for Sony since they probably make a bit of a profit on the hardware but it hurts devs/publishers, making a PSP release for games risky.

ksamedi

Lobster said:
PSP is kind of like Wii almost, except Wii is the biggest seller not the second.

Atleast the Wii has software sales, even if a lot of people believe hardcore games won't sell on Wii, it still has good software sales, casual or hardcore. Nobody buys a Wii without a game.

spwolf

perfectchaos007 said:
Okay so DS had boosted sales because of DQIV and PSP had boosted sales because.....

I mean no PSP title even made it in the top 30. What the hell? Just a random ass bump for PSP. Japan didn't have a black friday of sorts did they?

its holidays and also PSP TV addon sells good too.

jesusraz

HK-47 said:
How is Star Force 2 doing in relation to SF 1?

I can't find its first week sales, but it might have been around 50-60,000 in total for all three versions, i.e. far lower than the million+ people expected at the time due to the success of the GBA games. Famitsu revealed all three sold a total of 219,171 during 2006 and didn't Capcom reveal recently the games had sold something like 550,000 units by now, thus beating the expected sales of 500,000?

Anyway, the two game format should work better than the three of last time. We'll see. I wonder if Capcom's estimates are the same this time, or whether it feels it can climb up to 600,000+ in the long-run.

pickwick

Phife Dawg said:
It's not that bad for Sony since they probably make a bit of a profit on the hardware but it hurts devs/publishers, making a PSP release for games risky.

As you say, it certainly bad for publishers and for the whole vidéo game industry.

EA's revenue on PSP : "but the PSP's plummeted, down from $64 million in 2006 to $21 million in 2007" (according gamasutra)

Kosma

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Because the series is so shunned in the homeland, that they can't find any more young Japanese developers that are willing to work on it. Nintendo can't ignore the competition for new recruits, afterall.

I have to say this is the freshest angle and insight I have read in along time. Never thought about that companies get people who want to work for them because they want to make great and popular games. Makes you think how many talented people "want" to work on casual games in general. Not many I guess.

justjohn

hmmm, looking at the ps3 software sales, i think mc will have wii above ps3 tonite. whats up with this huge difference anyway?

Dez said:
Galaxy barely dropped in terms of raw sales #s, and was at #10 on Famitsu. It's legs are better than I expected (well, given the drops in the first two weeks)

Mario fucking Party DS is holding up better than Galaxy.

Give it up, SMG's sales aren't good at all. Just because they aren't disastrous doesn't mean that they are decent. It is a good game and if Japan as a whole isn't interested, then it is really their loss. Coming up with elaborate spin or wishing upon a star that it sells twice the amount of copies the next week is pretty sad. Reminds me of the Game Cube and Dreamcast days where fanboys kept hoping for massive sales increases that never came.

I'm not pissed, just seeing something that has happened before.

botticus

The Experiment said:

Give it up, SMG's sales aren't good at all. Just because they aren't disastrous doesn't mean that they are decent. It is a good game and if Japan as a whole isn't interested, then it is really their loss. Coming up with elaborate spin or wishing upon a star that it sells twice the amount of copies the next week is pretty sad. Reminds me of the Game Cube and Dreamcast days where fanboys kept hoping for massive sales increases that never came.

Why bother comparing it to Mario Party DS? Mario Party 8 did better than Galaxy, DS was destined for greatness.

botticus said:
Why bother comparing it to Mario Party DS? Mario Party 8 did better than Galaxy, DS was destined for greatness.
Well I wouldn't say 'destined' considering MP Advance was a bomb and that was the only precedence we had for portable MP.

TunaLover

Lobster said:
Poor Galaxy but surprisingly im even more worried about UC. I hope that game reachs 300k.

UC has a good start with 82,637 the launch week, then fall drastically, it could get +150K in Japan only. Who knows it depends on its legs for now.

oo Kosma oo said:
I have to say this is the freshest angle and insight I have read in along time. Never thought about that companies get people who want to work for them because they want to make great and popular games. Makes you think how many talented people "want" to work on casual games in general. Not many I guess.
It's ridiculous though, every game dev would give an arm and a leg to work on the next Mario, even if SMG stopped selling right now.

The Experiment said:

It's MP, on a popular system, launching close before the biggest shopping season of the year. You may not like it but MP has more sales potential than SMG. It may not be as good as SMG but since when did great game automatically equal great sales?

