• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

sphinx

the piano man
I believe, if this shinobi numbers are true, that this is only the beginning of further nintendo domination. More than domination, it will be obliteration. Wii is THIS near of becoming a "playstation 1" phenomenon. It just needs ONE single game ( yes a bigger one than sports and play) to decide the japanese videogaming fate for the next 5 or 6 years.

DS and Wii are only going to take off from now one. The slow post-holidays seasons is reaching its end and games will start to flow. It's getting VERY scary for the PS3 because of that. couple with the fact that it seems the system is doomed to the 20k units per week for eternity.

dark days are coming for sony......

Saitou

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
Lapsed -- I respected his posts because he was careful to support his statements and made logical extrapolations, but all the complaints made against him are true. He was a hit-and-run poster and he said the same things over and over and over again. Annoying if you disagree with him, sure. But permabanned?

The mass banning are pretty ridiculous these days. So many folks banned, many of them forgettable posters, but what's the deal? We have flamebaiting mods, prolific but untouchable trolls, hundreds of posts a day that consist solely of ":lol " or "spaaanuuud" or whatever catch phrase is in vogue at the moment, constant bickering and whining between and among fanboy factions ... Under these conditions, banning anyone at all from GAF is akin to kicking a retarded kid off the short bus.

doubleplusungood

justjohn

sphinx said:
I believe, if this shinobi numbers are true, that this is only the beginning of further nintendo domination. More than domination, it will be obliteration. Wii is THIS near of becoming a "playstation 1" phenomenon. It just needs ONE single game ( yes a bigger one than sports and play) to decide the japanese videogaming fate for the next 5 or 6 years.

DS and Wii are only going to take off from now one. The slow post-holidays seasons is reaching its end and games will start to flow. It's getting VERY scary for the PS3 because of that. couple with the fact that it seems the system is doomed to the 20k units per week for eternity.

dark days are coming for sony......
someone hold me :(

Avrum

Impressive Wii sales if true...

Software seems about as static as ever, but I must agree on Layton and Yoshi's Island 2's showings. Very strong legs for both.

Wiitard

Banned
donny2112 said:
:lol

You sound like the captured U.S. airmen in the first Persian Gulf War that said "I think our leaders and our people have wrongly attacked the peaceful people of Iraq" as he was a POW being held behind Iraqi lines. :p

Do I? Why would I? Just because I'm expressing my beliefs just like I'm sure he was expressing his? I'm sure he firmly believed that US leaders and people have wronly attacked the peaceful people of Iraq.

ghostlyjoe said:
Lapsed -- I respected his posts because he was careful to support his statements and made logical extrapolations, but all the complaints made against him are true. He was a hit-and-run poster and he said the same things over and over and over again. Annoying if you disagree with him, sure. But permabanned?

The mass banning are pretty ridiculous these days. So many folks banned, many of them forgettable posters, but what's the deal? We have flamebaiting mods, prolific but untouchable trolls, hundreds of posts a day that consist solely of ":lol " or "spaaanuuud" or whatever catch phrase is in vogue at the moment, constant bickering and whining between and among fanboy factions ... Under these conditions, banning anyone at all from GAF is akin to kicking a retarded kid off the short bus.

This is unheard of in Media Create threads: as it should be - market conditions in Japan are in constant state of flux and every week is nothing like the last or the next.

I particularly want to stress how pleased I am that Lapsed was not given a second chance. Those should be reserved for people like gentle Drinky or noble Tabris. Lapsed, on the other hand, has show such a disregard for forum etiquette and was so clearly immune to reasoning that no other measure would have been appropriate.

sphinx said:
I believe, if this shinobi numbers are true, that this is only the beginning of further nintendo domination. More than domination, it will be obliteration. Wii is THIS near of becoming a "playstation 1" phenomenon.
PS2 did better than PS1, and Wii sales compare favorably with PS2. Considering PS2's Japanese sales were limited at the end of 2000 by worldwide hardware shortages due to NA/EU launches, I imagine Wii will pass up PS2 by the end of the year.

d[-_-]b

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
PS2 did better than PS1, and Wii sales compare favorably with PS2. Considering PS2's Japanese sales were limited at the end of 2000 by worldwide hardware shortages due to NA/EU launches, I imagine Wii will pass up PS2 by the end of the year.
And I was wondering where my chart guy was.
Can we also get a graph comparing the first 52 weeks and other consoles, mainly sucessful ones ;D.

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sony's got to be happy that the PSP has found a new, higher level. Software sales are still not great, but the Monster Hunter bump seems to have caused a new plateau of sales for PSP hardware.

