• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/27 - 12/03

apujanata

ethelred said:
Uh... are you sure? I'm looking at the half-year chart's top 100... and on that, PSP software is only 1,495,610.

I'm finding it kinda hard to believe everything below the top 100 would more than double that figure, given that #100 is at 60k.

PSP games in the top 100:
14 PSP Monster Hunter Portable Capcom 416,285
39 PSP Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth Square Enix 151,798
45 PSP Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu Portable Konami 134,023
49 PSP Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 123,903
57 PSP Ryuta Kawashima's Brain Trainer Portable 111,322
58 PSP Talkman 110,313
62 PSP Initial D: Street Stage 102,775
75 PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable Square Enix 88,925
76 PSP Super Robot Taisen MX Portable Banpresto 87,342
78 PSP Go! Sudoku 85,474
81 PSP Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee Sony 83,450

Now compare it with the following data :
Mar 27 - Sep 30, 2006
15. PSP SD Gundam G Generation Portable - Bandai Namco - 255,493
19. PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable - Konami - 149,190
21. PSP Dragonball Z - Bandai Namco - 139,765
24. PSP LocoRoco - SCE - 124,970
26. PSP Tekken Dark Resurrection - Bandai Namco - 112,197
27. PSP DQ&FF in Itadaki Street Portable - Square Enix - 109,859
28. PSP Derby Stallion P - Enterbrain - 105,708
29. PSP Monster Hunter Portable - Capcom - 104,680
31. PSP Kazuo (aka Sudoku) - SCE - 102,684
34. PSP My Summer Vacation Portable - SCE - 94,978
37. PSP Tales of Phantasia Full Voice - Bandai Namco - 93,351
45. PSP Brain Trainer Portable 2 - Sega - 81,571
52. PSP Bleach Heat the Soul 3 - SCE - 74,384
54. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (the best) - Capcom - 73,332
56. PSP Aha Taiken - Sega - 72,827
60. PSP Naruto: Narutimate Portable - Bandai Namco - 59,070
63. PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - Square Enix - 54,430
67. PSP Talkman - SCE - 52,135
70. PSP Valhalla Knights - MMV - 49,107
71. PSP Everybody's Gold Portable (the best) - SCE - 47,068
73. PSP Pachislot! Fist of the North Star SE - Sega - 44,951
74. PSP Evangelion 2: Man-made World another cases - Bandai Namco - 44,922
75. PSP Ridge Racers 2 - Bandai Namco - 44,812
79. PSP Dokodemo Issho: Let's School! - SCE - 44,229
80. PSP Goku Makaimura - Capcom - 43,875
87. PSP Shin Sangoku Musou 2nd Evolution - Koei - 39,919
88. PSP Winning Eleven 9 Ubiquitous (the best) - Konami - 39,679
89. PSP Everybody's Map - Zenrin - 39,265
93. PSP Daito Pachislot: Osu Banchou Portable - Daito - 37,420
94. PSP Mah Jong Fight Club (the best) - Konami - 36,975
100. PSP Taiko Drum Master Portable 2 - Bandai Namco - 33,021
Total PSP : 2,405,867

I wonder why people are saying that PSP S/W is dying ? based on this data, PSP S/W looks like they are increasing.

Even if we compared the Top 12 (same as Ethelred's data, but for later time period), we got a more or less the same amount of data (1,474,446). So no sign of dying PSP software.

ethelred

apujanata said:
Now compare it with the following data :
Mar 27 - Sep 30, 2006
I wonder why people are saying that PSP S/W is dying ? based on this data, PSP S/W looks like they are increasing.

If we compared the Top 12 (same as Ethelred's data, but for later time period), we got a more or less the same amount of data (1,474,446)

That doesn't work at all.

You're using figures that go from March to September. The half year chart goes from January to June. Both charts overlap on April, May, and June.

Jiggy

Nine of the twelve PSP games to receive a 9.0 or higher from IGN were released in 2006.
Let's see here...