Crusade

pickwick said:
As you say, it certainly bad for publishers and for the whole vidéo game industry.

EA's revenue on PSP : "but the PSP's plummeted, down from $64 million in 2006 to $21 million in 2007" (according gamasutra)
EA's support on PSP is basically non-existant compared to where it was since they started focusing on next-gen. They have no room to complain

Crusade said:
EA's support on PSP is basically non-existant compared to where it was since they started focusing on next-gen. They have no room to complain

If PSP were highly profitable for EA they would maintain focus on that platform regardless of their other initiatives.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crusade said:

List of consoles that make more money for EA than the PSP: PS2, PS3, XBOX360, Wii, XBOX, Mobile Phone, PC

List of consoles that make less money for EA than the PSP:

If you were EA, who would you support?

tanod

when is my burrito
justjohn said:
hmmm, looking at the ps3 software sales, i think mc will have wii above ps3 tonite. whats up with this huge difference anyway?

Differences between MC and Enterbrain aren't all that consistent. I'd still say it's much more likely than not that PS3 tops Wii again this week.

Busaiku

jesusraz said:
I can't find its first week sales, but it might have been around 50-60,000 in total for all three versions, i.e. far lower than the million+ people expected at the time due to the success of the GBA games. Famitsu revealed all three sold a total of 219,171 during 2006 and didn't Capcom reveal recently the games had sold something like 550,000 units by now, thus beating the expected sales of 500,000?

Anyway, the two game format should work better than the three of last time. We'll see. I wonder if Capcom's estimates are the same this time, or whether it feels it can climb up to 600,000+ in the long-run.
Using Moor-Angol's site, the first week Famitsu data for Pegasus/Leo/Dragon was 77,151. The latest Famitsu tracked number was 531,867. It may have gone up to 550k+ after it dropped out of the top 30 though. Sinobi's blog numbers, revealed that first week for Berserk x Dinosaur/Shinobi to be 84k. Not that much of an increase, given the greater userbase, but still pulling ahead slightly, though it's still too early to tell if it will reach that 600k+ or so.

TunaLover said:
UC has a good start with 82,637 the launch week, then fall drastically, it could get +150K in Japan only. Who knows it depends on its legs for now.
Wasn't that because of a supply issue? I think that's what a few of the J-Gaffers have claimed, or I'm thinking of something else entirely.

reilo said:
Not the off-topic forum discussing the who and who isn't an atheist.
Once an atheist sells a million copies it becomes a non-atheist.
pickwick said:
As in NA : almost 300k PSP sold in october and none game in the top 20...
That's slightly more stacked against PSP, though. Getting into a Top 20 will always be tougher than getting into a Top 30, and unike Japan there's an additional strong presence from X360 taking up spots.
Dragmire said:
I don't understand how New Super Mario Bros. can do so well yet Galaxy can do so poorly.
They're not exactly the same game. It's not even like Nintendo's other platformers on DS perform anywhere near NSMB. Kirby Squeak Squad is around a million as of the middle of the year. Last we saw of Yoshi's Island DS, it was just a bit over 800K. Super Princess Peach hit about 200K. Super Mario 64 DS is around 1.1 million. All added together they still don't reach NSMB.
The Experiment said:
Mario Party bests 3D Platformer Mario on GCN and Wii, too, even without a large hardware advantage.

Jcgamer60

Mario doesn't have legs on Wii confirmed.

Dragon Quest IV with super impressive first week sales. And this is a remake we're talking about... 2nd remake of DQ IV i believe. Square Enix is going to make crazy money off these DS remakes, just imagine DQ IX sales.

I'm surprised a party game with both Mario and Sonic sold poorly first week on the Wii. Whether the game is shit or not it seems like the type of game that would sell to the Wii party crowd.

Also, who keeps buying those damn Megaman games? I can't remember the last time Capcom produced a quality Megaman title besides those PSP "remakes".

Grecco

Dragmire said:
I don't understand how New Super Mario Bros. can do so well yet Galaxy can do so poorly. .

Part of it, is lack of interest in 3D marios, and part of it is a bigger casual market than in other territories. My guess anyways.

Kosma

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's ridiculous though, every game dev would give an arm and a leg to work on the next Mario, even if SMG stopped selling right now.

I don't mean the Mario example perse. But to think that devs like Koijma and up and coming stars would rather make casual games is something interesting. I think the real talent will always migrate to the games that inspire them.