Yes it has. Although considering where it started, which is lower sales yoy at the start of 2007, what's happening now has only put it back on track of your typical product lifecycle, where the sales accelerate as prices come down, network effects increases and adoption speeds up out of the early adopter markets.

Kafel

Banned
Wiitard said:
I particularly want to stress how pleased I am that Lapsed was not given a second chance. Those should be reserved for people like gentle Drinky or noble Tabris. Lapsed, on the other hand, has show such a disregard for forum etiquette and was so clearly immune to reasoning that no other measure would have been appropriate.

Well, I endorse this statement.

Deku said:
Yes it has. Although considering where it started, which is lower sales yoy at the start of 2007, what's happening now has only put it back on track of your typical product lifecycle, where the sales accelerate as prices come down, network effects increases and adoption speeds up out of the early adopter markets.

Software is still a serious concern, but Sony's got to at least be happy that the hardware is moving pretty well. I think they make a profit on it, so added hardware sales even if the affect nothing else are at least a bittersweet bonus.

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:

well, you know your numbers, for sure. I said PS1 because of the popularity, not only in sales but in mindshare.

back in those days playstation was extremelly popular and discussed, it was the best novelty ever, which wasn't the case last gen with PS2, regardless of sales. Perhaps PS2 did better in sales but people were quieter and more discreet with it.

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Software is still a serious concern, but Sony's got to at least be happy that the hardware is moving pretty well. I think they make a profit on it, so added hardware sales even if the affect nothing else are at least a bittersweet bonus.

They may well be profiting from each unit sold. But the business model in this industry is to make the money from games. That's where the cash is. There won't be enough hardware units sold to generate much profits.

As an aside I have noted before that Sony's next PSP should be more of a CE device, sold at a huge premium, so it can be profitable right from the start and not depend on software sales. If they can treat it like their walkmans, and TVs and sell software on the side, then they'll find a very confortable niche. Right now, this bump is doing anything but prolonging the inevitable failure of the platform. And as you noted, from a software standpoint, its a disaster and publishers all over are scaling back commitments.

d[-_-]b said:
And I was wondering where my chart guy was.
Can we also get a graph comparing the first 52 weeks and other consoles, mainly sucessful ones ;D.
Online I've only got Famitsu data from 2000 on and Media Create data from 2002 on, as numbers before then have some holes. That said, I guess I can add in GBA, DS, and PSP.
Cumulative or Weekly

Note that Wii is currently ahead of DS by Famitsu numbers, but it's not quite there when I do the regular Media Create comparison weekly. Famitsu and Media Create have some big DS discrepancies.

sphinx said:
well, you know your numbers, for sure. I said PS1 because of the popularity, not only in sales but in mindshare.

back in those days playstation was extremelly popular and discussed, it was the best novelty ever, which wasn't the case last gen with PS2, regardless of sales. Perhaps PS2 did better in sales but people were quieter and more discreet with it.
The difference I guess being that PS1 was the new hotness, while PS2 was just a continuation of big success.

Wiitard said:
Do I? Why would I? Just because I'm expressing my beliefs just like I'm sure he was expressing his? I'm sure he firmly believed that US leaders and people have wronly attacked the peaceful people of Iraq.

This is unheard of in Media Create threads: as it should be - market conditions in Japan are in constant state of flux and every week is nothing like the last or the next.

A problem I have with GAF lately is that I'm afraid of posting something entirely reasonable out of "fear" of being banned. Getting rid of lapsed while other trolls are able to run rampant is retarded. Heh, there's a chance those of us who disagree with Laptsed banning will get banned, too.

I'll probably get a message from a mod saying "Complaining about Lapsed won't bring him back. But feel free to join him in bandland.

This ban is set to expire 3-31-07."

I don't like how the MC thread has derailed into a "Save our Lapsed" thread, but I really am disappointed to see quality - even if one-sided - posters get kicked. So what if he posted similar stuff all the time...most people do that here in less intelligent ways everyday.

fanduck

Considering New Super Mario Bros is still in the top 20, I wonder how well Super Paper Mario will sell. Since the previous Paper Mario games didn't sell too well in Japan, I wonder if they'll associate SPM more with the Paper Mario series (and sell less than a million) or more with NSMB (and sell way more than a million).

Kafel

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
I'll probably get a message from a mod saying "Complaining about Lapsed won't bring him back. But feel free to join him in bandland.

This ban is set to expire 3-31-07."