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror Shooter 9.3 Mar 10, 2006
WipEout Pure Racing Action 9.3 Mar 18, 2005
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories [AU] Action 9.2 Nov 12, 2006
Tekken: Dark Resurrection Fighting 9.2 Jul 20, 2006
Ridge Racer Racing 9.1 Mar 17, 2005
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Action 9.0 Dec 4, 2006
Lumines II Music Action 9.0 Nov 7, 2006
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Action 9.0 Oct 30, 2006
Killzone: Liberation Action 9.0 Oct 16, 2006
LocoRoco Action 9.0 Sep 5, 2006
Daxter Platformer 9.0 Mar 9, 2006
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories Action 9.0 Oct 24, 2005

Shenanigans. GTA: VCS is counted twice. :p

Also, for random comparison purposes:

Elite Beat Agents Music 9.5 Nov 1, 2006
New Super Mario Bros. Platformer 9.5 May 6, 2006
Mario Kart DS Racing 9.5 Nov 11, 2005
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Action Adventure 9.3 Oct 4, 2005
Metroid Prime: Hunters Shooter 9.0 Mar 21, 2006
Tetris DS Puzzle 9.0 Mar 15, 2006
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time RPG 9.0 Nov 28, 2005
Sonic Rush Action 9.0 Nov 11, 2005
Advance Wars: Dual Strike Strategy 9.0 Aug 19, 2005
Meteos Puzzle 9.0 Jun 24, 2005
Kirby Canvas Curse Action 9.0 Jun 10, 2005

11 a piece from IGN.

apujanata

ethelred said:
That doesn't work at all.

You're using figures that go from March to September. The half year chart goes from January to June. Both charts overlap on April, May, and June.

I know that. I don't have the Jan-Jun data, so I can not comment. But seeing that the Top 12 games are mostly the same, I think the prognosis that PSP software are dying is not correct (unless you thought that PSP S/W has been dying from the start of 2006).

AniHawk

apujanata said:
I know that. I don't have the Jan-Jun data, so I can not comment. But seeing that the Top 12 games are mostly the same, I think the prognosis that PSP software are dying is not correct (unless you thought that PSP S/W has been dying from the start of 2006).
The fact that Ridge Racers 2 sold under 100k should be pretty damn alarming.

apujanata

AniHawk said:

Well, I mostly agree with your "doom and gloom" prediction, which is why I have never counter it before. But based on the data I mention above (comparing Jan-Jun Top 12 with Apr-Sep Top 12), it seems that there is not significant drop (except maybe for the top 5 or something). Maybe you have an idea why it is so ?

Edit : BTW, I checked Ridge Racer vs Ridge Racer 2, and I can see your concern (308K vs. 44K). But maybe it is because the Ridge Racer series is dying ? (Note : The 44K for RR2 is NOT LTD. I don't have the LTD for that game, so most probably the sales is less than 100K, which is the limit I put for games I track).

AniHawk

apujanata said:
Well, I mostly agree with your "doom and gloom" prediction, which is why I have never counter it before. But based on the data I mention above (comparing Jan-Jun Top 12 with Apr-Sep Top 12), it seems that there is not significant drop (except maybe for the top 5 or something). Maybe you have an idea why it is so ?

Probably because that's the remaining fanbase.

Andy787

Banned
AniHawk said:
It's hard to sell a product that is a near exact replica of your previous product.

Well, unless your title has "Nintendog" or "Pokemon" in it, I guess.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Andy787 said:
It's hard to sell a product that is a near exact replica of your previous product.

Well, unless your title has "Pokemon" in it, I guess.

No. But keep holding onto that hope.

Don't exactly want to start a thread for this..

Anyone have the total LTD for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on DS? US + Japan if they have it? Though, not even sure if you can say the US specifically. Heh.

ethelred

omg rite said:
No.

Don't exactly want to start a thread for this..

Anyone have the total LTD for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on DS? US + Japan if they have it? Though, not even sure if you can say the US specifically. Heh.

About 235k.

AniHawk

Andy787 said:

Yeah, I guess it's easy to sell your games if you make it for a system that isn't a complete failure.

apujanata

Rock_Man said:

Well, the difference is this (based on my understanding, even though I could not read Japanese) :
- PSP's 3,266,000 is based on 110 software, while IGN probably only use the 11 S/W on The Top 100 (and which Ethelred is referring to).
- DS's 15,702,000 is probably also based on entire 96 software, instead of the 32 S/W on Top 100.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC Hardware Current and LTD

mc-next-gen-monthly-sales-0611.jpg

mc-next-gen-market-share-0611.jpg

and just for comparison's sake:

NPD Hardware Current and LTD

next-gen-monthly-sales-0611.jpg

next-gen-market-share-0611.jpg

apujanata

Andy787 said:

Well, you should write an e-mail to Namco, asking them to stop producing a new game that is "near exact replica of previous product".

Andy787

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, I guess it's easy to sell your games if you make it for a system that isn't a complete failure.
You mean "Yeah, I guess it's easy to sell your non-games if you make it for a system that isn't a complete failure." In which case, sure.

