• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/24 - 11/30

gogogow

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PS2 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban - 9,500
PS3 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban - 7,300
Yeah too bad for locoroco, I think many might've thought that it would sell better than the first one, just like Namaikida and Patapon 2.

But I'm more suprised with Yakyuu Spirits' numbers. This looks really really bad.
Isn't the Yakyuu series one of Konami's flagship titles for Japan?
Doesn't look too good.

Johann

I just keep wondering what went wrong with the LocoRoco franchise in Japan. Did Sony market it to aggressively and consumers passed on it as a Nintendo game wannabe?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
:lol I always thought LocoRoco 2 on PSP was a waste of time and money , Tsutomu Kouno is very good Director with great new and fresh ideas , putting him on PSP game instead of full platform game on PS3 was pure stupid move from SCEJ .

now they should port LocoRoco 2 to PS3 720p and use sixaxis to tilt the world put it on Playstation Store in NA and Europe and at least make some money this way .

gogogow said:
But I'm more suprised with Yakyuu Spirits' numbers. This looks really really bad.
Isn't the Yakyuu series one of Konami's flagship titles for Japan?
Doesn't look too good.

hell fucking no

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban is the realistic baseball game from Konami not that chibi superbaseball game Pawapuro

this is Yakyuu Spirits 5
pa.140828.1.jpg

the big baseball game from Konami is Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu / Powerpro , there is no PS3 version for it yet .
pa.136174.1.jpg

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 207 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 154.6 weeks (February 13, 2003), where DS was at 92.0 weeks (September 3, 2006), and where GBA was at 140.2 weeks (November 24, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 155 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 15.1 weeks (December 24, 2001), where PS3 was at 19.7 weeks (March 23, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.1 weeks (December 25, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 107 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 23.9 weeks (August 12, 2000), where PSP was at 54.6 weeks (December 22, 2005), where GCN was at 109.3 weeks (October 14, 2003), and where Wii was at 25.9 weeks (May 26, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 104 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 91.0 weeks (December 15, 2002), where DS was at 71.4 weeks (April 12, 2006), where PS2 was at 101.0 weeks (February 3, 2002), and where PSP was at 156.6 weeks (December 6, 2007).

DSi comparisons: After 4 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 5.8 weeks (March 22, 2003), where GBM was at 23.6 weeks (February 23, 2006), and where DSL was at 4.4 weeks (March 29, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 67.4 / 32.6 bring total shares to 69.0 / 31.0. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 242.7 weeks (July 27, 2013).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 24.6 / 75.4 bring total shares to 24.0 / 76.0. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 148.1 weeks (October 3, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 41.2 / 58.8 bring total shares to 25.9 / 74.1. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 131.3 weeks (June 7, 2011).

Week over week, there's really no constant pattern to the changes. PS3 doubling is the biggest obvious difference this week.
X360

Software stuff later.

donny2112 said:
COUNT should be returning "0" even if there are no records. I tried masking it with a ifnull, and that does nothing. Therefore it's not returning a null. Is there some setting that you have at the database level that doesn't display 0 values?
It should be possible to get one with that shows 0 values, I think it's just the way I "worded" my request. Rather than saying "For every week, find the number of titles from Platform X in the top 10.", I said "Find all the times games from this system were in the top 10, then group them by week."
donny2112 said:
I hadn't really thought about this before, but PS1's dualshock. It came out a year or two into the PS1's life and became the standard.
Actually, it was more like 2.5-3 years from launch (depending on territory) that Dual Shock released, though there was the Dual Analog that preceded it.

Famitsu Software Stuff
Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (3265) continues its double-weeking streak. Its first week was bigger than any other modern Kirby's two week total. Its two week total was bigger than any other modern Kirby's four week total. Its third week total is now bigger than any other modern Kirby's six week total. It's doubtful this can be maintained; it would need to sell 290K copies next week to match Squeak Squad's weeks 7 & 8.

Animal Crossing City Folk (3281) doesn't have quite the first week number of Wild World (95), but since it had fewer days on the market in its first week it may have been more successful for that smaller time period. In the case of this image it gives its line segment a slightly steeper appearance. Also worth noting that this is the third biggest first week for a Wii game, behind Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

jesusraz

Great performance for Kirby, cheers for the graph JJ, appreciated.

