• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

donny2112

Leonsito said:
does anyone knows the methods of the two trackers ?

Get raw data from some percentage of stores and use fancy algorithms to extrapolate the rest.

Wii is now higher in hardware sales in November than in October, and it still has one week to go. New Year's has a way of reversing downward trends. :D

Satter

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I dunno, i think a roughly 50% sales increase over the current trend is a decent bump.

But what look at the bump in PSP sales? And the thing can't even sell software. What does the DS have after DQIV? PSP is going to beat out the DS going forward.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah, 'cuz 50,000 units is totally weak. PS3 am failure in Japan.

I never said it was weak. It's just you'd think the Playstation brand name coupled with a price drop would at least beat the Wii for a good while.

If Nintendo would've dropped the price, and released a big game like Sony did, Sony would've gotten crushed.

Those are good PS3 numbers even if they are 2nd place numbers.
Is it a big shopping week in Japan like the US? Surprised by the jump up with ALL the "next gen" consoles.

schuelma said:
Pretty significant Wii hardware bump. Just general holiday push, or Wii Fit anticipation?

Probably a combination of recent and upcoming titles, plus holidays.

Satter said:
But what look at the bump in PSP sales? And the thing can't even sell software. What does the DS have after DQIV? PSP is going to beat out the DS going forward.

Ummm, what?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Leonsito said:
What the hell, that's some serious discrepance with Famitsu numbers, in all the consoles, including Xbox, does anyone knows the methods of the two trackers ?
original-colour.gif

Frillen

Satter said:

Tales of Inocence, Final Fantasy IV, Layton 2 etc.

tanod

when is my burrito
Frillen said:
DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...

So that's where TRU is reporting their numbers now. NPD wasn't good enough for them.

j/k and :O

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Frillen said:
DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...
Snap! MC is totally different once again! :lol Wii had more of an increase than the PSP! Wow, I think things are going to be confusing until after the holidays when things settle down again.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Josh or anyone else- how did the GameCube do during similar weeks? Looking for some perspective on PS3 numbers. I know its been tracking behind GC, but I imagine it's now starting to catch up.

donny2112

Leonsito said:
I thought that talking about ioi's site was banned.

:lol

JPNConsoles-15.png

I'll probably take off the Mario & Sonic/WE11 label next week, but I wanted to have it on there for at least one week.

JPNHandhelds-17.png

I can't wait to see how DQ IV grows and then how DQ V and VI do. It'll be fun to watch. :)

gcubed

isnt famitsu steadily higher for the ps3 and 360 and lower for the wii in comparison to MC? Where it is always lower for the 360 and PS3 and higher for the Wii? Is there any reason for this? Do people just choose to use what numbers suit their argument better? I remember the graph from last week showing MC vs Famitsu numbers, and the LTD discrepency is getting bigger

schuelma

gcubed said:
isnt famitsu steadily higher for the ps3 and 360 and lower for the wii in comparison to MC? Where it is always lower for the 360 and PS3 and higher for the Wii? Is there any reason for this? Do people just choose to use what numbers suit their argument better? I remember the graph from last week showing MC vs Famitsu numbers, and the LTD discrepency is getting bigger

Actually, when Wii first started free falling, MC had it consistently 10K lower for like 3-4 weeks.

gcubed said:

I always thought MC was more reliable, which is why the topic was always about them, and not Famitsu.

gcubed

schuelma said:
Actually, when Wii first started free falling, MC had it consistently 10K lower for like 3-4 weeks.

i admitedlly dont follow these threads super closely, and i'm not trying to stir up any emotions on either side, just for curiousity's sake on my part.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
gcubed said:
MC = Nintendo fanboys. That's why Nintendo uses MC in its presentations.

schuelma

jasonbay said:
What's games are coming out for the PS3 before the end of the year?

There really isn't all that much besides GT5 Prologue. Time Crisis 4 seems to be the only other notable release until January.

That's one of the reasons I expect Wii to still handily beat PS3 this holiday in Japan- a lot better lineup.

schuelma

Another question- Is there a particular reason companies are releasing a ton of big Wii titles on the 13th? NiGHTS, Chocobo, We Love Golf, all on the 13th. Seems like they would space things out a bit. Or is that week the real holiday kick off?

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
There really isn't all that much besides GT5 Prologue. Time Crisis 4 seems to be the only other notable release until January.
Please don't forget game-of-the-generation-afw Uncharted.

jakncoke

Banned
schuelma said:

That's one of the reasons I expect Wii to still handily beat PS3 this holiday in Japan- a lot better lineup.