AniHawk

Andy787 said:
You mean "Yeah, I guess it's easy to sell your non-games if you make it for a system that isn't a complete failure." In which case, sure.

Ridge Racers 2 is an actual game though. So is Pokemon.

Deku

Banned
Andy787 said:

No I'm pretty sure he meant games. Non-games don't sell on the PSP either I'm afraid.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Andy787 said:

You're such an out of touch fanboy, it's ridiculous.

Not only did you just call PSP a complete failure without realizing it, I love how we're at the point where you're calling Pokemon a non-game. How sad.

Rock_Man

apujanata said:
Well, the difference is this (based on my understanding, even though I could not read Japanese) :
- PSP's 3,266,000 is based on 110 software, while IGN probably only use the 11 S/W on The Top 100 (and which Ethelred is referring to).
- DS's 15,702,000 is probably also based on entire 96 software, instead of the 32 S/W on Top 100.

No. That other number is the number of games released during that period. There were 110 PSP releases during the first half of the year (including PSP the Best series).

Smiles and Cries said:
Nice charts PantherLotus, are you gonna update them monthly? :)
I certainly hope he does. I'd love to see the media create cumulative updated weekly so that we can turn it into an animated gif at the end of next year. :)

Maybe someone who already has all the sales data (hint hint) can do one for PSPvsDS.

Andy787

Banned
omg rite said:
You're such an out of touch fanboy, it's ridiculous.

Not only did you just call PSP a complete failure without realizing it, I love how we're at the point where you're calling Pokemon a non-game. How sad.
I really don't care whether I'm "in touch" or not with sales figures. I like what I like. It doesn't mean I am out of touch, or close-minded --and really, by definition, I am more open-minded than those who simply dismiss the PSP, because I not only love it, but also the DS. I've probably played though more DS games than you or Anihawk, and yet I am always called the fanboy by Nintendo fanboys. :p But hey, I'm out of touch, whatever.

And I do realize that I called the PSP a failure. From the perspective that you all argue in these sales threads, it is. It just happens to be a stupid, stupid perspective.

apujanata

Andy787 said:
I really don't care whether I'm "in touch" or not with sales figures. I like what I like. It doesn't mean I am out of touch, or close-minded --and really, by definition, I am more open-minded than those who simply dismiss the PSP, because I not only love it, but also the DS. I've probably played though more DS games than you or Anihawk, and yet I am always called the fanboy by Nintendo fanboys. :p But hey, I'm out of touch, whatever.

And I do realize that I called the PSP a failure. From the perspective that you all argue in these sales threads, it is. It just happens to be a stupid, stupid perspective.

Really ? And which 3 DS game is your favorite, pray tell ? Also, what is your Top 3 favorite PSP game ?

Skinner.jpg

"Am I so out of touch? no, it is the children who are wrong"

also, something tells me Andy's favorite 3 DS games are gonna be mighty high quality.

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
No. That other number is the number of games released during that period. There were 110 PSP releases during the first half of the year (including PSP the Best series).

Ethelred said:
Uh... are you sure? I'm looking at the half-year chart's top 100... and on that, PSP software is only 1,495,610.

I'm finding it kinda hard to believe everything below the top 100 would more than double that figure, given that #100 is at 60k.

When I compare the data mentioned by Ethelred and the data you linked to, and assuming that Ethelred actually calculate the # on spreadsheet, I don't think the 3.26 Million is for the 11 Games. Just calculate it yourself, if you don't believe me.

Andy787

Banned
apujanata said:
Really ? And which 3 DS game is your favorite, pray tell ? Also, what is your Top 3 favorite PSP game ?
DS:
Advance Wars DS
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse

PSP:
Lumines
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Ridge Racers

Haven't started Portable Ops yet.

imastalker co. said:
Skinner.jpg

"Am I so out of touch? no, it is the children who are wrong"

also, something tells me Andy's favorite 3 DS games are gonna be mighty high quality.
Well at least you agree that you're the child in the situation.

Rock_Man

apujanata said:
When I compare the data mentioned by Ethelred and the data you linked to, and assuming that Ethelred actually calculate the # on spreadsheet, I don't think the 3.26 Million is for the 11 Games. Just calculate it yourself, if you don't believe me.

The 3.26 million is the number of software sold for all PSP games. Not only the 11 games in the top 100 and not only the games released during the first half of the year.

apujanata

Andy787 said:
DS:
Advance Wars DS
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby Canvas Curse

PSP:
Lumines
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Ridge Racers

Haven't started Portable Ops yet.