Yeh but the worst at the moment is the disregard from the mods for this story. Keeping their mouth shut rather than giving us a clue.

d[-_-]b

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Online I've only got Famitsu data from 2000 on and Media Create data from 2002 on, as numbers before then have some holes. That said, I guess I can add in GBA, DS, and PSP.
Cumulative or Weekly

Note that Wii is currently ahead of DS by Famitsu numbers, but it's not quite there when I do the regular Media Create comparison weekly. Famitsu and Media Create have some big DS discrepancies.

The difference I guess being that PS1 was the new hotness, while PS2 was just a continuation of big success.
Thanks, seems like GBA is the one to beat in sales cumulatively for 52 weeks better known as a year. Wow it's ahead the DS and almost on par with the PS2.

Wiitard

Banned
Kafel said:
Yeh but the worst at the moment is the disregard from the mods for this story. Keeping their mouth shut rather than giving us a clue.

The very best part, of course, is the courage people who have interacted with Lapsed at Media Create treads over many months are showing in dissociating themselves from that persona deservingly non grata. It's is not like he has ever contributed anything to the discussion, had his posts cited and all of his predictions were fanboy drivel which never turned out right. This collective courage makes me trully feel warm inside.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Pureauthor said:
No tongues.
Stingy :/
ghostlyjoe said:
Lapsed -- I respected his posts because he was careful to support his statements and made logical extrapolations, but all the complaints made against him are true. He was a hit-and-run poster and he said the same things over and over and over again. Annoying if you disagree with him, sure.
Well I agree that his posting was... let's say... consistent in its trend, but then again it's not like the trend of MC reports varied much in the past 12 months or so...

But hit-and-run poster? I'm not a native english speaker so I'd interpret that as "he'd drop his post and then leave the thread", and that's not quite the impression I got from him, he was always happy to discuss stuff and usually participated in the threads, I think.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
enishi said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10029190115.html

[PS2] Musou Orichi - 400k
[PS2] Rouge Galaxy DC - 10k

[NDS] Dragon Ball Z RPG - 60k
[NDS] Crayon Shin-chan - 30k
[NDS] Front Mission 1st - 20k
[NDS] Prof. Layton - 50k, LTD > 350k
[NDS] Mojipittan - 60k, LTD ~140k
[NDS] Yoshi's Island DS LTD > 500k

[Wii] Wii Play LTD > 1m (Famitsu number tracking lower than MC)
[Wii] Wario Ware SM LTD < 500k
[Wii] Zelda TP LTD < 500k

[X360] Armored Core 4 - 10k

Hardware
===============
NDS ~150k (shipment increased)
PS3 ~20k
PSP ~40k
Wii ~80k
Things are back to normal then and PS3 has like 2 games coming out between now and June.

I'm trying to ignore the derail, but I guess the thread is finished tonight anyway.

Lapsed did not contribute in a meaningful way to the dialogue. He would pop into threads, post his usual post, and vanish. On the rare occasions where he defended any of the counterpoints brought against him, he do so with a heavy-handed "I'm right, so there" vibe. Check his posts in the Angry Nintendo Nerd thread. He acted like he and he alone knew the truth of the industry and that we were all children to be led around.

Discussion in a forum is supposed to go like this: "Argument -> Objection -> Response -> Objection -> Response" and so on. Lapsed contributions went "Argument -> Objection -> Exit Stage Right". That's not discussion, that's evangelizing.

Anyway, I'm dropping this, and I suggest you do too. As much as you might see it as draconian, openly questioning moderator decisions is a pretty fast way to get the boot, in my experience. If you want to talk about it further, I recommend you use the links and message the moderators directly.

Finn

If the ~80k HW for Wii is true, I'm excited for this evening's MC thread. Nothing like basking in the glow of healthy Nintendo numbers. Am I a true GAFer yet?

sphinx

the piano man
Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyway, I'm dropping this, and I suggest you do too.

It was really annoying having people speaking about a random banned guy instead of the awesome shinobi numbers.

for ****s sake, Wii climbed back to 80K WITHOUT a stellar game. What does that mean for the SPM week????

and the DS how much can that thing rape everything else?

Is like the DS has a barnyard full of dead horses and it comes every day to beat them to (more) death to have some fun. Nasty and intriguing.

Evlar

Banned
Finn said:
If the ~80k HW for Wii is true, I'm excited for this evening's MC thread. Nothing like basking in the glow of healthy Nintendo numbers. Am I a true GAFer yet?
Ehh, you're getting close. No hardware numbers tonight, they're released on Thursday evenings. A common rookie mistake.

Finn

The Sphinx said:
Ehh, you're getting close. No hardware numbers tonight, they're released on Thursday evenings. A common rookie mistake.
Ah, Finn am sad. I actually knew that, but for whatever reason it slipped my mind.

for ****s sake, Wii climbed back to 80K WITHOUT a stellar game. What does that mean for the SPM week????
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on these boards before, but are we really expecting SPM to be that huge in Japan (or NA for that matter)? I'd love for it to do well, but I have trouble seeing it happen. Does anyone have the LTD numbers for Thousand Year Door?

