• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/27 - 12/03

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
starship said:
Nintendo will only ship 1.5m units for the entire Dec. in Japan.

Can't blame them. They need to prevent the severe Japanese post-December DSL shortages that we saw last year, as well as meet the insane DSL demand coming from the US & Euro markets throughout December.

Nintendo look on course to shift about 5m DSL worldwide in the month of December alone.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
GhaleonEB said:
not bad, especially the hardware total.
Depends on what your definition of bad is.
A $26m game must sell 1.5m copies to break even. Also hardware sales is bad for a console that supposed to be next PS2 by some folks here. :lol
And what if both X360 and Blue Dragon sales drop significantly next week?

35% attach ratio is a bomb now?

isn't that about the same as it was last week?

never thought i'd see a 360 game above all the DS, Wii and PS3 titles though. this chart doesn't look remotely like any of the ones we've had in the last year plus.

it's interesting times :)

Zelda was never big in Japan. It's not going to pull Wind Waker numbers thanks to the smaller userbase and other new games/systems available.

Honestly, Nintendo should create a RPG Zelda spinoff. It's a franchise big and recognized enough to be split into two different styles.

starship said:
A $26m game must sell 1.5m copies to break even. Also hardware sales is bad for a console that supposed to be next PS2 by some folks here. :lol

As in, he meant not bad for people who live in the real world.

What if the sales do drop? Its still not bad to move more units in a week than you have done in the past few months.

Its nice to have a company deliver several games in the holiday period which live up to expectations IMO (Gears, Viva and BD)

GhaleonEB

starship said:
The reality is, the system has 180k installed base after a year. For any game to move that many copies is good. Microsoft's goal is 200k, and this is a decent chunk of the way there. And moving 32k is very good by any standard, especially a system that earlier this fall took 21 weeks to sell 32k total; everything's relative. You gotta start somewhere. It's a sign that good software will move the hardware. I'm expecting a drop next week, how big will be important. The following week, Lost Planet lands and should provide a small boost again.

Ronok

Yeah it's a sign good software will move hardware, but, they can't release Blue Dragon every week can there. =P

enishi

ziran said:
Famitsu 12/4 - 12/10:

1. Gundam Seed vs ZAFT II (PS2 - Bandai/Namco)
2. Yakuza 2 (PS2 - Sega)
3. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (NDS - Pokémon)
4. Blue Dragon (360 - Microsoft)
5. Wii Sports (Wii - Nintendo)
6. Wii Play (Wii - Nintendo)
7. Momotaro Dentetsu 16 (PS2 - Hudson)
8. Love and Berry DS Collection (NDS - Sega)
9. JUMP ULTIMATE STARS (NDS - Nintendo)
10. Kirby Squeak Squad (NDS - Nintendo)

(Bold = New)

sinobi:
Google translated - would be appreciated if somebody who understands Japanese can correct anything I've misunderstood, it looks like it says:

360:
Blue Dragon ~80k (incl. bundle)

PS2:
Yakuza 2 ~300k
Yakuza Best Price ~200k (total)

NDS:
Hardware ~250k
DS 1000 Recipes ~40K
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl ~3.5 million (total)
Cooking Navi ~600k (total)
Kirby Squeak Squad ~400k (total)
Love and Berry DS Collection ~550k (total)
Common Sense Training ~650k (total)
NSMB, Brain Training 2, Animal Crossing ~3.5 million (total)

Wii:
Hardware ~100k (still sold out)
Wii Sports, Wii Play ~70k
Zelda ~35k, ~200k (total)

And:

PS3 hardware ~40k (still have supply problem)

I'm a bit uncertain on this part since I found that it is rather unbelievable due to start of holiday season. If someone finds that I'm wrong, please correct me :)
PS2 hardware ~70% of last week (or same week last year?)
PSP hardware ~30% of last week (or same week last year?)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the attach rate for zelda only dips a couple of points and people are considering it to not have legs now? I'm not saying it will be a million seller, but as long as it keeps attaching to the console at a 1:2 or 1:3 rate it should cross at least 500K without much of a problem.