And how many DS games and PSP games you have ? (just the total #, no need for mentioning the name of the games). Please separate the # for DS and the # for PSP.

ethelred

apujanata said:
And how many DS games and PSP games you have ? (just the total #, no need for mentioning the name of the games). Please separate the # for DS and the # for PSP.

Why does it matter? Can't he just like the PSP more while still liking both systems? This is such a silly tangent.

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
The 3.26 million is the number of software sold for all PSP games. Not only the 11 games in the top 100 and not only the games released during the first half of the year.

IGN said:
PSP has sold 2.8 million games to date this year, while Nintendo has sold 27 million games. This is what is referred to in business as a clobbering.

Notice how IGN mentioned "to date this year" ? I take it as sales in year 2006. If we take it as "all software LTD", then IGN is wrong.

BTW, I think your interpretation of the 3.26 million is not correct, since I find hard to believe that DS LTD, all software is only 15 million. If I have time, I will calculate the # for DS for Jan-June 06. Or maybe elthered wanted to do that ?

ethelred said:
Why does it matter? Can't he just like the PSP more while still liking both systems? This is such a silly tangent.

Did he ever say he liked PSP more? Just wondering...

And how can I get my tag changed? I'd like something like "300k am success" or something like that.

Kirby Canvas Curse?

apujanata

ethelred said:

I am thinking about this statement from him :
I've probably played though more DS games than you or Anihawk, and yet I am always called the fanboy by Nintendo fanboys

Just wanted to get an idea of how many games he actually has, since he said it.

When I think of hardcore (as in lots and lots of games), I usually think of Jonnyram. Now that is one person I can honestly say WOW to.

ethelred

apujanata said:
Notice how IGN mentioned "to date this year" ? I take it as sales in year 2006. If we take it as "all software LTD", then IGN is wrong.

BTW, I think your interpretation of the 3.26 million is not correct, since I find hard to believe that DS LTD, all software is only 15 million. If I have time, I will calculate the # for DS for Jan-June 06. Or maybe elthered wanted to do that ?

DS software in the top 100 of the half-year chart was 14,236,421.

I find it a bit odd that we are, for some reason, doubling the PSP's 1,495,610 but assuming the DS tops out at 15 mil.

Andy787

Banned
apujanata said:
I'm not going to count them all, but well over twenty for both, probably in the thirties for DS.

I don't still own them all, as I have a pretty particular taste when it comes to what I keep in my collection, eBaying whatever I decide not to keep. But I do play through almost all of my games, unless I outright do not enjoy them (Brain Training and Nintendogs, for example --yes, I do try the games I criticize).

Rock_Man

apujanata said:

The 3.26 million number is still a YTD number for the first half of 2006!! But it does include sales for games released in 2005, but not sales for that year!

apujanata

ethelred said:

I find it a bit odd that we are, for some reason, doubling the PSP's 1,495,610 but assuming the DS tops out at 15 mil.

The 15 million is mentioned in the geimin.net link Rock_Man provided (go to the bottom of the page for the figures for DS, PSP, PS2 etc).

I am wondering what does that 15 Million figure (for DS) stand for. Rock_Man think it is all software YTD, but I am not sure, especially after knowing your calculation for Jan-Jun 06 Top 100.

Edit : Change the LTD to YTD, since I didn't read Rock_Man's post that was posted 4 minutes before my post. Slow Internet access FTL.

Rock_Man

ethelred said:

It's like adding 1.7 million sales to both systems. It makes sense to me. I can promise you these numbers are true!

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
YTD.
Perhaps I typed wrong somewhere?

I didn't read your latest post, so I quote wrongly. I have edited my own post.

A little bit of analysis, to check out Rock_Man's claim.

PSP
Top 100 game : 11 game : 1,495,610.
110 game (including 11 game in Top 100) : 3,266,000
Average sales of game outside Top 100 = 1,770,390 / 99 = 17,882

NDS
Top 100 game : 32 game : 14,236,421
96 game (including 32 game in top 100) : 15,702,000
Average sales of game outside Top 100 = 1,465,579 / 64 = 22,900

As can be seen, it is quite possible that it is as Rock_Man said, that the figure is 2006 YTD sales, for all games.

IGN most probably didn't use all software YTD, but only use Top 100 YTD. Anyway, the 26 Million figure for DS is puzzling. Where did IGN get that ?