Neomoto said:
While interesting that it has increased, it is still "a lot" below the norm we saw a while back (like 180k iirc).

Nice, strange it is upped from last week wich means it has broken the trend by increasing shipments for 2 weeks straight. Especially considering the euro ps3 launch.

Very nice sales for Yoshi, MHP2 and Layton again.

I wonder how much of an impact Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will have. Seeing it is a crossover of 2 of the most populair videogame characters (Sonic might not sell well anymore in Japan but I think he's still a very populair gameicon) and a very populair sport event, will be released during this holiday and on BOTH DS and Wii! Holy shit.

And I bet that new Square Enix collaboration with Disney is on a Nintendo platform too, wich could be very big too.

Add into the mix, a few sponsorship deals and you could be looking at the next member of the 2+million club. Imagine if all over the stadiums, during adverts, commercials, billboards the game is advertised. Olympics 2008 Sponsored by Mario and Sonic. I was going to go on about having mascots, but they already have 5 Olympics 08 mascots. So that wouldn't work.

I doubt Nintendo would do all that, but I am sure they will do a little promotional work. Especially some TV sponsorships. In the UK, lots of TV programs have a small "Sponsored by Nintendo DS" at the beginning and end of each commercial break.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sure that 3 platforms are too many to give a heavy support for them all but lets focus on SCEJ. What was their last serious PS2 effort? Minna no Tennis back in September, and there is nothing more coming from them for PS2. The less we talk about PSP the best for SCEJ, they haven't done anything for it since... since... I can't even come up with a recent SCEJ effort on the platform. Lets put Jeanne D'Arc because they published it but thats weak. And well, not even going to add a comment about SCEJ doings in PS3...lets say it in 1 word: Genji :/
I don't deny that the current support is lacking at best. I mean even the most faithful PSP supporter should have been concerned after the non-show that was last E3 for PSP. What I was trying to say is that PSP is not Sony's prime concern right now. It's selling at a steady pace and while it's no match to the DS' success it seems it has found it's niche (albeit one without significant software sales apart from key titles).

PS3 needs a boost and a steady support of software if they really want it to take off at all. Third party multi platform releases won't do the job and with the disheartening sales in both the Americas and Japan (Europe being the wildcard despite the seemingly strong launch) I guess Sony is concentrating a lot of effort on the PS3.

fanduck said:
Considering New Super Mario Bros is still in the top 20, I wonder how well Super Paper Mario will sell. Since the previous Paper Mario games didn't sell too well in Japan, I wonder if they'll associate SPM more with the Paper Mario series (and sell less than a million) or more with NSMB (and sell way more than a million).
I asked myself the same question. For me it's pretty much a wildcard, even if the previews were all glowing and with the phenomenal success of NSMB I just ain't convinced it'll be a surefire hit.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm trying to ignore the derail, but I guess the thread is finished tonight anyway.

Lapsed did not contribute in a meaningful way to the dialogue. He would pop into threads, post his usual post, and vanish. On the rare occasions where he defended any of the counterpoints brought against him, he do so with a heavy-handed "I'm right, so there" vibe. Check his posts in the Angry Nintendo Nerd thread. He acted like he and he alone knew the truth of the industry and that we were all children to be led around.

Discussion in a forum is supposed to go like this: "Argument -> Objection -> Response -> Objection -> Response" and so on. Lapsed contributions went "Argument -> Objection -> Exit Stage Right". That's not discussion, that's evangelizing.

Anyway, I'm dropping this, and I suggest you do too. As much as you might see it as draconian, openly questioning moderator decisions is a pretty fast way to get the boot, in my experience. If you want to talk about it further, I recommend you use the links and message the moderators directly.

Adding spoiler for those who don't want thread derailment.

I'm just wondering and hoping he was warned by mods that he was acting in a manner that was considered banworthy. I understand, at least I think I understand, why he was banned - I even had a post or two in the past sort of talking about how Lapsed annoyed me - but I don't think the forum benefits at all by the subtraction of his somewhat questionable approach.

Basically, it's my biggest issue here - the inconsistent and seemingly arbitrary policies. I'm well aware that this forum is a privelige and not a right, but something feels really off around here lately. It's even more bothersome when we're told to "hush up" and speak directly with moderators on issues that transcend each specific instance and affect the whole board.

