• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Lapsed

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Ever read "The Innovator's Dilemma"? Talks a lot about company size and ability to foster disruption.

Kobun is right. I wonder if Nintendo wanted the Wii to launch next to the PS3 so everyone would compare the two. Miyamoto did, after all, say the PS3 launch would affect Nintendo.

'Innovator's Dilemma' was one of the two books (the other being 'Blue Ocean Stratey') that Reggie specifically pointed out for anyone to understand the Nintendo strategy.

Reggie said:
The second book is "The Innovator's Dilemma." I actually had the opportunity to meet the author of this. The thinking is similar, slightly different bend. What this focuses on is the concept of disruptive technologies. There's a lot of examples in history that touch on this. The thought being that if you are a market leader, you focus on doing what you are doing a little bit better.

And then out of nowhere, some one comes with a disruptive technology and impacts your marketplace. A great example is one of our competitors. You look at how Sony was so focused on creating a better Discman, a better disc-playing portable device, MP3 players came out of nowhere and impacted their marketplace. And then, out of nowhere, came Apple with IPod and ITunes and further disrupted their marketplace.

What this talks about is creating new definitions of performance, new definition and what the consumers wants and delivering on that in new and provocative ways. These disruptive technologies typically appeal to new customers, people entering the category for the first time, but done successfully really blow open a marketplace and bring all types of consumers -- new, existing -- into the marketplace.

Typically, simple, simpler, more straightforward applications versus again, a market leader focusing on "I'm simply going to do more of the same that has lead me to a successful marketplace."

Later, during the question and answer part:

Q: Do you see Microsoft and Sony as competitors the way you are building the Revolution's strategy?

A: I see Sony and Microsoft pursuing the same strategies. Center of the home, multipurpose, very expensive… Ya know I got a kick out of the latest comments on the PS3 and its frame rate. It is like 3X the rate that your eye can see a difference! I mean talk about overshooting consumer needs and creating an opportunity for a disruptor to come in and say "look at this different solution." So going back to my examples, do I think Southwest thought of the other airlines as competitors? Well sure I did. Do I see Sony and Microsoft as a competitor? Sure I do. But they are on a different path. I'm not saying one path is right and one is wrong. I am just saying that one has the potential to lead to a very very different marketplace. I see that it is working based on Nintendogs and Mario Kart. It isn't either/or. It is doing both.

As most have said, excellent start for Layton. And congrats to Level-5.

Good to see Hotel Dusk and Harvest Moon still hanging in there.

I wonder if the PSP version of ToD2 might propel the game to finally become a million seller. :p

bycha

OMG at wii.
Basically they sell just western version + controller. Nowhere near 2.5 attach rate.

Bad news.

I agree that MHP2 will sell very well, but I don't see it sell millions as many say here. Probably it will sell less then 400k the first week and it will reach in the long term the million, that remains a lot for a PSP game. That's all. Some people here that think it will sell like crazy will be disappointed.

Mmm, better than yesterday's Famitsu numbers for ToD2. I wonder if it'll do like ToP or ToE since they all have very similar starts but ToE had great legs. I hope MHP2 helps ToD2 to get a few more sales, its the first port of that game just like ToE, it can't do just like the 4th version of ToP....

Level 5 nailed it, congrats. I hope they make budget versions when the next entry strikes to pump even more users into the games, just like SEGA did successfully with Yakuza.

MHP keeps in the top30, I really don't think MHP2 is going to become even bigger than that. But its going to be easily the biggest PSP seller this year. If SCEJ wasn't just pathetic nowadays, they would have Minna no Golf Portable 2 in two weeks to keep momentum :/

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I agree that MHP2 will sell very well, but I don't see it sell millions as many say here. Probably it will sell less then 400k the first week and it will reach in the long term the million, that remains a lot for a PSP game. That's all. Some people here that think it will sell like crazy will be disappointed.

Someone should re-post that old quote from the Sony spokesperson about the DS being relegated as a machine purely for young pokemon players, and modify the wording a bit to correspond with MPH and PSP.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I hope MHP2 helps ToD2 to get a few more sales, its the first port of that game just like ToE, it can't do just like the 4th version of ToP....

I'm thinking the opposite will happen. I think MHP2 is going to take away attention from ToD2. It should hit 100K though which isn't bad. I still think ToE's 200+K was due to its timing around the launch window. I certainly didn't expect ToD2 to match it.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I agree that MHP2 will sell very well, but I don't see it sell millions as many say here.

