• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/24 - 11/30

jett

D-Member
pseudocaesar said:
How many is it expected to sell. Its hyped in the west as the first great JRPG for the PS3, I wonder how the Japanese see it.

It will barely a blip saleswise I bet. The PS3's fate in Japan is sealed, two years in and not a single million-seller in there. I wonder if even FFXIII will do the job.

jett said:
It will barely a blip saleswise I bet. The PS3's fate in Japan is sealed, two years in and not a single million-seller in there. I wonder if even FFXIII will do the job.
While I mostly agree with the first two sentences (depending on the definition of "blip"), I can't get with you on the Final Fantasy doubt. MGS 4 is likely over 650k by now, and FF XIII will be selling to a userbase probably about 50% bigger. Breaking the 1m barrier seems pretty plausible.

jeremy1456

Liabe Brave said:
While I mostly agree with the first two sentences (depending on the definition of "blip"), I can't get with you on the Final Fantasy doubt. MGS 4 is likely over 650k by now, and FF XIII will be selling to a userbase probably about 50% bigger. Breaking the 1m barrier seems pretty plausible.

It's not just plausible, it will happen on the first week of it's release, maybe even day one.

When all is said and done it'll be somewhere near 2 mill.

Anyone who doubts that it will break a million is pretty ignorant.

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
MGS 4 is likely over 650k by now,

jeremy1456 said:
It's not just plausible, it will happen on the first week of it's release, maybe even day one.

i.e. a big drop for the series for a game with a likely larger budget than its predecessor.

1st weeks:
FFIX - 1.95 million
FFX - 1.75 million
FFX-2 - 1.47 million
FFXII - 1.84 million

Suggested 1st week for FFXIII - 1 million

t3nmilez

Stopsign said:
I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but something like 75k in the first week would be really solid. Though, besides GAF hype, I have no real measure of what the buzz around it is like in Japan. I'm guessing that it was a fairly popular arcade game, so some of that should transfer over to the Wii platform. We'll see this Friday, I guess.

The game is more or less being released in arcades alongside the Wii version, which is pretty foolish for a variety of reasons. So, there's no idea how well the public will take to it.

donny2112 said:

i.e. a big drop for the series for a game with a likely larger budget than its predecessor.

1st weeks:
FFIX - 1.95 million
FFX - 1.75 million
FFX-2 - 1.47 million
FFXII - 1.84 million

A million seller
on PS3: almost like
waiting for Godot

donny2112

sphinx said:
your basing that on past performances?

No. I was giving the benefit of the doubt to jeremy1456.

jeremy1456 said:

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stopsign said:
I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but something like 75k in the first week would be really solid. Though, besides GAF hype, I have no real measure of what the buzz around it is like in Japan. I'm guessing that it was a fairly popular arcade game, so some of that should transfer over to the Wii platform. We'll see this Friday, I guess.
Does the Wii version have any extras over the arcade version? I would think being released at the same time would actually be fairly detrimental to the Wii version, since arcades are still popular in Japan.

Lightning said:
If this happens I will cry and then give the biggest "FUCK YOU" that I can muster towards Sony because they are to blame.
I'm confused, are you saying that 1m in the first week is anything but a good result?

Johann

Psychotext said:
I'm confused, are you saying that 1m in the first week is anything but a good result?

Well, this would be the most expensive Final Fantasy game selling well below the series average in a critical market for the company.

I guess we can always enjoy FFXIV on our cellphones.

Lightning

Banned
Psychotext said:
That would depend on what context you are using the word good in. In terms of PS3 hardware sales, 1mil is a good result, in terms of FF mainline franchise goes it's a freakin shocking result. It's a shocking result because Sony's console has failed, hence Sony are too blame as S-E trusted them and Sony dropped the ball BIG TIME.

FF is my favourite franchise, hence I want it enjoyed by as many people as possible. The PS3 sales provide a problem in that regard.

True, but you can't ignore the userbase. Like it or not the PS3 is not the PS2 and a ~30% attach rate will be impressive in the first week no matter which way you slice it.

[Edit - That was originally in response to Johann]

Lightning

Banned
So no matter which way you slice it, the sales suck ass. Because overall sales are what matter, not attach rates or 'impressive for a PS3' game type bullshit which only covers up the fact that 1mil will still be a failure.

Best case scenario under current situations? Probably, but a failure none the less. Anything less than 2mil Japan sales alone for FFXIII is nothing but a failure to me.

duckroll

donny2112 said:
1st weeks:
FFIX - 1.95 million
FFX - 1.75 million
FFX-2 - 1.47 million
FFXII - 1.84 million

FFVII - 2.05 million
FFVIII - 2.5 million

I won't be surprised to see FFXIII's first week drop below 1.5 million.