Nobody interested in the 31-50 list anymore? People used to jump at getting it translated...And Panther, I thought you were going to keep a track of the DSL and DSi numbers separately? It would be good to have accurate totals for the two.

Anyway, here's 31-50:

31.) Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Aces (NDS, Capcom)
32.) Kyotaro Nishimura DS Suspense Series 2 (NDS, Tecmo)
33.) Shinsengumi Bakumatsu (NDS, D3Publisher)
34.) World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (360, Konami)
35.) Rhythm of Life w/ Pedometer (NDS, Nintendo)
36.) Family Ski & Snowboard (Wii, Namco Bandai)
37.) Inazuma Eleven (NDS, Level-5)
38.) Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3, Capcom)
39.) Far Cry 2 (360, Ubisoft)
40.) Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo)
41.) Shiren the Wanderer DS 2: Magic Castle in the Desert (NDS, SEGA)
42.) Mario Kart DS (NDS, Nintendo)
43.) Diet Shape Wii Boxing! (Wii, Rocket Company)
44.) Prinny (PSP, Nippon Ichi)
45.) Junjou Romanchika (Limited Edition) (PS2, Marvelous)
46.) Mega Man Star Force 3: Red Joker (NDS, Capcom)
47.) Power Management Convenience Store (NDS, Nippon Ichi)
48.) Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Seven Island Adventure (NDS, Namco Bandai)
49.) Moe Moe War 2: Deluxe (PSP, SystemSoft Alpha)
50.) Resistance 2 (PS3, SCE)

And here's what I have for the hardware breakdown, although I've no idea how accurate the DSL/DSi split is (which is why I asked Panther in the first place):

1.) Nintendo DSi - 87,185 | 88,843 | 538,177 | 538,177
2.) PlayStation Portable - 55,090 | 61,226 | 3,301,982 | 10,967,059
3.) Wii - 49,848 | 35,298 | 2,311,850 | 7,064,602
4.) Nintendo DS - 26,851 | 18,580 | 2,371,593 | 23,738,303
5.) PlayStation 3 - 34,978 | 17,436 | 779,262 | 2,473,351
6.) Xbox 360 - 11,423 | 15,474 | 242,444 | 782,832
7.) PlayStation 2 - 5,628 | 5,281 | 410,553 | 21,368,061

I find it really peculiar how rhythm tengoku, which had nothing going for it in terms of publicity and promotion manages to do what Wii music should have.

Its like we are in a tangent timeline, like somthing from Donny Darko. Maybe we are. What with the politics, Obama and the financial plight.

I hope it finds its stride, because its a great Christmas gift.

jesusraz

the thoroughbred said:
I find it really peculiar how rhythm tengoku, which had nothing going for it in terms of publicity and promotion manages to do what Wii music should have.

Its like we are in a tangent timeline, like somthing from Donny Darko. Maybe we are. What with the politics, Obama and the financial plight.

I hope it finds its stride, because its a great Christmas gift.
All eyes on the re-release of RT GBA then that hits soon. I hope Nintendo doesn't limit its release too much as it'd be very interesting to see 1.) It storm up into the Top 10 alongside RTG, 2.) The effect on DSL sales.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
It should be possible to get one with that shows 0 values, I think it's just the way I "worded" my request. Rather than saying "For every week, find the number of titles from Platform X in the top 10.", I said "Find all the times games from this system were in the top 10, then group them by week."

Tried that already, and it still left the 0 weeks off. COUNT should return 0 as a valid value, so I figure it's probably a setting on the database itself. I even tried an IF block on the SELECT string to replace the 0 value with the word "zero," and it left it off. :/

jesusraz said:
And here's what I have for the hardware breakdown, although I've no idea how accurate the DSL/DSi split is

I have the DSi at 538,177 through this week. From the weekly numbers, I have the DSL at 17,153,189. There should be an adjustment of -4 on the total to the DS hardware, but I don't recall how it is separated between DS and DSL.

jesusraz

donny2112 said:
I have the DSi at 538,177 through this week. From the weekly numbers, I have the DSL at 17,153,189. There should be an adjustment of -4 on the total to the DS hardware, but I don't recall how it is separated between DS and DSL.
Cheers for the slight correction. I gave up totally on the DS/DSL split ages ago, so when DS was basically '0' each week I was more than happy to just plump those two together.