Bleh...I know there are other alternatives, but this used to be the best section of the web. It's still my favorite place to frequent daily, but I hate to see sketchy rules from mods that frequently swing the ban stick or odd censorships lower the overall quality of the forum. Banning should take place on users who troll or otherwise make this place worse - Lapsed was not one of these guys.

Anywho, looking forward to this weeks numbers. Wasn't last week an "up" week for Nintendo? Is this week going to finall break that cycle and actually see the Wii increase again? I sure hope wo. :)

sphinx

the piano man
Finn said:
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on these boards before, but are we really expecting SPM to be that huge in Japan (or NA for that matter)? I'd love for it to do well, but I have trouble seeing it happen. Does anyone have the LTD numbers for Thousand Year Door?

spm WILL have some impact.

In a scale of 1 to 10, it can be as low as 1 or as fantastic as 10 but zero impact is out of the question. So we'll have to see how big the impact will be.

sphinx said:
spm WILL have some impact.

In a scale of 1 to 10, it can be as low as 1 or as fantastic as 10 but zero impact is out of the question. So we'll have to see how big the impact will be.

I'm actually kind of surprised how people seem to "forget" about SPM when talking about the Wii. After the amazing success of NSMB, there's clearly a market for more side-scrolling Mario action. Perhaps the unique art style could throw off a few people, but I totally expect this to hit the million sales mark.

I know I'll be making my contribution.

Finn

Forgotten Ancient said:
I know I'll be making my contribution.
As will I. It'll be the first game I've bought for the Wii since January.

I'm actually kind of surprised how people seem to "forget" about SPM when talking about the Wii. After the amazing success of NSMB, there's clearly a market for more side-scrolling Mario action.
NSMB was a throwback, though, to the platforming Mario action of yore. Nintendo marketed it a certain way that I don't necessarily see them doing for SPM.

andthebeatgoeson

sphinx said:
It means to me that it's possible they weren't hoarding for golden week and maybe for something else (to combat PS3 European launch or even just to catch up in Europe). Unless they are just gonna sit on those for another week or 2. But why not continue the hoarding?

Also, maybe production dipped? Who knows?

Good riddance regarding Lapsed.

You read one Lapsed post, you've read them all. Then he would hamfist the "lapsed" angle into situations where it wasn't even warranted.

sphinx said:

I can't agree with this. Certainly I guess it's all a matter of perpsective, but I don't recall the PS1 being anywhere near the phenomenon the PS2 was/is.

sphinx

the piano man
Mariah Carey said:
I can't agree with this. Certainly I guess it's all a matter of perpsective, but I don't recall the PS1 being anywhere near the phenomenon the PS2 was/is.

the PS/N64 era was in a whole different league in regards to public enthusiasm. Just look at the hype for Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil, Mario 64, among many others. People were absolutely mad for those games, completely crazy.

Even today, don't you dare imply ocarina of time is NOT the best game of all time, or that Final fantasy 7 isn't the best in the series or that the pinnacle of 3d platforming isn't embodied in Mario 64. That kind of craziness was never achieved last gen. well...maybe Halo with the shooter genre but that's an american thing, not global.

Even with the PS2 huge sales, the hype is lukewarm compared to that.

it all comes to personal impressions, I suppose.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
the PS/N64 era was in a whole different league in regards to public enthusiasm. Just look at the hype for Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil, Mario 64, among many others. People were absolutely mad for those games, completely crazy.

Even today, don't you dare imply ocarina of time is NOT the best game of all time, or that Final fantasy 7 isn't the best in the series or that the pinnacle of 3d platforming isn't embodied in Mario 64. That kind of craziness was never achieved last gen. well...maybe Halo with the shooter genre but that's an american thing, not global.

Watch me.

Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. Final Fantasy VII is not.

*goes back to playing DS Lite*

As for Lapsed, I'm sure the Mods have their reasons for canning him, but I for one appreciated that there was some kind of voice on GAF for those that the last generation or so of consoles left behind.

justjohn

Mariah Carey said:
As for Lapsed, I'm sure the Mods have their reasons for canning him, but I for one appreciated that there was some kind of voice on GAF for those that the last generation or so of consoles left behind.
hi there mariah :)

ksamedi

sphinx said:

Well, it probably was so because of the 3D thing. All the major franchises went to 3D and that got people excited.
Now people are excited about the PS3s 4D.

VerTiGo

Banned
Wii hardware increase is kinda surprising when looking at how Wii Sports numbers haven't really increased. Hopefully it means that more games like Fire Emblem and Zelda are being picked up alongside the console for the time being. I'd like to see some healthier sales across the board as opposed to Wii Sports being the only stellar seller on the console.

Top Bottom