Didn't Prologue4 sell really well?

spwolf

gcubed said:
i admitedlly dont follow these threads super closely, and i'm not trying to stir up any emotions on either side, just for curiousity's sake on my part.

at the end of the year, both of them even out... they both track only part of the retail, so they basically guess rest of the sales that they dont get. This leads to adjustments but important thing is that at the end, both figures get pretty close.

tanod

when is my burrito
schuelma said:

Uncharted isn't likely to do much but it may garner between 25k-75k in its first couple of weeks because of the western gaming fans. Another quality title on the platform though.

schuelma

tanod said:
Uncharted isn't likely to do much but it may garner between 25k-75k in its first couple of weeks because of the western gaming fans. Another quality title on the platform though.

I didn't mean to slight the games quality in anyway, I just don't think it will have an impact in Japan.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Media-Create Nintendbots confirmed!

Quiet down motherfuckers, I'm just talking in jest!

But that is one hell of a discrepancy.

Wii comparisons, ONE FULL YEAR sortof EDITION: At 52 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 222.4 weeks (December 13, 2005), where GBA was at 39.5 weeks (December 19, 2001), where DS was at 52.5 weeks (November 30, 2005), where PS2 was at 61.3 weeks (May 1, 2001), and where PSP was at 88.7 weeks (August 18, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 55 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 7.8 weeks (April 21, 2000), where PSP was at 25.8 weeks (June 3, 2005), where GCN was at 40.4 weeks (June 18, 2002), and where Wii was at 9.2 weeks (January 29, 2007).

As you can see, PS3's recent decent weeks have seen it chewing through GCN's poor mid-2002 weeks in that particular comparison.

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 60.9 / 39.1, the most DS-heavy since before Crisis Core. This brings the total shares to 74.5 / 25.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continuedat this week's rate, it would catch up in 176.5 weeks (April 14, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 48.2 / 51.8. That's even slightly closer than last week, though tilted in the opposite direction. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 49.0 weeks (November 3, 2008).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 6.7 weeks (January 10, 2008) at ~20.9 million units apiece.

At week 47, Nintendo's yearly hardware sales passed 9 million. Last year this happened on week 51.

At week 47, Sony's yearly hardware sales passed 4 million. Last year this happened on week... well, actually it didn't happen last year.

At week 47, Microsoft's yearly hardware sales passed 200 thousand. This is a new record, beating out the one set last year.

PantherLotus said:
but not nearly as good as the hardware sales would suggest, correct jj?
Sort of. Through 52 weeks (Media Create), Wii's userbase is about 74% greater than PSP's. If we were to multiply PSP's software to compensate, its #1 game (Hot Shots) would become 630K, placing it above Twilight Princess and below Mario Party 8. Its #2 game (Dynasty Warriors) would be 400K, putting it below Twilight Princess, WarioWare, Dragon Quest Swords, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario Galaxy. Compensating for the hardware does make it more of a mixed comparison.
schuelma said:
Pretty significant Wii hardware bump. Just general holiday push, or Wii Fit anticipation?
I'd guess the first. Pretty much everything is up.
schuelma said:
Josh or anyone else- how did the GameCube do during similar weeks?
Past 2001, I think the only time GCN ever beat 50K was December/early January. Actually, looking a bit closer it didn't even beat 40K outside of those times. It never had anything like this recent PS3 bump.

You know, I would really love for SMG to be the saving grace of quality gaming in Japan. Whatever that means. But I have this feeling it will fizzle out at 500k. Just like Zelda. The only reason it has had little drop of, is because it is the weeks leading up to new year, take that upward trend out of the equation and your left with a game that would be around 15k-25k this week. And within 5 weeks out of the top50. Not that anything below 3rd actually matters in sales.

Regarding the sudden drop in Wii sales? I don't know. What the hell happened there. It was all rosy then all of a sudden it starts going down hill. Maybe they are shifting stock elsewhere, but people have confirmed there was enough stock, right?

I really wanted Zelda to be the swan song of a game, and it was in game, but didn't really translate into sales. Even ww sales at this point are under 5million, which is good, but nothing like OoT sales. And Nintendo seem to be more popular than ever right now.

Remember GB's were never advertised and they sold so many. DS advertisement is mad these days, so is Wii, but it seems very holiday season-ish sales. And the audience will never appreciate the like of Zelda and Metroid. A cousin of mine recently gave back MP3:corruption. He didn't like it. And he is a casual that plays MoH and stuff like that. I tried to tell him he has done a big mistake, and needs to persevere a little longer and should fall in love with it. But with no knowledge of its history or who made it, he just randomly picked it up. What can one expect.

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
Past 2001, I think the only time GCN ever beat 50K was December/early January. Actually, looking a bit closer it didn't even beat 40K outside of those times. It never had anything like this recent PS3 bump.

Thanks. As I suspected, pretty good week for PS3.

Top Bottom