PS1 > PS2 > PS3

donny2112

duckroll said:
FFVII - 2.05 million
FFVIII - 2.5 million

I won't be surprised to see FFXIII's first week drop below 1.5 million.

PS1 > PS2 > PS3

More fun with numbers. First week percentage of the LTD.

FFVII - 62.1%
FFVIII - 71.5%
FFIX - 72.2%
FFX - 75.3%
FFX-2 - 75.1% (It was an improvement!)
FFXII - 79.2%

A 1.5 million first week for FFXIII with an 80% first week ratio => 1.88 million.
A 1.0 million first week for FFXIII with an 80% first week ratio => 1.25 million.

Dragon Quest comparison:

DQVII - 47.8%
DQVIII - 63.2%

donny2112

Sharp said:
Wow, I haven't been following these threads at all, when did the 360 come back from the dead?

When a bunch of RPG announcements hit in mid-July. The above 10K stuff has only happened at, or just following, big releases/price drop, though. Last Remnant was this week.

Elios83

New MC leaked numbers:

[NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel - 87,100 / 434,400
[PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World - 76,500 / 76,500
[WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk - 75,600 / 489,300
[NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra - 60,200 / 535,000
[PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - 42,400 / 210,800
[NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode - 37,900 / 278,600
[NDS] Pokemon Platinum - 37,300 / 2,008,800
[WII] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de - 34,000 / 34,000
[360] Fallout 3 - 30,600 / 30,600
[NDS] Rhythm Heaven - 29,600 / 1,244,100

DSi 126,700
PSP 54,800
Wii 56,700
PS3 30,300
DSL 12,100
360 10,000
PS2 5,700

http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/2008/12/200812011207_4f94.html

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
first three weeks...
Layton 1 - 119k, 49k, 42k (famitsu) - 210 total in first 3
Layton 2 - 309k, 100k, 73k (famitsu) - 482 total in first 3
Layton 3 - 347k, 87k, ??? (mc--yeah, i know, i know) - 434 total in first 2

AC GCN - 92k, 61k, 48k (famitsu) - 201 total in first 3
ACWW - 335k, 142k, 116k (famitsu) - 593 total in first 3
ACCF - 305k, 108k, 75k (mc) - 488 total in first 3

first five...
Kirby Squeak Squad - 151k, 68k, 46k, 47k, 38k (famitsu) - 350 total in first 5
Kirby Super Star DS - 265k, 97k, 55k, 56k, 60k (mc) - 533 total in first 5

Sorry about the tracker mixing, I'm at work and so I just did a quick Garaph to get the data.

t3nmilez said:
The game is more or less being released in arcades alongside the Wii version, which is pretty foolish for a variety of reasons. So, there's no idea how well the public will take to it.

Capcom did the same thing with Marvel Vs Capcom 2(both the DC and arcade versions hit in early 2000). If they didn't think it worked out they probably wouldn't be doing it again with TvC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Psychotext said:
PS3 holding up quite nicely there. Has the DS / DSi overturned the PSP lead yet?

Not yet. They were still up around 500k before these leaked numbers. It'll be a squeaker unless Nintendo gets a 2005/2006-style bump on the DSi.

gkryhewy

donny2112 said:
When a bunch of RPG announcements hit in mid-July. The above 10K stuff has only happened at, or just following, big releases/price drop, though. Last Remnant was this week.

Actually since September or so there have been few weeks that WEREN'T at or just below 10k+ (IIRC), which has been surprising.

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Not yet. They were still up around 500k before these leaked numbers. It'll be a squeaker unless Nintendo gets a 2005/2006-style bump on the DSi.

In Media-Create numbers the Psp lead is about 200k (before last week)

Ds will easily"win" this year

Elios83

schuelma said:
Wait, am I missing something..I thought the PSP would be much higher than it is right now.

Maybe people are waiting for the new Dissidia bundle, it should boost hardware sales quite a bit.
Is it coming next week isn't it?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cw_sasuke said:

I guess because it has been significantly higher than Wii most of the year, plus it had the new model.

Good point by Elios..it still has Dissidia to boost things.

schuelma said:
I guess because it has been significantly higher than Wii most of the year, plus it had the new model.

Good point by Elios..it still has Dissidia to boost things.
Since Wii only has two holidays to look back on--one with extreme shortage--it's hard to be sure of patterns. However, GameCube sales tended to be more heavily concentrated around December than the competition. Maybe a similar effect is causing Wii to bump more than PSP.

Top Bottom