• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

sphinx said:
the PS/N64 era was in a whole different league in regards to public enthusiasm. Just look at the hype for Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil, Mario 64, among many others. People were absolutely mad for those games, completely crazy.

Even today, don't you dare imply ocarina of time is NOT the best game of all time, or that Final fantasy 7 isn't the best in the series or that the pinnacle of 3d platforming isn't embodied in Mario 64. That kind of craziness was never achieved last gen. well...maybe Halo with the shooter genre but that's an american thing, not global.

Even with the PS2 huge sales, the hype is lukewarm compared to that.

it all comes to personal impressions, I suppose.

It's true that the PS/N64 years had more blockbusters (last gen had GTA and Halo and... that was about it), but mostly the hype was on the *games* themselves. The craziness over the PS2 was there from day one even when it didn't have many killer apps, and it got to downright ridiculous levels.

Actually, I'd submit that it's partly because of the N64 that some of the PS1 hype, at least from what I remember in NA, wasn't as big as PS2. Nintendo was still dropping first-party smashes (in fact, correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Mario 64, Zelda, GoldenEye, and Mario Kart outsell anything on the PS?), and although PlayStation was still winning decisively, to most of the public the videogame market was "Sony and Nintendo" in much the way the generation preceding it was "Nintendo and Sega."

XBox and GameCube (even combined) really couldn't do the same with the PS2. Last gen was completely PlayStation dominated, with the odd Halo or Smash Bros party. Of course, I wasn't so big on gaming in those years so my perspective is probably a little different than many others here, but that's how I remember it.

By the way, don't the XBox and GameCube seem like the split personalities of the Nintendo 64? (I realize I'm getting really off topic...)

oldie-newbie said:
Where is my weekly Media Create Charts Fix ???

Time to go sleeping in the old Europe. Will be back in few hours to "eat" numbers :D

It's DST. The Media Create numbers, and consequently the new thread, won't be posted for about 45 minutes.

Vinnk

When I see that smile and that hat of cheese.. I know good times with number are at hand..

Or a Packers game...

Lived in Wisconsin for 22 years

KINGMOKU

Vinnk said:
When I see that smile and that hat of cheese.. I know good times with number are at hand..

Or a Packers game...

Lived in Wisconsin for 22 years

So, whens the new village report hit? My excite for that is rapidly catching up to the MC thread.

I was born in Wisconsin. Dont know where. Moved at 1week old

Vinnk

moku said:
So, whens the new village report hit? My excite for that is rapidly catching up to the MC thread.

It will be done in a few hours (I will hit the stores after work), but I like to post it at the same time as Hardware is posted so that there can be some perspective with which items are supply constrained.

Also, any requests this week?

Epiphyte

Vinnk said:
It will be done in a few hours (I will hit the stores after work), but I like to post it at the same time as Hardware is posted so that there can be some perspective with which items are supply constrained.

Wonderswan Color!

Jammy

Banned
Vinnk said:

PS3 stuff in relation to Wii stuff. You gave a great post last week where the shopowner or somebody you talked to told of the longass shortage of NES systems years ago. I'd like to hear what he says about the PS3 and Wii... like what customers think, what's coming in more, etc.

Evlar

Banned
Vinnk said:

We probably should be checking on the availability of Yoshi's Island DS. Other than that, and the games/systems you tracked last week, I don't see much that is likely to be supply constrained.

Vinnk

The Sphinx said:
We probably should be checking on the availability of Yoshi's Island DS. Other than that, and the games/systems you tracked last week, I don't see much that is likely to be supply constrained.

Thanks for bringing this to the other thread.

Mariah Carey said:
XBox and GameCube (even combined) really couldn't do the same with the PS2. Last gen was completely PlayStation dominated, with the odd Halo or Smash Bros party. Of course, I wasn't so big on gaming in those years so my perspective is probably a little different than many others here, but that's how I remember it.

Here in America (only), I think the Xbox did manage, in the latter half of its life, to sort of become the "other" console. So it was "PS2 and Xbox". Maybe from around Halo 2 onward. But you're right, it was never quite the perceived duality the market had been the last couple of generations, it was just another console worth mentioning, not a real "contender". I don't think the general public thought of them like that, like you had one or the other. It was more like, you have a PS2, and maybe you also have an Xbox. Or a Gamecube, if you're really into games or have kids.

Top Bottom