LOCK

So Zelda sold as much as Wii Play and Wii Sports in its second week with aroung 35k sales.

Legs for Zelda confirmed. :)

jimbo

Banned
Ronok said:
Yeah it's a sign good software will move hardware, but, they can't release Blue Dragon every week can there. =P

Which is why everyone keeps saying it's important to see if Blue Dragon has legs, and how much it will drop off next week.

And it's already been pointed out Lost Planet comes out next week.

I don't believe anyone here is saying they expect the 360 to have the success that's anywhere near what the Wii and PS3 will in Japan, nor is anyone saying that Blue Dragon will accomplish that.

I think what most level headed people on here are saying is that there's hope that the 360 can sell a respectable number with the right release of games. What BD did for it is above respectable when you consider the system was on life support.

And I also truly believe that anyone that's expecting a 360 game to come out and sell hundreds of thousands of hardware units in a month in Japan is simply crazy. The type of game that can turn the 360 around in Japan is one that has legs, sells about 30-50 a week and can help the 360 maintain hardware at above 10k a week. It needs a game that's true quality, whose quality will NOT easily be surpassed for a long enough period of time so as for it to be on most people's minds, tip of their tongue and front pages of message boards for the next couple of months.

That's how I would define success for the 360 in Japan.

KINGMOKU

Barf_the_Mog said:
You know, considering the news that the Nintendo DS just sold 500k units in Europe this past week and that the DS will probably average over 450k units per week in North America for the entire month of December, it's getting harder and harder to tell if Japan is still its breadbasket.

earthcopy.jpg

:D

ziran

while zelda's sales aren't terrible, imo it does show a definite and continued decline in popularity for the franchise in japan, which is sad, because it's an amazing game. nintendo needs to do something to bring the game back to its more universal appeal roots, and i think phantom hourglass will be the game to do this. twilight princess is looking more and more like a swan song for the hardcore game from nintendo.

however, whichever way you slice it, nintendo seems to have understood exactly what the japanese market wanted in a home console. wii sports and wii play look to be around ~250k already, and it's wii sports, a brand new franchise, selling out the hardware, not zelda or warioware.

having played a little of the japanese version of warioware, i like the game, but i think its problem is its overly complicated and not as fluid or frantic as the others. the mini-games are fun, but rather than having a single control method to interact with the game, be it a pad/button, twisting the gba or a pen/touchscreen, it feels like there's multiple via the different stances, which isn't as good. having the game tell you which control method you'll be using takes some of the fun away. also, it could be an effect of there being several versions of the game in a relatively short period, maybe people are warioware'd out, also touched not being quite as satisfying as the others.

verplant said:
Zelda sold ~140k first week...
yeah, sinobi's estimates can be rough, i'd guess zelda's total is closer to 180k.

enishi said:
And:

I'm a bit uncertain on this part since I found that it is rather unbelievable due to start of holiday season. If someone finds that I'm wrong, please correct me :)
thanks enishi.

LOCK said:
So Zelda sold as much as Wii Play and Wii Sports in its second week with aroung 35k sales.

Legs for Zelda confirmed. :)
i think it's 70k each for wii sports and wii play.

GhaleonEB

jimbo said:
Which is why everyone keeps saying it's important to see if Blue Dragon has legs, and how much it will drop off next week.

I don't believe anyone here is saying they expect the 360 to have the success that's anywhere near what the Wii and PS3 will in Japan, nor is anyone saying that Blue Dragon will accomplish that.

I think what most level headed people on here are saying is that there's hope that the 360 can sell a respectable number with the right release of games. What BD did for it is above respectable when you consider the system was on life support.