Since DSL is still selling well, though, I'm keen to keep track of the DSi and DSL totals. Hopefully Panther, or whomever takes on the role of thread starter over the next few weeks, takes this up.

By the way, who reckons there will be quite a leap in DSL sales when Rhythm Tengoku GBA is re-released?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
jesusraz said:
By the way, who reckons there will be quite a leap in DSL sales when Rhythm Tengoku GBA is re-released?

I think everybody and their dogs have a DsLite in Japan at this point, that was the whole point of releasing the DSi.
Nope, I don't think we'll se a big leap in sales, the usual fluctuations plus something minor like +3/5k maybe.

PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus said:
WHY YOU NO FIXED THIS YET???? :mad:

d+pad

the thoroughbred said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the first part of your comment here isn't completely true, if I'm remembering correctly (i.e., I remember RT Gold receiving quite a bit of promotion, though obviously word-of-mouth has been HUGE for this game).

Regardless, I'm glad RTG is selling as well as it is. My fave DS game this year, I think...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
shykyoichi said:
I got tons of fun playing this game. Hope it gets localized in NA and EU.

Youre still playing the game ? how many hours did u already put into the game ? Is there anything to do, after you finished the main/story mode ?

jesusraz

Dash Kappei said:
I think everybody and their dogs have a DsLite in Japan at this point, that was the whole point of releasing the DSi.
Nope, I don't think we'll se a big leap in sales, the usual fluctuations plus something minor like +3/5k maybe.
Hmm, well I'm just thinking that when the DSi launched there appeared to be very low DSL stock, but now Nintendo's balancing things more the DSL has jumped back up (people keep thanking Pokémon fans...but I'm sure that's not the sole reason), and I expect it to go up even more in the run-up to Christmas.

donny2112 said:
Tried that already, and it still left the 0 weeks off. COUNT should return 0 as a valid value, so I figure it's probably a setting on the database itself. I even tried an IF block on the SELECT string to replace the 0 value with the word "zero," and it left it off. :/
Not sure about the database settings. Since they're set on a server basis and I can't change them, it's something to work around rather than directly change anyway. Let me see if I can do an improved one that will show 0 weeks. Of course it will still be missing the periods where Famitsu combines two weeks into one and I don't consider those rankings as being the weekly ranks for either week, but hey.

Here's one for PSP. I basically had it take my previous version and join it to a list of all weeks found in SoftwareWeekly. Weeks without any in the Top 10 don't show 0, but are null. Since it shows every week in the table that includes ones from years before the platform's release, but it'd be easy enough to specify a more appropriate time period.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Updated OP.

2. Fixed goofy-ass translation of #8. Where TF did that come from?

3. DSi vs. DSL:

Code:
[B][U]            DSi      DS   [/U][/B]
10/27/08  171,925  16,369
11/03/08  104,897   8,381
11/10/08   85,327   3,559
11/17/08   88,843  18,580
11/24/08   87,185  26,851

538,177  73,740

4. @ jesusraz: Trying to figure out the best way to show DS vs. DSi data while being able to use my current set-up for charting purposes. I think what I'll do from now on will be including the separate DSi Total underneath the main hardware totals box. That could be used to subtract from the DS+ totals from above.

Here's how I will present the data in the future: I will still include DSi data in the DS+ hardware set (DS+DSL+DSi), but I will include the DSi totals as a separate line at the bottom. Here is how this week's would look:

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |    YTD    |    LTD     [/U][/B]
DS+      |   114,036 |   107,423 |      423,623 | 3,103,426 | 24,276,480
PSP      |    55,090 |    61,226 |      198,195 | 3,301,982 | 10,967,059
WII      |    49,848 |    35,298 |      136,659 | 2,448,463 |  7,064,602
PS3      |    34,978 |    17,436 |       88,216 |   831,675 |  2,473,351
360      |    11,423 |    15,474 |       47,639 |   274,387 |    782,832
PS2      |     5,628 |     5,281 |       22,073 |   441,021 | 21,368,061

DSi      |    87,185 |     88843 |      366,252 |   538,177 |    538,177

aerts1js

I always thought LocoRoco 2 on PSP was a waste of time and money , Tsutomu Kouno is very good Director with great new and fresh ideas , putting him on PSP game instead of full platform game on PS3 was pure stupid move from SCEJ .

now they should port LocoRoco 2 to PS3 720p and use sixaxis to tilt the world put it on Playstation Store in NA and Europe and at least make some money this way .

