• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Jonnyram

Monster Hunter 2 Portable will be number one by a MASSIVE margin next week.
You can hardcode that into your script, Cheesemeister :)

In fact, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think PSP sales are gonna be big next week too.

Vinnk

Since the number of copies of Wii Sports is down I predict that Wii sales will also be down this week. I live in Japan and I can't find the system anywhere around me so it seems like (from my limited anecdotal evidence) there was a small shipment this week.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Raw64life said:
DS games dominating the top 30 for the 100th time it's got to be now.

Fire Emblem and Naruto next week.

Ah good to hear!

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

In fact, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think PSP sales are gonna be big next week too.

I thought the initial shipment (or preorders) were only 500K.

Anywho I hope Capcom gets the first (and maybe only?) million seller for PSP in Japan with the first game. :D

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Jonnyram said:

Are we talking 200k+ PSP sales this next week? As in PSP > DS perhaps?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AniHawk said:
the GTA III series.

Didn't know they performed well. Any numbers?

Edit: I see only GTAIII was released in Japan (no Vice City). And it didn't even reach the San Andreas cumulatives sales in 31 weeks. San Andreas is already ahead after just 4.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I thought the initial shipment (or preorders) were only 500K.

Anywho I hope Capcom gets the first (and maybe only?) million seller for PSP in Japan with the first game. :D
It could be like Brain Age, with the sequel outselling the original massively. From what I've seen yesterday and today, that looks to be the case.

Dante

Jonnyram said:

defibrillator.gif

I don't see how MHP2 would affect PSP hardware much. Wouldn't most of these hypothetical buyers already have bought a PSP, y'know, for MHP1?

Jokeropia

The Black Brad Pitt said:
wii takes a big hit this month.
Uhh, Wii Sports and Wii Play are slightly down and the third Wii game last week was Warioware at #27. (And then a couple just outside top 30.) Hardly a "big hit".

adelante

And to think there were people who thought "a critically acclaimed title like VF5" can sustain itself through at least a month......who would've figured such assumptions would turn out to be nothing more than outlandish

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Not enough DS domination.

Let's not get carried away now.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Are we talking 200k+ PSP sales this next week? As in PSP > DS perhaps?

Doubt it, since Amazon restocked all 5 DSL colors and they're far above the PSP. MHP2 is #1 though. :)

dyls said:
Too bad third-party games can't succeed on DS.

I realize that's sarcasm, but that's actually true for the most part. The exception is stuff like brain training games, which is basically what Prof. Layton is (And Squinenix stuff, too is the other part of the exception).

The other 3rd party stuff on the NDS didn't do so well. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about, either, and will likely dive sharply next week.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
trancejeremy said:
I realize that's sarcasm, but that's actually true for the most part. The exception is stuff like brain training games, which is basically what Prof. Layton is (And Squinenix stuff, too is the other part of the exception).

The other 3rd party stuff on the NDS didn't do so well. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about, either, and will likely dive sharply next week.

4/6 DS games in the top 10 are 3rd party titles. I think your expectations are too lofty.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
trancejeremy said:
Layton is brain training now? so it's a non game and it didnt have to reach 1 million amazing :) go layton

Brak

trancejeremy said:

DQ Heroes, DQ Monsters, and FF3 are in the same genre as brain training now?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jonnyram said:

How can you be sure that Virtua Fighter 5 won't make a comeback?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I don't know why people got their hopes up for VF5 to turn a tide. Fighters aren't dominant like they were in the 90s.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
typhonsentra said:
Looks like Nintendo timed the release of Fire Emblem perfectly.

To be overshadowed in the same week by the biggest game launch so far this year? (Monster Hunter 2)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Seeing Professor Layton in the top slot with 136k for its debut week is great news for gamers. Developers that make an investment in great art, a fantastic interface, while embracing the themes of the present (mini-puzzles)...while offering a very, very heavy challenge...these developers will be recognized and rewarded.

The two sequels are already in development, too. Good news for daring developers.

BboyDubC

Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't know why people got their hopes up for VF5 to turn a tide. Fighters aren't dominant like they were in the 90s.

They are... just only IN THE ARCADES. I don't know why anybody expected anything else. It's a 600 dollar system, and the people have VF5 in the arcades already. There is no urgency for anyone to run out and get VF. Fighting games you need competition. Fighters aren't just casual games you sit at home and play in Japan. They are games where you go to the arcade and play to get a good level of competition, enjoy yourself, and get better. In essence, fighters in Japan today are what they were for AMERICA in the 90s. Arcades in general in Japan are like that, since there is one pretty much closeby to everyone.