Who are the 'many' that are saying it'll sell in millions? What I see is people expecting it to be huge. But that doesn't mean we suddenly think it'll do FF or DQ first week numbers.

Jonnyram

Famitsu, I believe...

DS
Layton 120k
Deathnote 47k
Bleach 2 43k

PSP
Tales of Kurosaki Ichigo 2 65k
Kanon 7.8k
Lumines II 4k

PS2
Soul Cradle 50k

(VF3 14k this week)

Hardware
DSL 140k
PSP 38k
PS2 16k
PS3 20k
Wii 64k
360 4.7k

D.Lo

NintendosBooger said:
Someone should re-post that old quote from the Sony spokesperson about the DS being relegated as a machine purely for young pokemon players, and modify the wording a bit to correspond with MPH and PSP.
Here's the quote, knock yourself out:

Phil Harrison said:
'Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down. It’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon.'

Jonnyram said:
Famitsu, I believe...

Hardware
DSL 140k
PSP 38k
PS2 16k
PS3 20k
Wii 64k
360 4.7k

Nothing really surprising there I suppose. DS just blowing everything away as always. Is the Wii still supply constrained? I hope 360 can maintain ~4-5k until the next RPG. Terrible sales by normal standards of course, but you could get away with calling it a niche.

Is the Wii still supply constrained?

That's certainly what some GAFers have been saying, and the fluctuating figures - 65-ish one week, 75/80-ish the next - would seem to suggest that the system may still be selling just whatever Nintendo can get on the shelves. I don't think it's at the scale of the DS yet, but the Wii certainly seems to be in fairly high demand still - interested to see whether the next set of big releases will push that further.

Wii selling 60-75 a week would seemingly be in line with the supply the US is recieving, so anything around that figure would seem to indicate supply issues.

Ryu1999

verplant said:
wonder if Gundam can do more than 5k up for only one week for ps3 hardware...

From the JP Amazon page, its at #3. I can't read japanese so I don't know if the ranking for video game pre-orders or video games sales overall

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with VF5
legs.jpg

But I thought it was cute.

trancejeremy said:
I realize that's sarcasm, but that's actually true for the most part. The exception is stuff like brain training games, which is basically what Prof. Layton is (And Squinenix stuff, too is the other part of the exception).

The other 3rd party stuff on the NDS didn't do so well. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about, either, and will likely dive sharply next week.

I see you've been reading Monologic for Dummies.

LOCK

I bet Nintendo held back some Wii's this week in Japan so that they can release alot when Fire Emblem and Naruto are released.

Also DS third party sales are alive...YAY

And somebody, anybody, please bring Prof. Layton to the US.

Cosmozone

Great sales for Layton. I think this is the first time I've seen a game with good art on the top of the charts. Hooray! :D To be fair, I don't follow the charts so closely, though.

Xeke

Banned
LOCK said:
I bet Nintendo held back some Wii's this week in Japan so that they can release alot when Fire Emblem and Naruto are released.

Also DS third party sales are alive...YAY

And somebody, anybody, please bring Prof. Layton to the US.

Well thats impossible because 3rd party games don't do well on the DS!

Ngeist

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

It may sell a million at least, as there were relatively big queues for its release.

Neomoto

01. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 136,736 / NEW
07. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 39,598 / 1,134,069
12. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise
13. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
15. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Awesome performance so far. :) Next week will be very interesting.

Ouch @ VF5

I expected it to be in the Top 10 still. Either at 8, 9, or 10 but not 25.

Software performance is hitting Xbox 360 levels: high sales the first week and then flops hard after.

Its nice to see Professor Layton sales are spiting the the those who argue that nongames and nintendo are killing the industry *coughamiroxcough*

The Experiment said:
Ouch @ VF5

I expected it to be in the Top 10 still. Either at 8, 9, or 10 but not 25.

Software performance is hitting Xbox 360 levels: high sales the first week and then flops hard after.

Isn't that true for most games outside the DS though? How many games on other formats stick around in the top 10 for week 2? It seems to be a rare occurance amongst the regular DS games.

Xeke

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Isn't that true for most games outside the DS though? How many games on other formats stick around in the top 10 for week 2? It seems to be a rare occurance amongst the regular DS games.

Well Wiisports is continuing that trend onto the Wii.

Top Bottom