Frillen

Jcgamer60 said:

Dragon Quest IV with super impressive first week sales. And this is a remake we're talking about... 2nd remake of DQ IV i believe. Square Enix is going to make crazy money off these DS remakes, just imagine DQ IX sales.

I'm surprised a party game with both Mario and Sonic sold poorly first week on the Wii. Whether the game is shit or not it seems like the type of game that would sell to the Wii party crowd.

Also, who keeps buying those damn Megaman games? I can't remember the last time Capcom produced a quality Megaman title besides those PSP "remakes".

Not to sound like a Super Mario Galaxy Japanese Sales Defence Force guy, but the game only dropped 6k compared to last week according to Famitsu. If it can keep selling above 30k till we hit the holidays, who knows what's gonna happen. It could get a couple of 50k+ weeks and stay for a long time in the top 50 after that.

Mega Man ZX Advent was awesome.

birdchili

did the japanese press gush over galaxy to the extent that the western press did?

nintendo needs these games, even if they aren't massive blockbuster hits - having that broad range of genres on your system has always been part of winning and having a platform that's considered highly desirable. just because nintendo is treading a bit of a new path doesn't mean that they're not looking at what the ps2 did so succesfully last gen.

Jcgamer60

Frillen said:
Not to sound like a Super Mario Galaxy Japanese Sales Defence Force guy, but the game only dropped 6k compared to last week according to Famitsu. If it can keep selling above 30k till we hit the holidays, who knows what's gonna happen. It could get a couple of 50k+ weeks and stay for a long time in the top 50 after that.

Yeah, but comparing the game to the DS mario and spin offs... Although, DS does have a much larger install base.

gkryhewy

Jcgamer60 said:
Yeah, but comparing the game to the DS mario and spin offs... Although, DS does have a much larger install base.

It's quite disappointing, but one can't yet say it has no legs when its sales appear to have leveled off. Sales that do not decline, and continue week to week, are the definition of legs.

I don't know why people are pointing out SMG's lack of legs just because its out of some arbitrary top number. 9 new games come out, why would it be in the top 10 from what we saw of it the last 3-4 weeks? We already knew it wasn't a gangbusters seller, but being 11 instead of 10 isn't the reason for that. It'd be bad news (beyond that of the last few weeks) if it was at 15 or 20 or something.

Jcgamer60

gkrykewy said:
It's quite disappointing, but one can't yet say it has no legs when its sales appear to have leveled off. Sales that do not decline, and continue week to week, are the definition of legs.

True enough, but I usually consider legs to be something that levels off at higher sales. Galaxy did how much first week? 250k or something.

Crusade

Stumpokapow said:
List of consoles that make more money for EA than the PSP: PS2, PS3, XBOX360, Wii, XBOX, Mobile Phone, PC

List of consoles that make less money for EA than the PSP:

If you were EA, who would you support?
Like the quote says

"the PSP's plummeted, down from $64 million in 2006 to $21 million in 2007." That's well above most of what you just listed. Everything except PS2 and 360 in fact. This was back when they were consistently putting out games with a fair level of effort and advertising to go with them. Now they only have themselves to blame for the sharp drop because that effort has diminished into non-existance

EA had a strong market on PSP. They're the ones who let it go

Vieo

I should really buy a DSL. So many RPGs on the system.

BTW, was there ever a count on WiiFit preorders?

The problem with PSP is the following: you can affrim that people buy the system most of all for non-videogames related things (like UMD, music, Tv Tuner and what you want) and that Software's sales are low compared to other systems. This makes sense.

But when you see an handheld skyrockets to almost 90k and, at the same time, a slow down of PSP software's sales (because NO games in the entire top 30), then I would say that there is something wrong. Statistically, if during a week you sell 50 of hardware and 10 of software, when you see an increase to 100 in hardware, you should see an increase of software of apporx. 20. Or at least a noticeable inrease. Now, if we exclude the possibility that Media Create aren't accurate, the only explication is that PSP is doing concurrence to some other type of products. It would be interesting to see if iPod is somehow suffering from that. Or portable DVD players. Or other mp3 players. Or what you want, but that is not related to the gaming industry.

Shortly, the problem is that when hardware goes up significantly and remains at high levels, and software doesn't seem to be influenced in ANY way. I know it sound weird, but numbers are the only one who never lie (if are accurates).