Haunted

Awesome numbers for Layton. So glad it seems to pay off for Level 5. I thought MHP 2 would be in included in the charts for this week? Next week, then.

Thanks for the OP, Cheese - well done.

edit: oh, and VF5...? let's not talk about it.

PantherLotus said:
Seeing Professor Layton in the top slot with 136k for its debut week is great news for gamers. Developers that make an investment in great art, a fantastic interface, while embracing the themes of the present (mini-puzzles)...while offering a very, very heavy challenge...these developers will be recognized and rewarded.

The two sequels are already in development, too. Good news for daring developers.
Yeah, hats off to L5. First self-published title for them, correct? Nice to see that taking a chance paid off so well.

trancejeremy said:

.... argh.

Bebpo

Banned
Good scores for Layton. Great game and the sequels should sell even better.

Real pity about Soul Cradle. Should've been on the DS.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Barf_the_Mog said:
To be overshadowed in the same week by the biggest game launch so far this year? (Monster Hunter 2)
Fire Emblem will sell to Fire Emblem fans, I dont see a lot of people buying the game.

Mar

BboyDubC said:
I don't know why anybody expected anything else.

Come on.. Do you really believe that? Or are you just saying that in light of its poor sales?

I think it's reasonable to suggest that almost everyone was expecting VF5 to go well in Japan. Or at least do good. It's not doing either. Instead it's doing quite badly.

Oblivion said:
That was his point.
No... I was serious. What I meant was seeing as how Wii hardware sales are so closely tied to WiiPlay/WiiSports sales, seeing how this is the lowest month for both of those games (With no additional Wii games in the top 30) it might also be a low for hardware. Thus the release of a major title the following week leads me to believe Nintendo was able to predict this ahead of time.

... Or maybe they just didn't ship as many units this week. I don't know the what the supply situation is over there.

Vinnk

BboyDubC said:
They are... just only IN THE ARCADES. I don't know why anybody expected anything else. It's a 600 dollar system, and the people have VF5 in the arcades already. There is no urgency for anyone to run out and get VF. Fighting games you need competition. Fighters aren't just casual games you sit at home and play in Japan. They are games where you go to the arcade and play to get a good level of competition, enjoy yourself, and get better. In essence, fighters in Japan today are what they were for AMERICA in the 90s. Arcades in general in Japan are like that, since there is one pretty much closeby to everyone.

Fighters arn't dominent in the arcades either. Arcades are closing left and right in Japan and the ones who survive do so because they have gotten rid of most of the tradidional games and moved in "Mushiking" and "Love and Berry" along with UFO Cathers and slot machines. When I moved to Japan in 2001 there were fighting games everywhere. Now the few arcades that are still open relegate them to a smokey corner. Keep in mind that the diehards are still there every day pumping coin after coin into the machines but they are not the casual gamers, the casuals are on the other side of the arcade playing the Taiko game and taking purikura. Fighting games havn't been dominant in the arcades for a long time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
Good scores for Layton. Great game and the sequels should sell even better.

Real pity about Soul Cradle. Should've been on the DS.
It feels like NIS would rather go out of business before they make a game for a Nintendo system. Not that they have anything to worry about since the PS2 exists.

enishi

As next week's chart seems to be set now (with MHP2 on top, DS owns the rest), it is interesting to see the chart 2 weeks' later.

The 2nd week of MHP2, Gundam Musou, Super Robot War W: we will see some good fight at the top of chart.

Pud

Banned
typhonsentra said:
No... I was serious. What I meant was seeing as how Wii hardware sales are so closely tied to WiiPlay/WiiSports sales, seeing how this is the lowest month for both of those games (With no additional Wii games in the top 30) it might also be a low for hardware. Thus the release of a major title the following week leads me to believe Nintendo was able to predict this ahead of time.

... Or maybe they just didn't ship as many units this week. I don't know the what the supply situation is over there.

Still sold out completely, as are the 2 big sellers (Wii Sports/Play). Much like NA - I don't know whether they're hoarding them for next week or they are reallocating them more to other regions.

Anyone have an idea why the PS3 is selling at all in Japan since no one seems interested in the games available at all?

Playstation Fanbase + Blu Ray adopters? That's my best guess. Y'know, the fanboys of any system aren't large in numbers (nor are 'hardcore gamers'). Despite popular opinion on GAF, the world doesn't revolve around us. In order for a system to take off at all, it has to be selling beyond its fanbase/the hardcore. That's what's happening with the Wii.

Top Bottom