I don't really agree with this. Dont PSP games generally sell better than PS3 games in Japan? I think choosing PSP as the platform choice was probably the best chance of success.

If they wanted LR2 to sell, they probably would have marketed it in some way, shape, or form. I have seen no TV ads, no point-of-purchase displays, and perhaps most shockingly, no ads in Famitsu. They did infinity times more advertising for Patapon 2. It's weird as hell.

Alts

d+pad said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the first part of your comment here isn't completely true, if I'm remembering correctly (i.e., I remember RT Gold receiving quite a bit of promotion, though obviously word-of-mouth has been HUGE for this game).

Regardless, I'm glad RTG is selling as well as it is. My fave DS game this year, I think...

I remember seeing Rhythm Tengoku Gold ads on TV quite a bit, and the games stores I went to regularly all had either a kiosk where you could try the game, or it was featured up at the front of the store prominently (and used RT GBA games were also found nearby)

jeremy1456

pseudocaesar said:
How many is it expected to sell. Its hyped in the west as the first great JRPG for the PS3, I wonder how the Japanese see it.

It's hyped on the message boards, and amongst the hardcore gamers.

So were Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon. What I'm trying to say is that there's no real indication as to how it will sell yet.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
pseudocaesar said:
How many is it expected to sell. Its hyped in the west as the first great JRPG for the PS3, I wonder how the Japanese see it.

The number to watch for will be shipment numbers, which I'm not sure have been released yet. I would expect for a high sell-through in its first and second weeks, then look for a sharp decline immediately thereafter.

Of course, I just described every anticipated hardcore game's pattern.

Olaeh

So how well do you guys expect Tatsunoko vs Capcom to sell? Its safe to assume it won't bomb, right? I'm not even sure what to guess on this one... How much is initial shipment?

Kenka

The_lascar said:
graphique48.png

Blue : First Week
Red : Other Weeks
Blue + Red : LTD

graphique48-2.png

Only First Week.

Le Dojo reprend ?!?!? lascar ----> bisous

Professor Layton 1 had huge legs. I hope the series won't get too much frontloaded.

Olaeh said:
So how well do you guys expect Tatsunoko vs Capcom to sell? Its safe to assume it won't bomb, right? I'm not even sure what to guess on this one... How much is initial shipment?

I'm not expecting anything spectacular, but something like 75k in the first week would be really solid. Though, besides GAF hype, I have no real measure of what the buzz around it is like in Japan. I'm guessing that it was a fairly popular arcade game, so some of that should transfer over to the Wii platform. We'll see this Friday, I guess.

the thoroughbred said:

I wonder how good a console version of Rhythm Tengoku could do on the Wii, now that it seems to have turned into a successful franchise.

pseudocaesar said:
Do you think White Knight Chronicles will push PS3 into 100K+ and for how many weeks?
Note that PS3 has only had one week over 80K yet. One week above 100K would be unprecedented. Two would be... double unprecedented.

In the equivalent weeks of 2006 and 2007, PS3 sold 72K and 53K respectively.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kenka said:
Le Dojo reprend ?!?!? lascar ----> bisous

Professor Layton 1 had huge legs. I hope the series won't get too much frontloaded.

I think it has to do more with Layton 1 having been out in the market for longer. The difference between Village and Box is not that much, considering the time frame between the two.

Regulus Tera said:
I think it has to do more with Layton 1 having been out in the market for longer. The difference between Village and Box is not that much, considering the time frame between the two.
Looking at them after similar time periods... the last number I have for Layton 2 is mid-2008, about seven months after launch: 819K. Seven months after Layton 1's launch would be September 2007. I don't have a number for then, but in early July it was 594K and by late November 683K. So Layton 2 is ahead for the same age.
L2

However, it's almost inevitable that later games in a series will be more front-loaded. The first time around it's an unknown quantity that people may only get after hearing positive impressions, but the next time around they know whether or not they want to get it much sooner. So if we look at how sales increased relative to the first week number, Layton 1 clearly appears to have bigger growth.