OT : Anihawk used to claim that PSP games dominated the lower end of the sales rank. Based on the figure, I can agree to his claim. Anihawk FTW.

Rock_Man

apujanata said:
I didn't read your latest post, so I quote wrongly. I have edited my own post.

A little bit of analysis, to check out Rock_Man's claim.

PSP
Top 100 game : 11 game : 1,495,610.
110 game (including 11 game in Top 100) : 3,266,000
Average sales of game outside Top 100 = 1,770,390 / 99 = 17,882

NDS
Top 100 game : 32 game : 14,236,421
96 game (including 32 game in top 100) : 15,702,000
Average sales of game outside Top 100 = 1,465,579 / 64 = 22,900

As can be seen, it is quite possible that it is as Rock_Man said, that the figure is 2006 YTD sales, for all games.

IGN most probably didn't use all software YTD, but only use Top 100 YTD. Anyway, the 26 Million figure for DS is puzzling. Where did IGN get that ?

Yes, but please forget about the 110 and 96 numbers, they don't have anything to do with this. For example, Monster Hunter Portable is not included in the 110 number, but it's sales for 2006 are included in the 3,266,000 number. Your analysis is still valid for your point though.

Rock_Man

My own estimations of DS/PSP software sold (I validate my estimations every time I get new totals from Famitsu and I've been very close):

YTD/LTD

NDS 31.1M / 44.1M
PSP 5.8M / 10.6M

wazoo

Jiggy37 said:
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror Shooter 9.3 Mar 10, 2006
WipEout Pure Racing Action 9.3 Mar 18, 2005
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories [AU] Action 9.2 Nov 12, 2006
Tekken: Dark Resurrection Fighting 9.2 Jul 20, 2006
Ridge Racer Racing 9.1 Mar 17, 2005
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Action 9.0 Dec 4, 2006
Lumines II Music Action 9.0 Nov 7, 2006
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Action 9.0 Oct 30, 2006
Killzone: Liberation Action 9.0 Oct 16, 2006
LocoRoco Action 9.0 Sep 5, 2006
Daxter Platformer 9.0 Mar 9, 2006
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories Action 9.0 Oct 24, 2005

Shenanigans. GTA: VCS is counted twice. :p

Most of them are 2006.

Elite Beat Agents Music 9.5 Nov 1, 2006
New Super Mario Bros. Platformer 9.5 May 6, 2006
Mario Kart DS Racing 9.5 Nov 11, 2005
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Action Adventure 9.3 Oct 4, 2005
Metroid Prime: Hunters Shooter 9.0 Mar 21, 2006
Tetris DS Puzzle 9.0 Mar 15, 2006
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time RPG 9.0 Nov 28, 2005
Sonic Rush Action 9.0 Nov 11, 2005
Advance Wars: Dual Strike Strategy 9.0 Aug 19, 2005
Meteos Puzzle 9.0 Jun 24, 2005
Kirby Canvas Curse Action 9.0 Jun 10, 2005

11 a piece from IGN.

most of them are 2005.

No wonder I'm playing my PSP more than my DS now.

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
My own estimations of DS/PSP software sold (I validate my estimations every time I get new totals from Famitsu and I've been very close):

YTD/LTD

NDS 31.1M / 44.1M
PSP 5.8M / 10.6M

Considering that NDS are release Dec 2, 2004, and PSP are released on Dec 12, 2004, I think it is quite interesting to note that :
In less than one year sales (in 2006), NDS software managed to sell 70% of their total software (for 2 years period).
In less than one year sales (in 2006), PSP software managed to sell 54% of their total software (for 2 years period).

It is not that PSP are doing badly, but the problem is that NDS is doing Extraordinarily well (H/W & S/W). It will be very interesting to see how PSP software did in H2 (July - Dec) 06 compared to H1 (Jan - Jun) 06.

If we didn't see significant drop, then PSP might survive in Japan (better than Bandai's Wonderswan series).

Snaku said:
So wait, DS lite sold more in America than Japan in November? :eek:

TIME PARADOX
Yes, in the second-biggest month of the year in the world's largest gaming market, it finally managed to outdo supply-constricted Japan. :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AdmiralViscen said:
Wow, this topic has gotten ridiculous.

It's amazing that some people try to paint the Nfans as the bizarre and rabid ones.

Yeah but there's some sweet charts that are hardly getting any play at all! Let's talk about that.

And for no reason in particular:

wiiartcontrollergirl.jpg

Top Bottom