And I also truly believe that anyone that's expecting a 360 game to come out and sell hundreds of thousands of hardware units in a month in Japan is simply crazy. The type of game that can turn the 360 around in Japan is one that has legs, sells about 30-50 a week and can help the 360 maintain hardware at above 10k a week. It needs a game that's true quality, whose quality will NOT easily be surpassed for a long enough period of time so as for it to be on most people's minds, tip of their tongue and front pages of message boards for the next couple of months.

That's how I would define success for the 360 in Japan.
That was a figure I had in mind as well; it would be about a 5x improvement over most of this year. It would also get the 360 above the XBox at the same point in its lifespan pretty fast. Honestly, if someone told me the 360 was going to do 30k+ when Blue Dragon came out a few weeks ago, I'd say they were on drugs. I was expecting 15k or so tops the way things were trending. Now it's all about the legs (and the final numbers, of course).

jimbo

Banned
So why do we not have an official media create sales thread for this week? why are we still posting in last week's thread?

Ronok

I don't honestly think that Blue Dragon will have legs.... Like most RPG's it's likely to drop off the second week. 360 could have some decent (for xbox) sales throughout christmas, but, I think come the new year things will be back to normal again.

I'm not saying that what Blue Dragon did isn't respectable, but, considering the people behind Blue Dragon, if it hadn't done atleast that I would have been dissapointed. :(

Magicpaint said:
I bet it just dropped off. Same thing happened with Tales of the Abyss and other major PS2 RPGs.
This one had an impressive sold-through (~90%) of its first shipment. Will depend on how much did they restock and how much is the top10 at...

Magicpaint said:
No it didn't have any legs whatsoever. It sold about 440K in its first week and had a total of less than 600K.
No legs sure, (going through Famitsu) but it opened with 370k and the next week was at 72k, which wasn't enough to reach top10 either but still quite good.

Tales of Legendia and Tales of Symphonia (both PS2 editions) opened between ToD numbers (240k-270k) and had 50k second weeks despite quite smaller sold through. So I think the top10 is really high this week or ToD is a little undershipped...or maybe its a #11 with 1 copy less than Kirby and has its nice 50-60k to push it over 300k already :)

@BD holy shit #4. Hopefully it has legs. If its true they sold 80k that means only 10k since after day 1? Uh-oh?

@Zelda, Japanese gamers FTL.

@Wii Play / Wii Sport next brain age confirmed?

castle007

Banned
250k for DS??

The DS sold 500k last week in Europe. I guess Nintendo is deliberately lowering the shipments to Japan and sending more to Europe and US.

PhoenixDark said:
Nintendo needs to build an entire factory specifically for DS/Wii production. Like Willy Wonka

Imagine that. A Willy Wonka esque chocolate factory, for Nintendo. It... it would be magnificent. With koopa's walking around doing the work, or maybe Yoshi's of a variety of colours. Mario, DK and the whole mushroom kingdom. Large mushrooms just like in Willy Wonka's. A whole mushroom kingdom. And different worlds like Samus's worlds, and pikmin and sfuff. I haven't even thought of the other franchises.

Parl

Draft said:
fyi, the whole ironic "nintendo is doomed" thing really stopped being funny and/or relevant when DS started moving about a million units a month worldwide.

But now it does over 2 million a month, it's can come back for a Christmas special

plagiarize said:
35% attach ratio is a bomb now?

isn't that about the same as it was last week?

never thought i'd see a 360 game above all the DS, Wii and PS3 titles though. this chart doesn't look remotely like any of the ones we've had in the last year plus.

it's interesting times :)

Shit. You're right. 100.000 for this week is too low. Nintendo has to supply more Wii in Japan.

verplant

enishi said:
And:

PSP was at 86,403 last year => ~30% => 25,000

(last week: 23,917)

Brak

If Zelda's already a bomb then WTF is the PS3 lineup?

If you want to spam ridiculous hyperbole how about Castlevania:portrait of Ruin BOMBA!
3rd party sales on Nintendo systems still SUXXORS!

Top Bottom