L2

This image is also evidence that when I added in the ability to show legs by treating all first weeks equally, I didn't check what happened when a week of unknown total (saved as 0) is run across. :lol

Totobeni said:
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 Kanzenban is the realistic baseball game from Konami

the big baseball game from Konami is Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu / Powerpro , there is no PS3 version for it yet.
Actually, the performance of these two series is very similar. This year's PowerPro 15 did about 250k on the charts between PS2 and Wii (200k PS2, 50k Wii). This year's Pro Baseball did 275k between PS2 and PS3 (180k PS2, 90k PS3).

The low numbers for the title this week are due to its being an expansion (note the Kanzenban subtitle) and not a full game. At 10k first day it'll likely hit about 20k first week and 40k lifetime, which is about in the range of the PowerPro spinoffs which feature MLB players.

PowerPro does have a series of popular portable versions on PSP, though, so I guess it's a bit more successful as a brand.

Liabe Brave said:
Actually, the performance of these two series is very similar. This year's PowerPro 15 did about 250k on the charts between PS2 and Wii (200k PS2, 50k Wii). This year's Pro Baseball did 275k between PS2 and PS3 (180k PS2, 90k PS3).

The low numbers for the title this week are due to its being an expansion (note the Kanzenban subtitle) and not a full game. At 10k first day it'll likely hit about 20k first week and 40k lifetime, which is about in the range of the PowerPro spinoffs which feature MLB players.

PowerPro does have a series of popular portable versions on PSP, though, so I guess it's a bit more successful as a brand.
Its a no show going by brand strength, Pawapuro is old as hell, has sold like hotcakes forever, releases on lots of systems yearly and also had expansions.

Its 'had' though, this year there will be no Ketteiban December release, and I think its the first year without this since 1997 or even before! PS2 edition has been losing steam on all its versions and the Wii versions are also going down and they weren't near PS2 numbers to begin with.

Pawapuro has been moving to DS/PSP, specially with the latest ones, Pawapuro Pocket 11 DS hits on 12/18 and will probably sell like hotcakes again (274k last year). PSP Pawapuro Portable 3 has done 275k this year too.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits on the other hand is fairly new (if I'm not missing anything). PS2-exclusive yearly releases since 2004, peaking this year with the PS2 doing 200k and the PS3 version doing 90k (last year they were 197k and 69k, previously only on PS2 and way lower numbers).
This is the first Spirits expansion for December.

Liabe Brave said:

PowerPro's also on DS (and also successful).

edit:
What Kurosaki said: Portable is the way to go. Both the DS and PSP versions made great strides and the new DS version will probably outpace both PPP 10 and PPYP3.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pawapuro has been moving to DS/PSP, specially with the latest ones, Pawapuro Pocket 11 DS hits on 12/18 and will probably sell like hotcakes again (274k last year). PSP Pawapuro Portable 3 has done 275k this year too.
Yeah, I was a doofus to forget the DS versions, since that's essentially the mainline portable ones (they're numbered in sequence with the GBA games); the PSP series is the subsidiary version.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pro Yakyuu Spirits on the other hand is fairly new (if I'm not missing anything). PS2-exclusive yearly releases since 2004, peaking this year with the PS2 doing 200k and the PS3 version doing 90k (last year they were 197k and 69k, previously only on PS2 and way lower numbers). This is the first Spirits expansion for December.
Though the Spirits name started in 2004, I believe Konami started the series in 2001. It was called Pro Baseball Japan at first, then Pure Pro Baseball. Still, it's a youngster compared to Power Pro, which began in 1994.

Overall Pro Spirits is really a good example of Konami building a brand (or milking it, depending on your viewpoint). Once solid PS2 sales were established, in 2006 they added a 360 version. That bombed, but in 2007 they replaced it with a PS3 version (about 75k). This year as the PS3 base version improved (nearly 100k), they added a Kanzenban for it, which is doing only slightly worse than the PS2 version. (To be fair, though, it looks like the PS2 one will underperform last year's.)

Top Bottom