Jcgamer60 said:

<snip>

If a game has legs or not is not a matter of a couple of weeks. I don't think it'll have Mario Kart type of legs but we'll have to wait and see to decide if it has any legs at all or not.

Wii party crowd doesn't buy those type of games day 1, it could sell decently as a slow burner.

oo Kosma oo said:
I don't mean the Mario example perse. But to think that devs like Koijma and up and coming stars would rather make casual games is something interesting. I think the real talent will always migrate to the games that inspire them.
OK, I think it depends on the person. Look at Jaffe for instance.

Jcgamer60 said:
Well comparing most games to the NSMB will make them look bad. As will any comparison with Nintendogs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The problem with PSP is the following: you can affrim that people buy the system most of all for non-videogames related things (like UMD, music, Tv Tuner and what you want) and that Software's sales are low compared to other systems. This makes sense.

Shortly, the problem is that when hardware goes up significantly and remains at high levels, and software doesn't seem to be influenced in ANY way. I know it sound weird, but numbers are the only one who never lie (if are accurates).

The last 4-5 weeks has at least 5-6 PSP games on the chart. One of those weeks had Gundam at #3. Yes, the PSP is not the DS and software wise, it had never been amazing. However, it's not like PSP games never show up. If anything, this is the weird week for not having PSP games on the chart compared to the last month or so.

Not defending the PSP here since there's nothing really to defend. It's never really been a software selling machine. However, the last 4-5 weeks, PSP games have littered the chart. Anyone ever stop to think that it could be that no one has really put out any really, really compelling software for the machine with any sort of frequency?

Then again, this is Japan...so who knows.

spwolf

Kintaro said:
The last 4-5 weeks has at least 5-6 PSP games on the chart. One of those weeks had Gundam at #3. Yes, the PSP is not the DS and software wise, it had never been amazing. However, it's not like PSP games never show up. If anything, this is the weird week for not having PSP games on the chart compared to the last month or so.

Not defending the PSP here since there's nothing really to defend. It's never really been a software selling machine. However, the last 4-5 weeks, PSP games have littered the chart. Anyone ever stop to think that it could be that no one has really put out any really, really compelling software for the machine with any sort of frequency?

but it doesnt have any this week, so it FAILS!!!! :D

Kintaro said:

Actually, both Famitsu and Media Create are undertracking Air PSP by 450k units, because everyone here knows that 90k PSP sold means 90k new owners who get 5 games and those games are games released that week.

I think we could see Air PSP above DQIV in Dengeki.

ksamedi

oo Kosma oo said:

Thats really not true, I mean if I were a developer I would definitly like to create concepts for both types of gaming. Casual games could be harder to design because you actually have to make something last as long as possible while keeping it instantly playeble. I think designing something like that would be quite satisfying and fun. I remember the Zelda team saying that Zelda PH was born out of a casual game concept. It was going to be a budget title if some developer in there didn't insist on making it a full game.

ethelred

ksamedi said:
I remember the Zelda team saying that Zelda PH was born out of a casual game concept. It was going to be a budget title if some developer in there didn't insist on making it a full game.

No, it wasn't. It was going to be a Four Swords game originally.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Actually, both Famitsu and Media Create are undertracking Air PSP by 450k units, because everyone here knows that 90k PSP sold means 90k new owners who get 5 games and those games are games released that week.

Just to let people know, he's not serious.

ksamedi

ethelred said:
No, it wasn't. It was going to be a Four Swords game originally.

No, the touch controls came from a casual game concept. I read this in an interview, and I really don't want to go looking for it. But if you insist on it, I will do so.

Busaiku

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Did Air do better than Kanon?

The Sphinx said:
It's a good indication that DQIX can perform in the same league as the previous games.

Yeah and it proves that I was totally wrong when I said that DS was starting to slow down in hardware and software. The audience on it is still very active and ready to buy games. In other words, there is not the problem that, in contrast, exists on the Wii.

ethelred

ksamedi said:
No, the touch controls came from a casual game concept. I read this in an interview, and I really don't want to go looking for it. But if you insist on it, I will do so.

You are wrong. The team was originally making a Four Swords game before Aonuma decided to make it a full Zelda game. They were not making a budget casual game.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Because Super Mario Sunshine sold 5.5 millions worldwide. On the Gamecube.

I don't think just because Super Mario Sunshine did well would mean they would just stop and scoff at another 4 million in sales because it's less...because well....that would still be 4 million in sales!!

4 million, hypothetically speaking of course.

Top Bottom